What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is a good nucleus in dynasty? (1 Viewer)

Right now my quarterback and No. 1 wide receiver are the only players I rely on in my first-year (and my first-ever) dynasty league. Unfortunately my first three picks were Slaton, K. Smith and Barber.

So I'd like to ask you guys what is the preferred way to build a solid foundation in dynasty when your draft hasn't gone as planned, which positions, how deep, etc. Thanks and sorry in advance if this is the wrong section. Fear and Loathing, please respond, that would be much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Young RBs, middle-aged QBs, and old WRs. Can usually compete every year. Try not to be the overly old or overly young team. Make it so you can phase out players fairly evenly over the years. Fire sales rarely work out.

People tend to value youth too much in dynasties. If you keep planning to compete in the future, you'll never compete in the present. Don't be afraid to trade or draft for veterans. Don't be afraid to trade a high rookie pick for a good vet that will be an important piece to your team. This works especially with WRs and QBs, which can stick around for a long time. Old HBs are dangerous to invest in.

[ppr] Get a franchise QB and load up on young WR's. You can always deal them & they have a far greater life span.

Don't get stuck with the young overdrafted mediocre replacement talents of the world at RB [Kevin Smith, Steve Slaton, Steve Slaton, Steve Slaton, LeSean McCoy [call it a hunch. You'll always see the abandoned teams as those that swung and missed on these guys [the list of these guys in the past 5-6 years is lengthy]

Last edited by a moderator:
DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart

Greg Jennings

Santonio Holmes

Percy Harvin

My core is great, I love it. My QBs are McNabb/Favre.

Went to the championship last year, I have a first round pick from one of the worst teams in the league. I am happy with my nucleus.

DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan StewartGreg JenningsSantonio HolmesPercy HarvinMy core is great, I love it. My QBs are McNabb/Favre. Went to the championship last year, I have a first round pick from one of the worst teams in the league. I am happy with my nucleus.
i think he was asking in general :(

DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan StewartGreg JenningsSantonio HolmesPercy HarvinMy core is great, I love it. My QBs are McNabb/Favre. Went to the championship last year, I have a first round pick from one of the worst teams in the league. I am happy with my nucleus.
IN before everyone shows how much better their team is. (FWIW, I have Brees, AD, CJ, AJ, Moss and Witten)Generally speaking, draft good players. Don't worry about position, I like core players - the guys that will remain on my team for the next 5 years or so and not need to be replaced. Not necessarily the top scorers at their position, but guys who will not be replaced any time soon - big Ben is probably the easiest example. QB - age doesn't matter until 35RB - hard to get true studs so unless you can get a true elite talent like CJ, AD, SJax, or MJD, I probably won't take a 2nd tier RB in the initial draft unless they fall to value age matters the most here.WR - You can still find value here outside the top 10. WRs in the 27-30 age group are generally undervalued and even old guys produce. TE - Kind of like RB except feel free to take the older studs like Gonzo.

IN before everyone shows how much better their team is. (FWIW, I have Brees, AD, CJ, AJ, Moss and Witten)Generally speaking, draft good players. Don't worry about position, I like core players - the guys that will remain on my team for the next 5 years or so and not need to be replaced. Not necessarily the top scorers at their position, but guys who will not be replaced any time soon - big Ben is probably the easiest example. QB - age doesn't matter until 35RB - hard to get true studs so unless you can get a true elite talent like CJ, AD, SJax, or MJD, I probably won't take a 2nd tier RB in the initial draft unless they fall to value age matters the most here.WR - You can still find value here outside the top 10. WRs in the 27-30 age group are generally undervalued and even old guys produce. TE - Kind of like RB except feel free to take the older studs like Gonzo.
Well I've already made several mistakes, starting with my draft (Slaton-Kevin Smith). I'm trying to make up ground for those two gaffes but it's nearly impossible because you'll never truly make up for bad picks in the first and second rounds. Thanks for all the help except the guy who just posted his team to gloat

For what it's worth, I wouldn't give up on Kevin Smith yet. Look at Smith's situation this year:

- Bad offensive line

- Rookie QB who is struggling.

- Touch Schedule

- CJ has been banged up and missed time.

I think Smith is an above average NFL RB, and I think Detroit is heading in the right direction. This is a dynasty, so be patient.

Good luck.

This year was our 1st year in an IDP,PPR dynasty. The 1st ever for most of us . Draft was held in july. My roster is listed. I drafted for a youth, talent combo. I found that to be a pretty successful combo. Peyton was not drafted, I traded for him. The only mistake I felt I made was waiting to long on QB. My 1st qb taken was orton in the 10th rd. I felt he was going to come around and do well, but this was definitely my weakest position.I drafted 4th btw.

Sometimes the draft dictates your picks, I have always drafted best player available unless I was getting way overloaded at 1 position.The way I see it you can't go wrong with talent regardless of position. This sounds obvious but I have seen many drafts where owners use a designated order such as rb,rb,wr,qb-or rb,wr,qb, etc. I'm not a fan of this system.

Users who are viewing this thread