What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who do you WANT to play in the super bowl? and why? (1 Viewer)

Can we take the AFC winner and replace them with an NFC team? Honestly I feel like any AFC team will struggle against any of the top 3-4 NFC teams. As a Seattle homer, it would be nice to repeat, hopefully against New England because they're probably the most competitive team in the AFC, but that being said I feel like NE would struggle against Green Bay and even Dallas or Detroit. I can't see even the top AFC team being competitive.

Can we take the AFC winner and replace them with an NFC team? Honestly I feel like any AFC team will struggle against any of the top 3-4 NFC teams. As a Seattle homer, it would be nice to repeat, hopefully against New England because they're probably the most competitive team in the AFC, but that being said I feel like NE would struggle against Green Bay and even Dallas or Detroit. I can't see even the top AFC team being competitive.
New England will be competitive against anyone as long as they have Belichick, Brady and Gronk. Denver could be too the way the defense is playing and the way they're running the ball. They completely changed their identity. Why? So they have a chance to win in Foxborough and against Seattle (tall tasks both, but I think they can make both games interesting if they stick to script and if the O-line can hold up). What gives New England and Seattle the edge over Denver is coaching, not talent. Fox is... yeah. But Denver has as much talent as any team in the NFL.

What in God's name would make you believe N.E couldn't beat Detroit when they already destroyed them earlier in the year?

What in God's name would make you believe N.E couldn't beat Detroit when they already destroyed them earlier in the year?
They also took Green Bay to the wire in Lambeau. They can hang with anyone.

I'm a Seattle homer, and NE is the last team I want to see come out of the AFC

I don't blame you.

Like I said earlier if it's not Denver, I want to see Seattle vs. New England because I think it would be a great game.

I don't blame you.

Like I said earlier if it's not Denver, I want to see Seattle vs. New England because I think it would be a great game.
It would be an amazing game. But really, if the Seahawks make the playoffs and don't get to beat the Steelers, I'd rather have them play a local HS team. Whatever gets the ring.

New England didnt struggle against Detroit, they blew them out. They went to the wire AT Lambeau, something that no NFC team did this year, and I don't see how Dallas would beat New England. BB would shut down Murray and make Romo beat him, and that most likely wouldn't happen with the way their secondary is playing. You're overlooking the Patriots and Broncos for that matter if you don't think either of them can beat Seattle, GB, or Dallas. New England obviously has the advantage with Belichick, and on a neutral field I think they'd have a great shot at beating Seattle.

New England didnt struggle against Detroit, they blew them out. They went to the wire AT Lambeau, something that no NFC team did this year, and I don't see how Dallas would beat New England. BB would shut down Murray and make Romo beat him, and that most likely wouldn't happen with the way their secondary is playing. You're overlooking the Patriots and Broncos for that matter if you don't think either of them can beat Seattle, GB, or Dallas. New England obviously has the advantage with Belichick, and on a neutral field I think they'd have a great shot at beating Seattle.
Agree with all of this. New England could beat anyone in the NFC. I think there is basically no chance they would get blown out by any of the remaining NFC teams. I could however see any of the other 3 AFC teams getting destroyed by GB or Seattle.

Agree with all of this. New England could beat anyone in the NFC. I think there is basically no chance they would get blown out by any of the remaining NFC teams. I could however see any of the other 3 AFC teams getting destroyed by GB or Seattle.
Anybody can beat anybody. Haven't we learned this yet?

Of course but New England wouldn't even be a heavy underdog against Seattle or GB. I would guess the line would be 4 or less points. It seems that many in here are completely disrespecting the talent on New England.

New England has bit the injury bug at RB, and without anyone to throw to besides Gronk (usually enough against weaker teams) teams would key up and prevent that connection. The defenses are far stronger in the NFC and far better built to handle these classical passing teams coming out of the AFC.I will admit Detroit being viable as equal was a stretch, but on the note that they were beaten, I'll add they were beaten in Foxborough, on a day where special teams and the defense were playing quite poorly.

fred_1_15301 said:
ghostguy123 said:
fred_1_15301 said:
devouredbychaos said:
Of course but New England wouldn't even be a heavy underdog against Seattle or GB. I would guess the line would be 4 or less points. It seems that many in here are completely disrespecting the talent on New England.
New England's talent is too top heavy on offense. Give Brady viable weapons at WR and a suitable bell cow and they're holding with even the best defenses. But the offense is overrated. It's done quite well at times, but they've only been fantastic at home and against crappy teams. Their loses at Miami, KC, GB, and Buffalo (which admittedly was a game that didn't matter) show that when playing tough defenses outside of Foxborough its not the same production. The defense is underrated, but it's not awe inspiring. I think New England is about as good as Dallas to be honest, which isn't bad, but Dallas isn't the team GB and Seattle are right now.

fred_1_15301 said:
ghostguy123 said:
fred_1_15301 said:
devouredbychaos said:
New England's talent is too top heavy on offense. Give Brady viable weapons at WR and a suitable bell cow and they're holding with even the best defenses. But the offense is overrated. It's done quite well at times, but they've only been fantastic at home and against crappy teams. Their loses at Miami, KC, GB, and Buffalo (which admittedly was a game that didn't matter) show that when playing tough defenses outside of Foxborough its not the same production. The defense is underrated, but it's not awe inspiring. I think New England is about as good as Dallas to be honest, which isn't bad, but Dallas isn't the team GB and Seattle are right now.
lolwut. Can I have some of what you're smoking?? New England has probably the second best secondary in the league behind Seattle, and one of the best young LB corps going. They've got a solid run game in Blount/Gray/Vereen, and a more well rounded team than GB. These "but the Patriots are too finesse" comments this season are becoming comical. There's a reason why they've held their opponents to only 12 combined points in the second half of the past 6 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dal - Because of how putrid every (with good reason) said their D was (Fingers crossed for a shut out in the SB because of that)

Pit - if they win in NE and win SB (1st time to win with a win against NE in playoffs)

Indy - with a Win in NE and take the SB (Luck wins Play off game in NE which Peyton has not done)

Sea - Back to Back is pretty rare

Car - Losing record team to a SB winner

Ari - No 4 QB winning SB

Det - Cuase they play some interesting games

Dal - Because of how putrid every (with good reason) said their D was (Fingers crossed for a shut out in the SB because of that)

Pit - if they win in NE and win SB (1st time to win with a win against NE in playoffs)

Indy - with a Win in NE and take the SB (Luck wins Play off game in NE which Peyton has not done)

Ari - No 4 QB winning SB

Did you watch any football this weekend?

fred_1_15301 said:
ghostguy123 said:
fred_1_15301 said:
devouredbychaos said:
lolwut. Can I have some of what you're smoking?? New England has probably the second best secondary in the league behind Seattle, and one of the best young LB corps going. They've got a solid run game in Blount/Gray/Vereen, and a more well rounded team than GB. These "but the Patriots are too finesse" comments this season are becoming comical. There's a reason why they've held their opponents to only 12 combined points in the second half of the past 6 games.
It bugs me when people assume that recognizability=production. By nearly every metric NE ranks outside the top ten in passing defense, the only reason I can think you hold them in such high regard is because Revis and Browner and maybe McCourty are notable names. Yeah, when their running backs are healthy, it's a pretty damn good stable they have and BB is pretty good at figuring out who to ride week to week, but they aren't healthy and none of them are individually all that good. I wouldn't take Shane Vereen before Lynch, Lacy, Murray, or even Bell if we want to go back to that.

Line backing core? Fair enough, I'll give you they've played well on the front overall this year. But how many hairs are we going to split looking for an excuse to call this team equal to any of these NFC teams, talent wise? Bill Bellichek is good. He might make the most difference of any HC in the league. But I don't think he is so much better than Carroll and McCarthy and even Garrett that this comes down to coaching staff.

New England will be competitive against anyone as long as they have Belichick, Brady and Gronk. Denver could be too the way the defense is playing and the way they're running the ball. They completely changed their identity. Why? So they have a chance to win in Foxborough and against Seattle (tall tasks both, but I think they can make both games interesting if they stick to script and if the O-line can hold up). What gives New England and Seattle the edge over Denver is coaching, not talent. Fox is... yeah. But Denver has as much talent as any team in the NFL.
My question would be, which script are we talking here? Peyton Manning gunslinging it or this new run-heavy approach? The problem is that Manning hasn't played like Manning lately, and despite being ostensibly the best defense in the AFC when totally healthy, they haven't preformed like so, mostly because they HAVEN'T been totally healthy this year. Also they've dropped the ball (metaphorically) too often this year, and it usually happens against solid defenses (StL, Cinn, Sea, and NE as far as losses go). But I won't overract to the record, and I admit that Denver can be a scary team when clicking, the problem is we don't know if it can click.

The Patriots weakness this season has been playing teams with a very strong running game. They lost to the Packers and got blown out by the Chiefs. I don't think anyone left in the AFC has that. But Marshawn Lynch, Eddie Lacy, and DeMarco Murray would all probably give the Patriots fits in the Super Bowl.

The Patriots weakness this season has been playing teams with a very strong running game. They lost to the Packers and got blown out by the Chiefs. I don't think anyone left in the AFC has that. But Marshawn Lynch, Eddie Lacy, and DeMarco Murray would all probably give the Patriots fits in the Super Bowl.
That was a glaring weakness earlier in the season, but they've been pretty stout against the run over the last month or two.

Ari - No 4 QB winning SB

:lol:

fred_1_15301 said:
ghostguy123 said:
fred_1_15301 said:
devouredbychaos said:
It bugs me when people assume that recognizability=production. By nearly every metric NE ranks outside the top ten in passing defense, the only reason I can think you hold them in such high regard is because Revis and Browner and maybe McCourty are notable names. Yeah, when their running backs are healthy, it's a pretty damn good stable they have and BB is pretty good at figuring out who to ride week to week, but they aren't healthy and none of them are individually all that good. I wouldn't take Shane Vereen before Lynch, Lacy, Murray, or even Bell if we want to go back to that.

Line backing core? Fair enough, I'll give you they've played well on the front overall this year. But how many hairs are we going to split looking for an excuse to call this team equal to any of these NFC teams, talent wise? Bill Bellichek is good. He might make the most difference of any HC in the league. But I don't think he is so much better than Carroll and McCarthy and even Garrett that this comes down to coaching staff.
The only team with a better pass defense than New England in the NFC is Seattle. Dallas and GBs are borderline abysmal. It's not by name recognition either. Take a look at what that Pats secondary has done since November and it's quite impressive.

Blount, Gray, and Vereen are all healthy, as is the rest of the Pats offense. Not sure where your getting the injury information from. They were banged up over the last 3 weeks but nothing serious and you can bet they'll be good to go on Saturday. You're just not giving this Patriots team enough credit when they've been one of the best teams in the league since November.

My question would be, which script are we talking here? Peyton Manning gunslinging it or this new run-heavy approach? The problem is that Manning hasn't played like Manning lately, and despite being ostensibly the best defense in the AFC when totally healthy, they haven't preformed like so, mostly because they HAVEN'T been totally healthy this year. Also they've dropped the ball (metaphorically) too often this year, and it usually happens against solid defenses (StL, Cinn, Sea, and NE as far as losses go). But I won't overract to the record, and I admit that Denver can be a scary team when clicking, the problem is we don't know if it can click.
I agree completely with your last sentence. That's what's so frustrating as a Denver fan and why most Denver fans have soured on Fox. Give Denver Belichick and it's possible they're going for a three-peat. The script I was referring to was the new run heavy--slinging the rock 45+ times is a losing proposition. Obviously it will also require better situational play from Peyton, too.

I'd love to see a Denver/ Seattle rematch, this time with Manning pulling out the victory , a SB MVP, and retires .. riding off into the sunset like Elway did , going out on top..it would be like watching history unfold before your eyes, pretty much making Manning the greatest Qb ever..

I'd also like to see Ravens v. Packers, or Ravens v. Seattle...

Rodgers winning a second ring would be awesome, and for how well he's played this season, it would be cool to see Romo playing for a ring..tough to say that as a Giants' fan, but...

Panthers vs Patriots, rematch

Panthers vs Ravens, Steve Smith Revenge Bowl

Panthers vs Broncos, John Fox factor

:homer:

I'd love to see a Denver/ Seattle rematch, this time with Manning pulling out the victory , a SB MVP, and retires .. riding off into the sunset like Elway did , going out on top..it would be like watching history unfold before your eyes, pretty much making Manning the greatest Qb ever..
like to see this as well.

Considering Brady would still have one more ring than Manning, I'm not sure how you'd come to that conclusion.. :)

Considering Brady would still have one more ring than Manning, I'm not sure how you'd come to that conclusion.. :)
Perhaps it's possible to have less Super Bowl rings than someone else but still be better? Last time I checked, football was a team sport.

1st choice SEA v NE, but a part of me wants to see DAL v IND, just because of all of the off the field crap that both owners bring to the table. I think it would be a fitting end (and show a certain amount of absurdity) to a season marked by so many off the field player problems

Ari - No 4 QB winning SB

That i did. Only saw this thread after games were done. Better late than never...

One thing i would add is:

Indy - with a Win in NE and take the SB (Luck wins Play off game in NE which Peyton has not done). Win over Manning in Den and Brady In NE then Win over Rogers and GB

Ari - No 4 QB winning SB

That i did. Only saw this thread after games were done. Better late than never...

One thing i would add is:

Indy - with a Win in NE and take the SB (Luck wins Play off game in NE which Peyton has not done). Win over Manning in Den and Brady In NE then Win over Rogers and GB
Yeah but your post was after the games were over and you listed 3 teams who had already been eliminated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously we'll all want our favorite teams to win the championship. But what other teams will you find yourself cheering for as the playoffs progress?

For the wildcard round:

Panthers - honestly I'd love to see a sub 500 team win it all. Plus they're the local team and I enjoy watching cam play.

Lions - someday they might make a super bowl. Why not now? People don't like suh, but calvin makes up for him. Also I'm a lifelong lions fan from motown.

Colts - basically I want to see them play against Peyton.

Bye Teams:

Broncos - watch Peyton retire a winner.

What about you?
:( At least we saw the Colts v. Peyton.

I guess I'll lean toward the Colts, but none of these teams really garner my support. Respect, sure. But don't see cheering for any of them.

Make your case for which team to cheer for now.

As an outsider, the potential to see the two-week, headlong clash of epic toolbaggery between the two worst fanbases in the NFL and on the forum has me salivating.

As an outsider, the potential to see the two-week, headlong clash of epic toolbaggery between the two worst fanbases in the NFL and on the forum has me salivating.
The fans on this forum -- and the fans not on this forum in New England -- are epically special. I can't speak for Seattle, but yeah, they're generally the worst in the forum, Hooper31's protestations aside. Them and Chicago. Whoa.

I feel that the "worst fans in the league" moniker generally follows the fans of the best teams in the league.

NE v Seattle would be the most intriguing just to see how Belichik would attempt to solve that Seattle defense. Of the remaining teams, I think Indy is the easiest to root for. NE and GB are not unlikeable, but they have been there and are somewhat oversaturated. Seattle won last year so it would be nice to see new blood. Guess I throw in with Indy.

proninja said:
I feel that the "worst fans in the league" moniker generally follows the fans of the best teams in the league.
Probably something to this. Every team has a bunch of rabid mouth-breathers that get to open their mouths when their team is really good.

Pats have been pretty damn good for so long that they've accumulated lots of insufferable folks.

proninja said:
This is so true. There are quite a few obnoxious fans for every sports team (yes even the Jacksonville Jaguars gasp!). I frequented an NFL chat room in the early 2000s where a Rams fan was the most obnoxious tool. These type of fans typically only come out when the teams are doing well.

Users who are viewing this thread