What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of WINE did you drink last night? (1 Viewer)

I just started drinking wine in the last 6 months, as we went to Italy in October. Got hooked on Chianti, also like Sangiovese and Malbec ok. Any recommendations for any good brands or anything? 
$10-15 Red

Saladini Pilastri is one of my favorite bottles I've ever drank in this price range. Montepulciano/Sangiovese blend. I saw it at Total wine for $10.99 and it way over delivers at that price

Fattoria La Valentina is all Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and really goes well with pasta, pizza, burgers, brats, and mushroom risotto

Masciarelli Montepulciano d'Abruzzo- I have seen this for less than $10 at Total Wine which would make it an absolute steal but a great patio pounder or simple pasta, steaks, or pizza

Vinicola del Sannio Barbera - This is  is one of my favorite food pairing grapes because as a late ripening grape, it carries bright acidity, mild tannins, and a wonderful fruity fragrance. Tomato sauce on pasta, pizza with meat or spice, BBQ chicken, burgers, brats...

Scaia - Corvina is the grape and is a floral and fruit filled nose and dark fruit in the taste that enjoys all varieties of food. Risotto, red meats, sausage, aged cheese

Garofoli Rosso Piceno Farnio is Montepucliano and Sangiovese and such an easy drinking red

Masseria Li Veli Primonero is Negroamaro grape and some Primitivo to soften the Negroamaro roughness and is fruit and flowers in the nose and dark fruit on the palate and is at home with some simple pasta and pizza but really enjoys a nice salami antipasto, lamb, or grilled tuna steak

Olianas Cannonau di Sardegna is a Sardinian wine from Cannonau and a touch of Allicante Bouschet (trivia time...what is unique about Allicante Bouschet?) This is a wine for the table and not the cellar. Fresh and lively, by itself, with simple apps, or a simple dinner. I have seen it around $14.99 but it might be slightly higher than $15 but it's from Sardinia so try it out

Chianti Wines for you:

Antico Colle Chianti is perfect for this price range. Sangiovese is your main grape of Chianti and these wines can be great values and are perfect partners to anything tomato. Pizza, pasta, and gazpacho. Delicious with some grilled chicken in a Caprese style (this wine and a Chicken Caprese sandwich is yummy) or sausage and peppers

San Michele e Tori Chianti Colli Fiorentini - Sangiovese with traditional Tuscan Canaiolo, on again/off again Tuscan Colorino, and then some Merlot. By itself or with some pate, crostini, and meat sauces

Badia A Coltibuono Chianti Centamura - Sometimes you can find this for less than $10 but this is a perfect everyday wine on the patio, cheese tray, meat tray, meat in sauce dishes

Dievole Le Due Arbie Chianti Superiore - I've seen it for $14-15 dollars so grab one if you see it 

$10-15 White

Vinicola del Sannio Falanghina - You should enjoy this with some Shrimp Scampi and thank me later because with this wine, you want to pair it with some Italian kissed seafood

Saladini Pilastri Pecorino - Can be had under $10 at Total Wine, this is Chardonnay notes of baked apple and lemon with bright acidity and Marche minerality. This wine is so very easy to pound on a summer day while sitting and lounging but it can accompany cheese, fish, calamari, bean dishes, scampi, or chicken with lemon

Last edited by a moderator:
$10-15 Red

Saladini Pilastri is one of my favorite bottles I've ever drank in this price range. Montepulciano/Sangiovese blend. I saw it at Total wine for $10.99 and it way over delivers at that price

Fattoria La Valentina is all Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and really goes well with pasta, pizza, burgers, brats, and mushroom risotto

Masciarelli Montepulciano d'Abruzzo- I have seen this for less than $10 at Total Wine which would make it an absolute steal but a great patio pounder or simple pasta, steaks, or pizza

Vinicola del Sannio Barbera - This is  is one of my favorite food pairing grapes because as a late ripening grape, it carries bright acidity, mild tannins, and a wonderful fruity fragrance. Tomato sauce on pasta, pizza with meat or spice, BBQ chicken, burgers,brats...

Scaia - Corvina is the grape is a floral and fruit filled nose that enjoys all varieties of food. Risotto, red meats, sausage, aged cheese

Garofoli Rosso Piceno Farnio is Montepucliano and Sangiovese and such an easy drinking red

Masseria Li Veli Primonero is Negroamaro grape and is fruit and flowers in the nose and at home with some simple pasta and pizza but really enjoys a nice salami antipasto, lamb, or grilled tuna steak

Olianas Cannonau di Sardegna is a Sardinian wine from Cannonau and a touch of Allicante Bouschet (trivia time...what is unique about Allicante Bouschet?) This is a wine for the table and not the cellar. Fresh and lively, by itself, with simple apps, or a simple dinner. I have seen it around $14.99 but it might be slightly higher than $15 but it's from Sardinia so try it out

Chianti Wines for you:

Antico Colle Chianti is perfect for this price range. Sangiovese is your main grape of Chianti and these wines can be great values and are perfect partners to anything tomato. Pizza, pasta, and gazpacho. Delicious with some grilled chicken in a Caprese style this wine and a Chicken Caprese sandwich is yummy) or sausage and peppers

San Michele e Tori Chianti Colli Fiorentini - Sangiovese with traditional Tuscan Canaiolo, on again/off again Tuscan Colorino, and then some Merlot. By itself or with some pate, crostini, and meat sauces

Badia A Coltibuono Chianti Centamura - Sometimes you can find this for less than $10 but this is a perfect everyday wine on the patio, cheese tray, meat tray, meat in sauce dishes

Dievole Le Due Arbie Chianti Superiore - I've seen it for $14-15 dollars so grab one if you see it 

$10-15 White

Vinicola del Sannio Falanghina - You should enjoy this with some Shrimp Scampi and thank me later because with this wine, you want to pair it with some Italian kissed seafood

Saladini Pilastri Pecorino - Can be had under $10 at Total Wine, this is Chardonnay notes of baked apple and lemon with bright acidity and Marche minerality. This wine is so very easy to pound on a summer day while sitting and lounging but it can accompany cheese, fish, calamari, bean dishes, scampi, or chicken with lemon
Cool thanks. Guess I better start a list 🤓

Staying local

2015 Guardian - Felony - Cab Sav - Not my favorite but was fine. This place is great though. Cool winemakers. Have a lot of their stuff.

2015 DeLille - Four Flags - Cab Sav - Really good. Just dropped our membership from this place but this one was super good.

right now: 2013 A. Rafanelli Zinfandel (Dry Creek Valley)

popped and poured about 90 minutes ago and now just starting to wake up. decidedly fruit-driven with loads of crushed raspberry, cherry, and hints of dark cherry in the background. at seven years old i think i may have waited a bit too long on this as the tannins are non-existent and the acid is mild at best. color hasn't started to go brick/rust yet. hopefully this will get better in the next couple of hours ('cause that's how long it's gonna take go finish this bottle). 
Yep. Need to do some inventory management

not really.  it was a little flat.  most of the fruit had fallen out of it, but very little age characteristics had developed.  there was nearly zero finish.  unremarkable across the board.  
Wasn't doubting that it was past prime, guess was just surprised you randomly busted out a 2K retail bottle tonight.  Any special occasion? 

I just started drinking wine in the last 6 months, as we went to Italy in October. Got hooked on Chianti, also like Sangiovese and Malbec ok. Any recommendations for any good brands or anything? 
My favorite Chianti for value is the Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva.   Felsina also makes a Berardenga Rancia that is even better but its a bit pricier.  Fontodi also makes a fine Chianti.

If you like sangiovese you should also consider picking up some good brunellos.  The better affordable ones that I like are Casanova di Neri (normal white label, Tenuta Nuova is great but not worth the extra $$ imo), Fuligni, Poggio Antico (normal, Altero also not worth the extra tariff),  Lisini, Ciacci Piccolomini D'argona, Il Poggione, and Argiano.

Also, while my experience in sangiovese is far from comprehensive , my favorite in the region (and by far the label I own the most of) is Fontodi's  Flaccianello.

My favorite Chianti for value is the Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva.   Felsina also makes a Berardenga Rancia that is even better but its a bit pricier.  Fontodi also makes a fine Chianti.

If you like sangiovese you should also consider picking up some good brunellos.  The better affordable ones that I like are Casanova di Neri (normal white label, Tenuta Nuova is great but not worth the extra $$ imo), Fuligni, Poggio Antico (normal, Altero also not worth the extra tariff),  Lisini, Ciacci Piccolomini D'argona, Il Poggione, and Argiano.

Also, while my experience in sangiovese is far from comprehensive , my favorite in the region (and by far the label I own the most of) is Fontodi's  Flaccianello.
Haven’t tried brunello, will give it a shot! Just bought 10 bottles of Chianti/Sangiovese and total wine last weekend! 

I've never had one either.   I've always thought of Pinot as a cooler climate grape so I'm surprised to see it planted in Portugal
Yep for sure. There's a couple cooler areas of Portugal that could potentially grow it but I've never heard of any produced there. Feel like on from 69 would be toast before the 80s and am super curious about the one he says he had. 

Portugal has been known for staying native for its grape growing

In recent years they have planted Cab Sauv, Chardonnay, Merlot, Syrah, Pinot Noir and the Duoro, Lisboa, and Bairrada regions would be where you might find Pinot Noir today

Pinot Noir from '69? I'm in the dark

if anyone is interested, Antonio Galloni from Vinous is hosting a Legends Master Class Virtual Tasting tomorrow, June 4, featuring Moon Mountain District (a sub-AVA of Sonoma Valley).

owners & winemakers from six different properties will be on with Antonio, as well as viticulturist Phil Coturri, tasting various wines from their respective brands. starts at 5:00 pm (pst). registration required, but no cost to attend.

More Event Info & Registration Link

the conversation will likely drift into the "wine geek" realm at times, and Antonio is pretty good at presenting those concepts so anyone with an interest in wine can easily follow along. 

I know there’s a couple of industry guys in here @Quint and others question for you.

When do they pick the grapes and does that effect if you are visiting wineries. Specifically looking at the Walla Walla area for an anniversary trip. We can pick any time in late Sept / Oct.

I thought I remember places saying going there when they are picking the grapes isn’t great because the places are all super busy with that part of the business.

Does this even matter?

Each vintner is looking for certain levels of Ripeness=acidity, sugar, tannins for different varietals. Temperature, exposure to sun/shade, humidity, and watering patterns are going impact the levels so they will pick at different times.  

If you are targeting specific wineries, call them to see when they might be picking.
Thanks. I will try calling the couple that I know we will hit. 

Surprisingly little info on the interwebs about this. Is that not the best time to go? I can’t remember where I picked that info up but it stuck in my mind. 

I know there’s a couple of industry guys in here @Quint and others question for you.

When do they pick the grapes and does that effect if you are visiting wineries. Specifically looking at the Walla Walla area for an anniversary trip. We can pick any time in late Sept / Oct.

I thought I remember places saying going there when they are picking the grapes isn’t great because the places are all super busy with that part of the business.

Does this even matter?
A few thoughts (applying what happens in NorCal wine country to WA):

- Harvest, i.e. late August to Halloween, is the best time to be in wine country. There's a palpable energy in the air and people are fired up in anticipation of grapes coming into the winery. 

- Unless you're trying to plan visit with a winemaker or principal, it shouldn't affect your experience with regard to tasting at various wineries. If a place normally offers a tour of the property or production area as part of the experience, that may be paused for harvest or limited in what you're able to do. Again, if you want to do a flight of wines, buy a glass, or share a bottle and relax you should be fine. Also, not every winery/tasting room has property from which they get grapes, so that shouldn't make a difference for those spots. 

Advice: 

- book early if possible, for both lodging and winery reservations. in CA right now there is no "walk up" tasting option; everything has to be by appointment and we're already getting reservation requests for the Fall. Sonoma County opened AirB&B and VRBO beginning tomorrow, so you're options in WA might not be limited to hotels and resorts. be sure to look at this option. 

- plan on wearing a mask. everywhere. to ensure the health and safety of our guests, team, and community, we are requiring everyone who visits our property to wear a mask through the experience until seated for the final portion of the tasting. same for our sister-label on the Sonoma Square. 98% of people get it and have zero issues....the 2% though, oooof. 

- wineries (and by extension breweries and distilleries) are trying to hit a moving target with regard to new guidelines changing almost every week. when you make your reservations now for Sept/Oct, be aware that what they're telling you now about the experience could change significantly by the time you visit. 

- touching on that last point: everyone is going through big shifts in how they run their operations now vs 5 months ago, so your patience is most welcome and appreciated. if you have the means or are so inclined, gratuities are also appreciated especially by front-line staff who may have been furloughed or unemployed for the last three months or so. 

hope you have a great anniversary trip! 

- Harvest, i.e. late August to Halloween, is the best time to be in wine country. There's a palpable energy in the air and people are fired up in anticipation of grapes coming into the winery. 

- Unless you're trying to plan visit with a winemaker or principal, it shouldn't affect your experience with regard to tasting at various wineries. If a place normally offers a tour of the property or production area as part of the experience, that may be paused for harvest or limited in what you're able to do. Again, if you want to do a flight of wines, buy a glass, or share a bottle and relax you should be fine. Also, not every winery/tasting room has property from which they get grapes, so that shouldn't make a difference for those spots. 

Advice: 

- book early if possible, for both lodging and winery reservations. in CA right now there is no "walk up" tasting option; everything has to be by appointment and we're already getting reservation requests for the Fall. Sonoma County opened AirB&B and VRBO beginning tomorrow, so you're options in WA might not be limited to hotels and resorts. be sure to look at this option. 

- plan on wearing a mask. everywhere. to ensure the health and safety of our guests, team, and community, we are requiring everyone who visits our property to wear a mask through the experience until seated for the final portion of the tasting. same for our sister-label on the Sonoma Square. 98% of people get it and have zero issues....the 2% though, oooof. 

- wineries (and by extension breweries and distilleries) are trying to hit a moving target with regard to new guidelines changing almost every week. when you make your reservations now for Sept/Oct, be aware that what they're telling you now about the experience could change significantly by the time you visit. 

- touching on that last point: everyone is going through big shifts in how they run their operations now vs 5 months ago, so your patience is most welcome and appreciated. if you have the means or are so inclined, gratuities are also appreciated especially by front-line staff who may have been furloughed or unemployed for the last three months or so. 

Awesome. Thanks for this info. Sounds like I was misremembering the fall isn’t a good time to visit info.

Hope your biz wasn’t too impacted and that things open up smoothly for you.

thanks. 

we've been open for 7 days, and still working out the bugs. it's all good though....we'll get through it. 
Nice. The Seattle area tasting rooms for the Walla Walla producers just opened up over here with many of the restrictions you mentioned. They are pouring glasses as opposed to multiple tastings, you make reservations to limit people, hour limit in a place, etc. 

We are swinging by a couple places on Saturday and I’m going to make sure we have some cash. Wouldn’t have thought to tip but will be some good karma.

Nice. The Seattle area tasting rooms for the Walla Walla producers just opened up over here with many of the restrictions you mentioned. They are pouring glasses as opposed to multiple tastings, you make reservations to limit people, hour limit in a place, etc. 

We are swinging by a couple places on Saturday and I’m going to make sure we have some cash. Wouldn’t have thought to tip but will be some good karma.
exactly. a number of spots have had to alter their old systems and adopt new ones to meet the guidelines. limiting capacity, BTG programs, hard deadlines for reservation starts/stops, it's all in play. 

around here, some of the tasting rooms are going "cashless" and adding gratuity lines on invoices where they hadn't previously. personally, i'd be fine with cash but might have to run it through the washing machine before going into the wallet. 

thanks. 

we've been open for 7 days, and still working out the bugs. it's all good though....we'll get through it. 
Amazing drive today through Bennett valley, Glen Ellen, and kenwood with top down.  Makes me want to go tasting on Sunday.  How crazy do you think it will be?

Amazing drive today through Bennett valley, Glen Ellen, and kenwood with top down.  Makes me want to go tasting on Sunday.  How crazy do you think it will be?
Father's Day is typically lighter than a "normal" Sunday. but we're no longer anywhere near "normal" so i think there will be some crowds. we haven't booked up yet, but it's filling gradually. 

Not just palpable energy. At times you can literally smell the fruit/ juice. It's awesome. It's a double - edged sword, though, imo. Places can be so busy you lose the personalized attention you might get other times of the year*. It's still fantastic, though. Great to compare different times to visit imo and the varying experiences. 

*Loxton hooked us when we pulled into the parking lot during crush and Chris Loxton jumped down off the machinery during what was a crazy time for them, grabbed a cluster of grapes, handed them to us, and then walked inside and talked to us for an hour while pouring. Just exceptional. Literally. Don't expect that. We've been loyal customers since, though. 

Advice: 

Been meaning to get to this.  I echo everything @Quint says here but want to add my first hand Walla Walla fall experiences (albeit in normal times).  I get my syrah grapes from over the border in Milton-Freewater.  Since it's an overnight trip anyway I try to get to the vineyard to drop off my transport bins in the early afternoon and then do some "competitor analysis" for the rest of the day.  I head back to the Willamette Valley the next morning after they pick my block.

I don't think you'll have too many problems with lodging availability unless you're looking at a specific B&B or the Marcus Whitman, but it surely can't hurt to make reservations early if possible.  My experience is also that the tasting rooms aren't ridiculously crowded during non-COVID falls and I doubt they will be this year either.  Unlike CA, OR does allow walk-ins providing distance requirements are met (I do not know about WA).  However, many places are making appointments mandatory so if you have specific spots in mind, call ahead and find out their protocol.  Also, we've seen some places reluctant to reopen to visitors at all - some because they have trouble accommodating the distance requirements and some because the owners may be high risk themselves.  One of our favorite places to refer people hasn't reopened because the owners are in their late 70s with underlying health conditions, so just keep that in mind.

Tangental issue is restaurants.  The Portland area restaurant scene is getting decimated and many higher end places have simply folded.  It hasn't been quite as bad out my way but again, if you have spots in mind, make reservations early because at best, seating capacity will be limited in the nicer places.

I see that Yakima is a hot spot right now - pure speculation on my part but we've seen hot spots here among agricultural worker communities not because of the inherent nature of the work but because they live in very close communities.  It wouldn't surprise me if that was happening there.  I really hope they get a handle on it soon.

Anyway, you should be able to have a great trip with some advance planning, flexibility, and good humor.  And if you have specific questions you can always PM me.  Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread