What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What to look for in matchups? (1 Viewer)

Limp Dogg Bizkits

Footballguy
This isn't a who should I start thread. I am looking for what you look for in a matchup for your players.

In my league we start 2 DL, 2 LB, and 2 DB's.

For LB's do you look for teams that run the ball mostly?

For DB's look for teams that pass a lot? But what about a Safety who tackles a lot? Do you want him against a running team? one that runs a WCO?

What about DL? Teams with weak OL's? How do you really determine that? Do you factor in HFA more for a DL as the crowd noice might help DE get more sacks?

I'm not asking who to start, but talk me through your thinking using my roster, or yours if you would like.

LB Willis: Obvious Stud player who you start despite matchup? Goes against MIN who run ALOT, so he should be a GREAT start. Right?

LB Harris: Has had an amazing run since he became the starter. However, he goes against CLE who passes the ball a lot. So does that mean that maybe his tkl numbers go down but he has chance at bigger plays?

LB Pierce against the eagles. Eagles like to have a more balanced attack. Average start?

DE G. Adams plays at Tex. Below average OL and 2 starters might be out, RB without much speed, backup QB, Do those factor a DE?

DE A. Carter at home against the Bears. Average OL and QB with TO issues.

DE C. Grant at ATL. Bad Falcon team overall. Should be playing from behind so they pass more.

DE M. Williams at home against TB. Tb playing pretty good, average OL and balanced attack.

DB S. Jones at JETS. Jets suck. Balanced attack pretty much.

DB S. Knight at home against Car. He is a tackle machine, so does that mean you want him against a team that runs a lot? Or a team that throws lots of short passes?

DB L. Landry at home against Bears. Rex tends to throw INT's so does that make him a better start?

My lineup is pretty strong, esp for a Dynasty, so who I start isn't the issue as they are usually pretty close to each other. I am looking more for what you look for in deciding who you start.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't a who should I start thread. I am looking for what you look for in a matchup for your players.

In my league we start 2 DL, 2 LB, and 2 DB's.

For LB's do you look for teams that run the ball mostly?

For DB's look for teams that pass a lot? But what about a Safety who tackles a lot? Do you want him against a running team? one that runs a WCO?

What about DL? Teams with weak OL's? How do you really determine that? Do you factor in HFA more for a DL as the crowd noice might help DE get more sacks?

I'm not asking who to start, but talk me through your thinking using my roster, or yours if you would like.

LB Willis: Obvious Stud player who you start despite matchup? Goes against MIN who run ALOT, so he should be a GREAT start. Right?

LB Harris: Has had an amazing run since he became the starter. However, he goes against CLE who passes the ball a lot. So does that mean that maybe his tkl numbers go down but he has chance at bigger plays?

LB Pierce against the eagles. Eagles like to have a more balanced attack. Average start?

DE G. Adams plays at Tex. Below average OL and 2 starters might be out, RB without much speed, backup QB, Do those factor a DE?

DE A. Carter at home against the Bears. Average OL and QB with TO issues.

DE C. Grant at ATL. Bad Falcon team overall. Should be playing from behind so they pass more.

DE M. Williams at home against TB. Tb playing pretty good, average OL and balanced attack.

DB S. Jones at JETS. Jets suck. Balanced attack pretty much.

DB S. Knight at home against Car. He is a tackle machine, so does that mean you want him against a team that runs a lot? Or a team that throws lots of short passes?

DB L. Landry at home against Bears. Rex tends to throw INT's so does that make him a better start?

My lineup is pretty strong, esp for a Dynasty, so who I start isn't the issue as they are usually pretty close to each other. I am looking more for what you look for in deciding who you start.
A good start

Just realized I forgot to get back to this last week.

Thanks, chook, this thread from the FAQ has a great post from biabreakable and some followup discussion that is pretty useful, too. The IDP 101-401 podcast series is probably worth a listen for a newbie who really wants to consider the many layers of IDP strategy.

I read the link to the other thread but it caused me to think of another IDP question. It is playoff time and on offense you are a pretty big underdog. Might it be a good strategy to take some chances on guys that may seem more inconsisitent but have potential for a huge game?

I read the link to the other thread but it caused me to think of another IDP question. It is playoff time and on offense you are a pretty big underdog. Might it be a good strategy to take some chances on guys that may seem more inconsisitent but have potential for a huge game?
:hifive: :goodposting:Playoffs or regular season, this strategy is something many have been pushing in the AC forum and podcasts this year and last. If you need consistent points, it's probably smartest to take the surer play. If an average number of points doesn't make you any more likely to win than a zero will, the correct play is to start the highest upside player at every questionable slot. Hitting one or two and gaining big relative advantage points can push you to an unlikely win.

Users who are viewing this thread