What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is your worst "bad beat" ever in your FF career? (1 Viewer)

The 2006 Denny Green Cardinals meltdown VS the Bears. He had the Bears D and I was comfortably ahead. You know the rest.

I think it was 2 years ago when Brian Westbrook layed down on the 1 yd line to run the clock instead of scoring! Cost me the game.Also, last year Farve hit S Rice for a touchdown on the last play of the game to beat me!
Wasn't the last play of the game. It led to overtime. I know because that TD reception by Rice won me the championship, although AP nearly fumbled away the newly acquired lead in OT.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was in 2004, but I was knocked out of the playoff race because the team I was playing had Eddie Kennison and Drew Bennett when KC play Tennessee. They both had career games and were able to barely push my opponent ahead. Pure dumb luck. Had I won that game I would have dominated through the playoffs. I still cannot believe that.

Not mine... but a guy in my league was up by 44 points going into Monday's game. PPR league... he had Moss, and his opponent had Patriots D/ST. Patriots D scored 46 points. Moss scored Zero.

Last year, Super Bowl, week 15. Had the top scoring team in the league. My opponent is finished and I'm down less than 6 points. I have DeAngelo Williams AND Longwell playing in the Sunday night game. I was already looking at how I was going to set my lineup.

DeAngelo is up to 2 pts with 5 min left in the 1st qtr and Longwell is lining up for a 39 yard FG that would give me the win. No good. Next series, DeAngelo picks up 4 yards and gets hurt. Still only down 3 pts with Longwell, who hadn't scored less than 5 points the entire year. For the next 3 1/2 agonizing quarters, I watched Minnesota stall drive after drive after drive while Stewart racked up 109 yds and a TD.

DeAngelo never returned. Longwell never attempted another FG. Needing less than 6 points from my #1 RB AND the #4 FG kicker in the league at that point, I managed 1 pt from Longwell, 2.6 from DeAngelo, and lost by 3 pts, losing the Super Bowl as a result. The frustration watching that game is something I'll never forget.

I was playing pot limit omaha hi. A245 with the Ace suited. Flop comes 6 5 3 with two of my suit, giving me a flopped straight with the nut flush redraw. Small blind checks, big blind checks, I bet pot, which puts me all in. Other guy insta-calls. He's got KKQQ with the same spades draw I have... making me a huge favorite. Turn a Q, river a 3, and he makes a runner-runner full house to kill me.Awful.
Playing no limit hold em and I was on the button at the local HorseShoe. I am dealt KK in the pocket. Only one limper just behind me, who is a local grinder with a mouth. I raise substantially, the small blind and big blind fold, leaving only the mouth out of position. Flop comes K 10 9. I had the second worst hand after the flop.

My worst was when Ladainian scored a huge week and Portis was playing the late game. I was up by like 50 pts. Portis scored about 60 in standard PPR.

I was playing pot limit omaha hi. A245 with the Ace suited. Flop comes 6 5 3 with two of my suit, giving me a flopped straight with the nut flush redraw. Small blind checks, big blind checks, I bet pot, which puts me all in. Other guy insta-calls. He's got KKQQ with the same spades draw I have... making me a huge favorite. Turn a Q, river a 3, and he makes a runner-runner full house to kill me.Awful.
Playing no limit hold em and I was on the button at the local HorseShoe. I am dealt KK in the pocket. Only one limper just behind me, who is a local grinder with a mouth. I raise substantially, the small blind and big blind fold, leaving only the mouth out of position. Flop comes K 10 9. I had the second worst hand after the flop.
Still reeling from calling a jackhole's bluff all in with my A8 on a flop of A88. Jackhole sheepishly admitted he was bluffing and showed J4 offsuit. I lost.

Mine just came two weeks ago. Monday night 49ers vs Saints. I was up by 18 on my opponent and held the tie breaker. He had Alex Smith. Smith had 17 points when they had 1st and goal with the clock winding down and definitely looked like a throwing situation.

By some miracle, they hand off to Gore who goes right in the end zone! I can't believe it.

Then I realize they have to go for two and it will most likely be a pass.

Smith hits Vernon Davis at the goal line but it is called no good! I did it! The saints will just run the clock out.

No....wait....official review. 2 point conversion call gets reversed and it is good. Alex Smith gets 19 points and I lose by one to a divison opponent.

If I miss the playoffs by division record, I will be very unhappy.

3 years ago, I was up by 0.45 points on the last play of the Monday Night game. On 4th and 16, my guy, Carson Palmer, throws a 12 yard out to my opponent's guy, Chad Johnson, who inexplicably runs out of bounds instead of cutting upfield for the first down marker. I score 0.6 on the play, opponent scores 1.2, I lose by 0.15 points. :thumbup:

Mine was the Westbrook kneel down from two years ago as well. I still ended up winning that week, but at the end of the season I was tied for first and the first tie-breaker was total points for the season. I lost the championship by 4 points. Westbrook's td would have gotten me my third title in 5 years.

That is why to this day is still get sick when I hear the name Brian Westbrook.

Two stand out. One was this year. My all-play record is currently 43-1. The one week that I didn't have the high score, I happened to play against the only team this season to outscore me, so I'm 3-1. The margin of victory in that game? 0.01 points.

Worse than that though was the FBG Survivor II final a half dozen years ago. I believe it was myself against Purple Haze in a 2 week championship. I had a huge lead after the first week only to see my team implode and his go off the next week to beat me.

I was playing a guy a few years back, he had a six point lead going into Monday night's game. I was done, and he had Rex Grossman left. Grossman throws 7 interceptions, finishes with -8 points, and I win by two.

The league still refers to the game when you have a small lead, to "beware of pulling a Grossman".

Last year. Monday Night Football. Redskins vs. Eagles.

I was trailing by a small margin.

I had Chris Cooley.

My opponent had Brian Westbrook and David Akers.

Westbrook goes out with concussion.

I thought I had it wrapped up.

Chris Cooley limps off the field right before commercial break.

Announcers mention nothing of this throughout the entire game.

I wake up the next day.

Cooley out for the season. And I lost.

Playoffs game with me up 5 points. My opponent only has the KC defense on Monday night. Points only for defense scoring. With 45 seconds left and KC up big (this was from like 7-8 years ago) Dallas QB throws an interception that is returned for a TD. Poured myself a big rum coke at 12:30am l

This one is an absolute classic and Honestly, the only reason I can bear to share it is because I hope that every guy that ever thinks he wants to quit FF and his luck is bad will remember this story.

It is what I call "The Curse of Lee Evans":

It begins in 2006 and I have Lee Evans on my dyansty team. I'm going through the season and he is freakishly inconsistent. I start him and he duds; I sit him and he rocks. I lose 2 games because of him. So, I trade him.

Week 10: I play the guy I trade him to and I'm hoping to catch him on a dud day. BEFORE I EVEN SIT DOWN TO WATCH THE GAMES, Evans has a freaking 83 yard TD. Not even five minutes later, the gametracker says he has TWO TDs; both for 83 yards! I'm thinking " nah, they have an error". Nope! Sure enough: two 83 yard TDs in the first quarter!. He goes on to have what is probably still his career day. I miss the playoffs by one game.

Fast forward to 2007: My team is good and I have a lead in my division and #1 overall record in the league. In week 7, I play the guy I traded him to and Lee Evans has been NOWHERE TO BE FOUND all season, but my opponent starts him because of bye week issues. Evans goes 5/138/1, scores his 1st TD of the year, and I lose by less than 5 points. My lead in the division shrinks.

The very next week, I face my next opponent and on Saturday night, the Lee Evans owner sells high and trades Evans to my opponent. He goes 9/165/1 and scores his 2nd TD of the year and I lose by less than 10. My lead shrinks again.

Week 13: Last week of the season and I am now tied in my division and it comes down to the division winner gets a first round bye; the runner up becomes the #5 seed and has to play next week. Of course, I am playing against Lee Evans again and he hasn't scored a touchdown since the two weeks I played him. In that game, Evans catches 2 balls the entire game and, yup, BOTH WERE TOUCHDOWNS.

I lose the game, I lose the division, I play the following week and my guys fall on their face. I am out of the playoffs. In the next two weeks, My guys explode and I would have had the highest score of any of the playoff teams and would have won the league easily.

That "bad beat" was two years in the making and it almost made me quit FF.

Westbrook's knee at the 1 a couple years back cost me a W in the Semi's where I would've easily won the Championship game the following week :thumbup:

Championship game, we both have multiple players going down the stretch, with all games seemingly coming to an end simultaneously, points are flickering back and forth, all of the games end and I am ahead by 1.45 points. I am basking in the glow of my first championship. I get a call from my opponent (my bro-in-law no less) giving me congrats, as we are talking my score goes DOWN 2 points showing him with the win. I start scrambling trying to figure out what is going on.... unbeknownst to me, my K (Vanderjadt) had a FG blocked in the noon game (-2 points for missed FG) and it took until Sunday night for the points to be reflected. If I had simply lost the game it would have been one thing, but to have won it and then have it taken away was brutal. And I still have to hear about it from the bro-in-law. :shrug:

Not quite along the same lines as the OP. But one year, both of my backup QB's went down with injuries after the trade deadline. All I had was McNabb for the SB. Eagles had their playoff spot locked up. Week 16, McNabb plays a single series against the Rams. Drives them down for a TD. I get 60 yards and a TD out of him. I lost the SB 94-92. He plays just one more drive and I win the SB. Or if either of my other QB's had played, I would've won...

I think it was 2 years ago when Brian Westbrook layed down on the 1 yd line to run the clock instead of scoring! Cost me the game.
I beat someone who had me for sure in the playoffs until Westbrook downed that at the one. The guy was absolutely LIVID... he's not all that smart so he couldn't wrap his head around the fact that it was the correct football move.... but still 99/100 players would just put that in the end zone and 95% of the time scoring that TD would still get the Eagles the win there.I had another team lose a playoff game on Monday night... Baltimore vs. Pats.. I think 2007.. Baltimore kicked a field goal, I had their kicker... then a penalty caused them to take points OFF the board and subsequently turn the ball over... Pretty sure I lost by 2.Saw another team in '08 have a HUGE lead going into a Monday night game in the championship.... only player he faced was DeAngelo Williams... who proceeded to get 4 TD's in the first half and a crapload of yards.Lost the game by 2 points.. unreal beat.

Last week:

Team A - 102.98

Team B - 102.84

Team B was up comfortably until Foster comes off the bench and promptly racks up 33.7 points in one half of football.

This one is easy for me - was down something like 22 or 23 pts going into a Monday night game in the 98 or 99 season - Cowboys vs. Falcons. I had Emmitt, opponent had Dallas K (Richie Cunningham I think.) Anyway, Emmitt has a huge game and we are tied with the game essentially over (I owned the tiebreaker.) Falcons have the ball with under a minute left, Danny Kanell throws an interception around the Dallas 10 to Greg Ellis. Greg FN Ellis!! And the Falcons are so disinterested in tackling him, they allow him to house it, Cunningham kicks the extra point, I was beat. I didnt sleep that night.

Easy. Best fantasy team I ever had. #1 seed, dominated the league all season. First round of playoffs, my team posted a score that was the highest score in the league for the entire season... and lost. My opponent had Joe Horn, and that was the day of his 4 TD cellphone in the goalpost pad game... he scored 37 points on the Sunday night game that week to give my opponent a 2 point win.

My brother lost to me in the Fantasy Bowl by 1 point. He got a -2 from Brian Griese. He could have played Johnny Unitas and he would have won.

Many, many years ago...

Playing in a Champ game...

Other owner e-mails me Monday morning to congrat. Says he needs like 9 sacks, 3 picks and 2 td's from his Indy D to beat me.

Indy D that year ranked third to last coming into that week. They got it all that night adn beat me.

---------------------

Before that, I had a meaningless Punt return in final minute of a blowout Monday night game beat me by two points in a Champ game.

----------------------

Last week, the McCoy lateral won me a game by 0.2 points

Don't remember the year, but playing in the championship game, and have it all but locked up. I literally had the phone in my hand to call my buddy who had the trophy to tell him I was ready for it. Miami was playing Buffalo, game out of reach, and, I think, Buffalo through a 100 yard pick 6 at end of game to kill me. I've won many leagues, but this one is with my oldest friends, and is now in it's 22nd year, and I still have yet to hold the trophy! Uughhh

My league has a "head coach" position, with scoring for categories like challenges won, victories, timeouts, and practice squad moves.

The extra timeout that ESPN asked Jack Del Rio to take in MNF ended up losing me my game by .10 points.

:boxing:

Users who are viewing this thread