What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Do you regularly get a professional manicure/pedicure? (1 Viewer)

Do you regularly get a professional manicure/pedicure?

• Yes

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 149 93.7%

• Total voters
Had one done once while on a resort vacation with the wife.

Hated every second of the pedicure.

I do pedís a couple times a year. Love it.

I got a manicure for my wedding 28 years ago and my daughters in October. I don’t need that.

Had one once and I liked it enough. I had a "mildly" ingrown toenail and the lady asked if I wanted her to cut it out. Felt so good...

Had one once and I liked it enough. I had a "mildly" ingrown toenail and the lady asked if I wanted her to cut it out. Felt so good...
I've had 3 and it was for the same reason each time. They do pretty much the same work as a podiatrist at a better cost, plus the calf and foot massage at the end.

And no you don't have to get paint :)

Never had either but did ask for a pedicure for Christmas. Arthritis and a recent injury have resulted in me not able to reach my right foot with my hands.

Nope. My ex pressured me to get a pedicure with her one time and I disliked every moment of it. Worse than that- within an hour of leaving the place, I started developing some sort of infection near my ankle. Went to urgent care that night and the doctor said it was most likely from the salon not cleaning their stuff properly. Got prescribed strong antibiotics and it took over 2 weeks to clear the infection. Never again will I get talked into doing a pedicure.

Never even considered it.
I've considered it - then get the willies and threw that in the "ummm, never" pile. Along with massages, which also give me the willies just thinking about it.
I'd kill for a pro massage right now.
Good poll question. I'm in the "oh, hell no" selection.
I like manicures but loathe massages. Fortunately, my wife got me a massage gift certificate for Father’s Day that she is still trying to get me to schedule.

Had a pedicure once at a spa with the wife. The foot rub and soak was nice, but I'll pass on anyone digging at my cuticles. Hard no on the manicure/hands for largely the same reason. I can't stand the feeling of my cuticles being jammed and cut.

Never done a real one, but I did have my sister (at my wife's request) give me a sort of manicure before my wedding since there would be so many photos (particularly zoomed photos of hands/rings). Never felt the need to pay for one, just bathe and keep clipped and what else is there?

Got a pedicure with the ex gf and actually enjoyed. Would get it again. Offered to take my daughter but she says her feet are too ticklish. She does like manicures so maybe she will do that and I will get the pedicure.

Pedicures are awesome. I'm ticklish, though, so my pedicurist & I took some time working through that. Doesn't hurt that she's an attractive lass.

I've considered it - then got the willies and threw that in the "ummm, never" pile. Along with massages, which also give me the willies just thinking about it.
Massages are awesome
Yeah I'm all for a good 90 minute massage. I'm due, actually.

Never done a manicure or pedicure. I would probably go for a pedicure though as I wear sandals about 80% of the time.

My wife and I go in together for pedicures about 4 times a year. She goes more often, but I only join her every few months. I love it. Never had any desire for a manicure though.

When you get old and fat, its pretty hard to scrub the bottom of your feet. I nearly pass out in the shower just scrubbing between my toes in the morning. It's so nice to have a professional doing it for me once in a while.

My sis owned a salon or two from the early 80s to Covid shut down. i've had a handful of mani and pedis over those years. Probably less than 10, and only when I was waiting for my haircut and the mani-pedicurer girl was doing nothing and super hot.

Don't do either.
Pedicures for a guy, I understand. Not for me, but if you want to touch up those janky feet, I get it.

But a manicure? It's hard to see any purpose in that for a dude and/or anyone that doesn't have fancy nails.

Had a pedicure once before a trip to Cancun. Went it with my wife to wait and the place was dead. Lady comes up and says "Come on, you get one too" OK

Have to admit the calf massage felt great.

hard pass. but damn I miss my monthly massage with an awesome Samoan woman.
Nothing sexual at all, but as a wise man once said, she made it hurt so good.

Reactions: Zow
Nope. My ex pressured me to get a pedicure with her one time and I disliked every moment of it. Worse than that- within an hour of leaving the place, I started developing some sort of infection near my ankle. Went to urgent care that night and the doctor said it was most likely from the salon not cleaning their stuff properly. Got prescribed strong antibiotics and it took over 2 weeks to clear the infection. Never again will I get talked into doing a pedicure.
That's far too quick for an infection to develop; you probably had a hypersensitivity (allergic) reaction, like contact dermatitis to something they applied to your skin/nails. Moreover, bacterial skin infections rarely take so long to clear, at least in people with functional immune systems.

As for the poll, I'm a no, and not interested.

My wife and I go in together for pedicures about 4 times a year. She goes more often, but I only join her every few months. I love it. Never had any desire for a manicure though.

This is me - the massage chair and calf and foot massage make the experience worthwhile.

Don’t think I’ve ever had a manicure and wouldn’t get one.

That's far too quick for an infection to develop; you probably had a hypersensitivity (allergic) reaction, like contact dermatitis to something they applied to your skin/nails. Moreover, bacterial skin infections rarely take so long to clear, at least in people with functional immune systems.

They swabbed and took a culture of the area and it came back as bacterial. They ended up giving me a drug called doxycline or something like that for it. My immune system is not great. I have a lower than normal white blood cell count in my blood.

I've considered it - then got the willies and threw that in the "ummm, never" pile. Along with massages, which also give me the willies just thinking about it.
I bet if you got a massage you'd have a whole new perspective on it. They're great for back/muscle pain and, if you get a truly therapeutic one, you'll feel noticeably better for a week or two.

I've always carried my stress in my back and my back, hips, and legs are way too tight because I didn't stretch properly when I used to lift heavy and that issue is compounded by how much time per week I sit at a desk then go out a couple times per week and try to swing like Tiger Woods. So, massages are necessary for me and I treat them more so like going to the doctor or the dentist because they are generally pretty painful and discomforting for me during the session. In other words, what probably gives you the "willies" is the idea that it's a stranger doing something kind of intimate and sexual to you but, at least in my experience at the places on the up and up, it's far from that in reality.

hard pass. but damn I miss my monthly massage with an awesome Samoan woman.
Nothing sexual at all, but as a wise man once said, she made it hurt so good.
I've actually gotten to the point know where I'm willing and have on a few occasions gone to a male masseuse. They're just stronger and can get deeper into the muscle tissue. Also, I've noticed I'm even more comfortable with them because I'm less afraid to grimace or breathe deep or complain or whatever when they're trying to get out a knot or work out a particularly bad idea.

Pedicures are excellent. I mean, it's hard to reach my feet to keep them looking top notch. Plus feet rubs and calf rubs with some scrubby stuff ... and I've got a place where it's $22.

I'd rather pay someone for that than to cut my baldish dome with a #1 buzz cut. That I can do myself.

Manicures ... nah.

They swabbed and took a culture of the area and it came back as bacterial. They ended up giving me a drug called doxycline or something like that for it. My immune system is not great. I have a lower than normal white blood cell count in my blood.
One hour post-pedi is still too fast. Everyone has bacteria living on their skin, so surface swabs are unreliable, and aren’t recommended. The only way to get a valid culture is to unroof a blister and culture the fluid, or clean + debride tissue, and get what amounts to a small biopsy. They can also do rapid molecular screens from wounds, but none of these tests are indicated for routine cellulitis (skin infection).

Bacteria need time to multiply, and even the fastest ones causing skin infection require hours to do so in appreciable numbers. Typically it takes a day or two after an exposure to start developing signs of infection. If your immune system is impaired, this may take even longer, as the interaction between the bacteria and your immune cells causes the redness, pain, and swelling of cellulitis.

I don’t expect you to believe an internet rando who never saw you, but you’ve just described many of the common errors clinicians make when evaluating/treating skin infection. While it‘s possible you had an infection brewing before your pedicure, if your symptoms resulted from it, you almost certainly had a hypersensitivity reaction. This improved with the passage of time, not because of the antibiotics you were prescribed.

Anyway, glad you recovered. I don’t blame you for swearing off future pedicures.

No - have had about 3 mani/pedi's in my life. Always before the start of summer or a summer vacation where I'm going to be in flip flops all the time

Users who are viewing this thread