What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which TE has the best chance to unseat Gates? (1 Viewer)

Pick one...then explain why you chose him

• Vernon Davis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ben Watson

• Tony Gonzalez

• Todd Heap

• Alge Crumpler

• Chris Cooley

• Heath Miller

• L J Smith

• Jason Witten

• Kellen Winslow Jr.

• Jeremy Shockey

• Greg Olsen

• Tony Scheffler

• Randy McMichael

• Other (please post who it is)

• Total voters

BLOX

Footballguy
I believe that Gates is a huge difference maker in TE req'd fantasy leagues. Eventually, he'll have to hit a bump and move down from the top spot.

For 2007, which TE will be the most likely to take over the #1 TE spot (remember, we are assuming that this happens)

:thumbup:

I think the only way that Antonio Gates isn't the #1 TE in 2007 is if either he or Philip Rivers get hurt. Now assuming that happens I think Chris Cooley could take over the top spot. His production in 2006 was up there with the other top tight ends but he had less opportunities than those other guys. He think also led all tight ends in YAC (yards after catch) last season so he's shown that when he has the ball in his hands he can do a lot with it.

With the (hopefully) continued development of Jason Campbell and more experience in the Redskins offense I think Chris Cooley has nowhere to go but up. Maybe not to #1 over Antonio Gates but he'll be up there. He's just a really good player.

Chris Cooley, WTF? Yeah, I'm sure Jason Campbell is capable of making Cooley a top TE. I can 100% guarantee you that Cooley will not finish top 6.

Alge Crumpler.

Top 5 for several years, #2 last year in FBG scoring (no PPR), and the #1 target in ATL.

With Petrino wanting Vick's completion %age to increase, I look for more action for Alge and hopefully a few less dropped passes, especially in the end zone.

I've been Gates' biggest supporter on these boards, and my love for him goes beyond that of a healthy level. That being said, it is statistically impossible for any TE to oustcore Gates in any scoring format in 2007. Last season's performance saw Gates cross over from being considered the best TE of all time, to being considered as the best football player of all time....which he arguably is.

Chris Cooley, WTF? Yeah, I'm sure Jason Campbell is capable of making Cooley a top TE. I can 100% guarantee you that Cooley will not finish top 6.
Chris Cooley has ranked 4th and 5th at his position the last 2 seasons. Jason Campbell doesn't have to make him a top tight end because that's already the case. The question is can he make him the #1 tight end. I don't question Cooley's ability in the slightest to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Cooley has ranked and 4th and 5th at his position the last 2 seasons. Jason Campbell doesn't have to make him a top tight end because that's already the case. The question is can he make him the #1 tight end. I don't question Cooley's ability in the slightest to do so.
Be that it may, I guarantee Cooley will not finish in the top 6 this year and if he does I will cease to play fantasy football.

Chris Cooley has ranked and 4th and 5th at his position the last 2 seasons. Jason Campbell doesn't have to make him a top tight end because that's already the case. The question is can he make him the #1 tight end. I don't question Cooley's ability in the slightest to do so.
Be that it may, I guarantee Cooley will not finish in the top 6 this year and if he does I will cease to play fantasy football.
I hope you're eyeing other hobbies. Campbell has already shown some solid chemistry with Cooley as a safety valve.

I've been Gates' biggest supporter on these boards, and my love for him goes beyond that of a healthy level. That being said, it is statistically impossible for any TE to oustcore Gates in any scoring format in 2007. Last season's performance saw Gates cross over from being considered the best TE of all time, to being considered as the best football player of all time....which he arguably is.
It goes way beyond that of a healthy level. "Statistically impossible?" PUHLEESE!And by the way, I'm a pretty big Gates booster myself. But last year saw his numbers dip across the board.

I like Shockey lots this year ... Eli has looked more and more like a frightened rabbit as a QB with each passing season and now the loss of Tiki is just one more burden to bare .... with his bad mechanics and Coughlin's need to win or look for work situation I think the Giants will do their utmost to put the ball in proven playmakers hands early and often; shorter routes, lots of 3 step drops and quick releases ... the biggest worry I have with Shockey is surprise, surprise his health ... he's a constant injury waiting to happen kind of player ... but when he's got his head on straight and whether or not he's wearing his helmet he's a definate player ...

That said I honestly don't believe anyone will be knocking Gates off the top TE perch for a few years to come

:thumbup:

Tony G is the only one with a realistic chance. He is usually always TE2 and can match gates if KC's QB can throw some TD's. TG could easily go for 80 receptions, 850-950 yards and 6-9 TD's.

this is GREAT denver, i think i have a couple openings in my fantasy baseball league, and you'll have all the time in the world now to build a team(Cooley will finish #2 this year)

It goes way beyond that of a healthy level. "Statistically impossible?" PUHLEESE!
don't take the bait, it's HK's tired old schtick.The clear choice is the guy that led all TEs in receptions last year.

DenverBroncos said:
The Man with the Plan said:
DenverBroncos said:
you should have a thread dedicated to all these "guarantees" that you make.I get the impression you haven't been playing FF or watching football very long as virtually NOTHING is guaranteed... yet you throw the term around as if it was "baring injury".

you might be the 2nd person i put on ignore.

If anyone can unseat Antonio Gates, then I believe it will be Heath Miller. The Steeler's know he is a "jewel" in disguise and Big Ben will use him exclusively in the Red Zone this year. Look for Miller to score 10-12 TD's and have 75 catches for 900 yards!

If anyone can unseat Antonio Gates, then I believe it will be Heath Miller. The Steeler's know he is a "jewel" in disguise and Big Ben will use him exclusively in the Red Zone this year. Look for Miller to score 10-12 TD's and have 75 catches for 900 yards!
:hophead:They drafted Spaeth and he's 6'7". If they're going to be using TEs as a redzone target, this guy will dilute Miller's numbers. Keep in mind Miller has never caught 40 balls, never had 500 yards rec, and never had more than 6 TDs. I'd say 50-650-7 would be optimistic #s for Miller, and I don't even think he'll be that high.

I picked Ben Watson...because he's on ALL of my teams.

The real answer is none of the above. Gates far and away.

I think Kellen Winslow will implant himself as the #1 reciever in Clevland. Look for him to have a HUGE year this year. Won't be #1 but definitely top 3.

Funny I can't find the player I want to vote for

NO-BAH-DEE

And in reply to the post that his #s were down across the board....Marty kept the ball on the ground for the first quarter of the season. Norv Turner's got the reigns now & I'll bet Gates is bringing 1,100 & 10 TDs to the table this year.

I've plucked him in the 4th 2 years in a row & plan on doing it again this year defending my championship. He's just plain better than all the others. Gonzolez is aging, Winslow is fragile, Vernon Davis is still learning & until Shockey drops the ego trip to work with Eli more he'll never make the leap.

The only one in his stratosphere is Heap. If Billick is back calling the plays this year he'll be TE2 but he won't touch Gates.

Hmm.... Crumpler gets no respect. I guess that's why I can always seem to draft him.

FBG Rankings:

2002 - 8th

2003 - 5th

2004 - 4th

2005 - 5th

2006 - 2nd

Yep, no chance here. :thumbup:

Keep in mind Miller has never caught 40 balls, never had 500 yards rec, and never had more than 6 TDs.
AhrnCityPahnder,I'd say you are pessimist and that you are living in the Cowher era; where the TE was essentially a 6th blocker and that is all. The Steelers are a new team with one of the finest young QB's in the league. Your assessment of his season totals is correct, but you neglect to mention for instance that Miller had a 4 game stretch where he had the following totals.22 targets17 receptions184 yards5 tdsFor a season, this would mean88 targets68 receptions736 yards20 tdsI backed off of the TD's and gave Heath a few more receptions to come up with my projections. I may be too optimistic, but I believe in Ben and Heath and I think they could work some magic in their new system.Also, I don't believe any of the other TE's have both the situation and the ability to push for TE #1 and to unseat Antonio Gates.

Sure but he also had this 4 game stretch to close out last year:

5 catches, 37 yards, 1 TD

I know he's got the talent to put together a year like you forecast. I just don't believe they're going to employ a system that will allow it.

We'll see.

I voted Winslow because he honestly has the skill set necessary to do it.

He just has to stay healthy, not be a moron and the Browns have to be decent.........

:mellow:

Maybe I should've voted for somebody else.

Keep in mind Miller has never caught 40 balls, never had 500 yards rec, and never had more than 6 TDs.
AhrnCityPahnder,I'd say you are pessimist and that you are living in the Cowher era; where the TE was essentially a 6th blocker and that is all. The Steelers are a new team with one of the finest young QB's in the league. Your assessment of his season totals is correct, but you neglect to mention for instance that Miller had a 4 game stretch where he had the following totals.22 targets17 receptions184 yards5 tdsFor a season, this would mean88 targets68 receptions736 yards20 tdsI backed off of the TD's and gave Heath a few more receptions to come up with my projections. I may be too optimistic, but I believe in Ben and Heath and I think they could work some magic in their new system.Also, I don't believe any of the other TE's have both the situation and the ability to push for TE #1 and to unseat Antonio Gates.
Heath also had two 1-game stretches in weeks 14 and 17 where he went:0 catches0 yards0 TD'sFor a season, this would mean:0 catches0 yards0 TD's

Mapmaker said:
I like Shockey lots this year ... Eli has looked more and more like a frightened rabbit as a QB with each passing season and now the loss of Tiki is just one more burden to bare .... with his bad mechanics and Coughlin's need to win or look for work situation I think the Giants will do their utmost to put the ball in proven playmakers hands early and often; shorter routes, lots of 3 step drops and quick releases ... the biggest worry I have with Shockey is surprise, surprise his health ... he's a constant injury waiting to happen kind of player ... but when he's got his head on straight and whether or not he's wearing his helmet he's a definate player ...
I agree with this. I think Vernon Davis is more atheltic and will have a few bigger individual games, but I think Shockey is in situation where he will have more chances to produce big FF stats over the course of the entire season.

H.K. said:

H.K. said:
You have to know the back-story to appreciate the post.

I'm a little bit surprised by the love for Vernon Davis. I do think that his upside is quite high, I just don't think that he is likely to improve that dramatically (statistically) in 07, with DJax now in SF and Norv Turner no longer there to continue to aid Alex Smith's development. I see each of these as decent reasons to temper expectations for V. Davis in 07.

DenverBroncos said:
The Man with the Plan said:
DenverBroncos said:
Good luck with Fantasy BASEBALL next year. Cooley was the 2nd highest scoring TE behind Gates last year during the last 6 weeks of the season (when Campbell was the starting QB I might add) Don't late your hate for the Skins because we dominated your Donkeys in the SB cloud your judgment here.

cscmtp said:
Good luck with Fantasy BASEBALL next year. Cooley was the 2nd highest scoring TE behind Gates last year during the last 6 weeks of the season (when Campbell was the starting QB I might add) Don't late your hate for the Skins because we dominated your Donkeys in the SB cloud your judgment here.
I'm going to say Jason Witten: he's avg'd 72 catches and 830 yards in each of the past 3 seasons. those are GREAT numbers..yes, his TD totals were LOW ( 1 td) last season, and have been low up to this point in his brief NFL career, but he's just two years removed from 87/980/6..with a new OC looking to move the TE down the field more than in past years, and Fasano taking over the F/t blocking TE role, Witten is primed for what could be his best season as a pro.

Good bump. Witten is an excellent TE, but the real surprise has been Romo. I had him on two fantasy squads and had no clue he was going to play like this this year (yesterday notwithstanding).

# 5 in all of my leagues. Buh-bye.

:wall:

I'm going to say Jason Witten: he's avg'd 72 catches and 830 yards in each of the past 3 seasons. those are GREAT numbers..yes, his TD totals were LOW ( 1 td) last season, and have been low up to this point in his brief NFL career, but he's just two years removed from 87/980/6..with a new OC looking to move the TE down the field more than in past years, and Fasano taking over the F/t blocking TE role, Witten is primed for what could be his best season as a pro.
:bow:

The loss of Terry Glenn made a big difference for Witten, IMO. I had voted for Winslow in this pole originally, but I'm glad I ended up with Witten on my roster. Once I saw that Glenn went down at the beginning of the season, I made a move for Witten and it has gotten me to the championship thanks to his performance these last 2 weeks.

I have been enjoying Witten's production all season, but it wasn't until I saw this thread pop up that I actually took a step back and looked at his numbers for the year. 88/1068/7 with two games to go is incredible.

Even though Gates isn't currently the #1 TE, this thread just underscores his value. Some people will say "Why draft Gates when you can get the same production 8 rounds later out of Witten"... but Witten was TWELFTH in voting prior to the bump. That means that 11 people who were trying to get the same production 8 rounds later went home very disappointed. In the end, you get what you pay for. With Gates, you paid for a sure thing, and you got it- despite only being the #2 TE, he's still 13th in total VBD. I'm very glad to be a Gates owner this year in the leagues that I have him, even if he did lay an egg in the playoffs.

Even though Gates isn't currently the #1 TE, this thread just underscores his value. Some people will say "Why draft Gates when you can get the same production 8 rounds later out of Witten"... but Witten was TWELFTH in voting prior to the bump. That means that 11 people who were trying to get the same production 8 rounds later went home very disappointed. In the end, you get what you pay for. With Gates, you paid for a sure thing, and you got it- despite only being the #2 TE, he's still 13th in total VBD. I'm very glad to be a Gates owner this year in the leagues that I have him, even if he did lay an egg in the playoffs.
Yeah, I had Witten, and he was a stud all year for me, but I wonder if I wasn't a benificiary of Glenn's injury.Great point about the uncertainty before the season. If I had known Witten was actually gonna do what he did, I woulda pounced before the 10 round. Next year, he won't last that long. Will he be worth the draft spot? Who knows, but Gates will go in teh same spot, and be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread