What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where's the SEC in the NFL? (5 Viewers)

Just have a gander at the numbers for Miami, Florida State and Florida to see where the players are coming from. As impressive as the numbers are for the SEC, the numbers for those three schools from one state are more impressive all things considered.
It is incredible. If you average out the 3 Florida schools over the course of all 3 time frames they score a 5. That is ridiculous.I've always said that you could make a conference entirely out of Florida schools... and it'd probably be deserving of an auto-bid. Especially if you threw in some of the out-of-state schools that primarily recruited in Florida (Louisville, I'm looking at you).

Just have a gander at the numbers for Miami, Florida State and Florida to see where the players are coming from. As impressive as the numbers are for the SEC, the numbers for those three schools from one state are more impressive all things considered.
It is incredible. If you average out the 3 Florida schools over the course of all 3 time frames they score a 5. That is ridiculous.
I've always said that you could make a conference entirely out of Florida schools... and it'd probably be deserving of an auto-bid. Especially if you threw in some of the out-of-state schools that primarily recruited in Florida (Louisville, I'm looking at you).If you could prevent the recruits from leaving the state, they'd be as dominant as the SEC is now. I was looking at Derrick Henry's scout profile and noticed that he was the #9 recruit in the nation, and #6 in the state. Think about that...

Found an article from Phil Steele breaking down bowl performances by conference from 2000-2009: http://blog.philsteele.com/2010/07/10/conference-bowl-rankings-past-decade/In the 3 years since, the SEC's 28 appearances are the most (Big 10 and Big 12 next with 25 each). The SEC's 17 wins are the most (Big 12 next with 13). The SEC's 18 ranked teams are the most (Big 12 next with 12). Here are the bowl records from each conference over that span-SEC 17-11Big 12 13-12Big East 10-6Big 10 9-16PAC 12 8-11ACC 10-13It's not hype if it's true.

Found an article from Phil Steele breaking down bowl performances by conference from 2000-2009: http://blog.philsteele.com/2010/07/10/conference-bowl-rankings-past-decade/In the 3 years since, the SEC's 28 appearances are the most (Big 10 and Big 12 next with 25 each). The SEC's 17 wins are the most (Big 12 next with 13). The SEC's 18 ranked teams are the most (Big 12 next with 12). Here are the bowl records from each conference over that span-SEC 17-11Big 12 13-12Big East 10-6Big 10 9-16PAC 12 8-11ACC 10-13It's not hype if it's true.
If these matchups took place during the regular season, they would have a better record.

It is incredible. If you average out the 3 Florida schools over the course of all 3 time frames they score a 5. That is ridiculous.
I've always said that you could make a conference entirely out of Florida schools... and it'd probably be deserving of an auto-bid. Especially if you threw in some of the out-of-state schools that primarily recruited in Florida (Louisville, I'm looking at you).If you could prevent the recruits from leaving the state, they'd be as dominant as the SEC is now. I was looking at Derrick Henry's scout profile and noticed that he was the #9 recruit in the nation, and #6 in the state. Think about that...I don't know about "as dominant as the SEC is now", but I could get on board with "as (or more) dominant as the SEC would be if you removed all players from the state of Florida".

Found an article from Phil Steele breaking down bowl performances by conference from 2000-2009: http://blog.philsteele.com/2010/07/10/conference-bowl-rankings-past-decade/

In the 3 years since, the SEC's 28 appearances are the most (Big 10 and Big 12 next with 25 each). The SEC's 17 wins are the most (Big 12 next with 13). The SEC's 18 ranked teams are the most (Big 12 next with 12). Here are the bowl records from each conference over that span-

SEC 17-11

Big 12 13-12

Big East 10-6

Big 10 9-16

PAC 12 8-11

ACC 10-13

It's not hype if it's true.
Although I think the SEC is the best football conference, counting bowl appearances/wins, BCS appearances/wins, and BCS title appearances/wins is a TERRIBLE way to evaluate conference strength because of the subjectivity of the process. Not only is there the fact that SEC teams get into more bowl games/BCS games due to the perception that it's the best conference and the fact that the fans travel well, these numbers also don't account for the size of the conference. It's also a small sample size ... unless you think that the Big East is basically tied for first with the SEC as best football conference?A far better measure of conference strength would be head to head records in inter-conference games between teams from the BCS auto qualifying conferences (not just OOC games, because you gotta eliminate the cupcakes). You could include both bowl results and regular season results. Are there such numbers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Found an article from Phil Steele breaking down bowl performances by conference from 2000-2009: http://blog.philsteele.com/2010/07/10/conference-bowl-rankings-past-decade/

In the 3 years since, the SEC's 28 appearances are the most (Big 10 and Big 12 next with 25 each). The SEC's 17 wins are the most (Big 12 next with 13). The SEC's 18 ranked teams are the most (Big 12 next with 12). Here are the bowl records from each conference over that span-

SEC 17-11

Big 12 13-12

Big East 10-6

Big 10 9-16

PAC 12 8-11

ACC 10-13

It's not hype if it's true.
Although I think the SEC is the best football conference, counting bowl appearances/wins, BCS appearances/wins, and BCS title appearances/wins is a TERRIBLE way to evaluate conference strength because of the subjectivity of the process. Not only is there the fact that SEC teams get into more bowl games/BCS games due to the perception that it's the best conference and the fact that the fans travel well, these numbers also don't account for the size of the conference. It's also a small sample size ... unless you think that the Big East is basically tied for first with the SEC as best football conference?A far better measure of conference strength would be head to head records in inter-conference games between teams from the BCS auto qualifying conferences (not just OOC games, because you gotta eliminate the cupcakes). You could include both bowl results and regular season results. Are there such numbers?

I haven't seen them, though I've looked in the past. I do agree that they would be a much more meaningful sample (especially because bowls sometimes result in bizarre situations, such as teams playing without a head coach, and there are motivation issues, too). Anyway, despite its flaws, bowl appearances vs. bowl record is still a solid way to evaluate conference strength. Yes, it's possible that hype causes undeserving teams to land in bowls... but that would result in a terrible bowl record as those undeserving teams got slaughtered. Look at Notre Dame for the classic example- they're a good draw, so they keep getting put in bigger games than their quality of play would merit, and the result is usually a bloodbath (Notre Dame owns the record for consecutive bowl losses, and they're 2-11 in their last 13). The sample sizes aren't great, but the SEC is so far ahead of the competition in terms of record that it doesn't matter much.

I think adjusting for conference size is a sensible adjustment, and it would push the Big 10 ahead in terms of total bowl appearances and BCS bowl appearances per team per season (and in truth, the Big 10 is already ahead in raw BCS bowl appearances if you count the tOSU and Penn State appearances that have since been vacated), but again, the gap in bowl performance is so massive that there's really no bridging it. I mean, the SEC is the only conference in the nation that has a winning record in NCGs. Hell, there are only 5 TEAMS with a winning record in NCGs, and all five of them reside in the SEC.

Very few SEC players at the the top of the NFL. Are we being misled?Qb's Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger, Luck, RGIII, Ryan, Flacco, Romo, Wilson, Kaepernick, BradfordRb's ADP, Rice, MJD, Martin, Lynch, Gore, Foster, Bush, Morris, Spiller, CJ2K, Forte, Bradshaw, SJax, McCoy, CharlesWr's Megatron, AJohnson, Marshall, VJax, Thomas, Bryant, Wayne, Welker, WhiteJJ Watt, Wake, Matthews, Miller are the Sack leadersKuechly, Bowman, Greenway tackle leadersNone of these players were SEC when they came to the NFL...I guess I am tired of hearing about all non-SEC players not ready for the NFL.
Congrats on the successful fishing trip

The all-time leaders in passing yards (Brett Favre) and receiving yards (Jerry Rice) were born in Mississippi.The all-time leading rusher (Emmitt Smith) was born in Florida.As I said before, it's not really where they went to college, it's where they were born or played high school football. Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens were FCS guys, but they're both from the "south". Owens was from Alabama. Moss was from West Virginia. I forgot to mention the Virginias, but there's some good players from there as well.

Simply look at previous draft charts to see how terribly flawed this post is.
Just the facts...go ahead and give us a some great SEC QB's? Who did I miss?
Oh, I get it.DELAWARE IZ A QB FACTORIE!That seems more appropriate for this thread.
Yes Delaware is a Super Bowl QB producing machine with Flacco & Gannon. Grossman was an ok SEC representative.I know this has already been stated - But what kind of representative was Eli Manning (Ole Miss) or Peyton Manning (University of Tennessee). If we are talking history, how about Bart Starr (Alabama), Joe Namath (Alabama), Ken Stabler (Alabama).Overall players in the the NFL today? By my count 281 players out of 1696 players. That is roughly 16.5% of the NFL. Or 1 out of every 6 players.
Alabama Crimson Tide – 23 playersMark Anderson, DE, New England PatriotsJavier Arenas, DB, Kansas City ChiefsAntione Caldwell, G, Houston TexansJames Carpenter, OL, Seattle SeahawksTerrence Cody, DT, Baltimore RavensMarcell Dareus, DT, Buffalo BillsBrandon Deaderick, DE, New England PatriotsWallace Giberry, DE, Kansas City ChiefsRoman Harper, S, New Orleans SaintsMark Ingram, RB, New Orleans SaintsKareem Jackson, DB, Houston TexansMike Johnson, G, Atlanta FalconsJarret Johnson, LB, Baltimore RavensRashad Johnson, S, Arizona CardinalsMarquis Johnson, DB, St. Louis RamsJulio Jones, WR, Atlanta FalconsEvan Mathis, G, Philadelphia EaglesLe’Ron McClain, RB, Kansas City ChiefsRolando McClain, LB, Oakland RaidersGreg McElroy, QB, New York JetsCharlie Peprah, QB, Green Bay PackersDeMeco Ryans, LB, Houston TexansAndre Smith, OL, Cincinnati BengalsArkansas Razorbacks – 15 playersJamaal Anderson, DE, Indianapolis ColtsNate Garner, OL, Miami DolphinsBrett Goode, LS, Green Bay PackersPeyton Hillis, RB, Cleveland BrownsChris Houston, DB, Detroit LionsFelix Jones, RB, Dallas CowboysDeMarcus Love, OL, Minnesota VikingsRyan Mallett, QB, New England PatriotsDarren McFadden, RB, Oakland RaidersJason Peters, OL, Philadelphia EaglesMitch Petrus, OL, New York GiantsMalcolm Sheppard, DT, Tennessee TitansBobbie Williams, OL, Cincinnati BengalsDJ Williams, TE, Green Bay PackersGeorge Wilson, S, Buffalo BillsAuburn Tigers – 28 playersDevin Aromashodu, WR, Minnesota VikingsRonnie Brown, RB, Philadelphia EaglesJason Campbell, QB, Oakland RaidersZach Clayton, DT, Tennessee TitansKarlos Dansby, LB, Miami DolphinsKing Dunlap, OL, Philadelphia EaglesNick Fairley, DT, Detroit LionsMario Fannin, RB, Denver BroncosTyronne Green, OL, San Diego ChargersQuentin Groves, LB, Oakland RaidersBen Grubbs, OL, Baltimore RavensWill Herring, LB, New Orleans SaintsSpencer Johnson, DE, Buffalo BillsPat Lee, DB, Green Bay PackersSen’Derrick Marks, DT, Tennessee TitansMarcus McNeill, OL, San Diego ChargersCam Newton, QB, Carolina PanthersBen Obomanu, WR, Seattle SeahawksJarraud Powers, DB, Indianapolis ColtsJay Ratliff, DT, Dallas CowboysCarlos Rogers, DB, San Francisco 49ersPat Sims, DT, Cincinnati BengalsTakeo Spikes, LB, San Diego ChargersBen Tate, RB, Houston TexansReggie Torbor, LB, Buffalo BillsJonathan Wilhite, CB, Denver BroncosCadillac Williams, RB, St Louis RamsLee Ziemba, OL, Carolina PanthersFlorida Gators – 32 playersAndre Caldwell, WR, Cincinnati BengalsCooper Carlise, OL, Oakland RaidersRiley Cooper, WR, Philadelphia EaglesJermaine Cunningham, LB, New England PatriotsAndra Davis, LB, Buffalo BillsCarlos Dunlap, DE, Cincinnati BengalsJabar Gaffney, WR, Washington RedskinsMarcus Gilbert, OL, Pittsburgh SteelersEarnest Graham, RB, Tampa Bay BuccaneersRex Grossman, QB, Washington RedskinsJoe Haden, DB, Cleveland BrownsDerrick Harvey, DE, Denver BroncosPercy Harvin, WR, Minnesota VikingsChas Henry, P, Philadelphia EaglesAaron Hernandez, TE, New England PatriotsRay McDonald, DL, San Francisco 49ersDrew Miller, C, St. Louis RamsJeremy Mincey, DE, Jacksonville JaguarsJarvis Moss, DE, Oakland RaidersLouis Murphy, WR, Oakland RaidersReggie Nelson, S, Cincinnati BengalsDavid Nelson, WR, Buffalo BillsMike Peterson, LB, Atlanta FalconsMarkice Pouncey, C, Pittsburgh SteelersMike Pouncey, C, Miami DolphinsBrandon Siler, LB, Kansas City ChiefsBrandon Spikes, LB, New England PatriotsTim Tebow, QB, Denver BroncosMarcus Thomas, DT, Denver BroncosJustin Trattou, DE, New York GiantsGerard Warren, DE, New England PatriotsMajor Wright, S, Chicago BearsGeorgia Bulldogs – 35 playersAsher Allen, CB, Minnesota VikingsGeno Atkins, DT, Cincinnati BengalsChamp Bailey, CB, Denver BroncosClint Boling, G, Cincinnati BengalsChris Clemons, DE, Seattle SeahawksThomas Davis, LB, Carolina PanthersAkeem Dent, LB, Atlanta FalconsDemarcus Dobbs, DT, San Francisco 49ersKris Durham, WR, Seattle SeahawksDannell Ellerbe, LB, Baltimore RavensDarryl Gamble, LB, San Diego ChargersRobert Geathers, DE, Cincinnati BengalsKedric Golston, DE, Washington RedskinsA.J. Green, WR, Cincinnati BengalsJustin Houston, LB, Kansas City ChiefsTim Jennings, CB, Chicago BearsCharles Johnson, DE, Carolina PanthersSean Jones, S, Tampa Bay BuccaneersReshad Jones, S, Miami DolphinsJohn Kasay, PK, New Orleans SaintsKregg Lumpkin, RB, Tampa Bay BuccaneersMohamed Massaquoi, WR, Cleveland BrownsRandy McMichael, TE, San Diego ChargersKnowshon Moreno, RB, Denver BroncosPaul Oliver, S, New Orleans SaintsLeonard Pope, TE, Kansas City ChiefsDennis Roland, OT, Cincinnati BengalsRichard Seymour, DT, Oakland RaidersMatthew Stafford, QB, Detroit LionsFernando Velasco, C, Tennessee TitansHines Ward, WR, Pittsburgh SteelersDanny Ware, RB, New York GiantsBenjamin Watson, TE, Cleveland BrownsWill Witherspoon, LB, Tennessee TitansJarius Wynn, DE, Green Bay PackersKentucky Wildcats – 12 playersRandall Cobb, WR, Green Bay PackersJohn Conner, FB, New York JetsJeremy Jarmon, DT, Denver BroncosSteve Johnson, WR, Buffalo BillsTrevard Lindley, CB, Philadelphia EaglesTim Masthay, P, Green Bay PackersCorey Peters, DT, Atlanta FalconsMyron Pryor, DR, New England PatriotsAlfonso Smith, RB, Arizona CardinalsJacob Tamme, TE, Indianapolis ColtsGarry Williams, OT, Carolina PanthersWesley Woodyard, LB, Denver BroncosLSU Tigers – 38 playersJoseph Addai, RB, Indianapolis ColtsJoe Barksdale, OT, Oakland RaidersDwayne Bowe, WR, Kansas City ChiefsRyan Clark, S, Pittsburgh SteelersTravis Daniels, CB, Kansas City ChiefsGlenn Dorsey, DE, Kansas City ChiefsEarly Doucet, WR, Arizona CardinalsKevin Faulk, RB, New England PatriotsMatt Flynn, QB, Green Bay PackersHoward Green, NT, Green Bay PackersChris Hawkins, CB, Tennessee TitansDevery Henderson, WR, New Orleans SaintsJacob Hester, FB, San Diego ChargersTyson Jackson, DE, Kansas City ChiefsBradie James, LB, Dallas CowboysRicky Jean Francois, DT, San Francisco 49ersQuinn Johnson, FB, Tennessee TitansDonnie Jones, P, St. Louis RamsBrandon LaFell, WR, Carolina PanthersLaRon Landry, S, Washington RedskinsNate Livings, G, Cincinnati BengalsTodd McClure, C, Atlanta FalconsDanny McCray, S, Dallas CowboysRichard Murphy, RB, Jacksonville JaguarsDrake Nevis, DT, Indianapolis ColtsStephen Peterman, G, Detroit LionsPatrick Peterson, CB, Arizona CardinalsStevan Ridley, RB, New England PatriotsPerry Riley, LB, Washington RedskinsKelvin Sheppard, LB, Buffalo BillsMarcus Spears, DE, Dallas CowboysCraig Steltz, S, Chicago BearsTerrence Toliver, WR, Houston TexansCorey Webster, CB, New York GiantsAndrew Whitworth, OT, Cincinnati BengalsKyle Williams, DT, Buffalo BillsKeiland Williams, RB, Detroit LionsAl Woods, DT, Seattle SeahawksMississippi State Bulldogs – 15 playersTitus Brown, LB, Cleveland BrownsJamar Chaney, LB, Philadelphia EaglesAnthony Dixon, RB, San Francisco 49ersMario Haggan, LB, Denver BroncosAntonio Johnson, DT, Indianapolis ColtsReggie Kelly, TE, Atlanta FalconsTommy Kelly, DT, Oakland RaidersKyle Love, DT, New England PatriotsPernell McPhee, DE, Baltimore RavensJerious Norwood, RB, St. Louis RamsDerek Sherrod, OL, Green Bay PackersDavid Stewart, OL, Tennessee TitansChris White, LB, Buffalo BillsFloyd Womack, OL, Arizona CardinalsKJ Wright, LB, Seattle SeahawksOle Miss Rebels – 21 playersStacy Andrews, OL, New York GiantsBenJarvus Green-Ellis, RB, New England PatriotsBruce Hall, RB, Buffalo BillsGreg Hardy, DE, Carolina PanthersPeria Jerry, DT, Atlanta FalconsJohn Jerry, OL, Miami DolphinsKendrick Lewis, S, Kansas City ChiefsEli Manning, QB, New York GiantsDexter McCluster, RB, Kansas City ChiefsJayme Mitchell, DE, Cleveland BrownsMichael Oher, OL, Baltimore RavensAshlee Palmer, LB, Detroit LionsJermey Parnell, OL, Dallas CowboysJerrell Powe, NT, Kansas City ChiefsJamarca Sanford, S, Minnesota VikingsChris Spencer, C, Chicago BearsMichael Spurlock, WR, Tampa Bay BuccaneersEmmanuel Stephens, DE, Cleveland BrownsCassius Vaughn, DB, Denver BroncosMike Wallace, WR, Pittsburgh SteelersPatrick Willis, LB, San Francisco 49ersSouth Carolina Gamecocks – 22 playersJohn Abraham, DE, Atlanta FalconsJasper Brinkley, LB, Minnesota VikingsSheldon Brown, CB, Cleveland BrownsEmanuel Cook, S, New York JetsJared Cook, TE, Tennessee TitansChris Culliver, SB, San Francisco 49ersPatrick DiMarco, FB, San Diego ChargersClifton Geathers, DE, Dallas CowboysAndre’ Goodman, CB, Denver BroncosLemuel Jeanpierre, G, Seattle SeahawksJohnathan Joseph, CB, Houston TexansJarriel King, OT, Seattle SeahawksCliff Matthews, DE, Atlanta FalconsCaptain Munnerlyn, CB, Carolina PanthersEric Norwood, DE, Carolina PanthersSidney Rice, WR, Seattle SeahawksDunta Robinson, CB, Atlanta FalconsWeslye Saunders, TE, Pittsburgh SteelersShaun Smith, DT, Tennessee TitansDarian Stewart, S, St. Louis RamsRyan Succop, PK, Kansas City ChiefsTravelle Wharton, G, Carolina PanthersTennessee Volunteers – 36 playersJason Allen, CB, Houston TexansRobert Ayers, DE, Denver BroncosEric Berry, S, Kansas City ChiefsKevin Burnett, LB, Miami DolphinsChad Clifton, OT, Green Bay PackersDustin Colquitt, P, Kansas City ChiefsBritton Colquitt, P, Denver BroncosMorgan Cox, LS, Baltimore RavensShaun Ellis, DE, New England PatriotsArian Foster, RB, Houston TexansRamon Foster, OT, Pittsburgh SteelersAubrayo Franklin, DT, New Orleans SaintsOman Gaither, LB, Carolina PanthersDeon Grant, S, New York GiantsJabari Greer, CB, New Orleans SaintsParys Haralson, LB, San Francisco 49ersMontario Hardesty, RB, Cleveland BrownsAlbert Haynesworth, DT, New England PatriotsJohn Henderson, DT, Oakland RaidersAnthony Herrera, G, Minnesota VikingsPeyton Manning, QB, Indianapolis ColtsDavid Martin, TE, Buffalo BillsJerod Mayo, LB, New England PatriotsTurk McBride, DE, New Orleans SaintsJacques McClendon, G, Detroit LionsTony McDaniel, DE, Miami DolphinsRobert Meachem, WR, New Orleans SaintsMarvin Mitchell, LB, Miami DolphinsDenarius Moore, WR, Oakland RaidersChris Scott, OT, Pittsburgh SteelersDonte’ Stallworth, WR, Washington RedskinsLuke Stocker, TE, Tampa Bay BuccaneersScott Wells, C, Green Bay PackersDan Williams, DT, Arizona CardinalsGibril Wilson, S, Cincinnati BengalsJason Witten, TE, Dallas CowboysVanderbilt Commodores – 6 playersEarl Bennett, WR, Chicago BearsJay Cutler, QB, Chicago BearsJonathan Goff, LB, New York GiantsMyron Lewis, CB, Tampa Bay BuccanneersD.J. Moore, CB, Chicago BearsChris Williams, OT, Chicago Bears
Never seemed more appropriate than here to use since it directly answers the title of this thread./threadThis didn't get enough love, IMHO

We should start a fantasy league divided into conferences where you can only draft players that played in an associated NCAA conference. I'll take the first SEC slot.

We should start a fantasy league divided into conferences where you can only draft players that played in an associated NCAA conference. I'll take the first SEC slot.
Pac 12 or whatever.RodgersBushLynchSteve Smith?Tony GonzalezBIGBrees/Brady/Wilson (can we have a 2 QB league...cause the BIG will get killed at RB and WR)Shonn GreeneBrian HartlineGetting ugly...

Yes, yes it is. But their bias of the SEC is second only to super-fandom.
How is it bias to point out how great the SEC is? 7 straight BCS titles from 4 different schools. 9 total from 5 different schools. 4 more schools have made a BCS bowl. All 12 have made multiple bowl games. The conference as a whole has the record for most BCS bowl appearances and most total bowl appearances. It also has the best record in BCS bowls and in all bowls, proving they were worthy participants and not hype selections. Half of the top 10 teams in the country came from the SEC this year. Oklahoma fans whined about missing a BCS bowl this year, but the SEC had no less than 4 schools ranked higher who didn't get to play in a BCS bowl. FOUR (including the team that ran Oklahoma off the field). Prior to the SEC, no conference had captured 3 straight titles since the '50s... and the SEC has run it to 7 and counting. No conference in history had won 3 straight titles by 3 different teams, and the SEC actually got it to 4 straight (a third of the conference!). This is not bias. This is not hyperbole. This is a recognition of how truly unprecedented and, frankly, awe-inspiring the recent SEC run has been. Now, it's not like no one else plays good football. Teams like Texas, tOSU, (other)USC, Oregon, and Oklahoma are every bit as good as the elite teams in the SEC. The problem is that nowhere else has so many good teams concentrated in one place. When Texas or Oklahoma has a bad year, the Big 12(/10) is down. When USC falls apart, the Pac-12 is shallow. When tOSU gets put on probation, the Big-10/11/12 is atrocious. When Miami and Florida State hit a slump at the same time, the ACC is a punch line (seriously, one of their championship game participants petitioned the NCAA for the right to play in a bowl game despite having a losing record). Meanwhile, the SEC is so deep that when teams fall off (as all teams do, because success is cyclical), no one notices. Seriously, Tennessee has been terrible for years. That used to be one of the flagship programs, the Texas or Oklahoma of the SEC, and they've been a complete afterthought for nearly a decade, and no one notices. When Florida is down, USC steps up. When Alabama struggles, LSU carries the West. Occasionally, one of the doormats steps up and makes things interesting, like Vandy has done in making three straight bowls. It's not that the great teams in the SEC are so much better than the great teams in the other conferences, it's that they're just so much more numerous. As evidenced by the fact that Alabama, the best team in the league, is something like 6th in the conference in terms of alumni playing in the NFL.Again, this isn't hype or bias. This is truth, supported by a whole range of facts, from bowl appearances and bowl victories, to BCS appearances and BCS victories, to the championships (9-1 in championship games, with the only loss coming at the hands of another SEC school), to the draft, to NFL rosters. The SEC tops every list. Maybe not by as much as some would have you believe, but by enough to make it clear that the SEC deserves the praise it receives. No single conference has ever dominated the landscape of college football like the SEC has over the last decade.You're saying they can't be biased towards the SEC, protecting their UNGODLY amount of money spent, because the SEC is good? Everyone they're biased towards is good. It has nothing to do with them not being worthy of praise. Like last year with the NC being a re-match of Bama/LSU. Any other year, ESPN would be on the "bash the BCS" train, because controversy sells and they're a controversy station first and an actual sports station second. That year, almost every Bristol employee lauded the great match-up.

You're saying they can't be biased towards the SEC, protecting their UNGODLY amount of money spent, because the SEC is good? Everyone they're biased towards is good. It has nothing to do with them not being worthy of praise. Like last year with the NC being a re-match of Bama/LSU. Any other year, ESPN would be on the "bash the BCS" train, because controversy sells and they're a controversy station first and an actual sports station second. That year, almost every Bristol employee lauded the great match-up.
So you're saying they're biased towards calling a good football conference a good football conference? That... doesn't seem like bias to me.

You're saying they can't be biased towards the SEC, protecting their UNGODLY amount of money spent, because the SEC is good? Everyone they're biased towards is good. It has nothing to do with them not being worthy of praise. Like last year with the NC being a re-match of Bama/LSU. Any other year, ESPN would be on the "bash the BCS" train, because controversy sells and they're a controversy station first and an actual sports station second. That year, almost every Bristol employee lauded the great match-up.
So you're saying they're biased towards calling a good football conference a good football conference? That... doesn't seem like bias to me.You seem like a smart enough guy, I don't see why you're being difficult. ESPN never shies away from controversy in the BCS, or in general. It's more of a building block of the new era of ESPN than any individual sport is. But they do one year for a re-match of a bad game, which resulted in an absolutely unwatchable game. Coincidentally the game is in their station and they just had bought the rights to the conference for ridiculous money. That screams bias, and it has nothing to do with how good the SEC is.And it's GOOD business sense to. I don't blame them there. But yes, it IS bias.

Pac 12 or whatever.RodgersBushLynchSteve Smith?Tony GonzalezBIGBrees/Brady/Wilson (can we have a 2 QB league...cause the BIG will get killed at RB and WR)Shonn GreeneBrian HartlineGetting ugly...Jahvid Be.... nevermind :(

ACC probably wins this league, although they're a little weak at RB:Matt RyanCJ SpillerFrank GoreCalvin JohnsonAndre JohnsonDemaryious Thomas/Reggie WayneJimmy GrahamWouldn't surprise me if the SEC was actually third or fourth. Definitely behind the Big 12, right?

ACC probably wins this league, although they're a little weak at RB:Matt RyanCJ SpillerFrank GoreCalvin JohnsonAndre JohnsonDemaryious Thomas/Reggie WayneJimmy GrahamWouldn't surprise me if the SEC was actually third or fourth. Definitely behind the Big 12, right?Yeah...after i did the Pac...I started thinking of the WR corps of that ACC squad.Also forgot Gronk with my Pac squad that helps out.But Gore/Spiller is not bad.The BIG gets a better squad after expansion by being able to add Ray Rice. :)Big 12.RGIIIPetersonCharlesJordy NelsonDez BryantMichael CrabtreeGresham/Finley

ACC probably wins this league, although they're a little weak at RB:Matt RyanCJ SpillerFrank GoreCalvin JohnsonAndre JohnsonDemaryious Thomas/Reggie WayneJimmy GrahamWouldn't surprise me if the SEC was actually third or fourth. Definitely behind the Big 12, right?
Yeah...after i did the Pac...I started thinking of the WR corps of that ACC squad.Also forgot Gronk with my Pac squad that helps out.But Gore/Spiller is not bad.The BIG gets a better squad after expansion by being able to add Ray Rice. :)Big 12.RGIIIPetersonCharlesJordy NelsonDez BryantMichael CrabtreeGresham/FinleyI'd take Welker over Nelson or Crabtree, but yeah, killer squad. SEC-Manning/Newton QBBCFosterRichardsonHarvinGreenJulioWitten/HernandezI think the SEC's WRs might match the ACCs, to be honest, and I'd prefer SECQB/Foster/Richardson to Ryan/Spiller/Gore. I think the ACC squad would be third behind the SEC and the Big12/10, provided Griffin is healthy (if he's not, and they're forced to go to Dalton/Bradford, all bets are off). PPR would move the ACC to 2nd. From a redraft perspective, it's close, but I'd prefer the SEC squad because of the questions at QB for the Big12/10. Peterson is obviously a huge advantage, but Foster mitigates him, Richardson and Charles are close, and the SEC has a big advantage at WR/TE. From a dynasty perspective, there's no question at all that I want the SEC squad. Outside of Arian Foster, every core player is 23 or 24. Handcuff Foster with Tate, add McFadden, Ingram, and Lacy for depth, and that team is set for a decade.

Yeah...after i did the Pac...I started thinking of the WR corps of that ACC squad.Also forgot Gronk with my Pac squad that helps out.But Gore/Spiller is not bad.The BIG gets a better squad after expansion by being able to add Ray Rice. :)Big 12.RGIIIPetersonCharlesJordy NelsonDez BryantMichael CrabtreeGresham/FinleyI'd take Welker over Nelson or Crabtree, but yeah, killer squad. SEC-Manning/Newton QBBCFosterRichardsonHarvinGreenJulioWitten/HernandezI think the SEC's WRs might match the ACCs, to be honest, and I'd prefer SECQB/Foster/Richardson to Ryan/Spiller/Gore. I think the ACC squad would be third behind the SEC and the Big12/10, provided Griffin is healthy (if he's not, and they're forced to go to Dalton/Bradford, all bets are off). PPR would move the ACC to 2nd. From a redraft perspective, it's close, but I'd prefer the SEC squad because of the questions at QB for the Big12/10. Peterson is obviously a huge advantage, but Foster mitigates him, Richardson and Charles are close, and the SEC has a big advantage at WR/TE. From a dynasty perspective, there's no question at all that I want the SEC squad. Outside of Arian Foster, every core player is 23 or 24. Handcuff Foster with Tate, add McFadden, Ingram, and Lacy for depth, and that team is set for a decade.This might actually be interesting to do. Run a rotisserie style league where you pick a starting lineup every week out of conference alums.

Yeah...after i did the Pac...I started thinking of the WR corps of that ACC squad.Also forgot Gronk with my Pac squad that helps out.But Gore/Spiller is not bad.The BIG gets a better squad after expansion by being able to add Ray Rice. :)Big 12.RGIIIPetersonCharlesJordy NelsonDez BryantMichael CrabtreeGresham/Finley
I'd take Welker over Nelson or Crabtree, but yeah, killer squad. SEC-Manning/Newton QBBCFosterRichardsonHarvinGreenJulioWitten/HernandezI think the SEC's WRs might match the ACCs, to be honest, and I'd prefer SECQB/Foster/Richardson to Ryan/Spiller/Gore. I think the ACC squad would be third behind the SEC and the Big12/10, provided Griffin is healthy (if he's not, and they're forced to go to Dalton/Bradford, all bets are off). PPR would move the ACC to 2nd. From a redraft perspective, it's close, but I'd prefer the SEC squad because of the questions at QB for the Big12/10. Peterson is obviously a huge advantage, but Foster mitigates him, Richardson and Charles are close, and the SEC has a big advantage at WR/TE. From a dynasty perspective, there's no question at all that I want the SEC squad. Outside of Arian Foster, every core player is 23 or 24. Handcuff Foster with Tate, add McFadden, Ingram, and Lacy for depth, and that team is set for a decade.This might actually be interesting to do. Run a rotisserie style league where you pick a starting lineup every week out of conference alums.Or hold a 4-team auction where you bid on conferences instead of players. Do you go all-in to snag the SEC, or would you rather save your money so you can pair the Big 10 and PAC 12? If you have weaknesses, you can shore them up with small conferences- bidding on the MAC nets you Romo and Roethlisberger, as well as Gates and Cribbs. You'd almost have to make it an IDP league. I'd imagine it'd be rather labor-intensive, too- you'd need almost an encyclopedic knowledge of players and alma maters so you could assess and address your roster shortcomings. You could snag steals on players like Vincent Jackson if the other guys don't realize he hails from the Big Sky conference, and you could throw out useless conferences just to see if you can get anyone else to bid them up.

'TobiasFunke said:
'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
ACC probably wins this league, although they're a little weak at RB:Matt RyanCJ SpillerFrank GoreCalvin JohnsonAndre JohnsonDemaryious Thomas/Reggie WayneJimmy GrahamWouldn't surprise me if the SEC was actually third or fourth. Definitely behind the Big 12, right?David Wilson and Hakeem Nicks come to mind. Can we claim Russell Wilson at QB too since he played all but one year in the ACC?

'TobiasFunke said:
'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
David Wilson and Hakeem Nicks come to mind. Can we claim Russell Wilson at QB too since he played all but one year in the ACC?Certainly would help, because I don't think Philip Rivers is gonna be too helpful as the backup from here on out.

'TobiasFunke said:
'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
David Wilson and Hakeem Nicks come to mind. Can we claim Russell Wilson at QB too since he played all but one year in the ACC?Certainly would help, because I don't think Philip Rivers is gonna be too helpful as the backup from here on out.ACC gets Lesean McCoy and Larry Fitzgerald effective this July. :)

'TobiasFunke said:
'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
David Wilson and Hakeem Nicks come to mind. Can we claim Russell Wilson at QB too since he played all but one year in the ACC?
Certainly would help, because I don't think Philip Rivers is gonna be too helpful as the backup from here on out.ACC gets Lesean McCoy and Larry Fitzgerald effective this July. :) You can argue that McCoy could/would be ACC because he had originally committed to Miami. ;-)

Here's some more fuel...The SEC has 24 members in the NFL Hall of Fame as a bonus they can use Texas A&M & Missouri.While the Big Ten has 51.Do you see how ridiculous this can be?

Here's some more fuel...The SEC has 24 members in the NFL Hall of Fame as a bonus they can use Texas A&M & Missouri.While the Big Ten has 51.Do you see how ridiculous this can be?
Ridiculous enough that you keep trying with this ignorant argument?

You realize there's like a 20 year lag between a player playing in college and that player making the HoF, right? I don't think any SEC proponents are arguing that the SEC was the greatest conference the nation had ever seen 20+ years ago, so I don't see how this is relevant. You might as well compare pre-1950 national championships by conference (spoilers: "Independent" is the greatest conference evar!!!!1!) and use that as a knock against people pointing out that the SEC is by far the most dominant conference of the BCS era.

You realize there's like a 20 year lag between a player playing in college and that player making the HoF, right? I don't think any SEC proponents are arguing that the SEC was the greatest conference the nation had ever seen 20+ years ago, so I don't see how this is relevant. You might as well compare pre-1950 national championships by conference (spoilers: "Independent" is the greatest conference evar!!!!1!) and use that as a knock against people pointing out that the SEC is by far the most dominant conference of the BCS era.Maybe the Deer Antler Spray is the reason? :excited:

Ridiculous enough that you keep trying with this ignorant argument?
Someone has to educate. :yes: Plenty have been educating you on this topic.Now step aside...the conversation got much better when we started talking fantasy rosters.

Another measure to consider is the recruiting rankings. There are several nationally recognized recruiting rankings beyond BSPN. And these show an obscene talent haul for the SEC relative to the rest of the NCAA, close to half the top 20/25 recruiting classes. If these rankings are reasonable, then it seems the SEC's dominance will continue for the foreseeable future.

Another measure to consider is the recruiting rankings. There are several nationally recognized recruiting rankings beyond BSPN. And these show an obscene talent haul for the SEC relative to the rest of the NCAA, close to half the top 20/25 recruiting classes. If these rankings are reasonable, then it seems the SEC's dominance will continue for the foreseeable future.
Recruiting rankings are based on who offers a kid. Which makes sense because there is no way Luginbill, Rivals, Scout or anyone else can evaluate thousands of kids and come up with accurate rankings at all.

Recruiting rankings are based on who offers a kid. Which makes sense because there is no way Luginbill, Rivals, Scout or anyone else can evaluate thousands of kids and come up with accurate rankings at all.And there are obvious holes in those recruiting rankings.Especially when talking about evaluating where the NFL talent came from.Ask guys like Aaron Rodgers who was not really recruited by any D1 schools.

Really most impressive is the state of Florida. Growing up I swore it was Texas that had a ton of players but now the mainly ACC/SEC combo of Florida schools looks the biggest.

Really most impressive is the state of Florida. Growing up I swore it was Texas that had a ton of players but now the mainly ACC/SEC combo of Florida schools looks the biggest.
Yup. Ever since the first Florida BCS game, athletes from Florida have put distance between themselves and the rest of the pack, including Texas.

I vaguely remember an SI piece on this trend a few years back, which was pretty interesting. IIRC, the story struggled to determine the bottom line reason for it being so. It would also be interesting to discuss why Louisiana is typically the per capita best producer of NFL talent. I have no idea and would enjoy hearing some theories.

Recruiting rankings are based on who offers a kid. Which makes sense because there is no way Luginbill, Rivals, Scout or anyone else can evaluate thousands of kids and come up with accurate rankings at all.Yup. Same thing in college basketball, where getting recruited by Kentucky or Duke automatically adds a star to your ranking.
Yup. Ever since the first Florida BCS game, athletes from Florida have put distance between themselves and the rest of the pack, including Texas.
Burt Reynolds (FSU) was a trendsetter.Don't forget The Rock.
I vaguely remember an SI piece on this trend a few years back, which was pretty interesting. IIRC, the story struggled to determine the bottom line reason for it being so. It would also be interesting to discuss why Louisiana is typically the per capita best producer of NFL talent. I have no idea and would enjoy hearing some theories.My theory: alligators. I don't know if it's a function of proxyimity of them, or if you actually have to eat them to get their magical powers, but it seems like there's a huge correlation between the presence of alligators and the quality of recruits. And, as the old saying goes, correlation is the same thing as causation.It also explains why, even within Florida, south Florida is an even bigger recruiting hotbed than north Florida. It's got proximity to the Everglades, and as everyone knows, the Everglades is chock full of alligators.

2008 recruiting class for Bamahttp://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1804409?articlePage=1
2008 Alabama signees:Mark BarronMark IngramJulio JonesBarrett JonesTerrence CodyMarcel DareusDon'ta HightowerCourtney UpshawSEC recruits in the most fertile recruiting ground with the most talent (Southeast). ACC can pluck some players too as a lot of the schools are also in the Southeast.

National Signing Day is tomorrow. But as of now, Rivals has the following for SEC schools:1 Bama2. Florida5. LSU7. Tex A&M10. UGA11. Ole Miss12. Auburn17. So. Car.19. Vandy23. Miss St.24. Tenn30. Kentucky33. Arkansas42. MissouriThe worst SEC school is 42nd overall. 7 of the top 12. 11 of the top 25. Unbelievable. Vandy is 19th in the country. And NINTH in the SEC.

Yup because the draft is the best to worst player right? So Brady is only a 6th rounder, Rodgers isn't even the best QB of his class, Foster shouldn't even be on a team.Your post is what is flawed. He is going for the NFL not rookie class.Interesting breakdown but not full list:http://247sports.com/Board/30/NFL-Starters-By-Conference-Position-12567725/1Also broken out from 2008 so little outdated:http://www.aolnews.com/2008/07/07/nfl-starters-by-college-conference-now-with-division/

SEC-Manning/Newton QBBCFosterRichardsonHarvinGreenJulioWitten/HernandezI think the SEC's WRs might match the ACCs, to be honest, and I'd prefer SECQB/Foster/Richardson to Ryan/Spiller/Gore. I think the ACC squad would be third behind the SEC and the Big12/10, provided Griffin is healthy (if he's not, and they're forced to go to Dalton/Bradford, all bets are off). PPR would move the ACC to 2nd. From a redraft perspective, it's close, but I'd prefer the SEC squad because of the questions at QB for the Big12/10. Peterson is obviously a huge advantage, but Foster mitigates him, Richardson and Charles are close, and the SEC has a big advantage at WR/TE. From a dynasty perspective, there's no question at all that I want the SEC squad. Outside of Arian Foster, every core player is 23 or 24. Handcuff Foster with Tate, add McFadden, Ingram, and Lacy for depth, and that team is set for a decade.
I'd take Cobb over Harvin right now.

Yup because the draft is the best to worst player right? So Brady is only a 6th rounder, Rodgers isn't even the best QB of his class, Foster shouldn't even be on a team.Your post is what is flawed. He is going for the NFL not rookie class.Interesting breakdown but not full list:http://247sports.com/Board/30/NFL-Starters-By-Conference-Position-12567725/1Also broken out from 2008 so little outdated:http://www.aolnews.com/2008/07/07/nfl-starters-by-college-conference-now-with-division/What are you talking about? I nor anyone else said the draft is a clear indicator of success. Looking at the draft is an easy way to see the players listed in a format that you can see their college team and thus conference. That is the point of looking at it.This premis is flawed and has been successfully owned several times in this thread.I have no idea what those links are supposed to show. One is from 2008 and the other I can't tell what year it is. Regardless, showing starters means nothing to the original post. He was talking about stars, not just starters.

Yup because the draft is the best to worst player right? So Brady is only a 6th rounder, Rodgers isn't even the best QB of his class, Foster shouldn't even be on a team.Your post is what is flawed. He is going for the NFL not rookie class.

Interesting breakdown but not full list:

http://247sports.com/Board/30/NFL-Starters-By-Conference-Position-12567725/1

Also broken out from 2008 so little outdated:

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/07/07/nfl-starters-by-college-conference-now-with-division/
What are you talking about? I nor anyone else said the draft is a clear indicator of success. Looking at the draft is an easy way to see the players listed in a format that you can see their college team and thus conference. That is the point of looking at it.This premis is flawed and has been successfully owned several times in this thread.

I have no idea what those links are supposed to show. One is from 2008 and the other I can't tell what year it is. Regardless, showing starters means nothing to the original post. He was talking about stars, not just starters.

Just running off of someone's post on the first page they showed about 1 in 5 pro bowl players is from the SEC... That is good in all but isn't there 6 AQ conferences in the NCAA? So that really isn't that much higher than a pure average of what you might suspect. Were not talking about 1 in 3Also your whole post was geared around checking the draft which in the end is completely flawed. What are we checking it for? Seeing what conference get chosen the highest in the draft... Well I was trying to say this is not the right direction to go at all. I put in the links to simply show starters because yet again averages being what they are more than likely if you have a higher percentage of starters you will have more All-Pros. SEC has more starters thus they have more All-Pros.

I am not saying the SEC is bad, they are the best conference in the NCAA and produce the most talent each year. Are they so clearly dominate that no other conference can create top level talent for the NFL? No and that was the point of the OP in my opinion. It wasn't about the SEC not producing talent (which they do) he was trying to say look at all the talent coming form elsewhere in the NCAA. Also I have yet to see a complete breakdown of every conference and "star quality" / "All-Pro quality" players by conference. Again breaking down a list where 1 in 5 players is from the SEC shows me they are the top conference but not dominate in my mind.

Third Party Source on all pro appearances:

http://www.rockmnation.com/2012/8/2/3216010/mythbusting-the-sec-a-follow-up

Users who are viewing this thread