What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where to draft Gronk? (1 Viewer)

Only trouble I have in mocks if I draft Gronk in first round is that I'm chasing for the next 4-5. I hate that. Usually means I end up without a true #1 WR or RB unless I get lucky and nab Hill and Evans.

I prefer to wait and take Kelce in the fifth.
the only problem that is if you miss kelce somehow then the drop to the next tier is drastic. A total crap shoot imo

Only trouble I have in mocks if I draft Gronk in first round is that I'm chasing for the next 4-5. I hate that. Usually means I end up without a true #1 WR or RB unless I get lucky and nab Hill and Evans.

the only problem that is if you miss kelce somehow then the drop to the next tier is drastic. A total crap shoot imo
I couldn't possibly disagree more with this stance. In fact, I think drafting any TE outside of Gronk anytime in the first ten rounds is just folly, because the position is so deep and loaded with potential for very good seasons.

I couldn't possibly disagree more with this stance. In fact, I think drafting any TE outside of Gronk anytime in the first ten rounds is just folly, because the position is so deep and loaded with potential for very good seasons.
Kelce is going way too early. It's just bad fantasy footballing to take a TE in the first 5 rounds based on potential.

Good posting....it is stupid to reach this year. Do your homework, pick up some high potential low round tes, and get ready to make pick ups in the first two weeks.

I would be leery taking a top 5 pick with Gronk because a. he has such boom or bust potential (injury wise) and b. you are passing surefire studs at rb or wr.

Kelce is going way too early. It's just bad fantasy footballing to take a TE in the first 5 rounds based on potential.
Also an excellent point. People are forgetting who the qb is here.

I agree with those saying that you grab Gronk in the first/second ground or you wait until round 10 or later..Jimmy Graham will get red zone looks but his overall targets will go down, and as awesome as Kelce looked at times last year he is held back by play calling and Alex Smith as his QB.

If I miss Gronk I've been aiming for Kelce in the fifth, hes regularly been going in the fourth at times. When that happens I try for Cameron in the 8th or Rudolph in the 9th and then a couple more in the late rounds, Josh Hill/Ladarius Green.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meatwad Reloaded said:
I would be leery taking a top 5 pick with Gronk because a. he has such boom or bust potential (injury wise) and b. you are passing surefire studs at rb or wr.
No such thing as surefire studs at RB anymore. The number of 1st and 2nd round RBs who have busted in the last couple years is pretty high. It's like a 50/50 shot seemingly that a 1st round RB you take busts. Meanwhile, Gronk not only has a much lower chance of busting, he gives you such a big advantage at an important position.

Meatwad Reloaded said:
Ilov80s said:
Freelove said:
pantherclub said:
Truebluey said:

Meatwad Reloaded said:
Ilov80s said:
Freelove said:
pantherclub said:
Truebluey said:

Drafting any player no matter what round is based on their potential.

Earliest I take Gronk is 3rd round. Too many issues that could hurt his value this year. Brady looks like he will miss a couple games. There is not much at WR for the Pats. With out much on the outside teams will come up with ways to bracket him and make it harder to put up points. Yeah I know there is a philosophy that the Pats will feed him the ball, but it is easier to take a TE out of a game plan from a defensive stand point. Gronk also comes with one of the biggest injury risk out there for top end players.

Meatwad Reloaded said:
Ilov80s said:
Freelove said:
pantherclub said:
Truebluey said:

Meatwad Reloaded said:
Ilov80s said:
Freelove said:
pantherclub said:
Truebluey said:

Drafting any player no matter what round is based on their potential.

Earliest I take Gronk is 3rd round. Too many issues that could hurt his value this year. Brady looks like he will miss a couple games. There is not much at WR for the Pats. With out much on the outside teams will come up with ways to bracket him and make it harder to put up points. Yeah I know there is a philosophy that the Pats will feed him the ball, but it is easier to take a TE out of a game plan from a defensive stand point. Gronk also comes with one of the biggest injury risk out there for top end players.
So how is this year's team any different than say, oh I don't know, any other Patriots team that Gronk has played on?

NE has never had a deep threat or great outside receivers in his timeframe. And every opponent has taken the stance of game planning Gronk out of the game.

I am telling you all now . . . the Patriots are going to take teams to the woodshed this year led by Brady, Grink, and Blount. I have those three on multiple teams.

Brady will not miss any games and be a Top 3 QB. Counting the playoffs last year, in his last 16 games he averaged slightly more than Luck and the same as Rodgers. So it's not like I am making stuff up to suit my cause.

The Pats will have packages with Gronk and Chandler and a lineman in the backfield, bringing 8 guys at defenders 270 pounds plus. In his last 16 games with the Pats, Blount has over 1000 rushing yards and 14 TDs.

Pats go scorched earth this year over Deflategate. Brady can be had in the 8th round. Will score the same as Luck and Rodgers rounds and rounds later.

Meatwad Reloaded said:
Didnt like half of those surefire stud RBs and WRs flop last year?

I guess to name a few disappointments: Peterson, Mccoy, AJ Green, Calvin.....all I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meatwad Reloaded said:
Didnt like half of those surefire stud RBs and WRs flop last year?

I guess to name a few disappointments: Peterson, Mccoy, AJ Green, Calvin.....all I can think of off the top of my head.
Let's not forget 2013, when the majority of 1st/2nd round RBs were busts: Spiller, Rice, Richardson, D. Martin, Foster, MJD, S. Jackson, Ridley, David Wilson, etc.

I have him 1.08 but would potentially take him 1.06 depending on scoring and knowing league are tendencies.

I look at it this way. In order to win you have to have as many sure things as possible. Discounting an injury, is there anyone at TE I'd put anywhere close to Gronk? Heck with the Graham and Thomas trades/FA I don't even think there is a tier 2 right now, they both went to unfriendly situations. So Graham might end up TE2 and end up 3-4 points a week behind, which is that really that much different than taking McCoy vs a bottom end RB1? Or having Jordy/Julio instead of Dez as your WR1?

To me there is too much uncertainty with too many players to leave him, especially considering what you could get in the second round if you pick late first. I have too many questions about McCoy, Anderson, Forte, and Hill to select them before the best player at a position (by a mile as well).

And then there is just the certainty of lineup. With Graham/Thomas switching cities I just won't take them unless they really fall. Past them I'm punting to TE10-12 range because there's just not a ton of difference between players. Barring injury, I know Gronk will not flop. No guessing games on who will give you a Larry Donnell or Walker 30 point week off waivers. It's much much easier to pull RB/WR points off of waivers or the end of a draft consistently because there are more of them.

I have him 1.08 but would potentially take him 1.06 depending on scoring and knowing league are tendencies.

I look at it this way. In order to win you have to have as many sure things as possible. Discounting an injury, is there anyone at TE I'd put anywhere close to Gronk? Heck with the Graham and Thomas trades/FA I don't even think there is a tier 2 right now, they both went to unfriendly situations. So Graham might end up TE2 and end up 3-4 points a week behind, which is that really that much different than taking McCoy vs a bottom end RB1? Or having Jordy/Julio instead of Dez as your WR1?

To me there is too much uncertainty with too many players to leave him, especially considering what you could get in the second round if you pick late first. I have too many questions about McCoy, Anderson, Forte, and Hill to select them before the best player at a position (by a mile as well).

And then there is just the certainty of lineup. With Graham/Thomas switching cities I just won't take them unless they really fall. Past them I'm punting to TE10-12 range because there's just not a ton of difference between players. Barring injury, I know Gronk will not flop. No guessing games on who will give you a Larry Donnell or Walker 30 point week off waivers. It's much much easier to pull RB/WR points off of waivers or the end of a draft consistently because there are more of them.
This touches on the Gronk advantage. Injuries aside, it is almost impossible to envision a scenario where Gronk is not the #1 TE and likely by a wide margin. You compare that to having Jordy or Julio over Dez. There are lots of smart fantasy players that have those 3 ranked in all different orders. If Biff showed us his sports almanac and it said at the end of the year any of those 3 was the #1 fantasy WR, nobody would bat an eye. There are 8 WRs that I say all have about the same shot at being the top WR. You can basically shuffle Brown, Dez, DT, Julio, Jordy, AJ, Calvin and ODB in any order you want. Then, you still have the Mike Evans, TY Hilton, Cobb, Kelvin Benjamin type guys who might not be far behind. As for RB, once the top 5 (Charles, Lacy,Bell, Peterson, Lynch) are gone, there is no real clarity. McCoy, Murray, Forte Anderson and Hill are all fairly interchangeable. Odds are 1 will out perform adp, 2 will probably be right around their adp, 1 will fall short of their adp, and 1 will be a total bust. Who falls into which category is just a guessing game. Gronk is the only guy that represents a clear separate tier. Even at QB. No doubt Luck and Rodgers represent the best combo of floor and ceiling. That said, we have seen Brees and Manning as recently as 2013 out produce them. Those guys seem to be trending down, but it is a lot more likely for Brees (5th-6th QB in ADP) to end up as the #1 QB than it would be for Bennett or Julius Thomas to end up as the #1 TE.

Looking at some ADP and he seems to be on average going early 2nd. Are you guys seeing that in your drafts? I would like to snag an Antonio Brown or Dez and then come back to get Gronk. Might be too risky though.

Freelove said:
pantherclub said:
Truebluey said:

I agree. I have pick 8, and like I said I'm considering Gronk - but of I pass or he gets taken ahead of me, the TE position will be amongst the last that I take in the draft.

So how is this year's team any different than say, oh I don't know, any other Patriots team that Gronk has played on?

NE has never had a deep threat or great outside receivers in his timeframe. And every opponent has taken the stance of game planning Gronk out of the game.

I am telling you all now . . . the Patriots are going to take teams to the woodshed this year led by Brady, Grink, and Blount. I have those three on multiple teams.

Brady will not miss any games and be a Top 3 QB. Counting the playoffs last year, in his last 16 games he averaged slightly more than Luck and the same as Rodgers. So it's not like I am making stuff up to suit my cause.

The Pats will have packages with Gronk and Chandler and a lineman in the backfield, bringing 8 guys at defenders 270 pounds plus. In his last 16 games with the Pats, Blount has over 1000 rushing yards and 14 TDs.

Pats go scorched earth this year over Deflategate. Brady can be had in the 8th round. Will score the same as Luck and Rodgers rounds and rounds later.
So they just didn't feel like going scorched earth in the last couple of years? I know you are basing this off the year following "Spy-Gate" but that had a lot to do with adding Moss and Welker as well. I'm not doubting that Brady, Gronk and Blount have great years (I'm counting on it in a few dynasty leagues) but I think you may be a bitt over-dramatic here.

So they just didn't feel like going scorched earth in the last couple of years? I know you are basing this off the year following "Spy-Gate" but that had a lot to do with adding Moss and Welker as well. I'm not doubting that Brady, Gronk and Blount have great years (I'm counting on it in a few dynasty leagues) but I think you may be a bitt over-dramatic here.
If they do, it is because their defense is not good this year.

Picking 7th hoping for Luck or Gronk.

In certain mocks. I'm laughed at for taking Gronk 7th and others I'm being told "I considered him 3rd, or 4th"

Had the 1st pick in a 10 team non ppr redraft this weekend and my first 3 picks were AP, Gronk, and J. Nelson. Very happy to see Gronk available there.

Had the 1st pick in a 10 team non ppr redraft this weekend and my first 3 picks were AP, Gronk, and J. Nelson. Very happy to see Gronk available there.
I have the 3rd pick in in my 10 team draft. I'd do backflips if I started with that trio.

In Brady's last 16 games (which includes his playoff run and his god awful game in KC), Brady threw for 4400/40 with 70/1 on the ground. The same guy that people thought was done at the start of last year. Brady had a slow start with Gronk still not up to speed, getting used to some new faces, and getting the OL to gel.

Funny, no one is talking about Brady the football player these days. That was 4400/40 BEFORE the projected scorched earth effect of Deflategate (well, I guess some will say he did so well because he cheated, but that's for a different thread).

In his last 16 games with NE (regular and post season split up over two seasons), Blount went for 1100 yfs/15 TD. Again, that has nothing to do with scorched earth mode either.

In Gronk's last 16 games (playoffs and last 13 regular season games last year), Gronk put up 90-1256-14. And yes, that does not account for scorched earth mode.

So EVEN IGNORING any motivation benefit from Deflategate (ie Scorched Earth mode as I call it), in their last 16 games played as Patriots, Brady-Blunt-Gronk accounted for:

Brady 416 fantasy points = QB 2 based on 2014

Blount 200 fantasy points = RB 8 based on 2014 in 0 PPR leagues

Gronk 209 fantasy points = WIDE RECEIVER #5 based on 2014, TIGHT END #1 based on 2004 by 55 points in 0 PPR leagues . . . 299 points in 1 PPR leagues

So realistically, I don't even have to embellish the narrative as to how these guys did and relatively how they are undervalued heading into this season. Sure, Gronk is a health risk and maybe people will be scared off that Blount will have some really terrible scoring weeks. But the numbers are the numbers.

I have pick 12 in a 12 team standard scoring draft coming up. Knowing my league mates' tendencies, I am pretty sure the main 5 RB's will be gone, plus Luck and Rodgers and I am pretty sure Brown, Dez, Murray and one other RB, maybe McCoy. So my choice will be either to take 2 superstar WR's like Julio and ODB/Thomas/Nelson or pair Julio with Gronk. At the moment, i'm leaning toward taking Gronk, even with the possibility of an up and down first 4 games assuming Brady's suspension remains. I don't like the RB's like Anderson and Hill nearly as much.

^ i dont get the "scorched earth" theory
don't get, or don't agree?
dont get or understand
The thought is that Belichick is the perfect combination of brilliant head coach and petulant child. With this in mind, he will want to say fongool to everyone who said they gained a distinct advantage by deflating balls by running up the score versus maintaining balance of score/TOP.

Additionally, given the fact that their secondary is going to be weaker than last season, they very well may need to score a bunch of points anyway.

I like the the theory, and as Yudkin mentions above, you don't even really need to buy into it to think that Brady will have a good PPG average. The question becomes how much time, if any, you think he will miss and what contingency plan you put in place.

I think teams in the NFL at this point know the drill, they dont need any additional motivation. Not sure I think the "disrespect" angle is going to cause them to score more points or whatever. I think something like that may work for a high school team for a game or so but not an NFL team over the course of 12 games.

I think teams in the NFL at this point know the drill, they dont need any additional motivation. Not sure I think the "disrespect" angle is going to cause them to score more points or whatever. I think something like that may work for a high school team for a game or so but not an NFL team over the course of 12 games.
I don't know that he's implying that they wouldn't be trying 100% before... I think he's implying that they might show less restraint, and be more inclined to run up the score more. I can see situations where that could happen. Could just be 3-4 cases of an extra TD here or there vs sitting on the ball to burn clock... but a half dozen-ish extra TDs can make a difference.

Far from a lock, but a viable consideration.

This is my team drafting from 1.11 (6pts TD all - 1pt/10 yrd pass/rush/rcv - ppr)

1.11 Gronk

2.02 Dez

3.11 B Cooks

4.02 Stafford

5.11 Morris

6.02 Randle

7.11 V Jax

8.02 J Stewart

9.11 McFadden

10.02 Fitz

11.11 Jets

12.02 Sproles

13.11 D Bowe

14.02 Keap

15.11 T Effert

16.02 Bortle

So how is this year's team any different than say, oh I don't know, any other Patriots team that Gronk has played on?NE has never had a deep threat or great outside receivers in his timeframe. And every opponent has taken the stance of game planning Gronk out of the game.

I think as preseason continues.....this will be less and less likely.

More people are going to start realizing that even if Brady gets 4 games......Brady and say someone like Palmer (or even Jimmy Garapapapapapalo) will be very much high QB1 production for the season.

I think the running up is a bit overstated.......I don't know if you'll see a lot of 49-14 games they're involved in. They'll put up points, but if they're up high....I don't think they're airing it out in the 4th just to butt hurt the league.

I think the running up is a bit overstated.......I don't know if you'll see a lot of 49-14 games they're involved in. They'll put up points, but if they're up high....I don't think they're airing it out in the 4th just to butt hurt the league.
If the league is all that salty over the whole thing, I'd be more worried that Brady's in a division where players like Suh and coaches like Rex might not be entirely against stretching the definition of the Carson Palmer rule.

Well, we all know and fully appreciate Bill Belichick as being a classy gentleman and wanting to uphold the spirit of fair play and not wanting to run up the score.

In my non-TE required league, he will probably go very late second or early third round.

DD has him ranked 27th.

I don't know that he's implying that they wouldn't be trying 100% before... I think he's implying that they might show less restraint, and be more inclined to run up the score more. I can see situations where that could happen. Could just be 3-4 cases of an extra TD here or there vs sitting on the ball to burn clock... but a half dozen-ish extra TDs can make a difference.

Far from a lock, but a viable consideration.
gotcha, yeah I can maybe see that

Well, we all know and fully appreciate Bill Belichick as being a classy gentleman and wanting to uphold the spirit of fair play and not wanting to run up the score.
BB does all he can to win. To that, risking injury to key players in blow outs in an attempt to run up a score to "prove a point" to the league makes no sense.

This is my team drafting from 1.11 (6pts TD all - 1pt/10 yrd pass/rush/rcv - ppr)

1.11 Gronk

2.02 Dez

3.11 B Cooks

4.02 Stafford

5.11 Morris

6.02 Randle

7.11 V Jax

8.02 J Stewart

9.11 McFadden

10.02 Fitz

11.11 Jets

12.02 Sproles

13.11 D Bowe

14.02 Keap

15.11 T Effert

16.02 Bortle
Stafford in the 4, McFadden in the 9th, and the Jets in the 11th are all head scratchers to me. Stafford more so than McFadden and not sure why you are talking any defense so early yet alone the Jets who you probably could have gotten in the final round and still had better options.

As for Morris in the 5th, Randle in the 6th, and Stewart in the 8th, I'm not sure how you pulled that off considering all these guys are all typically going in the 3rd or 4th round.

1.11 Gronk

2.02 Dez

3.11 B Cooks

4.02 Stafford

5.11 Morris

6.02 Randle

7.11 V Jax

8.02 J Stewart

9.11 McFadden

10.02 Fitz

11.11 Jets

12.02 Sproles

13.11 D Bowe

14.02 Keap

15.11 T Effert

16.02 Bortle
Stafford in the 4, McFadden in the 9th, and the Jets in the 11th are all head scratchers to me. Stafford more so than McFadden and not sure why you are talking any defense so early yet alone the Jets who you probably could have gotten in the final round and still had better options.

As for Morris in the 5th, Randle in the 6th, and Stewart in the 8th, I'm not sure how you pulled that off considering all these guys are all typically going in the 3rd or 4th round.
Draft was held in early june...

This is a QB league with 6pts/TD and 1pt/10 yards passing, Stafford was QB#7 drafted.

I guess I could have waited a bit more for the Jets

BB does all he can to win. To that, risking injury to key players in blow outs in an attempt to run up a score to "prove a point" to the league makes no sense.
So Gronk being on the field on an XP on what would be the 52nd point of the game was evidence that BB will pull his players? Or Wes Welker playing in a meaningless Week 17 game and tearing his ACL shows he will bench people to save them and reduce wear and tear?

So Gronk being on the field on an XP on what would be the 52nd point of the game was evidence that BB will pull his players? Or Wes Welker playing in a meaningless Week 17 game and tearing his ACL shows he will bench people to save them and reduce wear and tear?
Makes no sense. Hopefully, he learns from his mistakes.

Where do you take Gronk in a leage where there is no TE, only WRs? Meaning there is no TE starting position, but TEs can be played as WRs. Where does he fall in the WR rankings?

Where do you take Gronk in a leage where there is no TE, only WRs? Meaning there is no TE starting position, but TEs can be played as WRs. Where does he fall in the WR rankings?
TEs get bonus points?
No, same scoring as WRs. 1pt/10yds, 6pts per TD, non-ppr.
Late second or third round would still make sense, considering he scores like a top 10 WR.
I think he is closer to 5 than 10. Over the last 4 years, Gronk has averaged 13.1 fantasy ppg in non ppr with a low of 11.9 and a high of 15.1

Where would he have ranked each year if he was a WR in fantasy ppg?

14: WR9

13: WR13 (Jimmy Graham would also be a WR and was above Gronk that year)

12: WR3

11: WR2

The injuries definitely slowed him down, but I really like his consistency and upside. I think a full healthy offseason could lead to more of the 2011/12 Gronk.

Users who are viewing this thread