What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the longest you have kept a player in a dynasty league? (1 Viewer)

David Akers for about 10 years no but I'm a huge Eagles fan and just got lucky with him when I took him as my 2nd kicker in 2000. I still have him in 3 of my 4 leagues

Well, my longest Dynasty startup I have been in is entering our 4th season now. 55 man rosters with IDP, I still have:

Antonio Gates

Michael Bush

Nate Burleson

Shaun Rogers

Chris Gamble

Shawne Merriman

Terrell Suggs

Kamerion Wimbley

Kerry Rhodes

I only have one player (Carson Palmer) who's been with me throughout the five years of my main dynasty league. I also only have two players who were on my team prior to the 2008 rookie draft-Like the OP, I churn players quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had Marvin Harrison for 10 years. Every since our pool started and it turned out I kept him one year too long.

I've had Sage Rosenfels since his rookie year (2001). :thumbup:

But that's simply due to our league having a reserve roster; anyone you pick in the rookie/FA draft goes onto the reserve roster by default, and that's the only way to place someone on your reserve roster. You can't start anyone on reserves, and they stay there until you activate them to your regular roster or you cut them to make room on the reserve roster for new picks. Reserve roster is 10 players max, 3 per position max. Since I've never had reason to activate Rosenfels, never been able to move him in a trade, and never needed to clear space on reserves at QB, he's still there.

I churn quite a bit too, so the "real" player I've held onto longest is probably Rodgers (since his rookie year in 2005). I expect to hang onto him a looooooooooooooooong time.

Also, I'm realizing that out of 19 guys on my regular roster, I drafted all 5 of my RBs as rookies (though I traded Gore away for a bit before getting him back), while I only drafted 2 of the other 17 players (Rodgers, Britt). My QB/WR picks have historically been godawful:

QB: Tee Martin (2000), Sage Rosenfels (2001), Josh McCown (2002), Stefan LeFlors (2005), Trent Edwards (2007)

WR: Sylvester Morris (2000), RJ Soward (2000), Freddie Mitchell (2001), Justin McCareins (2001), Devery Henderson (2004), Brandon Williams (2006), Derek Hagan (2006), Jacoby Jones (2007), James Hardy (2008)

Drafted Torry Holt his rookie year ('99) in my main league and kept until until after the 2007 season. Only other one I had for a long period of time was LT when I traded for him during the '03 season and then traded him away right before last season started. So about 6 years?

I've owned Favre since his ATL days.
:wall: There were only 49 states back then
Totally goofing about that...I did draft Curtis Martin in a Keep 7 league in 1997 and kept him for 9 years...love me the CuMar.Was going to go with the "I have had Ali Aji-Sheik on my roster since 1982...just in case he makes a comeback", but thought that may be too extreme.I do think the posters that have owned Rosenfels and Randle-El need to be reprimanded...

I had Marshall Faulk on my team since day one and he was always a Runnin' Rebel!

He caught my eye in his first game as a freshman at SDSU with 386 yards rushing and 7 TDs vs Pacific. :wall:

Banger said:
LT from his rookie year until last year. What's that 8-9 years?
:X LT from his rookie year but traded him for the 1.2 rookie pick (B. Wells) and D. McFadden.

My team in sig started up in 2006. I drafted Andre Johnson in the 3rd round of our start-up veteran draft, and Mario Williams in the 2nd round of the start-up rookie draft.

I've owned Barry Sanders since the beginning of his rookie season in 1989, and still own him 21 years later. I'm afraid that as soon as i drop him he's going to make his comeback, so i just hold on to him.

Last edited:
I've only been in dynasty since 2007, but the following players have been on my squad since the startup (30 man rosters):

Lee Evans

Kevin Jones (spent a lot of that time on IR)

Sgt. Kellen Winslow II

Ben Rooflesburger

Dallas Cowboys D/ST

Carolina Panthers D/ST

James Jones

As you can tell, I'm a big wheeler and dealer.

We just went through this exercise a couple of weeks ago on my league's message board.

First year of the SFL was 2002...here are the guys still on my roster for at least the last 3 seasons.

8 seasons; 2002 = WR-Chad Johnson-CIN

7; 2003 = S-Troy Polamalu-PIT (draft), LB-Keith Bulluck-TEN (trade) *

6; 2004 = S-Bob Sanders-IND (draft), TE-Kellen WInslow-CLE (draft)

5; 2005 = DT-Luis Castillo-SDC (draft), CB-Nnamdi Asomugha-OAK (draft)

...won 2005 Championship...

4; 2006 = QB-Drew Brees-SDC (trade), RB-Jerious Norwood-ATL (draft), CB-Johnathan Joseph-CIN (draft), WR-Wes Welker-MIA (FA, Week #5)

3; 2007 = LB-Stewart Bradley-PHI (draft), LB-Calvin Pace-ARI (FA, Week #5), CB-Leon Hall-CIN (draft)

* I cut Bulluck yesterday :sad:

League started in 2006 so we are entering our fifth year. 22 man roster.

I still have these guys:

Brees (got him in the 11th round coming off injury and switching teams!)

Gates

Ronnie Brown (was my first round pick)

Lee Evans

It sort of puts in perspective the worry about 'how many years' a guy has and how long you will be able to have him on your roster. In five years I only have 18% of my original roster.

We started in '05

Still have only P. Manning and Antonio Gates from that first season (but I've won 3 of 5 Championships by building around those two :blackdot: )

gandalas said:
Well, my longest Dynasty startup I have been in is entering our 4th season now. 55 man rosters with IDP, I still have:Antonio GatesMichael BushNate BurlesonShaun RogersChris GambleShawne MerrimanTerrell SuggsKamerion WimbleyKerry Rhodes
This isn't a post I would advertise much.

gandalas said:
Well, my longest Dynasty startup I have been in is entering our 4th season now. 55 man rosters with IDP, I still have:Antonio GatesMichael BushNate BurlesonShaun RogersChris GambleShawne MerrimanTerrell SuggsKamerion WimbleyKerry Rhodes
I don't know, for the most part I think those are exactly the kind of guys who wind up sticking around on someone's roster for a long time. Not good enough to trade, not bad enough to cut.

gandalas said:
Well, my longest Dynasty startup I have been in is entering our 4th season now. 55 man rosters with IDP, I still have:

Antonio Gates

Michael Bush

Nate Burleson

Shaun Rogers

Chris Gamble

Shawne Merriman

Terrell Suggs

Kamerion Wimbley

Kerry Rhodes
I don't know, for the most part I think those are exactly the kind of guys who wind up sticking around on someone's roster for a long time. Not good enough to trade, not bad enough to cut.
Except for Gates, I concur.Sincerely,

The Randle El owner for 8 years.

C'mon folks, surely there must be some old-timer who can boast of having had Dan Marino or someone like that his whole career. There was fantasy back then and they did do dynasty/keeper, after a fashion.

I have owned Brett since 1998. I have owned LT since I drafted him as a rookie ans still own him. I have owned Holt since 2002. They all sit on my dynasty roster.

gandalas said:

Antonio Gates

Mr. Dependable at TE for me

Michael BushDrafted in 4th round of initial Rookie Draft - keep waiting on his breakout

Nate BurlesonBeen my #4 or #5 WR all 3 years - top 35 season last year

Shaun RogersActually top-15-20 at D-line in our Tackle-heavy league

Chris GambleTop-15 DB stats 2 years ago...still waiting on a return

Shawne Merrimanmy top LB pick in initial draft - too much potential to cut, value too low to trade

Terrell SuggsEvery year a top-5 to 10 option at D-line

Kamerion WimbleyMy commissioner at draft gave me option to keep him at D-line, so he is also top-15 there

Kerry RhodesStill waiting on promise to blossom - just hanging on at this point
Other than those guys, I trade a LOT. My initial draft included the stinker of Lawrence Maroney at 1.11, but MJD at 2.2. I also managed to come away with the WR group of Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Braylon Edwards (right before his BIG season), Jerrico Cotchery, and Nate Burleson. I tend to trade a lot, but as said above, those guys are either just not too valuable in trades, or young guys/coming off injuries that I am still waiting to pan-out.

Tom Brady from 2002-Present. He has 27,995 passing yards and 207 TDs for me. I've tried to trade him about a dozen times, but he's always seemed to have a low trade value versus production.

awesomeness said:
I've owned Barry Sanders since the beginning of his rookie season in 1989, and still own him 21 years later. I'm afraid that as soon as i drop him he's going to make his comeback, so i just hold on to him.
No kidding.......(I think you might be....) but I know a fella that drafted Sanders in 1992 and didn't cut him from his team until just prior to last year. He had a solid team for years and always had the extra space. And if your statement about fear of dropping him in case he came back is true, my buddy had the exact same fear. Last year he finally folded and cut him.As for me.....I've owned Anquan Boldin since his rookie year, so that is going on 8 years now. Peyton since '04, so 7 years for him. Reggie Wayne going on 6 years. My league has only been in existence since '02 and I don't have anyone left from my original team.I did draft Culpepper in '02 but traded him for Manning prior to the '04 season. It was (and still is) the smartest decision I have ever made in fantasy football.

The Man With No Name said:
I drafted Peyton Manning as a rookie and still have him.
This, and ...
Englishteacher said:
I owned Shaun Alexander his whole career.
this. Though technically, I cut him during the summer of '08 when he was a free agent, so not his "whole" career including the half season he played for Washington in '08.I've also had SJax his whole career, but on a different dynasty team.

From 2003 Zealots startup:

M Bulger

J Delhomme

L Tomlinson

S Smith

H Ward

From 2003 Rookie Draft:

D Clark

T Suggs

From 2003 Zealots startup:M BulgerJ DelhommeL TomlinsonS SmithH WardFrom 2003 Rookie Draft:D ClarkT Suggs
I checked my 04 Zealots startup, and was surprised by how many I still had.Carson PalmerMichael Jenkins ( :mellow: )Jared Allen (31st round pick, I am a genius!)Jason TaylorJulian PetersonLooking at that roster, I took Michael Turner in the 30th round. Don't remember having him, don't remember trading him, but I think I may have not gotten market value. :thumbdown:

On my current roster, I've had Tom Brady (picked up as a FA) and Andre Johnson (drafted) since their rookie years.

C'mon folks, surely there must be some old-timer who can boast of having had Dan Marino or someone like that his whole career. There was fantasy back then and they did do dynasty/keeper, after a fashion.
I did fantasy football back then, but I had never heard of dynasty leagues. Of course, there were only a couple of magazines, no internet, no tickers on tv, etc.

I had Emmitt from his rookie year until he became a Cardinal, he helped me win 3 super bowls in that time (I have no idea how many years that is)

Well, Adam Vinatieri on my original team from 2003. He was my only holdover until I cut him last season. So that's 7 years.

My longest now is the Chicago Bears D/ST, which I've had since 2004.

Other long-term holdouts:

Larry Fitzgerald, 2005

Adrian Peterson, 2007

Owen Daniels, 2007

The majority of my current nucleus was acquired in 2008 and 2009.

Users who are viewing this thread