What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which top 4 RB do you think has best chance to bust (1 Viewer)

crazylegs1

Footballguy
I know injuries are impossible to predict, but honestly I am taking a risk averse strategy this year in my draft. So, strictly based on workload both overall and last year, in what order, from most likely to least likely, would you list this years top 4 backs (C, Johnson, A. Peterson, R. Rice and MJD) as risks to bust due to injury?

I would say Jones Drew.. the mileage is piling up. And I'm almost positive RB1-4 have never actually finished that way. Someone is dropping out...

I would say Jones Drew.. the mileage is piling up. And I'm almost positive RB1-4 have never actually finished that way. Someone is dropping out...
If Jones-Drew falls I doubt it will have anything to do with mileage and everything to do with supporting cast.

If Jones-Drew falls I doubt it will have anything to do with mileage and everything to do with supporting cast.
Nevertheless, I think he's the riskiest of the top 4. In fact, I'd take Gore over him this year.

The mileage is piling up? The guy is 25 and last year was the first season he's had more than 200 carries.If you are going STRICTLY on workload from last season or overall then the answers are easy. CJ2K had the biggest workload last year and ADP has the biggest workload overall. But I think that is a silly and arbitrary thing to use.All 4 are young guys with relatively low mileage. Of course they likely won't finish top 4 because something crazy always happens. But barring significant injury I think all 4 will finish top 10 and will not "bust."

I'd say CJ, going soley on what you're asking, but I don't think he'll be a bust and it's too hard to predict injury. I pick CJ because he saw such a large amount of touches last year, is on the small side and that's the 1st time he carried such a load in the NFL. Maybe it catches up to him this year?

MJD may have worn down a little last year, but I don't see him as an injury risk. He's young enough IMO to handle a few more 350 touch seasons.

I think AP has show he can carry a big load of touches, and is still young enough to do so.

Rice's touches will be limited, if need be, by McGahee, so I see no injury risk with him, but do feel his upside is more limited then the others as long as McGahee is around.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mileage is piling up? The guy is 25 and last year was the first season he's had more than 200 carries.If you are going STRICTLY on workload from last season or overall then the answers are easy. CJ2K had the biggest workload last year and ADP has the biggest workload overall. But I think that is a silly and arbitrary thing to use.All 4 are young guys with relatively low mileage. Of course they likely won't finish top 4 because something crazy always happens. But barring significant injury I think all 4 will finish top 10 and will not "bust."
I should clarify that he's got the most mileage of all these guys. Piling up was probably a bit much..

I should clarify that he's got the most mileage of all these guys. Piling up was probably a bit much..
Well, he has the most touches of all 4 guys because he has been in the league longer. But he has less carries than Peterson which is the most important factor when looking at mileage on a RB b/c receptions don't take the same toll on the body.He has averaged less touches per season than CJ and ADP. And though he has been in the league a year longer he is actually 2 days Younger than ADP. Again, I think determining who is gonna bust from this group based strictly on workload is kind of pointless. We are talking about a group of RBs who are 25 and younger and none of whom have more than 2- 300 carry seasons on them.

MJD seemed to wear down at the end of last year. Does that happen even sooner this year or does Jax reduce his load with Karim or Jennings? Either way I think the answer is Jones-Drew.

does Johnson's 243 touches over the last eight games of the season worry anyone?
Not me. If he were an older guy or had a different running style then it probably would. But he's going into his 3rd year and despite the high volume of touches he doesn't seem to take many big or direct hits. Plus the fact that he didn't play in the post season gave him a few additional weeks of rest. Not to mention I think he held out of most of the off season stuff. Injuries can happen to anyone at anytime. It's football. But none of these 4 guys worry me from a "workload" standpoint. If one did then it would probably be ADP who has averaged the most carries over his 3 years in the league, has some injury history from college, and is the most physical runner of the 4. But again, I am not concerned about any of these guys based on workload or mileage.

This is a fresh new crop of stud RBs in FF and barring injury, that again can happen to any football player at any time, they each should have another 2-3 years or more of FF stud status.

does Johnson's 243 touches over the last eight games of the season worry anyone?
This is more what I was thinking when I asked the question. I realize it is entirely possible none of them get injured, but Johnson does concern me due to the incredible number of touches he had last year. MJD as well as he has never carried this large a load before.

What this thread has taught me is that none of these guys are bullet-proof. Every year we have this debate about the top guys and every year one of the group gets massively hurt, another fails to live to expectations and 1-2 (depending on how many are there), fall in the range we thought they would.

Going into '09: Turner, ADP and Forte were the hot guys...ADP lived up to expectations, Turner got hurt (for some time) and Forte failed to reach his potential

I could go back many years, but as other have alluded to (or mentioned), they ALL are not going to finish top 4 and truth be told, even excluding injury, chances are one will slip up.

I am a Rice owner, but I don't like the direction the Ravens are going. It has nothing to do with them opening up the passing game (in fact, I think he will be fresher and put up similar numbers due to that); what has me nervous is that their secondary is poor at best...without Reed starting right away and the corner (name is escpaing me now) out for the year, I don't care how deep they are in the front seven, they are going to get exposed and Baltimore will be playing from behind more than they have at any point over the past decade.

Chris Johnson's touches over the last 8 games also worries me (thanks for the info Wheelhouse). I was concerned about the 2k yards, but being that he was so young when he did it, we are kind of in uncharted territory to evalute him on that stat alone...the overall touches we do have data on and I am sure it is not pretty.

What is considered a bust here? A massive fall or not finishing top 4.

I think CJ or Rice have the biggest opportunity to fall the furthest but feel that MJD is the most likely to fall out of the top 4 (just not as far, maybe #6 or #7).

yes..I think that ,and the the stats of 2k yard-RB's in season N+1 means 'proceed with caution' in regards to CJ..I just have a feeling that he's going to bust relative to his ADP..remember, Kordell had a good year or two,then fizzled. but Kordell >>>> VY...we're ready to see VY implode any day now...you know teams will find ways to stop CJ (or limit him) and put pressure on VY to win games with his arm..I'm not so sure he can.:useless:if you want guaranteed return on investment, select Michael Turner, Ray Rice, ADP..if you want to swing for the fences, select CJ

I was thinking about this the other day. All four of these guys are great and legitimate bets to finish in the top 4 again this year, so I think its really a gut call. In a weird way, I think MJD is the LEAST likely to finish #1 overall in this group but the MOST likely to remain in the top 4. I know that sounds weird, but I guess I view the other guys as having more upside, but also more of a chance of regressing from last years numbers.

I think MJD is rock solid with the fewest number of questions. I don't think he'll ever be the #1 fantasy player because of his offense, but I think a top 5 finish is in the bank. The other 3 have questions in my opinion. Peterson had 14 TDs from inside the 5 yard line last year. Could it happen again? Sure, but it could also regress a bit. CJ is good enough to repeat his 2000 yard season, but that seems like a tall task. Can Rice catch the ball 80 times again? Ya, but Boldin might eat into that a little. I think all of these guys have higher upside that MJD, but I think MJD's floor is what you saw last year.

This is more what I was thinking when I asked the question. I realize it is entirely possible none of them get injured, but Johnson does concern me due to the incredible number of touches he had last year. MJD as well as he has never carried this large a load before.
1. I got the feeling that you were fishing a bit and going in this direction. I kind of knew that you were posting mostly about Chris Johnson.2. Jeff, I think he was able to get some rest since then. :goodposting:3. Is there any definite proof that lots of carries one year = injury the next. My guess that any data supporting this would be coincidence and from a super small sample size.

I am a Rice owner, but I don't like the direction the Ravens are going. It has nothing to do with them opening up the passing game (in fact, I think he will be fresher and put up similar numbers due to that); what has me nervous is that their secondary is poor at best...without Reed starting right away and the corner (name is escpaing me now) out for the year, I don't care how deep they are in the front seven, they are going to get exposed and Baltimore will be playing from behind more than they have at any point over the past decade.
In PPR leagues this isn't bad for Ray Rice owners. This means they will need to score to keep up. Instead of keeping Rice fresh running McGahee in the 4th when they are up, Rice will be asked to be in the game because of his versatility in the passing game and still be a threat on the ground.

2. Jeff, I think he was able to get some rest since then. ;)
:lmao: The high number of carries would worry me if a guy of CJ's size was plowing into defenders like Peterson has a habit of doing. But CJ tends to run around them instead. He doesn't have to repeat a 2,000 yard season. He has a lot of room for his numbers to go down and still be a Top 5 back and a safe pick. And while Vince Young will never be as good as even Steve McNair, he's enough of a run threat to boost CJ's effectiveness when he's on the field.

1. I got the feeling that you were fishing a bit and going in this direction. I kind of knew that you were posting mostly about Chris Johnson.2. Jeff, I think he was able to get some rest since then. :banned:

3. Is there any definite proof that lots of carries one year = injury the next. My guess that any data supporting this would be coincidence and from a super small sample size.
Chris Johnson had the 7th most carries over games 9-16 since the league went to a 16 game schedule. 23 other backs have had at least 200 carries over the final 8 games of a regular season.Here are there averages the next year:

GP = 12.2

YPC = 3.96 (compared to 4.47 in previous year)

Fantasy Top 5 finishes the next season: 4 out of 23

Season Ending Injuries Before game 3 = 3 (Jamal Lewis 2001, Jamal Anderson 1999 and Fred Taylor 2001)

Now, it's just 23 players. Those numbers are below average in terms of GP for a starting back and YPC. I wrote about it originally 3 years ago, when we had game data only to 1995: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=330

That Season Ending Injury Rate is higher than average also (about 5% of all starting backs from previous year suffer season ending injury in first 6 weeks). Now, he did not get extended in the playoffs, which probably didn't help Anderson and Lewis as they continued with high workloads to the Super Bowl.

Is he an above average risk to get hurt early? Maybe, but we are talking about the difference between a 10% chance and a 5% chance for anyone else. Will his ypc come down, likely due to regression to mean, yes. Is he still the #1 pick even if you think he has a 10% chance of injury versus 5% for Ray Rice, yes.

2. Jeff, I think he was able to get some rest since then. :shrug:
:confused: The high number of carries would worry me if a guy of CJ's size was plowing into defenders like Peterson has a habit of doing. But CJ tends to run around them instead. He doesn't have to repeat a 2,000 yard season. He has a lot of room for his numbers to go down and still be a Top 5 back and a safe pick. And while Vince Young will never be as good as even Steve McNair, he's enough of a run threat to boost CJ's effectiveness when he's on the field.
I'm not sure I follow this logic. Because VY isn't a great passer, but is a threat to run with the ball, he boosts Johnson's effectiveness? How so?

It is closer than you probably think:Maurice Jones-Drew:842 carries over 4 seasons: 210.5 avg/season201 receptions over 4 seasons: 50.25 avg/season1043 touches over 4 seasons: 260.75 avg/seasonAdrian Peterson:915 carries over 3 seasons: 305 avg/season83 receptions over 3 seasons: 27.67 avg/season998 touches over 3 seasons: 332.67 avg/seasonOnly 45 more touches than ADP in one more season, or approximately 2 games worth. If you want to go on wear & tear, I would say that ADP has more built up wear over the past 3 seasons than MJD has in the past 4. Not to mention, his smaller, more compact frame more likely absorbs hits better than ADPs larger frame.

Best chance to bust, based on workload? I'd have to say Chris Johnson.

Not that I think he will 'bust', but I can't see him repeating those numbers. That's a ton of carries, and there is something to exceeding that 370 number ( not saying it's gospel, but it is frighteningly consistent).

Overall, of the top 4, the one I'm least confident in is Rice. So I'd have to say he'd be my pick as biggest chance to 'bust'.

Peterson and MJD had been TD machines over the last 3-4 years ( MJD 54 TD's in 63 career games; Peterson has 41 TD's in 46 games) Even if they have mediocre seasons in yards and ypc, they both seem to be a good bet to get 12 td, with significant chance for more. Hard to be a bust, fantasy-wise, with all those td's.

I'm not sure I follow this logic. Because VY isn't a great passer, but is a threat to run with the ball, he boosts Johnson's effectiveness? How so?
More threats = more for defenses to worry about. That's generally what I meant.
I cant see this having a huge effect. Most of the time when VY runs, the play was called as a pass play. so once it gets to that point where he runs the ball, he is not taking away from the carries of any RB on the team.I can see them running maybe one play every second game(on average) where VY runs the ball on a designed play to take advantage of his running abilities, but I cannot see this drastically cutting into CJ's productivity in any huge way.

Not that I think he will 'bust', but I can't see him repeating those numbers. That's a ton of carries, and there is something to exceeding that 370 number ( not saying it's gospel, but it is frighteningly consistent).
It's not frighteningly consistent, it's intellectually dishonest (or at least, the "studies" which have shown 370 is some kind of magic number are). There is no sane reason to believe that it's just fine to have 368 or 369 carries, but if you hit 370 you're toast. But if you include backs who had 368+ carries in the analysis, the results go completely out the window. The guys who did the study knew that, so they're basically lying to you.I don't think there's any physical reason to believe that physical activity done eight months ago is likely to lead to injury after an eight month break.

CalBear said:
Sgt_Russia said:
It's not frighteningly consistent, it's intellectually dishonest (or at least, the "studies" which have shown 370 is some kind of magic number are). There is no sane reason to believe that it's just fine to have 368 or 369 carries, but if you hit 370 you're toast. But if you include backs who had 368+ carries in the analysis, the results go completely out the window. The guys who did the study knew that, so they're basically lying to you.I don't think there's any physical reason to believe that physical activity done eight months ago is likely to lead to injury after an eight month break.
If you subscribe to this thinking, then there's also no physical reason to believe that a back over 30 y/o should suffer any loss of performance. Afterall, they get an 8 month break after each season and 30 is just an arbitrary number.Workload has an effect on these guys. Period.

If you subscribe to this thinking, then there's also no physical reason to believe that a back over 30 y/o should suffer any loss of performance. Afterall, they get an 8 month break after each season and 30 is just an arbitrary number.
That doesn't follow at all. It is not exactly news that human bodies experience physiological changes as they get older.
Workload has an effect on these guys. Period.
If you believe this, you should be heartened to know that the "Magic 370" study would suggest that Chris Johnson is just fine, since he only got 358 carries. (Of course this is nonsense; 12 more carries wouldn't have made a difference, any more than 2 more carries would have made a difference to Earl Campbell in 1979).

These guys are all so proven that it is very difficult to predict a "bust" due to poor performance.

Therefore, in terms of bust due to injury risk, I would take a slightly different tack and look at their backups. Then I'd ask the question, if I get one of the Top 4 and they get injured, whose backup am I most comfortable stepping into their shoes?

From this viewpoint, I would rank them as follows (from most "bust-proof" to least):

1. Rice (McGahee would fill in nicely)

2. CJ (Ringer has talent)

3. MJD (Jennings seems to also have the goods)

4. ADP (don't think Gerhardt could quite pick up the slack and the OL is not the Jets)

If you subscribe to this thinking, then there's also no physical reason to believe that a back over 30 y/o should suffer any loss of performance. Afterall, they get an 8 month break after each season and 30 is just an arbitrary number.
That doesn't follow at all. It is not exactly news that human bodies experience physiological changes as they get older.
If you believe this, you should be heartened to know that the "Magic 370" study would suggest that Chris Johnson is just fine, since he only got 358 carries. (Of course this is nonsense; 12 more carries wouldn't have made a difference, any more than 2 more carries would have made a difference to Earl Campbell in 1979).
Actually, the formula is carries plus receptions divided by 2. So Johnson's # is 383. If you don't put any stock into that number, that's fine. I choose to do so.And the changes the human body goes through between the age of 25 and 30 are relatively minor. Why is the difference in performance in these ages so drastic then?

And the changes the human body goes through between the age of 25 and 30 are relatively minor. Why is the difference in performance in these ages so drastic then?
NFL careers are short because of injuries and the contract structure. But I guarantee you that a RB who gets 300+ carries at age 25 is more likely to be productive at age 30 than an RB who gets 50 carries at age 25.

Actually, the formula is carries plus receptions divided by 2. So Johnson's # is 383. If you don't put any stock into that number, that's fine. I choose to do so.And the changes the human body goes through between the age of 25 and 30 are relatively minor. Why is the difference in performance in these ages so drastic then?
You're putting stock in that number even though there's no evidence to do so. For every example that supports your conclusion there's one that doesn't. There isn't in any way, shape, or form any statistical evidence to support the notion that a high workload in one year has the proposed effect in the next.And there absolutely is a difference between 25 and 30 year old professional athletes trying to perform at an elite level and the evidence suggests that it isn't minor. It's why there are only a handful of 33 year old running backs who have put up fantasy relevant seasons, suggesting that the decline of physical ability necessary for running backs occurs by the time they get to be around 30 depending on the back.

Still can't believe people call him ADP. AP or AD down? AADP even makes more sense. I've never heard anyone say "All Day Peterson" or "Adrian Day Peterson".

LittlePhatty said:
3nOut said:
2. Jeff, I think he was able to get some rest since then. ;)
:mellow: The high number of carries would worry me if a guy of CJ's size was plowing into defenders like Peterson has a habit of doing. But CJ tends to run around them instead. He doesn't have to repeat a 2,000 yard season. He has a lot of room for his numbers to go down and still be a Top 5 back and a safe pick. And while Vince Young will never be as good as even Steve McNair, he's enough of a run threat to boost CJ's effectiveness when he's on the field.
This post deserves more attention. I think running style needs to be discussed more than just number of carries. Go watch how Marion Barber runs and then watch someone like Chris Johnson. Chris Johnson takes a lot less contact, imo.

LittlePhatty said:
3nOut said:
2. Jeff, I think he was able to get some rest since then. :lmao:
:goodposting: The high number of carries would worry me if a guy of CJ's size was plowing into defenders like Peterson has a habit of doing. But CJ tends to run around them instead. He doesn't have to repeat a 2,000 yard season. He has a lot of room for his numbers to go down and still be a Top 5 back and a safe pick. And while Vince Young will never be as good as even Steve McNair, he's enough of a run threat to boost CJ's effectiveness when he's on the field.
This post deserves more attention. I think running style needs to be discussed more than just number of carries. Go watch how Marion Barber runs and then watch someone like Chris Johnson. Chris Johnson takes a lot less contact, imo.
Your right. This is very relevant and a good observation I hadn't considered, though I had considered A. Peterson's very aggressive style of running where he often does not shy away from contact. So Peterson's 300+ carry season could wear on him more than a C. Johnson 300+ carry season from this viewpoint. The posts going back and forth on the theory of "the curse of 370" are very interesting as I have only seen articles and studies that support this theory. Does anyone know of any articles or studies that contradict this theory?

Your right. This is very relevant and a good observation I hadn't considered, though I had considered A. Peterson's very aggressive style of running where he often does not shy away from contact. So Peterson's 300+ carry season could wear on him more than a C. Johnson 300+ carry season from this viewpoint. The posts going back and forth on the theory of "the curse of 370" are very interesting as I have only seen articles and studies that support this theory. Does anyone know of any articles or studies that contradict this theory?
http://www.advancednflstats.com/2008/07/dr...yth-of-370.html(for one)

I don't think any of them will barring an injury but if I had to pick I would go with Johnson because of the huge workload last year and I expect another huge workload early on this year and that could lead to wearing deal. Now again I don't think any of them will finish outside of the top 7 but if I had to pick I would go wit Johnson.

MJD is a brick house, Johnson is not. History does not favor Johnson to repeat his success of last year

I'd say people will think Chris Johnson is a bust if he rushed for "only 1400 yards." Expectations are so high for him, he will most likely not be able to reach them. So I choose him.

Since all four are fairly young, I'm going to go with two factors:

1. Running style: AP runs the most upright and takes the biggest shots. He's been dinged a bit here and there as a pro and suffered a bunch of nick nack stuff in college too. He is the most likely to get hurt this season out of the four IMO.

2. QB - Flacco is good and getting better; VY and Garrard are serviceable. Favre, who knows? I think he's coming back but will he be effective with a bum ankle? And if not, Tarvaris and Sage make me want to puke.

The offset here is that the Vikes OL is pretty solid, but I just have a bad feeling about AP and the Vikes in general. First Favre, then Rice and now even Percy is a question mark. Dark clouds seem to be hovering over this team and I have zero faith in Childress to properly deal with adversity if it does come. My guess is he'll lean too heavily on AP against 8-men fronts, which will take it's toll.

I am a little concerned about MJD after watching the Jags vs Eagles last night. My concern has nothing to do with him. He, appropriately, had very few touches. I am more concerned about the offensive line situation. They seemed to have little push at the point of attack. Also, Garrard looked to be very ineffective. The health of Sims-Walker doesn't help either. It seems like they did little to bolster their offensive line. It looks like Meester might hold on to the starting center job. Apparently he graded out extremely low last year. It is important to keep in mind that this was the first preseason game against a regular season opponent. I am interested to hear from Jags fans who are closer to the situation. Are we concerned about a bust with MJD? Could you be looking at a change in quarterback soon?

I think there is a pretty easy answer here and its Rice.

He has the shortest track record of the 4 and also has the most talent backing him up. ADP, CJ and MJD have all proven over multiple years that they can produce. None of those 3 have any type of threat behind them, ADP has Gearhart but I doubt he eats into his touches more than Taylor. I think its highly unlikely any of those 3 finish outside of the top 10 non QB's.

Rice however has only 1 year of top level production and is backed up by McGahee, who could start in about 1/3 of the league this year, and McClain who seems to be regaining some short yardage carries if preseason is any indication. For Dynasty Rice is a great top 4 pick and you can't really go wrong, but in redraft I am taking Gore before him alllllll day which is why in every redraft I am hoping for the 5 or 6 slot.

I think there is a pretty easy answer here and its Rice. He has the shortest track record of the 4 and also has the most talent backing him up. ADP, CJ and MJD have all proven over multiple years that they can produce. None of those 3 have any type of threat behind them, ADP has Gearhart but I doubt he eats into his touches more than Taylor. I think its highly unlikely any of those 3 finish outside of the top 10 non QB's. Rice however has only 1 year of top level production and is backed up by McGahee, who could start in about 1/3 of the league this year, and McClain who seems to be regaining some short yardage carries if preseason is any indication. For Dynasty Rice is a great top 4 pick and you can't really go wrong, but in redraft I am taking Gore before him alllllll day which is why in every redraft I am hoping for the 5 or 6 slot.
Based on last nights rotation McGahee won't get that many touches barring injury.

Based on workload I'd have to go with either C. Johnson or Peterson. It's pretty close between the 2 but I still don't think either have that high a likelihood of busting because of it. Johnson rushed the ball 358 times and added 50 receptions last year, giving him over 400 touches. Peterson has been over 400 touches the past 2 season if you add in his playoff touches. Peterson runs with a more aggressive style and had had injury problems in the past so maybe he is of a bit more risk.

Users who are viewing this thread