What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (4 Viewers)

i take the bullet for this one, buddy - Marky was on the kit and in the vid - Tommy cut off playing on the album prior.

so fire away at me if need be.

Well, since you've outed yourself, I'd like to say that otb approached me in a kind way and said this, didn't ask for me to post about it or anything, but was just letting me know, not because he's anal or checking picks but because he's a Ramones expert. I made the decision myself to post about it, but given where we were in the countdown mentioned that Zegras could keep the pick, but I wanted to give him the opportunity to change it if he wished. We've been super nit-picky on all these countdowns, so this is nothing new, and never in my wildest dreams would I imagine someone taking it so badly. But if there is "fault," it's mine for posting about it, not otb's for pointing it out to me in a perfectly reasonable fashion.

I did check all the other Ramones entries after this and found another ineligible, so I had PM'd that person as well to see if they wanted to change. Hopefully it won't upset them.

ETA: And I should have said, I'm really sorry that it came to you (Zegras) when you were feeling so much other stress.

Thanks for the clarification.

Three posters were kind enough to send me in artists lists to choose from because, as I've stated before, I have about 1/10th the music knowledge compared to the rest of you. I was very appreciative of getting those three lists as my time is very limited these days. (and getting two to send last countdown!)

Two of the three listed The Ramones. I was thrilled to see them on the lists. Now, not so much.

Due to my lack of knowledge, I'll make sure to send all future lists to him for a thorough scrubbing.

I have about 1/10th the music knowledge compared to the rest of you
I have no doubt there are several here who are crazy knowledgeable about music. Then the rest of us sit on a sliding scale either bluffing our way through with wiki help or using internet lists to fill in gaps.

One thing life has taught me. As soon as you think you know something really well, someone around the corner will make you feel like a third grader with your lack of knowledge soon enough.

Main thing is a passion for the subject, in this case music, and open ears and minds. Lack of knowledge can be an extreme blessing. Always good to learn and hear new things.

Known Favorites

Brass In Pocket - The Pretenders (timscochet)
Look What You've Done - Jet (Just Win Baby)
Big Time Sensuality - Bjork (DrIanMalcolm)
Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - Metallica (Hawks64)
Dead Sound - The Raveonettes (rockaction)
I Touch Myself - Divinyls (ditkaburgers)
Good Friday - The Black Crowes (KarmaPolice)
Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House (higgins)

New To Me Favorites

Without A Sound - Headstones (Mister CIA)
Vidage - 1000mods (Raging weasel)
Foolproof - Ron Sexsmith (krista4)
Toys And Flavors - The Hellacopters (Eephus)
I Get Up - The Teskey Brothers (Hov34)
Fur Immer - Neu! (Oliver Humanzee)

The 5s playlist

@zamboni Can't find Yo Yas or the artist on Spotify.
It’s here - Kaveret is the artist and Yo Ya is an English phonetic spelling of the song title in Hebrew. If this link doesn’t work, I’ll dig it up.
Not a chance in hell I would have found that. I'll update when I can.
Next time I run into something along these lines, I’m going with “Chat and the GPT Band”
If you have anymore like this on your list, just look it up on Spotify and send K4 the link, otherwise I may just substitute for my own :lmao:

I have about 1/10th the music knowledge compared to the rest of you
I have no doubt there are several here who are crazy knowledgeable about music. Then the rest of us sit on a sliding scale either bluffing our way through with wiki help or using internet lists to fill in gaps.

One thing life has taught me. As soon as you think you know something really well, someone around the corner will make you feel like a third grader with your lack of knowledge soon enough.

Main thing is a passion for the subject, in this case music, and open ears and minds. Lack of knowledge can be an extreme blessing. Always good to learn and hear new things.
Thanks for taking the time to share this.

I came so close to not doing this round as I'm so busy, but I've learned so many, new (for me), great songs on the last few count downs and didn't want to miss it. And occasionally, I'm glad to chime in when I can. And thrilled when someone likes a song on my list.

Is a song I've played everyday since first hearing it on the US.. Just love it and hope to find more like it.

Carry on, I'm sorry that post hit me the wrong the way.

scorchy:

Hallucination Generation - Gruesome Twosome (Norway, France, Israel)

I'm gonna break the Thumper rule here, but it's my own pick, so here goes:

The band name is really dumb, the lyrics are nonsensical, and the vocal effects are almost comical. Listening in your office or while walking the dog, Hallucination Generation seems like a joke pick. But hear it at midnight under the sweet smell of fog machines and clove cigarettes, it magically transforms into a glorious freakshow. A Favorite comment from youtube:

Can anyone else taste the MDMA when they hear this?

I can't pass this one up either:

There's an awesome 1990s Goth/Industrial/Horror/Love story novella that explores this music and includes lyrics from this song. It's in a book called Reluctant Succubus and Other Tales of Sacrilege by Tytus Berry.

Hallucination Generation was on the only EP Gruesome Twosome ever released. Still have my CD copy. Amazon lists it for $49.99, but can't imagine they're moving many units.

I got busted for an ineligible song in the last countdown. That opened the door for the dashing Engelbert Humperdinck, whom I never should have strayed from.

Many, many people have been busted for ineligible songs both privately and publicly in all three countdowns, and I'm flabbergasted as to why I've now spent so much of my day on this in the thread and on PM with Zegras. I am thisclose to shutting the whole ****ing thing down. This is insanity, and guess what? I have a busy job, too. WTAF is going on here.

Raveonettes - Dead Sound (rockaction)

Probably the sweetest-sounding diss track ever. The music is totally waylaid by the lyrics here.

I picked this because I just love the percussive chimes (or whatever that synth instrument is) throughout. It was my ring tone for a long time and people always would ask what it was. It has sort of an ethereal yet rock vibe (with reverb) and Sharin Foo's vocals mixed with Sune Wagner's are in nice harmony and form here. The Raveonettes might not have broken too many new barriers, and were more camp than I would have gone for, but they made it all sound so heavy, distorted, and sweet.

My top 5 from the 4 point round, excluding my own selection and prior to listening to the songs new to me:
  1. MAC_32: Juke Box Hero - Foreinger
  2. timschochet: Brass In Pocket - The Pretenders
  3. simey: Take The Long Way Home - Supertramp
  4. New Binky the Doormat: Invisible Sun - The Police
  5. jwb: The Zoo - Scorpions
This round was the weakest yet for my taste. Expecting a turnaround soon.

70's KISS....

Some of the dudes from the old 'hood had KISS albums that we used to spin. It was the early 80's, so it was mostly older brothers of my buddies........There was something larger than life about them back then. The makeup, Ace Frehleys smoking guitar solos, Gene Simmons' tongue!.....it was a big part of rock culture back then........anyway, any of those old KISS songs could've been on my list. I went with Cold Gin cuz I've just always liked that slow riff......and it's kind of sleazy....perfect!

New To Me Favorites

Foolproof - Ron Sexsmith (krista4)

I'm happy to see this on someone's list, as I didn't figure it would hit the sweet spot for most people here. I think it's just gorgeous - so delicate and sedate, while packing a big emotional wallop. Ron Sexsmith is an artist I discovered during my Found Years. I know tim is also a fan, as we've discussed him somewhere along the way, but mostly Sexsmith seems to have remained less known than I would have expected when I found him.

Just now listening to the new-to-me songs, but my favorite already-knowns today:
- Big Time Sensuality by Bjork. I just love her. I don't listen to much of her music, but I have a pretty big girl-crush on her for her talent in both music and acting, and also because she's cute as can be. Of the songs I do know of hers, including those with the Sugarcubes, this is my favorite.
- Goodnight Tonight by Wings. I probably definitely underrated this as my #72 Paul solo song in my prior thread (in my defense, he has a lot of amazing songs), likely because it's a little 80s and cheesy. But it's infectious and has brilliant musicianship throughout.
- Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House. Was on my short-medium list. Gorgeous.

This isn't music-related, but given recent events I'm scared to leave this thread. @KarmaPolice (or anyone else), have you watched the Kubrick By Kubrick documentary?
No, I didn't even know this was a thing until reading this. I will check it out soon though - I was just talking to 80s that my heart isn't in this draft as much because I'm in obsessive movie mode and I've been hitting books/interviews/podcasts about Kubrick, PTA, Bergman, and Hitchcock in my spare time the past couple weeks instead of listening to music. Tonight I am going to watch something PTA since I've done the other 3 this week already.

Here are some known to me favorites from the 5 pointers.

Brass in Pocket - First song I ever heard on the radio by them, and I loved it.
Mama told me (not to come) - Groovy
(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone - Great song
The Bleeding Heart Show - I used to play this album a lot.
The Look - Catchy tune!
The Zoo - My favorite Scorpions song.
I Touch Myself - One of my favorite songs from '91.
Dead Sound - I dig this duo. I never knew their names until reading rock's post.
Invisible Sun - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 whoa-oh, oh, whoa-oh
Good Friday - I haven't heard this in a long time. It's good to hear it again.

Unknown favorites coming up...

Despite others not finding today's list as good, I found a lot of new-to-me songs to like on today's playlist, actually adding seven to my new-favorites playlist. Not quite making the list but really enjoyable were "Words of Wonder," which was lovely, and "Sunshine Day" by Osibisa. On the latter, I loved his voice so will check out more from him. The seven that did make my list were...blows out:

- The aforementioned song by Jet, which blew me away.
- The song by K. Frimpong, which reminded me quite a bit of one of my top five in this countdown...to come.
- The song with Rufus Wainwright, because duh.
- "I Get Up" by the Teskey Brothers. I added this so I could look up more, but I thought the supporting band here was not nearly at the level of the vocal. It's like they were doing a medium thing while he was balls out. @Uruk-Hai , you should listen to this one.
- "King of (S)pain" by The Tallest Man on Earth - another strong contender for my Blaze Foley Award.
- Whatever that song title was from Kaveret. :lmao:
- "Wake Me Up" from Avicii. After reading about this guy, I'm sure Ilov80s will mention I'm the only person on earth not to have previously known this song. What a tragic story. This was absolutely brilliant, so I have a sad now.

Last edited:
This isn't music-related, but given recent events I'm scared to leave this thread. @KarmaPolice (or anyone else), have you watched the Kubrick By Kubrick documentary?
No, I didn't even know this was a thing until reading this. I will check it out soon though - I was just talking to 80s that my heart isn't in this draft as much because I'm in obsessive movie mode and I've been hitting books/interviews/podcasts about Kubrick, PTA, Bergman, and Hitchcock in my spare time the past couple weeks instead of listening to music. Tonight I am going to watch something PTA since I've done the other 3 this week already.
Ha this draft and March Madness has knocked me out of my usual movie mode

Ha this draft and March Madness has knocked me out of my usual movie mode
After thinking about it, I think what happened is that the last two drafts knocked me so out of movie mode that I am overcompensating now and going bananas with the movie stuff. (of course not the list I am supposed to be doing though) :lol:

• Looking at the playlist, those album covers all look weirdly alike to start. So much plain white background.
  • Headstones lead singer sure sounds like The Hold Steady guy. Which is a very good thing.
  • I will be honest, I never realized I'm Not Your Steppin Stone was The Monkees. WTF this blew my mind.
  • Bleeding Heart Show is such a good song, Love that this made the countdown.
  • Kyenkyen Bi Adi M'awu....couldn't have said it better myself
  • I am kind of mixed on Phoenix but If I Ever Better quickly struck a chord in me
  • Sunshine Day :)
  • Kaveret...cool
  • King of Spain 😍

• And my winner of the day is : Toys and Flavors. Is this from 82, 92, 02, 12, 22... I am a little lost in the rock here!
As for my pick, I know Cumbia isn't popular in America but my Amor de Mis Amores pick is such a fire dance tune, I could have picked so many Cumbia songs but it didn't seem like it would be great for the playlists so this was the 1 honorary song to represent them all

Fantastic movie, I think Andy might just dig this one.
Tierney doesn't get enough credit. I feel like she got slighted as an actress because she was so sexually powerful. Kind of like Sharon Stone. Yet they were both perfect for their roles and in their roles for movies like Basic Instinct and Leave Her to Heaven.

Five-Point Selections:
Hawks64:

1- Welcome Home (Sanitarium)- Metallica
JMLs secret identity:
2- Sunshine Day- Osibisa (Ghana)

John Maddens Lunchbox:
3- A Wanderer In The Sleepy City- Wu Qing-feng (feat. Rufus Wainwright) (Taiwan)

ditkaburgers:
4- I Touch Myself- Divinyls
higgins:
5- Don't Dream It's Over- Crowded House (New Zealand)
Oliver Humanzee:

6- Fur Immer- Neu!
AAABatteries:

7-Wake Me Up- Avicii

Todays (hopefully) spoiler free talking points
1- Denmark is an interesting country for this format. With the vast body of work for Metallica vs less credentialled artists. I will be curious if anyone is keeping a tally of artists from countries (havent checked the spreadsheet yet) and times chosen.

2- In doing research for this I looked at books on singles teleased and where the artists came from and Osibisa came up from Ghana with the song I chose. Stupidly i neglected to do much research with this band. They were fairly big on albums charts in the early 70s, UK, US and Australia, but curiously no singles. This song is nice enough and all, but theres gotta be better stuff on their early albums. Albums dont go to #55 in the US, #11 in the UK and #13 in Australia and then repeat the process with their next albums without singles, whats on there?

3- I had Taiwan locked and loaded with a great rock song a taiwanese friend played to me 3 years ago. Only problem was I couldnt remember the name of the band or song. So i reached out to my friend and she couldnt remember either. Dammit. Research back to square one. I had stumbled across this Rufus number shortly before Krista mentioned Rufus in this thread so rather than spend countless time researching further, took the easy single. Its good enough I guess.

4- We see the Divinyls again. I kmow opinion is pretty divided on this song, but if you ever heard Chrissie Amphlett speak you wouldnt begrudge her any success. Shes from a really bad upbringing and dedication, hard work and the right collaborator got her where she got. You cannot understand how bad the Australian music scene was for female rock vocalists at the time. Gone too soon.

5- I think I wrote in the 1977 part 2 thread about how Neil Finn progressed from useless member of Split Enz to its singer and chief songwriter with the support and encouragement of his older brother Tim. Mentors like that in the music business are hard to find, but Neils transition from Split Enz running out of steam into Crowded House is astonishing. Neil improved in leaps and bounds with his underrated collaborators and its no stretch to say he is a songwriting genius. He makes the incredibly difficult so smooth and easy on the ear.

6-its funny how Neu went from being former members of early Kraftwerk, to outpacing them early in their careers, but once Kraftwerk too off with Autobahn, they sort of packed it in. The work of legendary producer Conny Plank is evident here and a quick look at his discography shows that Plank was a much sought after producer who artists would see over and over again. Kraftwerk, Neu, Can, Ultravox, Eurythmics etc. even Devo got their first album done in his studio. Neu continuing woukd have been fun to see but their body of work is still the envy of many

7-Avicii was lost to us way too soon. For Euro DJs to break through the mainstream is no easy task and his best work may have been ahead of him. Sweden was too crowded to use on him, but he was in the conversation. A very talented man.

I've been thinking about posting a movie-related thing for a couple of weeks (not in this thread, but I don't GAF now), but I'm still not sure how it will be received... :oldunsure:

Ah, why not. This thread can't get any worse!

I'm slightly involved in a project...awaiting final word but right now we think it's going to be premiering at Cannes. It's a new version, call it a "director's cut," of a well-known and well-derided movie...

Caligula

Before you judge it too much, watch this video to explain. Most of what you think you know about this movie isn't true.

I’m sorry about venting earlier about my suspension- I’ve deleted most of those posts (for all you fans of irony)just to move on.

My friend Doc will be back tomorrow and he’s usually a fine fellow that doesn’t drop the gloves on the message board very often. He’s going to mostly hang here and be a good boy and as always listen to the music play.

Users who are viewing this thread