What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Movies have you walked out of? (1 Viewer)

Blue Beetle. Thor, Love and Blunder. Both were IMAX.
I think I'm done with the superhero stuff. Except Deadpool.

Blue Beetle. Thor, Love and Blunder. Both were IMAX.
I think I'm done with the superhero stuff. Except Deadpool.
We couldn't even watch Blue Beetle for free on the TV. All we learned is that families in Miami are irritating jackwagons. And that the writers sucked. We stopped after about 30 minutes.

I didn't like Gladiator either. :shrug:
Really?

I don't claim it to be some cinematic masterpiece but it's got a great villain (I thought Phoenix knocked the "super creepy and drunk on power Roman emperor character" out of the park), some fun fight scenes including a pretty epic opening scene, and a badass protagonist. Plus Oliver Reed is basically tanked yet still cool in every scene. Throw in a near Liam Neeson level threat ("... and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next") and what's not to like?

Threads like these make it more obvious I watch a ton of movies, and have gotten through a lot of bad ones. Gladiator? Rushmore? Barbie? Gravity? Maybe not my thing as well, but they are at least OK movies by damn good directors.

It just doesn't compute to me people can't get through those knowing the absolute crap I've gotten through. Again, I watch too many and I get that part.

Threads like these make it more obvious I watch a ton of movies, and have gotten through a lot of bad ones. Gladiator? Rushmore? Barbie? Gravity? Maybe not my thing as well, but they are at least OK movies by damn good directors.

It just doesn't compute to me people can't get through those knowing the absolute crap I've gotten through. Again, I watch too many and I get that part.
Right, and I also don't know what these people were expecting going into these movies. As I mentioned earlier, using myself as an example, I don't actually go to many movies* so when I do go I have a pretty good idea of what the movie is about and what to expect, etc. Those mentioned here like Gladiator, Barbie, and Gravity seem like movies where they are/were exactly (and we let them off the hook!) what one should have expected going in. So, I'm with you in not understanding why some would walk out of these.

*I watch plenty of movies at home on streaming services so it's definitely a relatively common occurrence to bail on a movie on a streaming service but that's not how I interpret this thread and I think turning off a movie from a streaming service is way different than choosing to go see movie in a theater then walking out of it before it ends.

Wasn't at the theatre, but me and the wife stopped watching The Revenant at about the half-way mark. It was just so dull. I ended up slogging it out a couple days later, but it wasn't really worth it. Maybe our expectations were too high. This movie is in a class of its own when it comes to re-watchability. And not on the good side.

I didn't walk out but man was it uncomfortable watching Poor Things with my 19 year old. Really good movie but sooo many let's say adult scenes over and over and over. Should have done a little research first. Not a prude but also not a fan experiencing with your kid.

I didn't like Gladiator either. :shrug:
Really?

I don't claim it to be some cinematic masterpiece but it's got a great villain (I thought Phoenix knocked the "super creepy and drunk on power Roman emperor character" out of the park), some fun fight scenes including a pretty epic opening scene, and a badass protagonist. Plus Oliver Reed is basically tanked yet still cool in every scene. Throw in a near Liam Neeson level threat ("... and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next") and what's not to like?

I just didn't like it. I thought it was over-hyped, over-rated and got tired of suspending my disbelief. Braveheart >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gladiator.

Right, and I also don't know what these people were expecting going into these movies. As I mentioned earlier, using myself as an example, I don't actually go to many movies* so when I do go I have a pretty good idea of what the movie is about and what to expect, etc. Those mentioned here like Gladiator, Barbie, and Gravity seem like movies where they are/were exactly (and we let them off the hook!) what one should have expected going in. So, I'm with you in not understanding why some would walk out of these.

*I watch plenty of movies at home on streaming services so it's definitely a relatively common occurrence to bail on a movie on a streaming service but that's not how I interpret this thread and I think turning off a movie from a streaming service is way different than choosing to go see movie in a theater then walking out of it before it ends.

I had a pretty good idea of what Gladiator was about. DIdn't expect the nauseating shaky-cam. Or the lame writing. Or the crappy cinematography. I really didn't expect Crowe to be such a bad actor.

Gravity was just bad and ludicrous. The only thing that made it watchable was the live commentary. (See above.)

Loved Barbie.

Gladiator was kind of terrible, IMO. I would not and did not walk out on it. That takes something extra special.

The only movie I ever paid to see and walked out on was back when I was really conservative and went to see Fahrenheit 9/11. I'd had about enough of Moore and his "storytelling" half of the way through it. I never thought the scene where George W. Bush finds out we'd been terrorized while reading children's books to children was an indictment of him, but a lot of people saw it that way. I took it as a human being processing some awful news that would change the world forever. I don't agree with a lot of the policies now, but I still feel that way about that moment. That must have been a doozy.

But that's an honest response on my end and I'm not looking to start anything political. It's the only movie I ever walked out on in the theater. Because if you know me, you know I love my movie butter popcorn and can sit through about anything if my stomach is okay and you give me a Coke to go with it.

Yum!

How's that for a transition from the political to the apolitical, huh? Who can't agree with movie popcorn?

I didn't walk out but man was it uncomfortable watching Poor Things with my 19 year old. Really good movie but sooo many let's say adult scenes over and over and over. Should have done a little research first. Not a prude but also not a fan experiencing with your kid.

Ok.. I just mentioned this is in the movie thread. We took our 12yo daughter to it. 😂 Neither of us had any idea what it was about, thought it would be fine. Fortunately she fell asleep part way through... Before they got to Paris fortunately. But yeah... Research.

The wife and I started watching gravity a couple nights ago, made it about 40 minutes in and then shut it off.
Mr R went all MST3K on it. The entertainment value went WAY up.

I saw this in the theater. Best use of 3d I think I've seen... It was really cool. But can't imagine not seeing it in 3d, would be pretty stupid movie. I mean, it already was stupid in 3d, but the 3d was cool at least.

lol.....had a similar experience over the Xmas break. 21 year old son and his boyfriend asked me watch the movie "Saltburn" with them. That, uh.....that was a new experience for me. :oldunsure:

lol.....had a similar experience over the Xmas break. 21 year old son and his boyfriend asked me watch the movie "Saltburn" with them. That, uh.....that was a new experience for me. :oldunsure:
Haven't seen that one yet. Really nothing more uncomfortable than watching sex on the screen with your parents or kids. 🫠

The Godfather. As soon as Brando started talking I realized he had cotton in his mouth. Ridiculous and unwatchable.

Also, Schindler's List. I refuse to watch movies in black and white. Shoot the lock off the wallet and film in color already, amiright?
Add me to the list of posters who are deeply offended at this post, which you surely intended to be read unironically.
My major problem here is that as soon as I heard Brando talking, I tapped out. Heinous movie.

The book was way better.
The worst!
And don't get me started on that Pacino guy.
In all seriousness, I have never seen Pacino do better than he did in GF I and II, and it's not close. And I've seen him do far, far worse.

The Godfather. As soon as Brando started talking I realized he had cotton in his mouth. Ridiculous and unwatchable.

Also, Schindler's List. I refuse to watch movies in black and white. Shoot the lock off the wallet and film in color already, amiright?
Add me to the list of posters who are deeply offended at this post, which you surely intended to be read unironically.
My major problem here is that as soon as I heard Brando talking, I tapped out. Heinous movie.

The book was way better.
The worst!
In all seriousness, I have never seen Pacino do better than he did in GF I and II, and it's not close. And I've seen him do far, far worse.
Hoowah! are you talking about?

Best movie ever made.
Sad but true story: I sat my 20 y.o. son down to watch the Godfather with me. He didn't like it, it was too slow moving for him.

Thanks a lot, Apple, social media, internet, and Obama. :thumbdown:
I literally just watched The Godfather again yesterday, for approximately the millionth time. Every time, I marvel at the fact that the wedding scene eats up the first 26 minutes of run-time, and it's 100% character development and world building. The ensuing sequence with Waltz and the horse head is also just an illustration of who the characters are what kind of world they inhabit, with little connection to the main plot of the film. Each of those sequences feels like they fly by in like 45 seconds because there's so much going on, but a lot of it stuff that a person might not pick up on the first time they see the movie. I could watch that wedding scene all by itself and enjoy it on its own terms, based solely on my knowledge of what happens next over the rest of the film.

It feels like every good movie made before 1980 is like this. They're slow, they let the story breathe a little as it develops, and they expect the viewer to pay attention instead of relying on exposition.
Agreed. And you know what came in 1981? MTV. Attention spans never recovered.
No way this was MTV's fault. In fact, I was 10 in 1981 (actually, 9, for most of it). MAYBE it started a trend of bite-sized entertainment, but the smartphone and social media put the dagger in the heart, and twisted it.

The book was way better.
The worst!
When I was watching GF1 this weekend, it did actually occur to me that Coppola somehow got an incredibly subtle, restrained performance out of an actor who is . . . not exactly known for that type of performance.

Haven't seen that one yet. Really nothing more uncomfortable than watching sex on the screen with your parents or kids. 🫠

Oh......uh......I wouldn't be so sure about that one.

I had a pretty good idea of what Gladiator was about. DIdn't expect the nauseating shaky-cam.
What did you think of the shaky-cam in Saving Private Ryan?
I ask because that bouncing around gave both of us a headache.
Great film otherwise.

did they know or was it just a fun family experience for everyone?

My son for sure knew.....he had seen it. When I told his younger brother I was about to watch it with his brother and his boyfriend, he winced like he'd been shot and said "ohhhhhhh, man.......you sure?"

It's a good movie I suppose. Figure the film nerds in here like @KarmaPolice have it 2 enthusiastic thumbs up, but, wow.....have you seen it?

My son for sure knew.....he had seen it. When I told his younger brother I was about to watch it with his brother and his boyfriend, he winced like he'd been shot and said "ohhhhhhh, man.......you sure?"

It's a good movie I suppose. Figure the film nerds in here like @KarmaPolice have it 2 enthusiastic thumbs up, but, wow.....have you seen it?
no, sir.

It's a good movie I suppose.

We iWalked out of it. Barely made it half way, i would not use 'good' in describing it lol

no, sir.
My Link

We iWalked out of it. Barely made it half way, i would not use 'good' in describing it lol

It's great film making. The acting was superb.

But boundaries have been stretched. This was like "Dilverance" levels of stretching.

It's great film making. The acting was superb.

But boundaries have been stretched. This was like "Dilverance" levels of stretching.
IMO, it was not. I thought the "you're lucky I'm a vampire" line would have been better in Twilight movie. Literally lold and the writing overall was eh...

Felix was great, most of the setting was nice and I love slow burn films, but man, just couldn't finish it.

The book was way better.
The worst!
Not a Pacino fan, but this is amazing. (I had to judge this scene for the dance category in a TimDraft.) The writers for this movie really did themselves proud. It's an entire story within a movie.

I had a pretty good idea of what Gladiator was about. DIdn't expect the nauseating shaky-cam.
What did you think of the shaky-cam in Saving Private Ryan?
I ask because that bouncing around gave both of us a headache.
Great film otherwise.
Haven't seen it. The shaky-cam has pretty much been a barrier for me.

i told one of my walkin buddies that my lady and i had watched that movie and that it was really strange but held your intrest so he and his lady watched it and the next morning he asked me what kind of a sick monster i was so i feel you take that to the bank bromigo

The book was way better.
The worst!
Not a Pacino fan, but this is amazing. (I had to judge this scene for the dance category in a TimDraft.) The writers for this movie really did themselves proud. It's an entire story within a movie.
the ill show you out of order scene from the movie has always been one of my favorites even if it is overacted take that to the bank brohans

i told one of my walkin buddies that my lady and i had watched that movie and that it was really strange but held your intrest so he and his lady watched it and the next morning he asked me what kind of a sick monster i was so i feel you take that to the bank bromigo

:lmao:

Sometimes, I think 'ol SWCer is fine storyteller dabbling in tall tales and schtick, but THIS......yeah, this I believe is 100% true. :lmao:

Sometimes, I think 'ol SWCer is fine storyteller dabbling in tall tales and schtick, but THIS......yeah, this I believe is 100% true. :lmao:
i mean this brohan just about everything i say here is true or strongly like 95 percent based on truth with only names changed to protect the innocent let that sink in for a while take that to the bank

i mean this brohan just about everything i say here is true or strongly like 95 percent based on truth with only names changed to protect the innocent let that sink in for a while take that to the bank
With the exception being anything you say about Minnesota or KG. That **** is obviously false and cannot be reliably taken to any financial institution.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Hudson Hawk
oh man, i love Hudson Hawk. one of my favorite movies.
I was 19.. I don't even remember the movie, just remember thinking it was stupid. But 19 year old me was quite the dumbass. I'll have to give it another shot...
It WAS stupid. But I think that was the point... some good campy performances in there.
George Kaplan : Yes, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Rome. I did my first bare-handed strangulation here. Communist politician.

Hudson Hawk : Why George, you big softie.

George Kaplan : God, I miss Communisim. The Red Threat, people were scared... the agency had some respect, and I got laid every night.
Love Hudson hawk. It’s soooooo bad

Users who are viewing this thread