What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's a new commish to do? (1 Viewer)

LionsFan78

Footballguy
Just got voted in to commish our league next year. One of the largest gripes last year from everybody was the the old commish (who's left the league) didn't give a #### about the league and didn't do anything to "make it fun". Me personally, I think the game is fun as is, but I'll be doing a few things to step it up a bit. Such as...

- Renting a banquet room in local wing pub for live draft :goodposting:

- Weekly side game w/ payouts (predicting W-L record for actual NFL games that week)

- Customized league trophy

- "Pro Bowl" Week 17. Entry fee, winner take all. Form your own roster from the complete player pool.

- "Hometown Hero" Contest: $5 entry at start of season. Submit 1 QB, RB, WR and K from your hometown team, including team points-scored tiebreaker. Winner at end of season receives free home-team jersey of choice.

- Possibly a playoff contest as well, we'll see.

Anything else you guys do in yours? Looking for some cool things that some of you all do, as I'm sure many of you have much more experience than me. Just looking to keep all our members together and have a great time, and at the same time keep the $$$ flowin! Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
the old commish (who's left the league) didn't give a #### about the league and didn't do anything to "make it fun". Me personally, I think the game is fun as is,
Me too, and I'd never be in a league with people who need extra little gimmicks or the commish to hold their hands to have fun w/it. PS what did THEY do to "make it fun" -? A league being fun is equally the responsibility of all owners. Frankly I have to wonder if these are the kind of people who go to a party and just stand around saying nothing, then complain that the party is boring :wall: Not sure what's meant by the "the commish didn't give a..." part - if he made sure everything ran smoothly, he did his job. Having said that, we have a week 17 game where the entire roster starts and high score wins part of the pot, and also do the weekly pick game winners thing on MFL. Also I do a short little sort of "column" each week with a (very) brief recap of each game, how the playoffs are shaping up etc - also includes a "Game of the week." A few don't pay much attention to it, but the majority have said they like it and it helps make the season fun, FWIW.I've been in boring leagues before where people just submit the lineups, never talk it up, just generally have this "whatever" attitude - hope you have better luck

Here are some thoughts from my 12-team redraft league:

#1 - take every opportunity to drink together:

Preseason meeting at the bar in May or June

Draft day at the bar

Tequila party at my house one week

Trophy presentation at the bar two weeks after the reg. season ends

#2 - custom trophy. Winner picks it up at the post-season party and proudly displays it at the following year's draft.

#3 - Playoffs for top four teams week 15 and 16. Nice highest point bonus for all other teams those weeks. Week 17 all teams compete for highest point bonus.

#4 - keep track of records and prominently display them on the site (lowest point total in a week, highest point total in a week, worst losing streak, best winning streak etc...)

#5 - non-stop trashtalking on our league message board.

-at random change team names to something that makes you laugh

-dont tollerate any back talk either, well planned timeouts to the unruly owners sends a strong message to the others that any disrespect will not be tollerated

-add someone to your league that continually makes horrible trades, this keeps the drama up

-at random change team names to something that makes you laugh-dont tollerate any back talk either, dont be afraid to give timeouts to individuals that dont respect your authority-add someone to your league that continually makes horrible trades, this keeps the drama up
#### you

We do a weekly article (usually thur or fri) predicting the matchups of our league, and then recap the predictions at the beginning of the week.

Some owners will also write articles, a couple have been creative... we of course trash talk on the message boards...

I've been "interviewing" the owners, started last year, and posted the interview on the site also...

We have a Loser Bowl, so the teams that don't make the playoffs, play each other for draft order... winner of the loser bowl gets 1st pick... and so on...

-at random change team names to something that makes you laugh-dont tollerate any back talk either, dont be afraid to give timeouts to individuals that dont respect your authority-add someone to your league that continually makes horrible trades, this keeps the drama up
#### you
:rolleyes:have a nice week, guy -h
You have no jurisdiction here!Who can I send my appeal to?
your momhahahaha, still funny!!!!

#### you
:bag:have a nice week, guy -h
You have no jurisdiction here!Who can I send my appeal to?
your momhahahaha, still funny!!!!
you trying to get kicked off

poll your leaguemates to see what fun things they had in mind.
Yeah, pretty much did that already, that's where the week by week side game came from. A different league I've played in has the 'Pro Bowl' week 17, and I introduced the idea and everybody is extemely excited about it. It's a big money league, so I think the main thing is making sure everybody has a good experience with it. Thanks for all the advice, some good ideas here. :shock:

What are you charging for transactions? Ours allow for a lot of food and drink at seasons end and a little more for pizza at the next draft.

Are you awarding cash for total points and head to head/super bowl and weekly winners

Also create a historical archieve containing everything about your league. Drafts, Results, Historical Financials etc

Just stay on top of things. Rules, payments, dates. Nothing worse then having to remind the commish he should probably let people know the draft is in a week.

Also run the site on MFL.

this sounds like its a local league, but i find that the more owners that use instant messenger the better

for our local we had a pink football jersey made with rhinestone numbers and lace striping that the last place team has to wear at the draft

dirtyhalos said:
this sounds like its a local league, but i find that the more owners that use instant messenger the betterfor our local we had a pink football jersey made with rhinestone numbers and lace striping that the last place team has to wear at the draft
Yeah it's local. A bunch of us guys stationed here in Virginia, so I'm sure eventually we'll be all over the map. For IM, are you talking purely for draft purposes, or do you mean more throughout the season, closing trade deals and keeping contact w/ everybody? That's what I'm assuming you mean, nevertheless good advice, tks.Love the pink jerseys man :eek:

dirtyhalos said:
this sounds like its a local league, but i find that the more owners that use instant messenger the betterfor our local we had a pink football jersey made with rhinestone numbers and lace striping that the last place team has to wear at the draft
Yeah it's local. A bunch of us guys stationed here in Virginia, so I'm sure eventually we'll be all over the map. For IM, are you talking purely for draft purposes, or do you mean more throughout the season, closing trade deals and keeping contact w/ everybody? That's what I'm assuming you mean, nevertheless good advice, tks.Love the pink jerseys man :shrug:
well the best leagues are very active, so when lots of members are available on instant messenger for quick trading/trashtalking/coordinating things the easier it is to keep the group as a whole buzzing with league activity

Yeah, pretty much did that already, that's where the week by week side game came from. A different league I've played in has the 'Pro Bowl' week 17, and I introduced the idea and everybody is extemely excited about it. It's a big money league, so I think the main thing is making sure everybody has a good experience with it. Thanks for all the advice, some good ideas here. :cry:
What do you mean by pro bowl?

Yeah, pretty much did that already, that's where the week by week side game came from. A different league I've played in has the 'Pro Bowl' week 17, and I introduced the idea and everybody is extemely excited about it. It's a big money league, so I think the main thing is making sure everybody has a good experience with it. Thanks for all the advice, some good ideas here. :thumbup:
It might go by different names, not sure. Everybody pays an entry fee, and picks their own roster from the entire player pool for week 17. Could be limit to # of players from each team, or not. Same scoring and rules as regular season, except it's one week after the fantasy super bowl, and winner usually takes all. Just a filler between fantasy SB (ours is week 16) and the NFL playoffs.

We have a designated rookie. Each year you can keep a rookie you drafted or pick a new one before the NFL Draft. The draft order is reverse of finish, first pick goes to points winner of non-playoff teams during playoffs.

Draft opens with last place singing 12 lines of a song.

Videotaped to be played at future drafts.

Lots of IDP.

I didn't see it listed and apologize if it's a repeat, but we started a 'Survivor game' in my redraft about 5years ago.

Itwas a separate $10 entry fee, winner take all. Each week, the team with the lowest point total (based on their starting lineup) was booted. Once you are down to one team they win.

Yeah, pretty much did that already, that's where the week by week side game came from. A different league I've played in has the 'Pro Bowl' week 17, and I introduced the idea and everybody is extemely excited about it. It's a big money league, so I think the main thing is making sure everybody has a good experience with it. Thanks for all the advice, some good ideas here. :goodposting:
In our 12 team league we have 3 divisions (4 teams in each division). Everybody in the same division is on a team. You take 2 players from each team in that division. We start 1 qb, 3 rb, 3 wr, and 1 k. So every team has to get their heads together and see which 2 they are going to take from each team to build their pro bowl team. Each division puts up their money and the winning team (division) wins all the money.

Users who are viewing this thread