What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When to be careful with TV around kids (1 Viewer)

Cliff Clavin

Footballguy
When do you need to start being careful with what you watch on TV around your kids? Shows like The Walking Dead, UFC, GoT, etc.

When do you need to start being careful with what you watch on TV around your kids? Shows like The Walking Dead, UFC, GoT, etc.
I think it really depends on the kid. My daughter is 10 and she watches a lot of stuff with us that is not meant for her. On the other hand, I have a nephew who is 9 and if he was my kid, he wouldn't be allowed to watch half the stuff she does.

I've never let my daughter (now 6) see anything violent/sexual on TV.
One thing I noticed with this is that you really start to see shows differently. Shows that I never thought were that sexual, now seem really sexual.

Was meaning more on the early months/years when they can start recognizing what is going on. My daughter is 8 months now and focusing on the TV quite a bit more when I let her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id say 6am - 8am ;)

Stupid West Coast Cinemax still had Skinamax on at that time and my wife was flipping thru the channels and had to explain to my 5 year old what the two naked people were doing.

Was meaning more on the early months/years when they can start recognizing what is going on. My daughter is 8 months now and focusing on the TV quite a bit more when I let her.
Hard to follow, but the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends ZERO TV for children under 2. We tried to follow this with our kids as much as possible.

Personally, we tried to never let our little ones see the shows we watched. If they saw TV it was a kids show. Otherwise the TV was off.

My wife is a TV nazi for our 8 and 4 year olds. I get a lot of big eyed throat clears even during the commercials of football games. Drives me nuts.

Our kids basically watch Disney channel, Full House re-runs, Netflix kids movies or sports (when I'm watching). Pretty much nothing else outside of that.

Hard to follow, but the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends ZERO TV for children under 2. We tried to follow this with our kids as much as possible.

Personally, we tried to never let our little ones see the shows we watched. If they saw TV it was a kids show. Otherwise the TV was off.
BTW, my older kids are 9 and 7 and we still keep a tight rein on what they watch. My son will watch shows like Mythbusters, but I've yet to see the primetime sitcom or drama that I'd be ok with him watching. TV is garbage.

When my son was around 2 we were watching the Simpsons and he came up and put my hands around his throat so I could choke him like Homer does Bart

I was watching Big Bang Theory the other day, with my 7 year old in the room playing a game on the iPad, thinking it was relatively innocuous and silly, and that the sex jokes would either go over his head, or be lost on him due to the fact that he was playing the iPad.

Leonard reading Wolowitz's invention notebook from when he was single.

Item no. 1- Robot Girlfriend

Item No. 2- Robot Prostitute

7 Year old "Dad, what's a prostitute?"

Ummm....

scary stuff is not good to show them because then you'll have to deal with calming them down at 3 am after they have nightmares. nudity and sex is no problem at all. its a natural part of life and ok for them to see it. in europe they have nudity in their commercials. they know how it should be. not like the archaic puritan values in america where we feel the need to shield our kids from the naked body. its really ridiculous if you think about it.

Great question- I was wondering the exact same thing. I watched Hannibal and re-watched Breaking Bad during late night feedings and early morning wakeups with our youngest last year. I stopped doing it around 11 months and now I try to stick to Simpsons reruns or Sportscenter. Probably an abundance of caution, but better safe than raising a serial killer, I figure.

You also have to admire the FFA's ability to misinterpret questions.

Great question- I was wondering the exact same thing. I watched Hannibal and re-watched Breaking Bad during late night feedings and early morning wakeups with our youngest last year. I stopped doing it around 11 months and now I try to stick to Simpsons reruns or Sportscenter. Probably an abundance of caution, but better safe than raising a serial killer, I figure.

You also have to admire the FFA's ability to misinterpret questions.
Nice use of this outside of Ebola, GB. :thumbup: If this phrase is going to last the test of time, we need to start using it elsewhere.

scary stuff is not good to show them because then you'll have to deal with calming them down at 3 am after they have nightmares. nudity and sex is no problem at all. its a natural part of life and ok for them to see it. in europe they have nudity in their commercials. they know how it should be. not like the archaic puritan values in america where we feel the need to shield our kids from the naked body. its really ridiculous if you think about it.
Nudity I have no problem with (my wife walks around half the time naked anyway) but sex, no.

nudity and scary stuff on tv does not produce serial killers.
So if violence produces serial killers, does nudity produce rapists?
nothing on tv produces those behaviors

Nudity I have no problem with (my wife walks around half the time naked anyway) but sex, no.
Go on...

"Scary stuff" is equally as natural a part of life as nudity.

Since there still aren't any responses to the actual question Cliff asked, I did a little research and found this. Paragraph 2 discusses infants, makes it seem like pretty much anything is fine up to 18 months since they can't really process the content in a meaningful way. I guess if you watched something ultra-violent you might have to be worried about them imitating it as the paper describes, but I would guess there would have to be a lot of violence for it to get to the point that they'd imitate it. In that sense you'd think something like UFC would be worse than anything else since they repeat violent actions over and over.

It says that when they reach toddler age they can start to extract meaning, which jives with my experience. My two year old knows what she's watching and responds when they ask her to do stuff like move her hands in a certain way, while my one year old doesn't respond to the TV except to wiggle around during music or to mimic what his older sister does.

So that's a layperson's take, based on 10 minutes of Google research.

"Scary stuff" is equally as natural a part of life as nudity.
but not like zombies and freddy krueger. also, the reason you dont show them the scary stuff is so that you dont have to wake up at 3 am to calm them down after a nightmare, not because it'll screw them up.

BTW, my older kids are 9 and 7 and we still keep a tight rein on what they watch. My son will watch shows like Mythbusters, but I've yet to see the primetime sitcom or drama that I'd be ok with him watching. TV is garbage.
We don't specifically let her watch TV. But if the wife is nursing on the couch and I'm sitting beside her watching something or if one of us is playing with her and the other is watching etc. she starts glancing at it

We definitely won't watch stuff like that around her when she is a little older but I just didn't know exactly what the starting age of it should be.

I like to make a game of it. Every time one of my kids walks in the room I quickly and clumsily fumble with the remote, turn the TV off, and then pretend to read the newspaper - usually with the paper upside down.

Makes them very curious.

the first time i snuck in a scary movie vhs tape and watched it after my parents went to bed is a great memory of mine. pretty sure it was friday the 13th part 3. i wasnt particularly scared and the nice #### was a bonus.

my parents showed me the exorcist when i was 9 and they had to deal with me not being able to go to bed. that movie freaked me the #### out.

As someone who grew up with HBO before they started showing R rated movies only after 8pm, I'm not really the best person to ask this sort of stuff. My kids have been on the bleeding edge of what's appropriate their whole lives. I'm not trying to raise a bunch of sheltered, shut-ins anyway.

Id say 6am - 8am ;)

Stupid West Coast Cinemax still had Skinamax on at that time and my wife was flipping thru the channels and had to explain to my 5 year old what the two naked people were doing.
So what was her explanation?
She fumbled her way thru some explanation that he was beating her up. I dont even know. Thankfully I was still sleeping lol
why lie? why is it bad to tell your kid how people make babies?

Id say 6am - 8am ;)

She fumbled her way thru some explanation that he was beating her up. I dont even know. Thankfully I was still sleeping lol
That would also be lying, because I'm fairly certain that the people on Skinemax aren't making babies.

Id say 6am - 8am ;)

A 5 year old is not going to grasp the concept of sex so why bother explaining it. Its the same reason we tell little children someone is "sleeping" when they die. Their brains can't comprehend it. I will explain the birds and the bees to him at a more appropriate age. It has nothing to do with being bad.

Id say 6am - 8am ;)

A 5 year old is not going to grasp the concept of sex so why bother explaining it. Its the same reason we tell little children someone is "sleeping" when they die. Their brains can't comprehend it. I will explain the birds and the bees to him at a more appropriate age. It has nothing to do with being bad.
I think its worse to scramble and come up with an explanation that the man is beating up the woman. all you have to say is that they're making babies or something. no need to sit down and explain the whole thing in detail. better than putting the thought in his mind that its normal for a man to beat up a woman.

Since there still aren't any responses to the actual question Cliff asked, I did a little research and found this. Paragraph 2 discusses infants, makes it seem like pretty much anything is fine up to 18 months since they can't really process the content in a meaningful way. I guess if you watched something ultra-violent you might have to be worried about them imitating it as the paper describes, but I would guess there would have to be a lot of violence for it to get to the point that they'd imitate it. In that sense you'd think something like UFC would be worse than anything else since they repeat violent actions over and over.

It says that when they reach toddler age they can start to extract meaning, which jives with my experience. My two year old knows what she's watching and responds when they ask her to do stuff like move her hands in a certain way, while my one year old doesn't respond to the TV except to wiggle around during music or to mimic what his older sister does.

nice link ########.

I think its worse to scramble and come up with an explanation that the man is beating up the woman. all you have to say is that they're making babies or something. no need to sit down and explain the whole thing in detail. better than putting the thought in his mind that its normal for a man to beat up a woman.
What ever happened to good old fashioned wrestling?

Id say 6am - 8am ;)

How has this worked for you with your kids. Any follow up questions?

Id say 6am - 8am ;)

this is the same guy with the foot fetish. I think ill pass on his sex ed advice

Id say 6am - 8am ;)

i just think it's better to be honest about what they were actually doing rather than put into the kid's mind that the guy is beating up the woman. Both will probably have follow up questions. I dont know why there's such a taboo about sex here. Go to europe and they'll be telling the kid straight up what was happening on the TV. i was raised by europeans who immigrated here. i know this.

Id say 6am - 8am ;)

this is the same guy with the foot fetish. I think ill pass on his sex ed advice
Hey now.He like feet you like ###.

I'm not judging

nice link ########.
Thanks!

Here's what I was trying to link

Id say 6am - 8am ;)

i just think it's better to be honest about what they were actually doing rather than put into the kid's mind that the guy is beating up the woman. Both will probably have follow up questions. I dont know why there's such a taboo about sex here. Go to europe and they'll be telling the kid straight up what was happening on the TV. i was raised by europeans who immigrated here. i know this.
Who cares what Europe does?

Id say 6am - 8am ;)

Who cares what Europe does?
they're the OGs.

Users who are viewing this thread