What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the best mattress? (4 Viewers)

We went ahead and bought the 13-inch Bed-in-a-Box and we're liking it so far. It sleeps just slightly warm compared to the inner spring we were sleeping on before, but not as warm as when we were sleeping on a memory foam topper. I think the 2" bamboo top cover is designed to displace some of the heat you feel when you lay directly on memory foam.

We went ahead and bought the 13-inch Bed-in-a-Box and we're liking it so far. It sleeps just slightly warm compared to the inner spring we were sleeping on before, but not as warm as when we were sleeping on a memory foam topper. I think the 2" bamboo top cover is designed to displace some of the heat you feel when you lay directly on memory foam.
tired of the back aching. So close to doing this.

We got this king platform for $180 instead of the foundation and frame. Works beautifully and has lots of storage underneath.

We got this king platform for $180 instead of the foundation and frame. Works beautifully and has lots of storage underneath.
Interesting. Have to see if it will work with our frame. I suppose it will. I was planning on using our existing box springs and if needed throw some plywood over it.

Interesting. Have to see if it will work with our frame. I suppose it will. I was planning on using our existing box springs and if needed throw some plywood over it.
It IS the frame. Your way would work just as good though, but you'd definitely want to put the plywood on top of the box springs.

It IS the frame. Your way would work just as good though, but you'd definitely want to put the plywood on top of the box springs.
Yeah, misspoke. Was thinking more about the wood side rails. Have to see how the height of this frame sits in relation to the side rails and how high the mattress would sit versus our existing setup.

I've worked for a large mattress retailer for about 8 years now (one that was ranked fairly highly in a recent Consumer Reports article), and I will tell you - be weary of any consumer reports-type articles telling you what mattress you should own. The bottom line is that backs are finicky. What works for one may not work for another. Therefore, you need to make sure you shop somewhere that has a comfort guarantee, in writing. Unfortunately, our industry is full of people with less than honest intentions. Therefore, get everything in writing. Costco, for obvious reasons is a decent place to buy a mattress, but don't expect any type of help in selecting a bed, or recomendations based on your sleeping problems.

As far as the warranties are concerned, again, our industry has some shady people in it. It's too bad, but if you take it up with the manufacturer then you'll definitely get some service. Also, I know that some people get a bad impression of a warranty because they don't understand what they cover, and why they cover what they do. A sag has to be X inches to be considered a defect. The reason for that is foams conform to your body if they are doing what they are supposed to. Seriously, if you have a mattress that's not just rock hard and has no give, if you sleep on a mattress for 6 months and there is no impression, then call the store you buy the bed from. Something is wrong. The 2 exceptions to this rule (and it makes zero sense to me why) seems to be Sleep Number Bed, and Tempurpedic. Even the other brands of the all foam beds I've sold had this issue (Sealy, Simmons, and some cheaper brands as well). I don't know why these 2 brands are like this, but they are. I have my own reservations about the Sleep Number bed, but that's more because my wife and I like to, um, cuddle, and it was difficult for us to do this on that bed. However, they are a very good product as far as durability, support, and general comfort go.

Feel free to ask me any questions, I'll try to check this thread regularly, I have a ton of knowledge about beds, and I might as well use it for good, as opposed to the evil that is trying to make a buck by slingin' springs.

Cos, just a question, what happened to make you feel that way about the retailers themselves? Again, I know that there's some - issues in our industry, but the warranties are the manufacturer's and a lot of times the retailer just processes them. I'm sure you were wronged somewhere, and that's too bad, but I'm in the mood for a story - care to share?
:shrug: I bought a Serta Pillowtop for 1800.00 with a ten year warranty. It is 8 years old and starting to sag a little in the middle. I call Serta and they need my original receipt to honor the warranty. After 8 years I have no idea where that receipt is. The local store I bought it from is no longer in business so I have no way of getting a copy from them. I flip the mattress and find the serial number and date the mattress was made. I call back Serta tell them the store was out of busienss and give them the info and that the mattress was made on 10-2-2002. They would not budge.My next mattress will be from Costco, in fact almsot everything I buy now is from Costco due to their return policies and they way the stand behind what they sell.

Looking at mattresses again. We found a floor model sealy embody(?) for 1/2 of for a grand total of around $1700. That seems ridiculously high to me but I haven't rolled out of bed in years without a sore back. I hate buying mattresses as much as I hate buying furniture because I know the mark up is outrageous. I also don't like the idea of buying a mattress countless people have been rolling all over for the past several months. If I buy new how much room for negotiations should there be?

Simmons Beautyrest has been the best bed my wife and I have purchased. I would seriously try them out. If not then shove some real money out there and get one of those temperpedic that folks rave about. Dux is also very expensive and probably worth the money.

Simmons Beautyrest has been the best bed my wife and I have purchased. I would seriously try them out. If not then shove some real money out there and get one of those temperpedic that folks rave about. Dux is also very expensive and probably worth the money.
Just bought one of these last night. Sure I got screwed but I was tired and didn't feel like negotiating any longer. He tried to give me a song and dance about the computer won't let him going any lower blah blah blah.1100 delivered and the old ones carted away :popcorn: supposedly 400 cheaper then the sticker :P

bshell27 said:
Mose said:
just got an email from FedEx that there is a bedinabox on my front porch!
Come back after trying it out. I am sold on the bed, but can't pulll the trigger.
will do. Give me a couple of days of sleeping on it. This is assuming one of my neighbors didn't steal it off my porch already...

My friend's a got pretty good mattress in the back of his van. I'll ask his what he's got and get back to you.

We've had a Serta Vera Wang for a few months now, it's really soft but I'm not sold on it:

1- It definitely leaves an impression from where you sleep. It is supposed to do this? It's not sag because there still a peak in the middle.

2- My shoulders hurt after a long sleep. Maybe a more firm mattress?

3- Has anyone have experience with the Vera Wang foam? Real deal or just hype?

I have the Sealy Posturepedic Plush mattress and box spring for about $800 including tax from Macy's. It is really comfy and I sleep like a log every night. :lmao:

Night one was awesome! Wife got up to pee twice she said, and I didn't even notice. The foundation looked laughable in pieces when I opened the box, but once assembled it looked like normal box springs/foundation. The mattress was about the size of a pillow and vacuum sealed. I poked a hole in the bag, and it started to expand into a really large and impressive size. It made our old pillow top mattress look like a child's bed.

No cons so far!

We bought a bed from Bed In A Box several months ago and we could not be happier with it. Here is a review on my purchase of this mattress from another thread. Link
:mellow:
Are you Bed-in-a-Box fans still happy with your purchase? Thinking about pulling the trigger today. Anyone?
Over a year and we couldn't be happier with our Bed-in-a-Box. It was one of the cheapest beds we have ever bought (we always went high end) and it has held up by far the best. No need to turn it, flip, nothing. Highly recommend getting the largest one you can with the bamboo top.
Dot

Mose said:
I got one as well...but it's still in the garage. Decided to paint the walls and replace the carpet first. Since we're replacing the carpet in the bedroom we're also replacing the carpet in the hallways and other bedrooms. Which means my hoarder wife has to clean all the #### out of the spare bedroom. Might be a while. :mellow:

Got a Simmons Beautyrest King bed from Sleepy's back in June for $1100 (when we first spoke to the salesman, the price he quoted us was $3600. After about 1.5 hours, we had him down to $1100. Had I waited another day, probably would've gone under a grand but I just wanted the thing at that point). Almost bought a Kingsdown/Sleep to Live model for $2500 a week earlier but thankfully found some bad reviews and backed out of it.Our model is pretty soft, but not so much that we sink into it. It's the best sleep I've ever had, and I have a bad back/neck. I think the biggest difference for me was finally getting good quality pillows, something most people don't factor in quite enough.
You can negotiate them like crazy. I had a similar experience to this.I got a Simmons Beautyrest Black.Entered the store and it was listed at $5500. I walked out with it for $1000.
Please provide some details on how you talked them down.I frequently hear people say they talked the seller down on xxx product and wonder how. I always feel like the other dude is smirking inside when I try to do so.
Im interested in the haggling technique too for a store that doesnt price match. How do you get from 5000 sticker to 1000 out the door?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mose said:
I got one as well...but it's still in the garage. Decided to paint the walls and replace the carpet first. Since we're replacing the carpet in the bedroom we're also replacing the carpet in the hallways and other bedrooms. Which means my hoarder wife has to clean all the #### out of the spare bedroom. Might be a while. :rolleyes:
Is the price of new carpet worth her going through stuff? Mine is finally starting to go through stuff and get rid of things but it's slow going. Sorry that was off topic.I'm sick of waking up with a sore back, well actually body but at the same time I'm cheap (with that said I will spend to keep it over the long haul). As anybody tried multiple of these beds and can compare them?

Pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new Sleep Number mattress. Just seems like you can't really go wrong as it's more or less multiple mattresses in one for both you and a bed-mate. Has a 30 day test period where you can return for 100% refund if dislike. Also conforms to 5/10+ years down the road depending on how your body changes over that time (depending if you need firmer or softer surface for injuries, weight fluctations, etc.)

Other than being expensive is there any negatives about these?

Also, has anybody that purchased one done any negotiating down? I briefly broached the subject and the said can't negotiate lower as the computers won't allow it to manually adjust pricing (not sure if BS or not)

Right now deciding between the P5 and P6 model....basically for $300 more the P6 model has a 3" pillowtop cushioning compared to 2" of pillowtop cushioning. Not sure if it's really worth it.

They have some MLK sale thing going on until Monday and this was our quote:

- 24 months 0% financing

- P5 Queen Mattress:$1,700 (regularly $2,000) (P6 Queen: $2,000- regularly $2,500)

- Delivery/setup/removal of old mattress: $160

- med/firm pillow: $56 (regularly $70)

- firm/xtra firm pillow: $64 (regularly $80)

- Mattress pad with special temperature dispersion: $189 (regularly $270)

Total for P5: $2,291 ($95/mo. with financing)

Total for P6: $2,607 ($109/mo with financing)

Wonder if unable to negotiate on the mattress, if I can ask for free delivery and free pillows or something possibly?

Bump for morning crowd. Mainly curious if you can somehow bargain down a sleep number bed (see previous post)

Woah. Decided to do some more digging on the Select Comfort sleep number bed and came across this...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/furniture/select.html

Basically 50+ pages of complaints about it being decent for a year and then nothing but problems with air leakage, terrible customer service and discovery that the 20 year warranty really isnt much of a warranty at all needing to pay for all kinds of shipping and replacement parts.

If you really think about it they are just really glorified air mattresses with mechanical parts/motors. The combination of air and electronics being reliable over a 10+ period in something used every single day for 7+ hours at a time is a risky proposition.

Safe to say Im very skeptical now.

I just wrote "midwest_kc" a PM with the below message, but if any of you have any thoughts I'm all ears.

--------------------------

Looking for some of your expertise.

I went through all of the mattress threads with a fine tooth comb and came up with the below notes. Want to get your take. (especially on the latex bed options...I don't know anything about them or if they come in a soft pillowtop type option or not)

Some quick background:

- Went to check out the Select Comfort Sleep Number bed. Seemed good, and we were close to pulling the trigger, but then I found a site which had 50+ pages of bad reviews (good for a year and then all kinds of problems with air leakage, terrible customer service, bad warranty, etc) so put me off.

- Both me and the gf had a 35-45 setting on the beds if that means anything to you in regards to the amount of softness we'd desire.

- We were debating between the P5 and P6 models..like a pillowy top (not hard surface)

- We fully understand we're making an investment here and are willing to go up to approx. $2K (but would prefer lower $1K if possible)

- Right now sleep on a 13 yr old Sealy Cornell Plush pillowtop with a topper purchased at Target (2" memory foam + 1.5" feather topper combo). Comfy overall, but starting to sag in the middle and just time for a new purchase.

Here are my misc. notes I took while going through all threads which were of importance to me:

- Tempurpedic higher level with pillowtop (cloud supreme) (heat issue? Better in mattress than toppers as matress has built in airflow systm) (foam will stink for a couple days and foam will soften up after a week ot two)

- Bragada is similar to Tempurpedic (no airflow system for heat?)

- Costco online equals easy return

- Costco Novaform Pure Comfort is similar to Tempurpedic but cheaper and possibly better breathing foam (still sleeps hot though)

- Simmons Beautyrest best coil mattress (St Gregory plush or classic line similar to Heavenly bed) (go upper end versions)

- Stearns and foster coil is softer feel

- Research latex beds (Stearns and Foster) (Sealy latex...benefits of tempurpedic but no sinking in and no heat issues)

- Bed in a box with bamboo top so not sleeping directly on foam (mattress only, not foundation- put plywood over existing box spring)

- Stay away from Sleep to live beds (wear out quickly & bad warranty)

- Westin Heavenly bed? (pillowtop vers) (wear out quickly?)

- Invest in quality pillows (Tempurpedic or Talalay latex)

- Negotiate final price

- Tempurpedic higher level with pillowtop (cloud supreme) (heat issue? Better in mattress than toppers as matress has built in airflow systm) (foam will stink for a couple days and foam will soften up after a week ot two)

- Bragada is similar to Tempurpedic (no airflow system for heat?)

- Costco online equals easy return

- Costco Novaform Pure Comfort is similar to Tempurpedic but cheaper and possibly better breathing foam (still sleeps hot though)

- Simmons Beautyrest best coil mattress (St Gregory plush or classic line similar to Heavenly bed) (go upper end versions)

- Stearns and foster coil is softer feel

- Research latex beds (Stearns and Foster) (Sealy latex...benefits of tempurpedic but no sinking in and no heat issues)

- Bed in a box with bamboo top so not sleeping directly on foam (mattress only, not foundation- put plywood over existing box spring)

- Stay away from Sleep to live beds (wear out quickly & bad warranty)

- Westin Heavenly bed? (pillowtop vers) (wear out quickly?)

- Invest in quality pillows (Tempurpedic or Talalay latex)

- Negotiate final price
Made the purchase yesterday afternoon.- Was close to doing a Sleep Number, but as noted a few earlier posts reconsidered after hearing bad down the road reviews and really thinking about the bed makeup and how it could definitely lead to issues.

- Wasn't a fan of any of the Tempurpedics. We just didn't like the sinking in feeling and were concerned about the possible "sleeping hot" issue...that would be a big deal for me as I absolutely can't sleep if I'm too warm.

- Tested out a Serta Vera Wang Pillowtop latex bed and it felt really nice. But, tag price was $3K which seemed a bit excessive...know we could've talked down a bit, but put it on our list of possibiliities to consider.

- Finally, laid on a Simmons Beautyrest Marston Lux Pillowtop and knew pretty instantly we found the winner. Come to find out it's actually the same makeup of materials, etc. that they use in the Westin Heavenly Beds (the top layer is a combination of featherbead and memory foam). List price was $2,100, but talked that down by 35% with 12 mo. interest free financing and free delivery/removal of old mattress so we just pulled the trigger. Added a mattress pad for $70 that allowed the possibility of exchange for different mattress if wasn't happy for up to 4 months after purchase. Also threw in 2 nice Tempurpedic soft memory foam style pillows for $100 each and called it a day. Final bill: $1,700.

From my cheatsheet of notes copied above I bolded the ones I eventually went with so appreciate all the help in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Night one was awesome! Wife got up to pee twice she said, and I didn't even notice. The foundation looked laughable in pieces when I opened the box, but once assembled it looked like normal box springs/foundation. The mattress was about the size of a pillow and vacuum sealed. I poked a hole in the bag, and it started to expand into a really large and impressive size. It made our old pillow top mattress look like a child's bed.No cons so far!
Good to hear it was still there for you. How is it holding up?

Are you bed-in-a-box people still happy with your purchase? Thinking of ordering one to replace our old beat up mattress.

Are you bed-in-a-box people still happy with your purchase? Thinking of ordering one to replace our old beat up mattress.
Got the 11" Pac Down Plus. Jury is still out for me. Only been on it for a couple of weeks but it seems comfortable. Wife seems to like it and that's all that matters. ;) She's sleeping better and doesn't have a sore back in the morning now. I still get a sore back when I sleep on my back...but I have back issues that a new mattress probably can't help. Maybe I'll lay the old mattress down in the guest room to get a reminder of how bad it was. :)

:blackdot: Would also like to hear what some of the bed in a box folks think about their beds after a couple of years.

We bought one of those sleep number beds despite my objections. Turns out, I was completely wrong. Best bed I've ever had. It was expensive compared to the others, but warrantied twice as long as anything else out there that we found. No regrets.

Yes. Have had mine 2+ years with no problems. The difference was immediate over my old mattress. I have always been a light sleeper and can wake up at the slightest of sounds but have slept a lot better since getting mine.

Yes. Have had mine 2+ years with no problems. The difference was immediate over my old mattress. I have always been a light sleeper and can wake up at the slightest of sounds but have slept a lot better since getting mine.
Well hopefully we get the same experience because we went ahead and ordered one this morning. Have to say that i'm really hoping I can get some better sleep.

We bought one of those sleep number beds despite my objections. Turns out, I was completely wrong. Best bed I've ever had. It was expensive compared to the others, but warrantied twice as long as anything else out there that we found. No regrets.
Oof I had to sleep on one of those god-forsaken things in a hotel once. Terrible bed. I dunno if that thing was just old (ie offdee's post above) or what... but it was horribly uncomfortable. There was no comfortable air-pressure for us.

Oof I had to sleep on one of those god-forsaken things in a hotel once. Terrible bed. I dunno if that thing was just old (ie offdee's post above) or what... but it was horribly uncomfortable. There was no comfortable air-pressure for us.
Don't have any real-life experience, but from my research found that the first few years seems to always be a positive experience....then about year 4 or so things start to break down in the structure (slow air leaks, doesn't hold desired firmness throughout night, mechanical problems with the pump, etc.), and with that the customer service to handle any of those things are brutal (which makes the warranty kind of pointless). When you really step back and think about it, it makes a lot of sense....something you use for 7 hours everyday for 10+ years combined with air and mechanical components isn't a good bet to last.The two people I personally know that have them kind of reiterated the above same sentiments to some degree. I really hope your experience is different and continues to be a great bed for you though.

Don't have any real-life experience, but from my research found that the first few years seems to always be a positive experience....then about year 4 or so things start to break down in the structure (slow air leaks, doesn't hold desired firmness throughout night, mechanical problems with the pump, etc.), and with that the customer service to handle any of those things are brutal (which makes the warranty kind of pointless). When you really step back and think about it, it makes a lot of sense....something you use for 7 hours everyday for 10+ years combined with air and mechanical components isn't a good bet to last.The two people I personally know that have them kind of reiterated the above same sentiments to some degree. I really hope your experience is different and continues to be a great bed for you though.
My folks have one and have for years, they like them. I don't like the bar in the middle.

just an update that my bedinabox is still making me and the wife happy. It's been 2 months now.

Just noticed this thread got bumped again. We've had a bed-in-a-box for a few years now and still love it. Highly recommended to anyone.

My folks have one and have for years, they like them. I don't like the bar in the middle.
:goodposting: Bar in the middle? Ours doesn't have a bar in the middle. I will say this. I had to sleep on one on a business trip about 10 years ago and it WAS terrible.....brutal. Apparently, they've made some major changes. When they came to put ours together, it was a pretty cool thing to watch. One of the mattresses had some discoloration on it. They put it together anyway and told us all we had to do is call customer service to get a new one and they'd ship it. That's exactly what we did and what happened....no problems.

:thumbup: Bar in the middle? Ours doesn't have a bar in the middle. I will say this. I had to sleep on one on a business trip about 10 years ago and it WAS terrible.....brutal. Apparently, they've made some major changes. When they came to put ours together, it was a pretty cool thing to watch. One of the mattresses had some discoloration on it. They put it together anyway and told us all we had to do is call customer service to get a new one and they'd ship it. That's exactly what we did and what happened....no problems.
But, doesn't that jive with what I wrote earlier.....they start out great, but break down quickly over time. Any chance the one you slept in at the hotel was heavily used, and the one you are presently happy with now is only 1-2 years old?How long have you had your new mattress?

:shrug: Bar in the middle? Ours doesn't have a bar in the middle. I will say this. I had to sleep on one on a business trip about 10 years ago and it WAS terrible.....brutal. Apparently, they've made some major changes. When they came to put ours together, it was a pretty cool thing to watch. One of the mattresses had some discoloration on it. They put it together anyway and told us all we had to do is call customer service to get a new one and they'd ship it. That's exactly what we did and what happened....no problems.
But, doesn't that jive with what I wrote earlier.....they start out great, but break down quickly over time. Any chance the one you slept in at the hotel was heavily used, and the one you are presently happy with now is only 1-2 years old?How long have you had your new mattress?
Time will tell I suppose. It's a year old....great so far and customer service has been great. Everything's done via UPS. It's a plug and play system that's pretty easy to work with.

Have been sleeping on my Bed In A Box mattress for 5 or 6 weeks now and cannot imagine a better nights sleep. What's just as important...no achie joints or back in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread