What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (1 Viewer)

Recently finished Epitaph, a fictionalized story of the OK Corral gunfight. Fun read and informative. You don't have to read the author's novel Doc about Holliday to get this one, but I'd recommend it anyway because it's pretty good.

Also just got done with The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy. It's in the apocolyptic/distopian vein and is one of the better I've read. It ends in kind of a weird spot (though the central storyline is resolved) which makes me wonder if a sequel is coming.

Now on to Station Eleven.

Just picked up Doerr's All the Light We Cannot See.
Loved that one, you should enjoy it.
Finished it. Loved it. Such great writing and rich characters. I can see why it won the Pulitzer.
Apparently I'm a Philistine because I thought a more apt title would have been "All the Words I Do Not Want to Read". :yawn:
Different strokes and all that. I slogged through about half of "One Hundred Years of Solitude" before I admitted that even though I could see it was beautifully written, I just wasn't enjoying it. His style just didn't work for me. I bailed on a book that basically earned it's author the 1982 Nobel Prize for Literature.

And I call myself a book nerd. :bag:
Yeah, and I've hated some Pulitzer Prize winners as well (Confederacy of Dunces comes to mind, which may be heretical). I like historical fiction as a genre (and history as well, for those who have seen my posts in the history books/podcasts thread), so I was probably pre-disposed to like "All the Light We Cannot See."
The writing is fantastic and Doerr can certainly paint a picture with words, but it seems like talent wasted on a book like this. After I posted that I continued to read it and am nearly halfway done, not sure I can finish though.

Does he have other books that actually have an interesting plot?

Just read Malice. Saw it at the library, thought I might like it - wow, what a fantastic, compelling narrative. Going to see if they have Valor (second in the series) in tomorrow.

Recently finished Epitaph, a fictionalized story of the OK Corral gunfight. Fun read and informative. You don't have to read the author's novel Doc about Holliday to get this one, but I'd recommend it anyway because it's pretty good.

Also just got done with The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy. It's in the apocolyptic/distopian vein and is one of the better I've read. It ends in kind of a weird spot (though the central storyline is resolved) which makes me wonder if a sequel is coming.

I'm about halfway through and have trouble returning. I didn't dislike it, but it did not compel me. Will probably finish at some point.

One Second After by William R Forstchen. I'm always fascinated by end of the world type stories and this is one of the best I've read. Very hard to read at times, with some really heart breaking moments but also people rising to the occasion, pulling together etc. The most outstanding aspect to me was how realistic it seemed, there wasn't any times where you suspend disbelief and call BS. No really evil "Randall Flag" type supervillain, but certainly plenty of those who take advantage of the breakdown of law and order etc. Highly recommend this one.
I read tons of dystopian, post-apocalyptic fiction. This was one of my favorites, seemed so realistic.
Just bought this and I'm really looking forward to it based on what you guys have said.

I've never been one for the "classics" but I'm really digging The Count of Monte Cristo

I can't believe I've waited this long to read it
I tried this novel a couple of years ago and gave up 1/3 of the way thru. Could not get past the appearance that it was edited by a third grader.
One Second After: The author is not a good writer, but the story is well thought out.
The writing is awful. I don't think I'm going to make it, disappointed I let this thread persuade me without reading little more. Oh well, moving on.
You should finish it. It's a short read and incredibly realistic in what will happen when that happens. I'm also jaded because he lives in my area and the book takes place in Ashville, NC so I have a solid frame of reference for what happens. The author isn't trying to be Mark Twain, he's trying to educate and has said that often. He's testified to Congress on the subject matter in the past.

Agree the writing is sub par but that isn't what i read the book for. Really enjoyed it.
Alright, I'm giving it some time this weekend, but when I read a string of sentences crafted at a 6th grade level, I just naturally move on to something else. Great writing IS what I read books for. I will keep an open mind, give this an honest go believing a good story is in the pages and report back.

I'm about halfway through and have trouble returning. I didn't dislike it, but it did not compel me. Will probably finish at some point.
Which? Station Eleven?

My thoughts 1/3 of the way through:

I THINK it's an allegory, but thank goodness I'm pretty tone-deaf to recognizing them and can just enjoy the ride. Also, the Shakespeare stuff is :whoosh: . I suspect that ties into whatever the possible allegory is she's going for.

All of the damned "second cello" and " sixth triangle" stuff has me confusing many of the secondary characters. I'm sure the author has a reason for doing this - as opposed to, you know, giving them ACTUAL NAMES - but she should have consulted with me before doing so.

She writes really, really well. Both dialogue and characterization (of the named characters - see above for caveat) are vivid and distinctive.

I'm engaged enough to finish. Then, God help me, I'm gonna dive into Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. I haven't done a multi-volume binge-read of fantasy in forever.

Just picked up Doerr's All the Light We Cannot See.
Loved that one, you should enjoy it.
Finished it. Loved it. Such great writing and rich characters. I can see why it won the Pulitzer.
Apparently I'm a Philistine because I thought a more apt title would have been "All the Words I Do Not Want to Read". :yawn:
Different strokes and all that. I slogged through about half of "One Hundred Years of Solitude" before I admitted that even though I could see it was beautifully written, I just wasn't enjoying it. His style just didn't work for me. I bailed on a book that basically earned it's author the 1982 Nobel Prize for Literature.

And I call myself a book nerd. :bag:
Yeah, and I've hated some Pulitzer Prize winners as well (Confederacy of Dunces comes to mind, which may be heretical). I like historical fiction as a genre (and history as well, for those who have seen my posts in the history books/podcasts thread), so I was probably pre-disposed to like "All the Light We Cannot See."
The writing is fantastic and Doerr can certainly paint a picture with words, but it seems like talent wasted on a book like this. After I posted that I continued to read it and am nearly halfway done, not sure I can finish though.

Does he have other books that actually have an interesting plot?
What??? It is such a fantastic book.

Which? Station Eleven?My thoughts 1/3 of the way through:

I THINK it's an allegory, but thank goodness I'm pretty tone-deaf to recognizing them and can just enjoy the ride. Also, the Shakespeare stuff is :whoosh: . I suspect that ties into whatever the possible allegory is she's going for.

All of the damned "second cello" and " sixth triangle" stuff has me confusing many of the secondary characters. I'm sure the author has a reason for doing this - as opposed to, you know, giving them ACTUAL NAMES - but she should have consulted with me before doing so.

She writes really, really well. Both dialogue and characterization (of the named characters - see above for caveat) are vivid and distinctive.

I'm engaged enough to finish. Then, God help me, I'm gonna dive into Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. I haven't done a multi-volume binge-read of fantasy in forever.
No, i meant Epitath. But thanks for spoiling the first third of Station 11.

;)

Every year, the local(Greenville, SC) literacy association has a "Really good, really big, really cheap" book sale. Such a great deal, I had to come in here and brag a little. I already have a few of the titles, but at this price I don't care.

I scored the following list of books for a grand total of $27.00:

Titles

2 Dilbert books

2012 Writers Market

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Anthem

Big Sunday Crossword Omnibus

Big Word search book

Captains Courageous

China Moon(Chinese cookbook)

Confucius - The Analects

Crime and Punishment

D.H. Lawrence The Complete Short Stories

Discourse on Method and Meditations(Descartes)

Escape From Cubicle Nation

Far Side Gallery 4

Freakonomics

Great Expectations

Hard times

Influencer

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Lady Chatterley's Lover

Machiavelli The Discourses

One Writer's Beginnings

Personal Finance Desk Reference

Robinson Crusoe

Simon&Schuster Handbook for Writers

Successful Writing at work

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

The Deerslayer

The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbs

The Intelligent Investor

The Invisible Touch(sales/marketing)

The Market Research Toolbox

The Pocket Aristotle

The Prince and the Pauper

The Prince(Machiavelli)

The Sea Wolf

The Truth About The Irish

[SIZE=11pt]The Writers Toolbox[/SIZE]

How readable is Grapes of Wrath? Feel like I need to read some sort of "classic" American literature.
Not bad but a bit of a chore to get thru. I'll revisit Steinbeck at some point tho.

Need something mindless so next up is Jack Reacher book #17 / A Wanted Man.

Anyone read Fourth of July Creek? I keep putting Bone Clocks' down and picking up other books :(

Started reading this last night and like it so far.

Also want to give Station Eleven a shot, really enjoy dystopian fiction.

My daughter wants to read Serafina and the Black Cloak, anyone read it? Someone told me it was a bit dark, she is 9.

Which? Station Eleven?My thoughts 1/3 of the way through:

first law trilogy is not a major time or effort commitment. and its awesome

Just finished Wayward, #2 in Wayward Pines trilogy. Horror/Sci-fi (kinda). Really really enjoying the series. I've yet to not enjoy a book by Blake Crouch.

Looking for a recommendation for an upcoming getaway. Just finishing up Devil in the White City. That sort of "truth is stranger than fiction" type nonfiction is right up my alley. Anyone got any suggestions for something in a similar vein?

Looking for a recommendation for an upcoming getaway. Just finishing up Devil in the White City. That sort of "truth is stranger than fiction" type nonfiction is right up my alley. Anyone got any suggestions for something in a similar vein?
I think that's Larsen's best book by a good bit, but I also enjoyed his Thunderstruck and In The Garden Of Beasts.

Have you read Laura Hildebrand's Unbroken? It's really, really good. I haven't seen Jolie's film version, but most of what I've read said she missed the boat in the adaptation.

Hampton Sides' In the Kingdom of Ice is something that I enjoyed not too long ago. True story about a polar expedition based on the belief that there was an open sea at the North Pole. (Sides is a great author in general.)

The Lost City of Z is another one that might be up that alley (about an explorer getting lost in the Amazon searching for a lost city of gold).

I'll note though that I absolutely hated "Devil in the White City" because I did not think the author separated fact from speculation enough. I think Larson just came out with something about the Lusitania.

Hampton Sides' In the Kingdom of Ice is something that I enjoyed not too long ago. True story about a polar expedition based on the belief that there was an open sea at the North Pole. (Sides is a great author in general.)

The Lost City of Z is another one that might be up that alley (about an explorer getting lost in the Amazon searching for a lost city of gold).

I'll note though that I absolutely hated "Devil in the White City" because I did not think the author separated fact from speculation enough. I think Larson just came out with something about the Lusitania.
Thanks. The Lost City of Z sounds like something I'd enjoy a lot, I'll check it out.

On the bolded- I'm having that problem too. Lots of impossible detail about things that people supposedly said and did over 100 years ago that would be impossible for the author to know. But the story is so squarely in my wheelhouse that I'm able to forgive it I guess.

Thanks. The Lost City of Z sounds like something I'd enjoy a lot, I'll check it out.

On the bolded- I'm having that problem too. Lots of impossible detail about things that people supposedly said and did over 100 years ago that would be impossible for the author to know. But the story is so squarely in my wheelhouse that I'm able to forgive it I guess.
Yeah, I'm repeating myself a bit because I raised my complaints in this thread previously, but there's a number of places in the footnotes where he explains that he has no information, but he talked with a serial killer experts, and his description of events is merely speculation based on what the experts told him would be typical of serial killers -- although there is no hint of that in the text.

...Not of the type that you mentioned, but Jonah Keri's "Up, Up, and Away" may also interest you, based on your baseball franchise rooting interests. (Although maybe the decline and fall of the Montreal Expos falls into the truth stranger than fiction category).

Yeah, I'm repeating myself a bit because I raised my complaints in this thread previously, but there's a number of places in the footnotes where he explains that he has no information, but he talked with a serial killer experts, and his description of events is merely speculation based on what the experts told him would be typical of serial killers -- although there is no hint of that in the text.

...Not of the type that you mentioned, but Jonah Keri's "Up, Up, and Away" may also interest you, based on your baseball franchise rooting interests. (Although maybe the decline and fall of the Montreal Expos falls into the truth stranger than fiction category).
I am currently reading Up Up and Away in 5-10 minute installments, usually after my morning coffee or a spicy meal or when my kids are being annoying.

Anyway, Lost City of Z sounds perfect. That's next on the list. Thanks :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished The Martian this weekend. Really good stuff. Still in the middle of Hyperion and it is also superb. Good times.

Not very similar to Devil, but one of my favorite "truth is stranger than fiction" concerns the Globe mutiny. "Mutiny on the Globe: The Fatal Voyage of Samuel Comstock." Found this review blurb on goodreads that does it justice. The story itself rises above the often dry and overly detailed writing.

Because the true story of 1824 mutiny aboard the Nantucket whaling ship Globe is a riveting tale – one of those ‘stranger than fiction’ dramas – that blends maritime history, the adventures of Robinson Crusoe, and grisly horrors reminiscent of Edgar Allan Poe into a macabre mix that seems almost impossible to believe.

Just read Malice. Saw it at the library, thought I might like it - wow, what a fantastic, compelling narrative. Going to see if they have Valour (second in the series) in tomorrow.
Just read Valour in The Faithful and The Fallen trilogy. Amazing read - reminds me of the Lord of the Rings (the movies, never read the book) with a Final Fantasy feel. Going to get the last in the series this week.

Just read Malice. Saw it at the library, thought I might like it - wow, what a fantastic, compelling narrative. Going to see if they have Valour (second in the series) in tomorrow.
Just read Valour in The Faithful and The Fallen trilogy. Amazing read - reminds me of the Lord of the Rings (the movies, never read the book) with a Final Fantasy feel. Going to get the last in the series this week.
Just saw that the third book won't be released until October 13. Something to look forward to.

Finished 61 Hours, one of the Reacher books. I think it's the second one I've read. Pretty decent. Action, intrigue. Don't have to think much. Got the feeling I could read all 58 of them in any order an they'd be fine. Like Law and Order, Book Version.

Finished 61 Hours, one of the Reacher books. I think it's the second one I've read. Pretty decent. Action, intrigue. Don't have to think much. Got the feeling I could read all 58 of them in any order an they'd be fine. Like Law and Order, Book Version.
I'm just about done with A Wanted Man, Reacher book #17. I like the series and am almost current as I think book #20 was just released.

I'm just about done with A Wanted Man, Reacher book #17. I like the series and am almost current as I think book #20 was just released.
I've read them all up to this one that just got released. Going to start it in the next couple days. Big fan

I've read them all up to this one that just got released. Going to start it in the next couple days. Big fan
Fits perfectly into the genre of book series I can grab one of at the used book store and know I'm going to enjoy the ride.

Finished The Martian this weekend. Really good stuff. Still in the middle of Hyperion and it is also superb. Good times.
I punched out the Martian over the weekend. Easy read but fun as all get out. I'm very excited to see the movie, unlike when I usually read books. The cast looks perfect.

Also, I loved Hyperion. Takes a bit of more mental focus than the Martian, but well worth the effort.

Done with Reacher book #17.

Now on to Child of God by Cormac McCarthy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_of_God

You are correct that you don't really have to read the Reacher books in order, but I suggest you do so. It is pretty cool to learn new stuff about him in each book. Also some family history that will be referenced in later books that might leave you a bit dumbfounded if you haven't read up on the prior plot points.

I recently finished Station Eleven and loved it.

I went with Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell next. It's been on my wishlist forever. I'm just starting it, so not much opinion yet. Seems like there will be a decent amount of humor, which is fine as long as it doesn't get too twee.

Now on to Child of God by Cormac McCarthy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_of_God
McCarthy is so dark and a bit sick; but I love his novels.

Last night I started The Sympathizer, a Vietnam era novel, which has received positive reviews and is the debut of the author Viet Thanh Nguyen.

It is April 1975, and Saigon is in chaos. At his villa, a general of the South Vietnamese army is drinking whiskey and, with the help of his trusted captain, drawing up a list of those who will be given passage aboard the last flights out of the country. The general and his compatriots start a new life in Los Angeles, unaware that one among their number, the captain, is secretly observing and reporting on the group to a higher-up in the Viet Cong. The Sympathizer is the story of this captain: a man brought up by an absent French father and a poor Vietnamese mother, a man who went to university in America, but returned to Vietnam to fight for the Communist cause. A gripping spy novel, an astute exploration of extreme politics, and a moving love story, The Sympathizer explores a life between two worlds and examines the legacy of the Vietnam War in literature, film, and the wars we fight today.

Just finished God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens, It was an abridged audio book that I thought was excellent. Not sure how much I missed by listening to an abridged version, but what remained was one of the best books I've read/listened to in a long time.

Recently finished Faded Coat of Blue, Civil War mystery. I enjoyed it and plan to read the sequels.

Now reading McCammon's The Border. Half way through, and it is so so good. Super sci fi which I'm not usually into but the characters and plot have me completely hooked.

Recently finished Faded Coat of Blue, Civil War mystery. I enjoyed it and plan to read the sequels.

Now reading McCammon's The Border. Half way through, and it is so so good. Super sci fi which I'm not usually into but the characters and plot have me completely hooked.
Faded Coat Of Blue was the whodunnit with the Welsh (or maybe Scottish) Union soldier, right? I think there's a whole series with that character. Fun reads.

Really liked The Border. I'll be interested in your take on how it ends.

Uruk-Hai said:
facook said:

Faded Coat Of Blue was the whodunnit with the Welsh (or maybe Scottish) Union soldier, right? I think there's a whole series with that character. Fun reads.

Really liked The Border. I'll be interested in your take on how it ends.
Yep Welsh. Dragged a little early for me, but I started digging it 1/3 of the way thru and flew through it from there. I'm excited to continue the series.

Border is so interesting to me personally. Usually the super over-the-top alienish (not a spoiler - that is in the summary) stuff would turn me off. But I think the fact that it's tied to "normal" humans is what hooked me. That and figuring out what happened to Ethan.

I've read the first three of the so called Abel Jones series (Faded Coat of Blue) and really like them. A couple of other fans on this board too.

I was hoping somebody could recommend my next book. I'm embarrassed to say that my ADD prevented me from reading too many books but audiobooks have been a godsend to me. I just devoured them now.

I tend to like biographies an American history. I just finished the Wright brothers in about three days, it was fantastic.

I did not like the game of thrones series/fire and ice, World war Z, the Martian (way too technical and boring), and I don't understand the love for Ready Player One (just because you mention every popular item that was produced in the 1980s doesn't mean it makes a good story. Sure it brings back the nostalgia of the era but I just never got where the story was going and lost interest about halfway through)

Thanks so much in advance guys.

I was hoping somebody could recommend my next book. I'm embarrassed to say that my ADD prevented me from reading too many books but audiobooks have been a godsend to me. I just devoured them now.

I tend to like biographies an American history. I just finished the Wright brothers in about three days, it was fantastic.

I did not like the game of thrones series/fire and ice, World war Z, the Martian (way too technical and boring), and I don't understand the love for Ready Player One (just because you mention every popular item that was produced in the 1980s doesn't mean it makes a good story. Sure it brings back the nostalgia of the era but I just never got where the story was going and lost interest about halfway through)

Thanks so much in advance guys.
McCullough's ouvre has a lot of other stuff like The Wright Brothers. I'm not sure how much of him you have read. The Path Between the Seas about the building of the Panama Canal might be my favorite by him. But you can't go wrong with most his books. Same goes for Doris Kearns Goodwin.

As far as biographies in general.... Robert Caro's volumes on LBJ, and Edmund Morris's volumes on TR come to mind. Chernow has some good one-volume bios on Hamilton and Washington as well.

I read a lot of history and biographies. I can try to help if you have any targeted interest area about persons/eras.

Users who are viewing this thread