What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's wrong with my TV? Or is it my DirecTV box? (1 Viewer)

nirad3

Footballguy
Already posted on DirecTV forums, no responses yet.  Figured there are some techie types in here that might have a clue.

I have an older LG tv, connected to the slave unit or Genie or whatever it's called.

I turn the TV on, and it waits a few moments before powering off on its own.  Batteries in remote are fresh.

Resetting the slave unit solved the issue the first couple times this occurred.  Now it is taking multiple resets and/or plugging into different HDMI on the back of the TV.  Also noticed that plugging into HDMI-2 resulted in a "dimmer" screen.

I'm wondering if this is just the TV going out, or if there's an issue with the slave unit. 

HELP!  This is my main TV and without sounding too desperate... I absolutely need it to function.  

Remove the genie from the setup.

Plug in anything else to tv, (dvd, blu ray, roku etc).

If TV shows no problems, it is the genie.  If TV continues to have problems it is the TV or HDMi cable (replace cable to rule this out if you have a spare one around).

If the LG tv is a smart tv, unplug it and give it a full reboot.

Edit: Added info to replace HDMI cable as well when debugging.

Last edited by a moderator:
most of these tvs allow you to do a factory reset... helps when something wonky is going on.

do what was recommended above FIRST... then reset

If TV shows no problems, it is the genie.  If TV continues to have problems it is the TV.

Yeah my plan tonight after work is to unplug the Genie and see if the TV will just power up on its own.  That shoulda been my first call last night but didn't occur to me.

I'd hate to have to buy a new TV but also not looking forward to dealing with DirecTV to get a new Genie either.  :lol:   

If TV shows no problems, it is the genie.  If TV continues to have problems it is the TV.

If this doesn't figure it out.  Try replacing the HDMI cable also

most of these tvs allow you to do a factory reset... helps when something wonky is going on.

do what was recommended above FIRST... then reset
Problem is I have mislocated the remote to the TV.  I am not sure if it's possible using the buttons on the TV itself.  DOH.  

I'd hate to have to buy a new TV but also not looking forward to dealing with DirecTV to get a new Genie either.  :lol:   

I had a genie slave die on me last year.  Took less than 2 minutes on the phone call and they over nighted a new one.

OK so I unplugged the Genie and hit the power button on the TV.  Now it is turning on and off by itself.  It's gotta be the TV's power source going out, yeah?

OK so I unplugged the Genie and hit the power button on the TV.  Now it is turning on and off by itself.  It's gotta be the TV's power source going out, yeah?
You're going to need some ball bearings,  3-1 oil, gauge pads and some Quaker state anti-freeze

some TV's have an auto shut off function built into them.   This could just be a SW glitch or it could be the hw is bad.   You need to give the TV a full reboot and then if that does not fix it, reset the TV back to its manufacturing state.

If neither of those steps work, it is probably time to get a new TV

At least get the joke right......

LOL. I'm not looking up jokes from memory in order to be right or something. That you knew what it was enough. Thanks, though. Now I can get it straight.

1.21 Gigawatts! 

LOL. Doc...

Kids Xbox wasn’t getting a signal yesterday, so after messing with different HDMI ports and cables I finally realized someone had switch the HDMI on the Xbox from Out to In.  

Users who are viewing this thread