What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When do you start drafting your 2nd QB (1 Viewer)

bagger

Footballguy
i typically wait to grab a qb late, and am always fascinated as to when people start drafting backup qbs as i am sometimes surprised how early some people do.

curious at the responses here.

standard scoring and league rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the concensus is if you wait for your first QB until after everyone (or almost everyone) else has grabbed their first QB, you should probably be one of the first to grab your 2nd QB. That being said, a lot probably depends on who you like and what projections you agree with. Waiting at QB allows you to get stacked in other areas which are more important to you.

Also, what do you mean by 'standard scoring'? Some folks consider 6 points per TD for QB standard and others only 4. That and yardage points make a big difference in strategy based on your scoring system.

What a funny coincidence. I came to look up the FBG latest mock posted here in the sharks with laser beem pool because of this very reason. I have Rivers and I am up to pick my 9th player. Do I back him up with Roeth or Griffin(barf)? I need a TE, but at this point there are Tamme, Fleener, Olsen etc... Left. My other choices are Jax WR's or Lance Moore.

Im going Roeth at 9.11 then either Moore or TE at 10.02

The guy after me needs a qb

If Roeth wasnt available, I would wait until round 14? Or not draft a back up at all out of 16 rounds. 1/2/3/1/1 1flex

I'm targeting Vick this year, so probably earlier than most. I like the Cutler / Schaub / Ben group after pick 90 or so, and also would be happy with Carson Palmer a few rounds later.

It depends. I don't typically take a backup when I have Rodgers/Brady/Brees early. I try to take Cutler or Roethlisberger if I take Vick. I try to take Palmer if I get Matt Ryan/Eli Manning.

So about a round before ADP, or if somebody falls far, or when a couple others grab guys in the same tier as the guy I want.

Every draft is different - I'm not usually the first to take a backup, sometimes I don't take one at all...but if I don't have a top guy and someone like Roethlisberger is falling really far, I'll snap him up if I like where my team is at.

Whoever of Cutler, Schaub, Roethlisberger, and RG3 slips to the 9th or preferably 10th. Plan B - Carson, Locker, or Fitz in the 12th or 13th. I wish I had a stronger feel of who the big breakout QB will be this year but I don't. Slightly lean Cutler.

I always assure myself a quality QB2, not just for insurance but for trade purposes too. Sometimes I'll even roster 3. Kurt Warner a few years ago and Stafford last year treated me very well when it came to trading in-season.

i am targeting rg3 at 8.10....not sure if he will be there but i cannot bring myself to overpay at 7.03 for him when i can get garcon there or another quality wr or rb.

Right up until I feel Palmer is about to go. He is my ideal 2nd QB this year. He could easily be a QB1. If I miss him then Fitz will do.

I think it depends on who your starter is.

if you have a guy like Vick or Stafford who have a bit of a history of injury, you want to grab that backup a round or two earlier than you normally would.

If you have a guy who is solid and has no history of injury, you can wait a bit.

genral rules I tend to follow:

If I take my #1 guy late, I tend to take my backup earlier in the hope that you can take the odd matchup game with the backup

If my #1 has history of injury, or tends to run the football a lot (ie vick, McNabb in his prime, and Teebow if he becomes the starter...), I tend to take my backup earlier.

I try not to take a WR from the same team as my starting QB. (one injury can hurt both players production)

good luck man.

So if you grab Cam Newton as your QB1, how long do you wait to draft your QB2? Is anyone out there fearful of the Sophomore Slump?

So if you grab Cam Newton as your QB1, how long do you wait to draft your QB2? Is anyone out there fearful of the Sophomore Slump?
I'm not fearful of a sophomore slump so much as I am that his situation is a little different. I expect less INTs, but also less yards (I don't think CAR wants to throw 40+ time per game) and WAY less rushing TDs (unpredictable, and there has yet to be a QB with 6+ to finish with 6+ again the following season, including Cunningham, Vick, Steve Young, McNabb.....)ETA: And I wouldn't call it a slump because I think he'll actually play better.

Don't see a ton of redraft value in Cam or Stafford, personally. Cam's 2011 rushing TDs are obviously unsustainable, as are Stafford's 2011 passing attempts. Not a fan of either where they're currently going.I'd love to have either guy as my dynasty QB, obviously.

1) I will probably not have Cam on any redraft teams because the price tag is too high for my taste.2) IF i had him (say he slipped to the late third or early fourth round where he holds value to me) I would personally back him up with Cutler or Palmer, possibly Freeman if I was feeling daring and Cutler/Palmer were taken earlier than I expected. Thats probably 11th or 12 round territory in most leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread