What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of WINE did you drink last night? (1 Viewer)

we had our Holiday Party last night at the winery. boss opened:

2009 Hermitage Blanc, Tardieu-Laurent - interesting wine. loads of minerality and stone fruit, along with clove and licorice, but a creamy finish that came off almost sweet. not sure of the exact grapes in this one, probably Marssane, Roussanne, and Viognier in some combination.

1989 Lynch Bages Pauillac - took a while for this to open up and show its stuff. with more exposure to air it showed ample plum, raisin, and hoisin sauce. tannins were very fine, while the body showed good structure. my first time tasting this wine of this caliber....impressive.

1989 Mouton Rothschild Pauillac - i think everyone at the table was most excited for this wine, and of course it was corked. bummer.

1991 Carment Cabernet Franc, Sonoma Valley (Moon Mtn. Vineyard) - this was the WOTN by a large margin. that's impressive considering what it was up against. the typical herbaceous tone from Cab Franc had dissipated considerably, and transformed into a cherry/berry flavor profile with a firm mouth-feel. this wine just got better and better as the night went on. i was excited to see a Sonoma Valley wine show so well with 22 years on it.

not sure if/when i'll be able to taste wines like these again. i consider myself pretty lucky to work for someone so generous.

had a lovely 03 kistler pinot. love a little age on a wine.
yeah, Kistler makes some great juice. was the '03 a vineyard designate or appellation blend?
I believe it was the bodega headlands really nice wine. And that's a pretty serious line up. I've had some really good CA cab francs. I barrel tasted one from ehlers estate in 07, so it would have been an 05 I believe. Outstanding wine.

2009 Hermitage Blanc, Tardieu-Laurent - interesting wine. loads of minerality and stone fruit, along with clove and licorice, but a creamy finish that came off almost sweet. not sure of the exact grapes in this one, probably Marssane, Roussanne, and Viognier in some combination.
80/20 Marsanne/Rousanne

80/20 Marsanne/Rousanne
excellent. thanks!

05 Tantara Pinot noir. Grays vineyard

08 isosceles reserve

01 la jota cab

Tantara was bright and lively. Isosceles was still tight IMHO, too much of a fruit bomb for me. La jota was showing it's age nicely, balanced perfect time to drink it.

80/20 Marsanne/Rousanne
excellent. thanks!
i am a fiend for white rhone blends

DA RAIDERS said:
08 isosceles reserve

Isosceles was still tight IMHO, too much of a fruit bomb for me.
Is my memory correct that Justin doesn't use the press fraction in any of their wines?

This past week, I ran through barrel samples from my winery's first vintage - 3 clones of pinot noir (Pommard, 777, 115) and syrah. Secondary ferment isn't done yet (it's been pretty cold) but you can get a good sense of how things are going. Colors are light in the pinot but flavors are coming along nicely. Syrah is going to be really elegant - will have to watch how long it stays in that new oak. Anyway, so far so good.

some day i know jules is going to send me a treat..... ;)

did you try either of those pinots yet GB?
Oh yeah. I drank 'em.

I do have some treats I have to send out.

Been drinking a lot of Grower's Champagne lately. You like bubbles?

Just grabbed three bottles of 1968 Kopke Port . You like Port?
yes and yes. did you like the pinot?
Oh yeah, I enjoyed them. Shoot me a private and I will ship you some goodies
:pickle:
I am shipping two bottles to you the 27th of December

08 isosceles reserve

Is my memory correct that Justin doesn't use the press fraction in any of their wines?

This past week, I ran through barrel samples from my winery's first vintage - 3 clones of pinot noir (Pommard, 777, 115) and syrah. Secondary ferment isn't done yet (it's been pretty cold) but you can get a good sense of how things are going. Colors are light in the pinot but flavors are coming along nicely. Syrah is going to be really elegant - will have to watch how long it stays in that new oak. Anyway, so far so good.
Be sure to let us know when it's available. I, for one, would be happy to buy some.

I wanted to try Saxum so badly when we were in Paso. From everything I could find, there's no way to taste if you're non-trade and not on their list. And the markup if you're not buying it directly from them seems to be ungodly. 100% the few places (wine shop. not restaurant) I saw that even had any.
I have been on the Saxum waitlist for years waiting for the opportunity to buy from them

:sadbanana:
We were on Saxum waitlist for five years before we got our allocation

Last edited by a moderator:
08 isosceles reserve

Be sure to let us know when it's available. I, for one, would be happy to buy some.
:thumbup:

Much obliged! Everything made this year will be bottled in mid-2015. A lot of folks around here will turn around a pinot in 1 year, and some years that works but usually it's too early IMO. This will be our opening salvo in the market and I really want to make sure it's ready to go. My tasting confirmed that this pinot will need more time (the syrah might be ready sooner). In addition, we're renovating the barn on our property into the tasting room and that's scheduled to happen late next year/early 2015 if we can drudge up the cash.

Oh yeah. I drank 'em.I do have some treats I have to send out.

Woot woot. What a fantastic Xmas present!

Tradition for the wife and I is to crack open a magnum on Christmas day. This year it will be a 2008 Roar Pinot Noir Rosella's Vineyard

Promessa Negroamaro from Puglia, it was the last of my bottles from Italy. I am sad to be out of all my Italian wines now. Anyone have any recommendations on other Negroamaros?

15 pounds of lasagna was washed down here with a case of Gabbiano Chianti 2007. A nice pairing and as it goes a very decent Chianti.

I'm sipping a 2005 Cakebread Chard at the moment (overrated), but the reason I thought of this thread is my incredible sister got me a case of Grand Cru Chablis, 12 different producers, all 2011s. I'll lay them down for several years, but what a nice stash.

Tradition for the wife and I is to crack open a magnum on Christmas day. This year it will be a 2008 Roar Pinot Noir Rosella's Vineyard
FWIW, i had my hands on that wine.

2008 was my internship with August West, and winemaker Ed Kurtzman. He was the winemaker for ROAR: i processed, pressed, punched down, and barreled those grapes. i love Rosella's: i have one bottle left from that vintage and am holding it for a special occasion.

i hope it was great! cheers!!

I am thinking a 2007 Selbach-Oster Riesling Spatlese and a 2008 Vacheron Sancerre Rouge

FWIW, i had my hands on that wine.

2008 was my internship with August West, and winemaker Ed Kurtzman. He was the winemaker for ROAR: i processed, pressed, punched down, and barreled those grapes. i love Rosella's: i have one bottle left from that vintage and am holding it for a special occasion.

i hope it was great! cheers!!
:hifive:

It was great. I got turned on to Roar at World of Pinot Noir a couple years ago and won this wine at the auction. Speaking of which, anybody going to WOPN this year? Its being held in Santa Barbara opposed to Shell Beach for the first time.

http://www.worldofpinotnoir.com/

Going to wait a couple hours but since this is mom's last New Year's, breaking out my best. She wants to get a little high on something other than morphine. Why not.

2002 Taittinger's Brut Blanc de Blanc Comtes

1996 Henriot Cuvee Des Enchanteleurs Brut

1990 Krug Brut

1990 Moet and Chandon Cuvee Dom Perignon

1989 Louis Roederer Cristal Brut Millesime

5 of us drinking here. Six flutes per bottle. That's ten for me.

3 of these have been stored by me since 07. The Dom and Krug were just purchased by someone wanting to contribute.

Happy New Year.

Going to wait a couple hours but since this is mom's last New Year's, breaking out my best. She wants to get a little high on something other than morphine. Why not.

1990 Krug Brut

3 of these have been stored by me since 07. The Dom and Krug were just purchased by someone wanting to contribute.

Happy New Year.
:(

Sorry to hear that. I hope the bubbly is good. I have a Dom a couple years younger than the 1990 so I'll be interested on how its doing.

Nothing but White and Grower's Chmapagne tonight

2010 Barraud Pouilly Fuisse Les Crays

2007 Fevre Chablis Bougros Cote Bouguerots

Marc Hebrart Cuvee de Reserve Brut and Rosé

2005 Pierre Gimonnet Special Club

1999 Gaston Chiquet Brut Special Club

I am thinking a 2007 Selbach-Oster Riesling Spatlese and a 2008 Vacheron Sancerre Rouge
i have a 2003 bernkastler doctor tba that we might have to cornhole for..it was calling my name tonight.

1990 Krug Brut

Happy New Year.
cheers to mom!!!!!!!

i have a 2003 bernkastler doctor tba that we might have to cornhole for..it was calling my name tonight.
Heck no. Hold that TBA

Tomorrow you should receive your package

15 pounds of lasagna was washed down here with a case of Gabbiano Chianti 2007. A nice pairing and as it goes a very decent Chianti.

I'm sipping a 2005 Cakebread Chard at the moment (overrated), but the reason I thought of this thread is my incredible sister got me a case of Grand Cru Chablis, 12 different producers, all 2011s. I'll lay them down for several years, but what a nice stash.
i will cook if invited to try these.....

Tonight -making three course - ahi appetizers, swordfish second course then aged ny strip with apple wood Brussels sprouts. While not a well thought out tasting menu (i went a bit crazy at the butcher) the wine will be. I am going to pair the ahi with a point conception pinot gris. Skin was left on during press making this look and taste more like a rose. Second course, sword fish - paired with a sanford fleur du domaine ( 56 viognier 44 roussanne). This is the only bottle i am not sure about. I might replace with a chard last second. Third course, ny strip, paired with a 1999 reserve barberana rioja. Will report back later.

2007 Foxen Sanford & Benedict Pinot Noir. Really pleased to see that it hasn't fallen off yet...my notes said to drink it by 2014.

Hi Raiders. I will get another package sent to you asap. Can't believe the package was damaged.

Tonight I am going to a Sherry tasting. Any other Sherry fans?

I drink wine 3 or 4 nights a week, usually a bottle and a half per night. Does that sound like a lot?

Also I drink late at night, and usually fall asleep on the couch. A question I've had about drinking - did I black out, pass out, or just fall asleep?? I don't know the difference between these three.

Placed my first order with lastbottlewines.com. Anyone else use the site? I had a different one ready to go but it sold out just as I placed my order. I could have gotten the last bottle $25 credit. Still, picking up 6 bottles of Sportoletti Assisi Rosso 2008 for $10 each with free shipping seems like a deal. We're looking into getting a high quantity wine rack to start a bigger collection.

I drink wine 3 or 4 nights a week, usually a bottle and a half per night. Does that sound like a lot?

Also I drink late at night, and usually fall asleep on the couch. A question I've had about drinking - did I black out, pass out, or just fall asleep?? I don't know the difference between these three.
A blackout isn't the same as the other two. It happens when you drink so much you lose some of your memory.

Wine cellar (room) broke ground today. Removed the walls to do wiring, new insalation and vapor guarding. This process should take about a week. Then the stone face of the walls is installed while the wine racks themselves are created. Then the glass walls are installed. All in, the process should take just a bit under 3 months. 1000 bottle storage, very excited!

Users who are viewing this thread