What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Do you own a firearm? (1 Viewer)

Do you own a firearm that you keep in your home/vehicle?

• Yes

Votes: 84 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 160 65.6%

• Total voters
I have a pellet gun and my dads old old old rifle from the 70s - no ammo - not sure it even fires

I have no objection to owning firearms, and wouldn't mind owning a few. The wife on the other hand... Thus, I own none.
Used to be me... but now Mrs Keerock is on board.
Most of the females I know that were really against guns came around pretty quickly after a trip to the firing range.

Just don't go immediately for the cute little pink one. Little guns might be great to carry, but they aren't a whole lot of fun to shoot.

I grew up in Wyoming/Montana and grew up hunting. I have a decent collection of shotguns and long rifles along with a few handguns.

Although, now I live in Houston and the last time I went hunting was 10 years ago. The hunting in Texas sucks compared to either Wyoming or Montana.

The most interesting of my guns is a handgun my grandmother's uncle used in ww1. He was mustard gassed over there and had no living descendants. Which is how it ended up passed down to me.

Last edited:
Nope, never even shot or held a real gun but used to have a BB gun when I was a kid. I would potentially get one if I lived in a high crime area or if I were a hunter but I don't and I'm not .

Never wanted one - don't care about hunting or shooting and I've been fortunate to never live in an area where I felt one was needed for safety.
Same here. The wife has mentioned getting one before (she's from Louisiana and has an Army dad who hunts regularly) but I've always just pooh-pooh'ed it.

Yeah, but it's the .22 I got when I was like 13 or something. I voted yes, but I don't think that really counts.

.22 is better than no gun at all. It counts. A .22 will stop most folks in their tracks, and a well-placed shot will certainly kill.

I own 5 handguns and 1 rifle. I like to shoot at the range (which is why i have several). My basic opinion is like it or not, they are out there and others have them, so in that case I want them too. I'm also not super confident in laws or police protection in the event of something really disrupting, like a power grid or internet/banking issue that stetches into days or weeks. Not hard to imagine, right? In my view, it's better to have one and not need it than not have one at all.

Growing up, my dad had many guns. He was a small business owner and concealed carried (illegally) at work. Even set up an indoor range in his business, where my sister and I fired some of his guns, including a Walther PPK-s, the same gun James Bond once used. He also had a Magnum 44, like Dirty Harry. Not sure why his gun collection was movie-inspired.

He bought me a high-end pellet gun when I was like thirteen. Like many kids, I used it to shoot neighborhood stuff, including street lights.

He also insisted my sister conceal carry when she visited NYC in college. A derringer, IIRC. That thing kicked like a MFer.

I don’t know what happened to his guns when he died, but I didn’t take them.

As an adult, I’ve fired a rifle at garbage with my cousin in CO, and did sporting clays on Lanai with my wife. The latter was kinda fun.

But I’ve never had a desire to own a firearm, and everything I’ve read over the years leads me to conclude it’s a bad idea.

From the documentaries I've seen they work pretty good on zombies.
When defending against zombies, it's been my experience that quantity is better than quality. Shotguns, while certainly being able to take care of business during a zombie apocalypse, are limited to 5, maybe 8 rounds typically. Give me an AR or AK with a 30 round mag any day.
Yeah, but it's the .22 I got when I was like 13 or something. I voted yes, but I don't think that really counts.

.22 is better than no gun at all. It counts. A .22 will stop most folks in their tracks, and a well-placed shot will certainly kill.

I own 5 handguns and 1 rifle. I like to shoot at the range (which is why i have several). My basic opinion is like it or not, they are out there and others have them, so in that case I want them too. I'm also not super confident in laws or police protection in the event of something really disrupting, like a power grid or internet/banking issue that stetches into days or weeks. Not hard to imagine, right? In my view, it's better to have one and not need it than not have one at all.
When it comes to .22, see above comment about quantity. Unless you're an excellent shot, chances are the first shot isn't putting down the issue. Then it becomes a matter of quantity on target and with a .22, the more the better.

As for your scenarios, we all have reasons to do the things we do. Nothing wrong with being able to hunker down at home and ride out the storm.

Reactions: jwb
Haven’t felt the need and the wife doesn’t want one in the house. My oldest boys have learned to shoot and I’ll take the youngest ones before too long.

I do have a bow and arrow along with a couple machetes and axes 🤔

Haven’t felt the need and the wife doesn’t want one in the house. My oldest boys have learned to shoot and I’ll take the youngest ones before too long.

We’ve been thinking about getting into bows. Reusable ammo and I can do it in my back yard. Seems like a no brainer.

Never owned one until a few months into the COVID epidemic when things were a little iffy in certain metro areas. Bought a shotgun JIK but haven’t even fired it yet. Bought some dummy shotgun rounds to practice loading and firing but need to get to the range at some point to go through it live.

From the documentaries I've seen they work pretty good on zombies.
When defending against zombies, it's been my experience that quantity is better than quality. Shotguns, while certainly being able to take care of business during a zombie apocalypse, are limited to 5, maybe 8 rounds typically. Give me an AR or AK with a 30 round mag any day.

It depends on whether we're talking about fast zombies or slow zombies here. If slow zombies I'd want a shotgun just to easily clear out and pushback (if you miss the headshot) zombies that get in close. If fast zombies then yes you're going to need to mow down a bunch quickly.

I don't, but I do want one and will be pursuing soon.
This is me too. Will have one for home protection by years end.

Curious how you came to this decision. I’ve thought about it but I’ll be 50 next year and never even remotely needed a gun. Did you have some incidents in your area or possibly move to a place where you need one?
Good question. I think it just boils down to at the end of the day It would rather be something I had and not need then something I need and not have.

I live in a nice upper middle-class community but that doesn’t mean break-ins couldn’t or don’t happen. I also can’t deny that my early childhood probably plays into it. I grew up in a very poor neighborhood. In multiple instances we walked in on people in our home the middle of robbing us. that certainly left an impression.

We’ve been thinking about getting into bows. Reusable ammo and I can do it in my back yard. Seems like a no brainer.
and you get that wool duke boys vibe which the ladies love yeeeee haaaaawwww take that to the bank brohans

Poll results were about what I would expect. No interest personally
Definitely varies culturally and demographically.

Poll results are pretty surprising to me. Of the people I know, I would say it's pretty much the inverse of the results from this poll.
Same here but they are close to the US results. Shotguns: 2 12 ga auto (hunting), 2 12 ga over/unders (clays), 1 20 ga side/side (hunting), 1 20 ga auto (Dad's Beliugm Browning), 1 28 ga o/u (hunting/clays), 1 .410 single shot (Grandpa's), 1 rifle in deer caliber, 2 .22 rifles (PA didn't allow semi's so I had to acquire another). 0 handguns.

I've considered a handgun for conceal and carry when I watch the news, but it's too big of a responsibility. I lose my keys and wallet at least once a week. That tells me I not up to owning a handgun. Also weighed out the stats on the pros/cons and FOR ME there aren't enough pros. My city's violent crime rate is 5/1000 people. Might get one for the range down the road and keep it in a safe, but I don't have time for any more hobbies in the near future.

Of course it counts. That pistol is an extremely lethal weapon and should be treated as such. Treat all guns the same way. You shouldn't handle your .22 any differently than a 44 magnum. I really don't mean to sound preachy, but attitudes like that could potentially increase the likelihood of an accident. "Gun" and "accident" are two words you don't ever want to see together. Be safe my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread