What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would have to happen for Cooper to take Wilhem's spot? (1 Viewer)

BLOX

Footballguy
I was reading over the player profiles and noticed that it said that Wilhem isn't a lock just yet. So, I wondered to myself what would actually have to happen for things to change.

If you guys are right on with your diagnosis, Wilhelm seems to be the most athletic LB behind Merriman and should be a nice surprise this year. I don't know if I can say the same thing about Cooper.

So...will the real IRLB please stand up!

that'll be Anthony WatersCooper and Wilhelm both stink
Waters seems to have the most talent but he is not endearing himself to the coaching staff with his offseason antics. In the long run Waters will probably will be the guy but for this year I like the prospects of Wilhelm. Cooper is rather stiff and robotic. I just don't see football instict there. Wilhelm should hold the spot this year and relent to Waters next.

that'll be Anthony WatersCooper and Wilhelm both stink
Waters seems to have the most talent but he is not endearing himself to the coaching staff with his offseason antics. In the long run Waters will probably will be the guy but for this year I like the prospects of Wilhelm. Cooper is rather stiff and robotic. I just don't see football instict there. Wilhelm should hold the spot this year and relent to Waters next.
My opinion of these 2 is the opposite. Time will tell how it plays out. Wilhelm has the inside track before camp.I think Cooper is a much better athlete and a better talent than Wilhelm. I'm not impressed with Wilhelm. Cooper has better range and just seems like a better fit there because he is more of a playmaker.Waters will have to work his way up, but if he gets back the form he showed before his injury, he is probably better than both of the above. But I don't see him starting this year. Regardless, with these 3 and also Tim Dobbins, who I like a lot, they are pretty deep at ILB. This year, the starters may be ok, but they seem highly unlikely to put up the kind of numbers Donnie Edwards did.

Now I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but it seems to me the jury is still out on Wilhelm. "Cooper has better range", what does that mean ? From the little I have seen of Wilhelm, he looks very good in pass coverage which should translate into a 3 down backer right ?

I don't get all the bashing he takes, before even getting a shot to prove what he can do.

Now I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but it seems to me the jury is still out on Wilhelm. "Cooper has better range", what does that mean ? From the little I have seen of Wilhelm, he looks very good in pass coverage which should translate into a 3 down backer right ? I don't get all the bashing he takes, before even getting a shot to prove what he can do.
The jury is out on both Wilhelm and Cooper, which makes for great debate. We all have differing opinions on them based on their limited playing time. I think Cooper has much better coverage skills and range than Wilhelm does. I just feel Cooper is the better talent of the two. And to be honest, Waters is probably more talented than both.

If the position is suddenly a glaring hole why let Donnie go ?
That's a good point. So far we have just been watching from the sidelines trying to see what their plans are. Since Wilhelm took Donne's spot in mini camps we think he is gets the start. Since they really haven't said anything yet we really don't know what plans they have, but they must have some. Most who can have taken Wilhelm, Cooper and Waters hoping to get the starter.

Cooper and Wilhelm will both be starting at ILB this year so they aren't really in competition with one another.

I think Cooper is the better, more athletic player, but neither are as good as Donnie Edwards was.

Wilhelm may wind up playing in a more favorable fantasy spot, but if Cooper holds down the nickel/dime job that would likely make him more productive.

Cooper and Wilhelm will both be starting at ILB this year so they aren't really in competition with one another.I think Cooper is the better, more athletic player, but neither are as good as Donnie Edwards was.Wilhelm may wind up playing in a more favorable fantasy spot, but if Cooper holds down the nickel/dime job that would likely make him more productive.
"holds down the nickel/dime job", meaning he has the job already ? That has not been my impression so far, but that doesnt mean it isnt so.

Cooper and Wilhelm will both be starting at ILB this year so they aren't really in competition with one another.I think Cooper is the better, more athletic player, but neither are as good as Donnie Edwards was.Wilhelm may wind up playing in a more favorable fantasy spot, but if Cooper holds down the nickel/dime job that would likely make him more productive.
"holds down the nickel/dime job", meaning he has the job already ? That has not been my impression so far, but that doesnt mean it isnt so.
From Chargers.com. Will they take out the signal caller on passing downs?Wilhelm becomes the quarterback of the position. The “Mike” linebacker is responsible for making the defensive calls and getting everyone aligned properly. He’s also in the middle of a defense that filters many plays to his position and requires him to make the tackle.“Being the signal caller and huddle caller and running with the first team gives me some confidence,” Wilhelm said. “The defense is built for my position to succeed, make a lot of plays, interceptions and tackles. I feel like I can step up on that level. I’ve got a huge responsibility.”

I question the coverage ability of Wilhelm, and personally think Cooper is better in that department. Being as neither is proven, I think this will play itself out in camp.

I question the coverage ability of Wilhelm
Again, I'm not saying you're wrong its just that I've been hearing something different. The material on Wilhelm is limited, this clip is from his college days, but he doesnt look like a slouch in coverage to me here.
He has alot of Chargers homers in his corner and that was a little surprising, since the ones I've talked to used to support Edwards with a passion.

Anthony Borbely said:
I question the coverage ability of Wilhelm, and personally think Cooper is better in that department. Being as neither is proven, I think this will play itself out in camp.
I have the same impression. I could certainly be wrong or maybe Wilhelm has gotten better, but I never thought of cover skills and athleticism as his strengths.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any update on this? I thought Waters had a good chance also till his off filed issues i feel he is the better player. Any homers been at camps?

Its not much but I found this small blurp

"There was a pass to the flat where LT was really flying and Wilhelm was right there with him. LT might have picked up 5 but that would have been it. It was real good to see nice speed on Wilhelm like that - That was encouraging."

Users who are viewing this thread