What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which of these waiver wire Tight Ends has the most value? (1 Viewer)

Who would you want the most?

• Martellus Bennett, NYG

Votes: 73 41.5%
  • Dennis Pitta, BAL

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • Heath Miller, PIT

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Brandon Myers, OAK

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Scott Chandler, BUF

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Tony Moeaki, KC

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Tony Scheffler, DET

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
I dropped the highly touted Brent Celek for Pitta in a start two TE league, Gronkowski and Olsen are my other two.

Pitta looked great, but the presence of Dickson is worrisome.

ETA: Bennett is interesting. He always had Witten ahead of him. Now it's his show, and the middle of the field should always be wide open with Nicks and Cruz on the outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pitta looked great, but the presence of Dickson is worrisome.
I wonder about this myself. If the Ravens offense continues to look like it did on Monday then there might be enough targets to go around but color me somewhat skeptical about that. There are a lot of mouths to feed in that pass offense including Rice.

I like Bennett, then Pitta. The others I don't think too much of, though Heath Miller is an adequate #2 maybe.

Bennett shouldn't still be on anyone's waiver wires, but if he is he'd be the one to pick up. Pitta looked really good, better than I expected and I'm throwing in a claim for him as a backup TE in a league where he can be flexed in. We'll have to see if Pitta is just a mirage, but he's a good gamble this time of year.

The only other intruiging TE on the list is Chandler, who is going to see his share of targets get a healthy uptick now that Nelson is done for the year. People are assuming it will be Jones, but Fitz is going to lean on Chandler I think.

Myers, the Raiders TE is non-servicable in any format. Just don't.

I like Mercedes Lewis, if he is available. Of those listed, I like Martellus Bennett and Heath Miller slightly more than Pitta, only because of situation. The presence of Dickson worries me. I wonder if Pitta will disappear some weeks, and I need some consistency from my backup TE. Mind you, I am not suggesting we are guaranteed consistency from any of the FA TE's, but I wonder if Baltimore's passing offense can support two TE's.

Bennett was my first choice. I took a chance that he would clear waivers, but someone grabbed him. I settled for Pitta. I suspect Baltimore is trying to copy what New England has done with their TEs, so I expect Pitta to have more big games in the future, but he's my backup so I'm glad I don't have to start him every week.

I went Pitta here. Certainly Baltimore has a lot of options and Dickson also as a TE but they seem to be opening things up a bit and Pitta was the better stat producer over Dickson late last year.

I'm a bit wait-and-see on all these guys--will one of the Giants' or Ravens' other receivers step up, limiting the need for a lot of passes to the TE--but I would probably go Pitta, Bennett, Lewis, and not worry about the rest. Pitta and Dickson are just in a really good situation in Baltimore, with Boldin old, Jacoby Jones never that good in the first place, and Flacco stepping up. For TEs, I'm all about targets and athletic upside, so I'd be leaning Pitta.

Bennett had a nice first game. I think he's more of a "big end zone target" TE, while Pitta more resembles the all-over-the-field move/joker TE role that a guy like peak-of-Peyton's-powers Dallas Clark or Aaron Hernandez inhabits.

I always like what I see out of Heath Miller, but he's an excellent in-line blocker and often stays in to help the ever-suffering Steelers OL. I was surprised to see him get as much play as a receiver as he did on Sunday night. A little too up-and-down for fantasy rosters, unless we start to see him really stepping up as the #3 receiving option (I don't think that happens, as a healthy Emmanuel Sanders is quite a talent and should be good for 45 or so grabs this year).

Bennett really? Don't see it. He'll be a TE2 all year with only slight upside.

Pitta can potentially be a top 5 TE if he keeps getting that many targets in a passing offense.

I voted Pitta, but I also liked him better than the rest of these guys prior to the season.
I had a placeholder spot for "Ravens TE" grouped in a tier with Rudolph, Celek, etc. I just had no idea which one would be the standout. We still might not, but for week 1 pickups I don't see a reason to hesitate.

Pitta did appear to be best buds with Flacco on the sidelines. Having the ear of the QB can't be a bad thing for Pitta. I did sense some Romo/Witten kind of vibe going on there.

The Bengals always suck against TE's, i dont expect Pitta to put up those type of numbers week in and week out, but i do think he is the best option of those TE's on that list.

I watched the preseason action for the Bills and observed what they did when Nelson was out (injury). Chandler seemed to play much more than usual. I think Chandler get some of Nelson's action in the slot.

I think he provides great value.

Dont forget backup tightend with the Texans.... Garret Graham.....guy gas Jimmy Graham like potential....with an injury prone tightend in Owen Daniels

Last edited by a moderator:
Dodds has the first three guys in the poll (and Chandler) all ranked right next to each other in the 250/forward.

Might as well throw a dart. <_<

Article on Pitta:

September 11, 2012 | By Kevin Cowherd | The Baltimore Sun

I had the binoculars – Bushnell cheapies borrowed from a colleague, but times are tough all over -- on tight end Dennis Pitta in the Ravens’ 44-13 blow-out of the Bengalson Monday night.

Pitta is like that guy you played high school ball with who dominated the stat sheet week after week while everyone else on the team wondered: how the hell does he do it?

He’s not particularly fast. He’s big at 6-4 and 245 pounds, but not dinosaur-big, not Rob Gronkowski- big. He’s totally unassuming. But somehow he finds a way to shine, which is what he did against a Cincinnati defense ranked No. 7 in 2011.

Joe Flacco absolutely loves Pitta. Loves throwing to him, too. Flacco threw his way nine times against the Bengals and Pitta caught five passes for 73 yards (a career high) and a touchdown.

Say what you want about team chemistry – I happen to think it’s vastly overrated; good players can hate each other and still play great. But Flacco and Pitta definitely are on the same wave-length.

They’re great friends, for one thing. Flacco totally trusts him as a receiver. And they share a similar emotional balance. They might celebrate big plays with a quick whoop and a fist-pump. But seconds later, they’re back to having the demeanor of a tax auditor.

But the main thing you saw from Pitta, the part of his game that’s so strong, is this: he finds a way to get open.

He’s one of those receivers who instinctively knows how to find a seam in the defense. And when he finds it, he settles in – seemingly unnoticed at times – while Flacco goes through his progressions until he spots him.

That part about settling into a seam unnoticed will probably end soon. If he has any more nights like Monday’s, opposing teams will quickly start paying attention to him and game-planning for him even more than they do now.

But if he stays healthy – and it looks as if his surgically repaired hand is OK now – he could have a huge role in the Ravens’ offense this season. He’s that good at getting open.

The two buddies, Flacco and Pitta, sure got off to a great start against the Bengals. It was fun to watch a quarterback and tight end so perfectly in sync.

Although it definitely wasn’t much fun for the Bengals.
Article on Bennett (posted before opening night):
The Giants are certainly hoping Bennett realizes his massive potential with Eli Manning. The former basketball player has long been known for having a personality bigger than his 6-foot-6, 265-pound frame, which he has likened to "Atlas" in the preseason.

Bennett is engaging and funny and can talk about any topic. But he wants to be known for more than being the tall and hilarious guy in the locker room.

On Saturday, Bennett was talking about his relationship with Manning and how developing a special rapport with his new quarterback has been like courting a girl.

Bennett says he texts back and forth with Manning quite a bit and if he sees Manning eating in the cafeteria, he will pull up a chair to sit next to the quarterback to even sometimes talk about "life."

"Sometimes I just text him to say, 'Hey, I am happy to be your teammate,'" Bennett said. "I know some guys get text messages from me, and they say like, what the hell is he doing? It's like six o'clock in the morning and he is texting me saying, 'Hey, what's up?'

"I want [Manning] to be able to read my mind and my body language," Bennett added. "It's like having a new girlfriend. You want to go to dinner dates to get to know her better and have a good conversation with her."

Bennett credited his mentor, Witten, with teaching him the benefit of having a strong relationship with the quarterback, among other things.

"Witten is [Romo's] best friend, so I learned something from that relationship and I'll try to be this guy's [Manning] best friend," Bennett said. "The tight end should always be the quarterback's best friend."

Another thing Bennett said he learned from Witten was playing and practicing through pain. Witten's status for Wednesday is up in the air due to a lacerated spleen, although the tight end was able to participate in some of Saturday's practice.

"Witten is a guy who never missed a game or a practice when I was there," Bennett said. "So the day I'm not there he's [possibly] out for the first game, which is very ironic. [but] I wouldn't be surprised if he picked his spleen up and held it in his hand to try to run routes. He's a warrior.

"There are some things that he has in his game that I have in me, that are built in me," Bennett continued. "I don't ever want to miss games, I don't want to miss practice. I think all the guys see that in me and I learned it from Witten."

Bennett, 25, is eager to show what he can do out of Witten's shadow. He has never had more than 33 catches in a season, which came during 2010 when he started 11 games. He has scored four touchdowns in his career, but all came during his rookie season in 2008.

The Giants made Bennett a priority during free agency after Jake Ballard and Travis Beckum suffered torn ACL injuries during the Super Bowl. Manning does see potential for Bennett to do things in the Giants' offense.

"The tight end is capable of getting a lot of balls in this offense, and catching a lot of things," Manning said. "We pretty much have a tight end in on every set we have. If the defense is trying to take away Hakeem [Nicks] and Victor [Cruz], tight ends should have a lot of one-on-one matches on a linebacker.

"We're just looking for mismatches," Manning continued. "He's probably more athletic than some of the tight ends we've had getting in and out of breaks. He should be able to have some catches. I don't know how many he'll have."

For me it is a tossup between Pitta and Moeaki - with a nod to Pitta based on the new look Ravens offense...when teams key on Rice that will leave a ton of passes to Pitta. This is the year of the TE so really anyone of those listed will have some value.

I love what I saw from the Ravens new offense so my pick would be Pitta. The only thing that could hold him back from having a nice season is if Dickson gets more targets and eat into each other's production like last season. I do believe that Pitta is the better talent and he did emerge a bit down the stretch last season. Definitely worth an add to see if he continues to get a decent amount of targets.

Users who are viewing this thread