What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Manual Labor/Trade Job Would You Enjoy? (1 Viewer)

Archaeologist
I work with archaeologists, and it's not as cool as it sounds. Driving hours to remote locations to dig shovel test holes is the majority of what they do. If it's a Phase 2 or 3 there is cooler stuff involved. They also have to write reports that take longer than the field visit.

US sucks for archaeologists anyways. Latin America & the other hemisphere is where it's at.
I think he means archaeologists that find cool stuff like dinosaur bones and lost empires

Architect or marine biologist. Fallback would be something in sports, like a commentator or MLB general manager, but I hear those jobs are tough to get.
Well, they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know, in broadcasting.

Architect or marine biologist. Fallback would be something in sports, like a commentator or MLB general manager, but I hear those jobs are tough to get.
Well, they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know, in broadcasting.
That's not really fair.
Neither is listing four careers that fall completely outside the realm of what we're talking about here. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not really fair.
I know. Well, OK... What else do you like?
Something in movies-- non-union, please. Talk show host would be good. But I think I may have to settle for being a latex salesman... just waiting on that call.

Another poster mentionged farming. I grew up on a dairy farm. Farming is out. Planting fields is ok but that gets boring after days and days on a tractor. Dealing with cattle is awful.

This thread is quite appropriate though. My friend and I have a small construction business. We started off a few years ago doing small projects like tile and crown molding for friends. We both spent time doing construction in college but have had desk jobs for many years. I travel some for my job which adds some excitement but it is still the same job just in a different office/state. Our small work for friends has turned into a business finishing basements and remodeling kitchens as well as constructing paver patios. We entered a wealthy part of town a year or so ago and have as much work lined up as we want. Word of mouth is better than any ad.

My partner and I often discuss how much more rewarding the construction work is compared to our day jobs. That is sad considering it took college and years of hard work to get the day jobs that we have.

I would like to finish basements as my manual job. The patio work is really physically demanding and getting worse as I get older. Kitchen remodeling always stesses out homeowners. Tough to take away someones kitchen for a few days.

Basement finishing is most rewarding because it normally involves taking an ugly, unfinished big area or tearing down someones crummy work and making it a beautiful living space with cool features such as a kitchen, home theater room, a bar, a gym, a fireplace area with stone walls, etc. My favorite part of finishing basements is actually the rough work of framing the walls and hanging drywall. Doing the trim work and putting down tile is ok but nothing beats those first few days of getting the walls up.

I worked on a golf greens crew for summers in high school. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Mowing and landscaping combined with simple plumbing (sprinkler systems), spraying for weeds, even occasional use of front loaders and other large equipment (refilling sand traps or dirt work).

Oh and free golf.

I still miss that job.

I worked on a golf greens crew for summers in high school. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Mowing and landscaping combined with simple plumbing (sprinkler systems), spraying for weeds, even occasional use of front loaders and other large equipment (refilling sand traps or dirt work).

Oh and free golf.

I still miss that job.
That sounds awesome...unless you live in a hot-as-balls part of the country like I do.

I'd love to be a motorcycle mechanic. Just spend every day working on machines and making then run correctly.

Maybe I'm a bit crazy, but I always thought being a meat butcher would be kind of cool
Not crazy, it takes quite a bit of skill to be a good butcher. And I can definitely see the satisfaction you'd get from providing a customer with the perfect cut of meat for their needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to be a motorcycle mechanic. Just spend every day working on machines and making then run correctly.
Depending on where you live, that could be a seasonal job. I work with a woman whose husband has this job and it's pretty much a 6-9 month a year job.

I could see landscaping. Not the hauling rocks/dirt kind, but mowing/wacking/trimming/mulching/pruning.

Get your steps in, stay in shape, listen to music.

Much rather do what I do now though. Lot easier work. Thanks college.

Users who are viewing this thread