What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When will we finally get a Draft Dominator for iPads? (1 Viewer)

solorca

Footballguy
I'll reference a response from the "Interview with David and Joe" that was on the site last year...

From elbowrm: Similarly, how about a Draft Dominator for the iPad?

DD: 2012. We have a lot of stuff planned for mobile in 2012 that we have already begun working on. We expect to make some big splashes in that space by May 2012.

JB: ]Not this season but it's part of the next year onslaught. Clearly iPads and tablets are hugely popular. We're embracing those as quickly as possible.

When David and Joe started making comments about a "game changer", I thought that it would finally be time to see the ipad/tablet version of the draft dominator, which would actually be something that change things. When the actual announcement was an advertising campaign, I was disappointed.

In an era when so many people use tablets, especially when it comes to fantasy football...this seems like something that should have been developed quite a while back, but we're still waiting. I know that the Ipad Magazine was created, but trying to use it in a draft setting is useless. I tried during a mock to test it out...but every time you move to another page you then have to start over to get back to the draft mode. Basically, there is nothing dynamic to help make the drafting experience easier.

So Joe, David, other FBG's members, when are you going to back your previous words up and come through with something that will actually be a game changer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I doubt a full-fledged Draft Dominator ever happens. The program is extremely complex on a desktop. It would be a massive undertaking of a project to get it to work on an iPad. Personally I don't think the time and expense would ever be realized in sales (as it's super hard to sell iPad apps for greater than $5). I get the want. But I don't see us committing the resources to it anytime soon.

I'm looking forward to testing it on the gotomypc app. Waiting for the free 30 day trial to overlap with my final draft. Bummer, though, that I will need internet access to run it. Big $ draft at a pretty remote location this year, so will need to use laptop for that one.

I see us throwing our resources at an Interactive Magazine that Apple approves. We debuted a Draft Mode in our product this year, but we envision a lot more robust drafting program on that front. And although the most hardcore of users would rather have something closer to the Draft Dominator, we feel that an integrated magazine + relatively strong draft app will do a lot better in the iTunes store and allow us to price the product at a competitive $4.99.

Why don't you guys make it into an html5 web application then build apps for iphone/android/ipad that utilize functions that are 95% html5 and only 5% application specific? Linkedin did that with their recent mobile apps that received rave reviews from the tech community.

Draft Dominator seems ideal for a web app that runs in the browser. It's caused me to miss picks in the past because I need to fill in picks for the every team and usually make mistakes. Something that utilizes the MFL api that automatically fills in picks seems ideal.

I might just build a simple imitator for myself if I have some free time in August.

I see us throwing our resources at an Interactive Magazine that Apple approves. We debuted a Draft Mode in our product this year, but we envision a lot more robust drafting program on that front. And although the most hardcore of users would rather have something closer to the Draft Dominator, we feel that an integrated magazine + relatively strong draft app will do a lot better in the iTunes store and allow us to price the product at a competitive $4.99.
Yeah, I would be cool with that. Candidly, I don't use all of the features that DD has. I mostly use it to stay organized, leverage VBD and blend projections.

Why don't you guys make it into an html5 web application then build apps for iphone/android/ipad that utilize functions that are 95% html5 and only 5% application specific? Linkedin did that with their recent mobile apps that received rave reviews from the tech community. Draft Dominator seems ideal for a web app that runs in the browser. It's caused me to miss picks in the past because I need to fill in picks for the every team and usually make mistakes. Something that utilizes the MFL api that automatically fills in picks seems ideal. I might just build a simple imitator for myself if I have some free time in August.
Beta :hey: Tester

The problem with the draft mode on your ipad magazine is that all you see is a list of players (not even sure how they are ranked, since it doesn't say). No adp, no info... Just names and bye weeks. If you move away from that Page to look at other items, you have to maneuver all the way back to the draft Page. It isn't dynamic at all. Honestly, the magazine is pretty much just a pretty version of the stuff you already have on the site. Nice to have, but it doesn't really offer that much to the subscribers.

Personally, I doubt a full-fledged Draft Dominator ever happens. The program is extremely complex on a desktop. It would be a massive undertaking of a project to get it to work on an iPad. Personally I don't think the time and expense would ever be realized in sales (as it's super hard to sell iPad apps for greater than $5). I get the want. But I don't see us committing the resources to it anytime soon.
Draft dominator and other content is currently free with our yearly subscription. If I read this right iPad content will cost us additional $.

Draft dominator and other content is currently free with our yearly subscription. If I read this right iPad content will cost us additional $.
Correct. When the Draft Dominator for iPad is never released, you will be required to pay a $5+ fee for it.

I get that everyone's budget is different, but it's kind of hilarious seeing people complain about the cost of a well drink.

I get that everyone's budget is different, but it's kind of hilarious seeing people complain about the cost of a well drink.
:goodposting: "We want you guys to spend $10-20k to develop an app! Wait... WTF..... you're going to CHARGE EXTRA for it?!"You guys are already getting tens of thousands of pages of content, access to draft dominator for a PC, and you can feel comfortable that you're supporting the best online forums on the web..... and you're getting all that for under $30. This info is a steal. Another $5 or so for a sweet app would be another very good price.What if they charged $10 and it included free projection updates every year? Basically a $10 one time expense instead of a $5 annual recurring expense?

We think it would cost $50K (or more) to develop this properly and an additional $10-20K a year to improve it each year. We also would need money to market it. And we think people will object at paying much more than $4.99 for it (which Apple keeps $1.50 of). I am just not convinced that we could sell even 15,000 of these each year to commit these resources. If we get significant traction next year with an iPad magazine (and and integrated lesser functionality drafting tool), I think the natural progression is to keep building out the Draft part of the magazine. But to commit a ton of time, energy and resources to a project that looks like it won't have robust sales is not something immediately on our radar.

With the marketing advantage of the app store and a $5 price point, everyone on my league will have this. Oh wait...

That's disappointing, especially after the comments last year to the contrary.
If those numbers are even close to correct that Dodds was talking, then I have no problem with that. Is there that much of a demand? I doubt it. Especially if there is an additional charge. I expect a lot of iPad users would just use their laptop. Btw, what's the problem with using a laptop for DD?

That's disappointing, especially after the comments last year to the contrary.
If those numbers are even close to correct that Dodds was talking, then I have no problem with that. Is there that much of a demand? I doubt it. Especially if there is an additional charge. I expect a lot of iPad users would just use their laptop. Btw, what's the problem with using a laptop for DD?
Battery life, size, privacy, etc. for me. Based on the responses in here, maybe there isn't as large of a demand as I assumed. I just took their word for it that it was in the plans. I guess when they talked about a "game changer", this seemed like the logical step... Not a marketing promotion. I've been looking for a good way to draft on an ipad for years now, and was hoping fbgs would come through for me. I guess that's out of the question now.

With the Draft Dominator out, I think the next best thing is to make a better version of "draft mode". For instance, it would be nice to be able to press the name of the player to see how everyone ranks them, along with comments, etc (and an easy way to move back into draft mode without having to go back to the menu, and then back into draft mode...it just takes too long during a draft). Another MUST HAVE if the draft mode is truly useful would be including ADP (hopefully customizable based on which ADP you prefer.

Dodds

I would agree that it is not cost efficient for you to have a DD app

However, is there anything that can be done to have the VBD spreadsheet cheat sheet more in line with an iPad. I use notability and it would be awesome if I can copy the VBD cheat sheet into notability (or similar app) and just cross off players as they get picked.

I have zero tech knowledge so I don't know if this can be done, however, I am down to one computer left in my house that I can even use the VBD app due to only having excel on that machine and I can't print from it. When that computer goes, I won't be able to use the VBD app anymore and I really love it for the cheat sheets.

****As far as I know, the VBD app is the only way to get printable cheat sheets.

It is extremely disturbing to see the posts in this thread that are incapable of civil thought. I apologize for my rant but c'mon guys/gals is this what we have become? $30 dollars in today's economy can't buy a family of 4 a dinner at McDonald's and the angry mob is going to take an optimistic statement of things to come and equate that with demands for high end investments into a public forum in which we use as a tool to play a game!!! There is more information/tools/.../ in this website to drown out most all the other sites combined but hey why not ask for your rent to be paid as well. Again, I apologize, the national political narrative is probably more at fault for my anger but I just can't believe the demands that are made in the disguise of customer service. I was at a restaurant and I listened to a gentleman rant at how his entire family of 5 should eat for free because his eggs were not cooked to his standard. I am not trying to equate this instance of foodservice hospitality with the OP's example but what is wrong with the mindset to not sweat the small stuff??? And, more importantly, where is it written that because you have paid for a service that it must include every foreseeable desire from the end user. I do not speak for the FBG ownership group and I'm sure they can speak with more clarity to this issue but I just think that if we were to all start with a little more common sense, more things would find a way of working out. Oh yeah, and give peace a chance.

'David Dodds said:
Can you explain that in a bit more depth? I'm a software developer by trade and a long time football guy subscriber. I've used the draft dominator many times over.When I hear the "it would be so expensive/difficult" to create an ipad or desktop version, I think "really? Why? It seems pretty straightforward to me."I'll gladly give you the caveats that *any* software development is very expensive and also that there is surely complexity that I'm not seeing. Can you explain in a bit for depth where the complexity is in the draft dominator itself? Not asking to give away trade secrets, I just don't get why it would be as difficult as it's perceived to be.

It is extremely disturbing to see the posts in this thread that are incapable of civil thought. I apologize for my rant but c'mon guys/gals is this what we have become? $30 dollars in today's economy can't buy a family of 4 a dinner at McDonald's and the angry mob is going to take an optimistic statement of things to come and equate that with demands for high end investments into a public forum in which we use as a tool to play a game!!! There is more information/tools/.../ in this website to drown out most all the other sites combined but hey why not ask for your rent to be paid as well. Again, I apologize, the national political narrative is probably more at fault for my anger but I just can't believe the demands that are made in the disguise of customer service. I was at a restaurant and I listened to a gentleman rant at how his entire family of 5 should eat for free because his eggs were not cooked to his standard. I am not trying to equate this instance of foodservice hospitality with the OP's example but what is wrong with the mindset to not sweat the small stuff??? And, more importantly, where is it written that because you have paid for a service that it must include every foreseeable desire from the end user. I do not speak for the FBG ownership group and I'm sure they can speak with more clarity to this issue but I just think that if we were to all start with a little more common sense, more things would find a way of working out. Oh yeah, and give peace a chance.
I'm just asking for information on an app that they said we would have this year. That isn't demanding more for a small amount (I would gladly pay), or is it requesting every desire. It's asking for something that was promised.There is no "sweating the small stuff" here, I'm just expressing my disappointment in it not being available. I don't see how I've shown any disrespect here. I have every right, as a consumer, to ask a question about something being available that we were previously promised. Sounds like you're digging a little too deep to try to find something here. I still support the service, I was just hoping for something like this to be available.

DD, I understand you thoughts here. Let me express mine. For those of us who play high stakes, a tool like this is invaluable. It is easy to see it used all over the room in Vegas.

I would gladly pay $50 this year and $20 in ensuing years to have a DD iPad app. This means you only need 999 more like-minded people. :unsure:

I consider 100% of my subscription as paying for the DD. Everything else is gravy to me. Maybe I'm alone in my thinking.

Anyway, I was not impressed with the draft option of the magazine.

Thanks for what you guys bring to market in any case.

Btw, what's the problem with using a laptop
Walk into a Starbucks and ask the same question. :excited:
To answer mass raiders question: I will be using my laptop to run fan draft draft board this year and won't be able to use the dominator
Why not? How are you displaying the fan draft software? I use it and the draft dominator on the same machine. I plug my laptop into either a projector or tv and just use the projector or tv as a second monitor. I then move fan draft to the second monitor and keep DD in front of me. I have to look at the tv to type in the players, but it is better than having two laptops or no DD.

DD, I understand you thoughts here. Let me express mine. For those of us who play high stakes, a tool like this is invaluable. It is easy to see it used all over the room in Vegas.I would gladly pay $50 this year and $20 in ensuing years to have a DD iPad app. This means you only need 999 more like-minded people. :unsure: I consider 100% of my subscription as paying for the DD. Everything else is gravy to me. Maybe I'm alone in my thinking.Anyway, I was not impressed with the draft option of the magazine. Thanks for what you guys bring to market in any case.
I would do the same. Honestly, this will be my last year as a FBG subscriber, simply because I only play in one redraft league and there is very little dynasty info on here. With that said, I would gladly pay for the draft dominator application to use in this and future seasons.

DD, I understand you thoughts here. Let me express mine. For those of us who play high stakes, a tool like this is invaluable. It is easy to see it used all over the room in Vegas.I would gladly pay $50 this year and $20 in ensuing years to have a DD iPad app. This means you only need 999 more like-minded people. :unsure: I consider 100% of my subscription as paying for the DD. Everything else is gravy to me. Maybe I'm alone in my thinking.Anyway, I was not impressed with the draft option of the magazine. Thanks for what you guys bring to market in any case.
I would do the same. Honestly, this will be my last year as a FBG subscriber, simply because I only play in one redraft league and there is very little dynasty info on here. With that said, I would gladly pay for the draft dominator application to use in this and future seasons.
998 :yes:

The thing with laptops is that they will soon be a dinosaur (IMO)

Thus the continued migration towards tablets will mandate a paradigm shift in program development. $0.02

DD really needs a big overhaul honestly. Other draft applications exist that can automatically sync with an ESPN draft room, automatically input settings etc. All things that are huge timesavers. They're also based on platforms that make it easier to be compatible with tablets, phones, etc.

I'm just asking for information on an app that they said we would have this year. That isn't demanding more for a small amount (I would gladly pay), or is it requesting every desire. It's asking for something that was promised.There is no "sweating the small stuff" here, I'm just expressing my disappointment in it not being available. I don't see how I've shown any disrespect here. I have every right, as a consumer, to ask a question about something being available that we were previously promised. Sounds like you're digging a little too deep to try to find something here. I still support the service, I was just hoping for something like this to be available.
I'm not sure I understand. Your previous comments have admitted to no such promise of a product. In fact, you stated your disappointment in your misjudging the phrase "game changer". If you were promised something I apologize. Even so, the tenor of the posts I mention are not a respectful, fact searching one rather it is an overt grumbling at best. I didn't single you out either. I simply stated that the wording and attitude of the majority seemed inappropriate. Don't take it personal. If you have meant no disrespect fine, but I don't believe I have to "dig" at all to find the boldness of rude statements in this thread. Ask your questions. Create an honest discourse. But, if you believe the general tone of the comments I refer to are in a manner of respect then I disagree with you.

The thing with laptops is that they will soon be a dinosaur (IMO)Thus the continued migration towards tablets will mandate a paradigm shift in program development. $0.02
Software development has been moving to for browser applications for quote some time. Most apps will eventually be as obsolete as desktop software as the mobile and tablet browsers get better and internet (non 3g) is more widely available. Anything built for the browser should work well with a tablet or smart phone. Technologies to make this happen will also become more widely used.

The thing with laptops is that they will soon be a dinosaur (IMO)Thus the continued migration towards tablets will mandate a paradigm shift in program development. $0.02
I agree with this. I renewed my subscription this primarily for DD. I thought the best i could do was run it on my computer and access it from my iPad. But then I found an actual iPad app that allows you to sort by VBD. The app makes the excel based DD look archaic. The information on FBG is good but I always felt DD was what set them apart. Now they are losing that edge and by the sounds of this thread they are okay with that.

Software development has been moving to for browser applications for quote some time. Most apps will eventually be as obsolete as desktop software as the mobile and tablet browsers get better and internet (non 3g) is more widely available. Anything built for the browser should work well with a tablet or smart phone. Technologies to make this happen will also become more widely used.
Good god... really?

Please... enlighten ME with your prognostiacation... give me a 5 yr window under which laptop PCs and other machines of thier ilk will yield to tablets with regards to market share

I'm not sure I understand. Your previous comments have admitted to no such promise of a product. In fact, you stated your disappointment in your misjudging the phrase "game changer". If you were promised something I apologize. Even so, the tenor of the posts I mention are not a respectful, fact searching one rather it is an overt grumbling at best. I didn't single you out either. I simply stated that the wording and attitude of the majority seemed inappropriate. Don't take it personal. If you have meant no disrespect fine, but I don't believe I have to "dig" at all to find the boldness of rude statements in this thread. Ask your questions. Create an honest discourse. But, if you believe the general tone of the comments I refer to are in a manner of respect then I disagree with you.
My very first post shows a comment from Joe Bryant last year in an interview (posted on the site), stating that the ipad DD would be part of this year's "onslaught". My misjudgement of the "game-changer" thing was an added comment because I assumed they were going to be doing something that actually improved the product (and I think this would be a huge improvement), instead of an advertising opportunity with another company.Apparently your definition of "inappropriate" is different from mine, because I don't really see anything in this thread that comes close to that. Criticism is different from rudeness.

I agree with this. I renewed my subscription this primarily for DD. I thought the best i could do was run it on my computer and access it from my iPad. But then I found an actual iPad app that allows you to sort by VBD. The app makes the excel based DD look archaic. The information on FBG is good but I always felt DD was what set them apart. Now they are losing that edge and by the sounds of this thread they are okay with that.
Can you share this application? Through PM is fine if you don't want to advertise on here (not that it matters I suppose, since FBG's isn't competing directly with it).

'solorca said:
'skinsrule05 said:
'pizzatyme said:
Can you share this application? Through PM is fine if you don't want to advertise on here (not that it matters I suppose, since FBG's isn't competing directly with it).
I'd like this too, please.

'[icon] said:
'pizzatyme said:

Thus the continued migration towards tablets will mandate a paradigm shift in program development. $0.02
Please... enlighten ME with your prognostiacation... give me a 5 yr window under which laptop PCs and other machines of thier ilk will yield to tablets with regards to market share
Our opinions differ and that is okay.My link

Tablets 4 Laptops 0 in my household. :rolleyes:

'solorca said:
'skinsrule05 said:
'pizzatyme said:
x3. Thanks.

'solorca said:
'skinsrule05 said:
'pizzatyme said:
send it my way as well. ill take a look at it

'solorca said:
'skinsrule05 said:
'pizzatyme said:
send it my way as well. ill take a look at it
Me Three please. :thumbup:EDIT is it NFL Fantasy Cheatsheet 2012 (came up when I searched for fantasy football VBD in the app store)?If so, yes. This is a slick ### little app! :thumbup: :excited: I so wish I could combine this app with FBG projections

'[icon] said:
'pizzatyme said:

Our opinions differ and that is okay.My link

Tablets 4 Laptops 0 in my household. :rolleyes:
Sorry drunk posting last night... poorly phrased. Laptops = dinosaurs is a bit over the top. Tablets are no doubt booming, and cannibalizing laptop sales. However even if they edge past, I'd hardly call laptops dinosaurs. You're talking about a slight edge in sales... it's not like we're talking about floppy drives or something of that nature that's going away. Your sample size seems big enough to be valid. :P We have two ipads, a macbook pro, and a mac pro workstation at the house. If anything the desktop computer is going to be a dinosaur. The days of the "family computer in the corner of the living room" are dying.

Neither here no there... we agree that FBG would be well served by enhancing their tablet-friendly offerings sooner than later.

Also would like to see it please...only have my iPad with me for draft.

I've downloaded the NFL Fantasy Cheat Sheet and the FF Draft GM. Tinkering with them today.

I've downloaded the NFL Fantasy Cheat Sheet and the FF Draft GM. Tinkering with them today.
FF Draft GM looks solid as well. Downloading. I like that they use PFF projections and are customizable.... instead of just being locked into NFL.com's projections.

Users who are viewing this thread