What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is Brandon Bolden (3 Viewers)

We've been through this twice before, Baltimore and Denver, where the alleged COP guy ended up actually being the guy.

I've always liked Bolden, he had some good games the last couple years (including a very good one in 2012), picked him up just in case, but he's on the bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
Logic and similar situations in this NFL season dictate the Pats will turn to the vet who best knows the system and Bolden will slip into the Ridley role.

Rest assured that means James White will get 15 carries tonight.

I think this is a classic stay-away situation until we have some clarity (of course, that's easy for me to say since I own both Vereen and Bolden). The fact that people are talking up four different people suggests that no one really has any idea. And it's entirely possible that, even after tonight's game, we still won't have clarity.
I'd say it's likely that we still won't have much clarity after tonight's game. We may get some clarity on who is going to fill which role, but then you still have to guess which role is going to be featured each week.

I think this is a classic stay-away situation until we have some clarity (of course, that's easy for me to say since I own both Vereen and Bolden). The fact that people are talking up four different people suggests that no one really has any idea. And it's entirely possible that, even after tonight's game, we still won't have clarity.
I'd say it's likely that we still won't have much clarity after tonight's game. We may get some clarity on who is going to fill which role, but then you still have to guess which role is going to be featured each week.
That's a good point - in seasons past we've definitely seen the Pats gameplan with the backfield when all were healthy. Bolden's a better receiver than Ridley was, so perhaps he can carve out a little more consistency from that perspective.

As far as this year, Ridley averaged 15.7 carries per game (a number that includes his 10 from last week when he missed 4 minutes of the 3rd and the entirety of the 4th quarter and also includes a miniscule 5 carries when the Pats got shellacked by the Chiefs and were down BIG early).

16 carries a game is enough to be productive in an offense that strong. Certainly there's risk of gameplanning going away from the "big" back, but it seems to be more consistent this year than in years past.

That's a good point - in seasons past we've definitely seen the Pats gameplan with the backfield when all were healthy. Bolden's a better receiver than Ridley was, so perhaps he can carve out a little more consistency from that perspective.

As far as this year, Ridley averaged 15.7 carries per game (a number that includes his 10 from last week when he missed 4 minutes of the 3rd and the entirety of the 4th quarter and also includes a miniscule 5 carries when the Pats got shellacked by the Chiefs and were down BIG early).

16 carries a game is enough to be productive in an offense that strong. Certainly there's risk of gameplanning going away from the "big" back, but it seems to be more consistent this year than in years past.
I agree that 16 carries a game would be enough, but it isn't consistent. Ridley had 8, 25, 19, 5, 27, then 10. Not all of that is just on the Pats toying with us, obviously game situation will play a big part as well, but that's the problem with RBs with such defined roles.

Anybody rolling Bolden out there tonight? Weather, score getting out of hand early could necessitate a boring second half glut of carries for Bolden. Maybe even a cheap score. Most leagues by now have someone that picked him up off waivers this week. But who out there are willing to put their money where their mouth is. Tonight might be the opportunity to use Bolden, and next week could be chasing points. I've not decided yet, but I'm tempted.

Anybody rolling Bolden out there tonight? Weather, score getting out of hand early could necessitate a boring second half glut of carries for Bolden. Maybe even a cheap score. Most leagues by now have someone that picked him up off waivers this week. But who out there are willing to put their money where their mouth is. Tonight might be the opportunity to use Bolden, and next week could be chasing points. I've not decided yet, but I'm tempted.
Have him in my linuep right now. Not necessarily proud of it, but my options are slim. My choices are Bolden, McFadden or Tre Mason......

LOL! If you buy in to Rotoworld like most people do, here is the typical move that I would expect from Belicheck:

"

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Patriots will promote RB Jonas Gray from the practice squad before Thursday's game against the Jets.

The move has been rumored all week. A third-year undrafted free agent out of Notre Dame, Gray will be No. 3 in the Patriots' "big back" rotation behind Brandon Bolden and James White, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that he'll get an opportunity to establish the "hot hand." He's worth a flier in 14-team leagues if you're absolutely bereft of options at running back."

No way in hell to know who to start.

Jonas Gray promoted from Patriots' practice squad:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000411866/article/jonas-gray-promoted-from-patriots-practice-squad

Excerpt:

Gray is a power back out of Notre Dame who had 37 carries for 142 yards during the preseason. The Pats waived Gray on Aug. 30, then added him to the practice squad the next day.

Shane Vereen and Brandon Bolden are expected to take on an expanded role with Ridley out for the year. Don't assume Gray will be buried on the depth chart, however. Bill Belichick can be unpredictable in how he deploys his backfield.

Very interesting that he'll be active. They wouldn't activate him if he wouldn't have an offensive role. Probably doesn't bode real well for James White. And obviously cuts down on Bolden's chances for any real significant fantasy value.

I don't think White is the answer, but Vereen getting a bigger role, Bolden picking up the slack, Gray taking Ridley's role or a value-busting RBBC all seem possible. A mess until it's not IMO.

Gray is worth a flier but Bolden still should have first shot at being the guy. It blows my mind that Bloom only had him as a 1% WW Bid this week. More than likely it will be a mess, but Bolden could also easily slide right into the Ridley role.

humpback said:
JFS171 said:
humpback said:
zftcg said:

I agree that 16 carries a game would be enough, but it isn't consistent. Ridley had 8, 25, 19, 5, 27, then 10. Not all of that is just on the Pats toying with us, obviously game situation will play a big part as well, but that's the problem with RBs with such defined roles.
That's why I said AVERAGE. His 5 carry game was explainable IMO - they got utterly smoked out of the gate.

Last week he had 10 before his injury. Bolden got 7 carries (by the play-by-play on ESPN); 6 by the stat sheet (which doesn't make any sense) and a 7/8th carry was called back due to a false start on LaFell. Thus, last week, the Pats gave the "big back" at least 16 carries and wanted to give as many as 18 attempts.

Again, it's on average... but if they're not getting smoked out of the gate like week 4 vs. the Chiefs, there's a clear role for a big back. Take away that game (randomness happens) and even with week 1 where they let the Dolphins come back and watched Brady throw it 56(!) times, the big back role is averaging 19 per week. Including week 1 it's still averaging 16.7 per week.

IMO it's enough to be productive if one guy has it. If it's split up, then all bets are off.

humpback said:
JFS171 said:
humpback said:
zftcg said:

That's why I said AVERAGE. His 5 carry game was explainable IMO - they got utterly smoked out of the gate.

Last week he had 10 before his injury. Bolden got 7 carries (by the play-by-play on ESPN); 6 by the stat sheet (which doesn't make any sense) and a 7/8th carry was called back due to a false start on LaFell. Thus, last week, the Pats gave the "big back" at least 16 carries and wanted to give as many as 18 attempts.

Again, it's on average... but if they're not getting smoked out of the gate like week 4 vs. the Chiefs, there's a clear role for a big back. Take away that game (randomness happens) and even with week 1 where they let the Dolphins come back and watched Brady throw it 56(!) times, the big back role is averaging 19 per week. Including week 1 it's still averaging 16.7 per week.

IMO it's enough to be productive if one guy has it. If it's split up, then all bets are off.
I know you said average, but to determine consistency you need to look at individual games. I agree about the game situation making a difference (I said as much), but again, that's the trouble with guys with such defined roles. Guys who play in all situations can still put up a lot of points in catch-up mode when their team gets blown out.

I certainly wouldn't call Ridley consistent this year, and I doubt whoever assumes his role will be either, unless Vereen takes on some of it himself. It's nearly impossible for a 1-trick pony to have consistency.

Gray is worth a flier but Bolden still should have first shot at being the guy. It blows my mind that Bloom only had him as a 1% WW Bid this week. More than likely it will be a mess, but Bolden could also easily slide right into the Ridley role.
:hey:

:hey:
Come say hi in the Ronnie HIllman vs CJ Anderson thread yet?
I haven't but from the moment Ball went down I was pretty clear that while I judged Anderson as the best overall talent and best suited to be a lead back, I did not feel comfortable predicting John Fox's personnel decisions. But that's for that thread, not this one

I threw a dart. Sure looks like a miss.

On the bright side, it frankly looks like they'd both be misses. Sure feels like Vereen's the one to own, and this is now Brady's show.

Braktastic said:
Someone in my dynasty league spent $60/100 in FAAB on this guy, so remember it could always be worse.
Bolden was the most added RB in CBS this week and the 2nd most added player overall, he went from 2% owned to 60% owned in a nanosecond.

Any Blount owners rolling with Bolden Thursday night?

ETA: Looks like a bad weather game

Not starting him, but I definitely will be paying attention to how that NE running game shakes out.

Can't believe I'm getting sucked back into the snake put that is the Pats' backfield.

Rotoworld:

Brandon Bolden started the Patriots' Week 15 win over the Titans, rushing 10 times for 36 yards.

He added two catches for 18 additional yards. Although Bolden got the start and was operating as the Patriots' clear lead back early on, he ended up getting out-touched and out-carried by practice squad signee Joey Iosefa. It was the nightmare scenario envisioned by Bill Belichick truthers all week. We won't pretend to know how Belichick might split up work in Week 16 against the Jets, rendering Bolden a no go as an RB3/FLEX.

Dec 20 - 5:48 PM

Users who are viewing this thread