What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is respected in the FF Community? (1 Viewer)

You have some that like to go against the grain like Lhucks and, and ...
I think that gets lost in LHUCKS' arrogance (edit: which is entirely schtick, IMO)....the fact that he really is a fantastic poster in his own way.In fantasy football, like anything else in life, you need a better strategy than anyone else in order to win consistently.

To have a better strategy, first, you need a *different* strategy. That's what LHUCKS offers, post after post.

Are all of them "better"? No. But a lot of them are hidden gems that a lot of people skip over.

We need more of that...a lot more. Even if people are wrong, it's worth it for the few nuggets of truth we get from them.
the contrarians are very important to spur discussions. if we all agree on someone, then we rarely learn anything about them in our discussion.
I'm here because I strive to be better than everybody else at this hobby, not because I'm running for election or trying to impress FBGs with my posts. If that makes me a contrarian so be it. If Joe or David ask me to pitch in on some preseason writing, I'm thrilled to do it, but I am by no means obligated to do so as it pertains to the board. I let my results do the talking. Those that actually know what they're doing know what's up. They actually look at results and not all of the fluf and smoke that is often misinterpreted as a quality post. If you want to be the best at ff, I suggest you start looking for statistical trends and know everything there is to know about the NFL as it relates to ff...that's where I spend my time.

I've been on these boards since '98. I'm not interested in your typical ff thread any longer.

P.S. Not directed at Bloom at all who I find to be one of the better posters around.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a some good names here that have done a lot to promote the hobby.The great people in fantasy football are the one's that earn their respect and don't do anything to draw attention to themselves. LHUCKS may know something about fantasy football but I have never seen respected people in this hobby state..."I command respect". Those great ones EARN it.It's a shame that TC is leaving the hobby for a while. The time and effort he put in to his Youth Fantasy Leagues is very much appreciated. What a great way for kids to learn about fantasy football and TC did it with joy and passion. My sons will miss taking part in his leagues. Thanks for everything TC!

LHUCKS may know something about fantasy football but I have never seen respected people in this hobby state..."I command respect". Those great ones EARN it.
:rolleyes: Quit stalking me...TIA.

LHUCKS may know something about fantasy football but I have never seen respected people in this hobby state..."I command respect". Those great ones EARN it.
I respect him because he brings something different to the table, that makes you think. He's not right all the time...and obviously, I don't like him, but that doesn't make his opinions any less valid, or useful.I think the "command respect" schtick is just part of being on a message board. You're going to get the ugly side of people when they don't have to own up to what they say. I try to get past that and go to the substance, but obviously, that doesn't always work.

I think the "command respect" schtick is just part of being on a message board. You're going to get the ugly side of people when they don't have to own up to what they say.
Link?

I think the "command respect" schtick is just part of being on a message board.  You're going to get the ugly side of people when they don't have to own up to what they say. 
Link?
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...ic=87069&st=450
:lmao: from 2004 huh? Back then, when I was provoked, I returned insults...now that I am wiser I just :rolleyes:

I'm finished discussing me, because I'm not the focus of this thread.

Plase commence with the Zippy is a well respected member of the FF community thread.

Hijack off.

some of these might have been mentioned, but what about:

195 User(s) are browsing this forum (66 Guests and 2 Anonymous Users)

127 Members: Duckboy, Bloom, SmoovySmoov, ComebackKurt, sport, rifkin, A-Monkey, Borat, bagger, CalBear, Frenchy Fuqua, Rev, salmonstud, Mr. Vegas, Dr. Octopus, The_Man, fred_1_15301, Poppa, brewer, Family Matters, Bojang0301, malice, tarheel23, redman, kupcho1, Sheriff66, Blue Peep, Iwannabeacowboybaby!, ScoobySnack, joffer, Giant Wooden Badger, birdy, KTM, TheRingLeader$, MarshallRob, andyk, The Tick, TeddyKGB, ExaltedOne, rikishiboy, nygiants56, shredhead, mizeners, dgreen, Mathematics, 3C's, goldfinger, 3MTA3, Idiot, stugnut, yortstop, Urinal Mint, Joseph, Evilgrin 72, Bushead, Chaos Commish, crowe1130, VerticalVike, Ksquared, LawFitz, Cool in the pocket, BrutalPenguin, SaosiN, stevec, Man of Constant Sorrow, dirtyhalos, GB20, Loomba, Catalytic, Seehawk, QuizGuy66, ooofffaaa, Marms, jmills, Wu-banger, kevinray, Buzzworth, bigliebdogg, Sergio from Rio, theo888, Warsteinner, SaintArnold, MDSkinner, jhexel, ChromeWeasel, fatness, Chubbs, dallas, CEO of the Barefoots, Icedrinking, JohnnyU, Sweet Love, Native, squistion, rumblinbumblinstumbler, modus, Ariakis, Cenobite, chet_zesty, potsie, pmedina, Mik789fl, Kiddnets, TheFanatic, Bud Kilmer, abrecher, Duffy, Loopdog, psychobillies, Beer, Boston, Mike Herman, Boone22, rhawkins68, Jason Wood, Bears_Man2, hd_Fatboy, Slinger, boubucarow, Sphinx, helix, mcjc4, Chang Gyroboy, SDJohnny, mike303, guderian, pretender
:kicksrock:

I would like to nominate this crew:CapnJB, Gwall, gorf, Sheriff66, Magic Man, Riffraff, Dulymus Mudhounds, Ksquared, garyd, AdmiralST, dallas, dantheman8417, jeter23, Joexx, fridayfrenzy, MKB4®, Bob Magaw, FAVRE, shaunmzs, Ridgelake, Lott's Fingertip, Frenchy Fuqua, JohnnyU, MarshallRob, TwinTurbo, Slinger, raidergil, Symbius, Jedi Knight, culdeus, NeilC, commisholio, Biabreakable, habman, IrishTwinkie, Jeremy, Blitzkrieg914, Yeufann, DrJ, Chang Gyroboy, Z-Dog, Odogs, Steel City, NattyDread, Football Menace, Raagsreth, kellumsboys, cstu, Sopranos, ~OMM~, Aabye, Warehouse Nasty, C & C, Nihilist Pig, QuizGuy66, Crippler, Gotwald, Doctor Detroit, Just Win Baby, Jetdoc, thesurfshop19, falconsfan7, Idiot Boxer, braven112, Family Matters, stevec, BrutalPenguin, helix, FF Thinker, Csonka4life, gman8343, mcjc4, Festivus, hobbes4, jeff_eaglz, theskirt, the Kid, offdee, kingmalaki, SammyJankis, King of the Jungle, UnknownCoach, Leo2228, Exile, HobbesAB, ttiger72, Sweet Love, Chaos Commish, Perfect Tommy, QB11, quiksilver, LawFitz, Duffy, scab, mueller54, 5Rings, Jackal, Irish, rockbottom895, Loan Sharks, Shockizzle, Keys Myaths, wadegarrett, diesel7982, theo888, thejag, DaWidowMaker, Sidewinder16, Silver & Black, Keeler, Marms, Dreamer, ooofffaaa, Mungo Burrows

You have some that like to go against the grain like Lhucks and, and ...
I think that gets lost in LHUCKS' arrogance (edit: which is entirely schtick, IMO)....the fact that he really is a fantastic poster in his own way.In fantasy football, like anything else in life, you need a better strategy than anyone else in order to win consistently.

To have a better strategy, first, you need a *different* strategy. That's what LHUCKS offers, post after post.

Are all of them "better"? No. But a lot of them are hidden gems that a lot of people skip over.

We need more of that...a lot more. Even if people are wrong, it's worth it for the few nuggets of truth we get from them.
the contrarians are very important to spur discussions. if we all agree on someone, then we rarely learn anything about them in our discussion.
I'm here because I strive to be better than everybody else at this hobby, not because I'm running for election or trying to impress FBGs with my posts. If that makes me a contrarian so be it. If Joe or David ask me to pitch in on some preseason writing, I'm thrilled to do it, but I am by no means obligated to do so as it pertains to the board. I let my results do the talking. Those that actually know what they're doing know what's up. They actually look at results and not all of the fluf and smoke that is often misinterpreted as a quality post. If you want to be the best at ff, I suggest you start looking for statistical trends and know everything there is to know about the NFL as it relates to ff...that's where I spend my time.

I've been on these boards since '98. I'm not interested in your typical ff thread any longer.

P.S. Not directed at Bloom at all who I find to be one of the better posters around.
very :goodposting;

First I would like to thank those that suggested my name. It is an honor to be considered respected in this community.I can't even begin to name all the people that have had a positive influence on me through the years but here are a few and I KNOW I will be missing some names so I apologize in advance.Bob Harris - gave me tips when I first found the internet and always takes my calls. I love you man.Emil Kadlec - published my first magazine article and several since.Joe Bryant - co-founded FanEx with me but is even a better man and friend.Wade Iuele - used to be on this board alot - I stole him to write for me. He had a very innovative mind and I miss seeing him around.Shawn Culcasi - very VERY good on IDP and another guy I stole (for a short while anyway).Kirk Bouyelas - a good friend who helped keep me grounded during the FA breakup.Robin Goldstein - Doc Rob was FA's first physician to write for us. He went with Ryan to FF.com but I remember his first columns - he is an excellent writer that gave insight to injuries that was unmatched.Bryan Douglass - Bryan and I didn't always see eye-to-eye, but he is a very loyal guy that works harder than most anyone I have ever met. He and Rick Hawes are two of the hardest working guys in the industry.Mark Bond - we don't always agree but he always has a good reason for his opinion.Bob Scheckman - he doesn't even write but he knows the hobby better than most all experts - myself included.Dave Stagg - Another non-writer that knows the game and is a great person.Brian Hulett - A very good man that for awhile ran a very good newsletter (TheWinningDrive).Ryan Houston - taught me a valuable lesson about businessTony Holm and John Georgopoulos - two friends that run great sites.Chase and Jason - two excellent writers - I miss chatting with you Chase - you have to come over to YIM from the dark side (AIM).Sam Caplan - gave my first article Internet time on his original site.Adam Caplan - would give me tips that beat our own NFL desk during my FOXSports days.All the guys at Fanball.com but especially Paul Charchian, Rob Pythion and (formerly) John Habermeier.There have been a lot more (Dorey and Walters, Del Pilar, Nazarek, Hansen and Cohen to name a few).David Dodds - I love his programming bent and his games that aren't even fantasy related.Finally, I don't think a person has been a better or more long term friend to me than Terry Cannon. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love and respect this man. ANY time he takes away from the hobby is a loss for all of us but worse for future fantasy footballers.BTW, if you ever start a thread on favorite column - let me know. Mine was and remains Fantasy Football in the Groin though I haven't read it in a couple years. I believe Mike McGregor is the author but I don't recall where the column now lives.I also love reading Doug Drinen though I have to admit since moving into Asylum and then Grumblings I don't get here as often as I used to so I don't read the articles here much anymore. Not because they are not worthy - they are very worthy - just due to time constraints.

Gotta give credit where it's due ...

Despite my bitter hatred of his favorite team, I like what Jason Wood brings to the table.
How can you NOT like the Eagles? I mean they had the gumption to sit TO down and dump his sorry butt. You gotta like that don't you?At least he doesn't root for the Jets. Though they are hard to root against, much like the Clippers - Lovable Losers. Sorry Chase.

How can you NOT like the Eagles? I mean they had the gumption to sit TO down and dump his sorry butt. You gotta like that don't you?
This is precisely the reason I hate them. I used to be ambivalent, but was completely and probably permanently turned off by the combination of how badly they mishandled Owens and how badly they treated a player who risked his career to help them win a Superbowl and was their best player on the field that day.

FBG Staff

Joe Bryant

David Dodds

Jason Wood

Bob Henry

Doug Drinen

Aaron Rudnicki

Bruce Henderson

David Yudkin

Colin Dowling

Mike Herman

John Norton

Chris Smith

Marc Levin

Chase Stuart

Mike Anderson

Bob Magaw

Cecil Lammey

Ken Maxwell
Wow, surprised Mark Wimer was not included. Two of the best things I enjoyed reading this year was his stuff.Passing Matchups - Wimer

Rushing Matchups - Wimer

Kirk Bouyelas - a good friend who helped keep me grounded during the FA breakup.
he and his family OK? after Katrina and all?guys here donated a bunch of money so I didn't PM, figured I wasn't the only one curious here.

How can you NOT like the Eagles?  I mean they had the gumption to sit TO down and dump his sorry butt.  You gotta like that don't you?
This is precisely the reason I hate them. I used to be ambivalent, but was completely and probably permanently turned off by the combination of how badly they mishandled Owens and how badly they treated a player who risked his career to help them win a Superbowl and was their best player on the field that day.
:cry: :cry: :cry: Are all you chowdah heads big weenies?

Wade Iuele - used to be on this board alot - I stole him to write for me. He had a very innovative mind and I miss seeing him around.

Shawn Culcasi - very VERY good on IDP and another guy I stole (for a short while anyway).

Bob Scheckman - he doesn't even write but he knows the hobby better than most all experts - myself included.
I had the good fortune to work on the same staff with these guys a couple of years ago in a auction/draft/dynasty IDP league, along with FBG Viper. The thing that I remember the most about Scheckman was that prior to the rookie draft, he organized a mock draft of the fantasy football league to get a better handle on other teams' needs and what rookies may be available at our spots. That, and he once called me at 6 a.m. on my anniversary to discuss the roster. I was at a bed and breakfast with my wife. :D

For slinger and Spike, if you do a search for 'MrCoolBear' (scheckman), you'll turn up a thread where Smoo does in fact participate in a fantasy football discussion.

[hijack]

There is a new (free) auction/draft/IDP/dynasty/hybrid league forming, where you can go head to head with some of the guys on the list on page one, including Komments and John G. Our team is looking for a defensive coordinator. If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

Kirk Bouyelas - a good friend who helped keep me grounded during the FA breakup.
he and his family OK? after Katrina and all?guys here donated a bunch of money so I didn't PM, figured I wasn't the only one curious here.
I got a thank you from Kirk but not much else. I know his house was pretty messed up and I know the police department has to overcome a LOT of issues so I imagine he is okay but still very busy trying to get back to somewhere near normal.Ryan did a great thing setting up that account for Kirk and Sheri.

Kellogg...FF In The Groin is over at FFToday.com. I agree, Mike MacGregor writes a very entertaining column. He has been a great person to work with as well. A very underrated writer and analyst in a community of some excellent names mentioned.

Terry Cannon.

http://www.youthfantasyfootball.com/

We're gonna miss him. TC informed the members of the Halas League (part of the old RSFF leagues) that he will be leaving the hobby for family and personal reasons. Not too many people in this faceless hobby that have conducted themselves with as much class and dignity.
Hiya -Wow! A correction is needed. I informed the Halas League and several others that I was retiring as a league member for family/personal reasons. However..., my interest in FF strongly continues. I will remain very active in hosting YouthFantasyFootball.com and as the league coordinator at GridironGrumblings.com.

All is well, with me, I'm just desiring to be more focused with fewer obligations. I'm tired, friends. Just old fashion physically tired.

However..., my interest in FF strongly continues. I will remain very active in hosting YouthFantasyFootball.com and as the league coordinator at GridironGrumblings.com.
great news! :thumbup:

Terry Cannon.

We're gonna miss him. TC informed the members of the Halas League (part of the old RSFF leagues) that he will be leaving the hobby for family and personal reasons. Not too many people in this faceless hobby that have conducted themselves with as much class and dignity.
Hiya -Wow! A correction is needed. I informed the Halas League and several others that I was retiring as a league member for family/personal reasons. However..., my interest in FF strongly continues. I will remain very active in hosting YouthFantasyFootball.com and as the league coordinator at GridironGrumblings.com.

All is well, with me, I'm just desiring to be more focused with fewer obligations. I'm tired, friends. Just old fashion physically tired.
Good to hear, TC. Sorry for posting misinformation. My error entirely. Glad to hear you're still going to have a presence in the hobby. :thumbup:

Terry Cannon.

Good to hear, TC. Sorry for posting misinformation. My error entirely. Glad to hear you're still going to have a presence in the hobby. :thumbup:
Math skills <> reading comprehension skills :P

Terry Cannon.

Thanks for the clarification TC. I am glad to hear you will stay involved. Sometimes you have to pull back a little in order to keep it enjoyable. Also, I know my son is looking forward to playing in your youth fantasy league. :thumbup:

Some of the biggest names that influenced me:

Ian Allen, Fantasy Index Magazine - This turned me onto the game many years ago.

Jim Lenz, Fantasy Insights - This was the first fantasy football website I saw. Although it had some good stuff, I thought so much more was needed. It gave me the motivation to learn HTML and throw my name into the ring.

Bob Harris - It's hard to mention fantasy football without mentioning the contribution that Bob Harris made to this landscape. His dedication to news and quality writing is the gold standard that we all try to live up to many years later. He helped put mrfootball.com on the map and was a solid contributor for Footballguys.com for many years.

Joe Bryant, Owner Footballguys.com - I still remember the spirited debates he and I had on rec.sports.fantasyfootball regarding Value Based Drafting. Back in the day he was also the co-founder of FanEx. His vision regarding a daily email update, a free message board, free around the clock news continues to frame what has become Footballguys.com

Greg Kellogg, Terry Cannon and the rest of the FanEx crew - They brought us the premier experts league as well a great analysis draft that kicked off the season. Although I eventually wore out my welcome at FanEx, I have a lot of respect for Greg and TC.

Tony Holm - His Prognosticator column helped put mrfootball.com on the map. He continues to do good work with Fantasysharks.com

KFFL team of Ryan Bonini and William Del Pillar - They set the bar on fantasy news real high. For the longest time, Footballguys.com avoided the news as we knew it would take a huge commitment to be on par with what KFFL was doing.

Emil Kadlec - He gave me a chance to write for his many fantasy publications. He continues to lead in that category as well as co-owning the WCOFF.

Sam Kaplan - He helped secure a lot of dollars for me when I sold mrfootball.com to Fanball. This money allowed me to learn ColdFusion database programming and gave me the opportunity to partner with Joe Bryant.

Steve Waldron - Formerly of FFEndzone - Steve was a quality guy and a great writer. He was part of Footballguys.com for a bit until he had health problems. I was always a huge fan of his website FFEndzone

David Dorey and Whitney Walters, The Huddle - They were the first to have a huge message board while the rest of us looked on. They continue to be a popular website for many FF enthusiasts.

John Hansen, The Guru Report - I have huge respect for quality material. John puts together some of the best material on the web (not found at this site).

Doug Drinen - His ability to manipulate data (and write some of the best articles ever in FF) remains a driving force behind what we are trying to do at Footballguys.com. He is possibly the smartest person I have ever met in my life.

Mike Hall - MyFantasyLeague.com - Possibly the nicest person in the hobby. His dedication to creating a quality league management system goes un-noticed by many in the hobby.

Greg Alan - 4for4.com / FFTOC - Greg is a talented person and works very hard in this industry. His websites continue to explore new areas in this hobby.

Bruce Henderson - I remember the day he sent me a bunch of screen shots of a concept he had. After opening it, I was dumbfounded as to how cool this potential app could be. About a month later, he had a full version of the first Draft Dominator. I have never seen a better programmer in all my life. He has been able to take my cryptic notes and create works of art.

Bob Henry - I had huge respect for his work even before he joined our team. He and John Norton ran Redeye Sports (a niche site that was packed with quality material). I still smile when I got the phone call telling us he would like to merge Redeye Sports with Footballguys.com.

Our staff - It's hard to group all of these guys together. We have hand-picked virtually every one either from the boards, previous work submitted, people emailing us, etc. I love what our site has become because of all of these guys. I can't imagine trying to run Footballguys.com like I used to do mrfootball.com (where I did 80% of the work). I don't think any FF company in this business can compete head on with the people we have assembled here. Again maybe I am biased, but these people are the top names in the industry from where I sit.

The Boards - There is enough talent on the boards to run another 15 fantasy sites. Way too many people here to mention, but just look to the survivor contests, the deep threads on players and you will know who we are talking about. These people have contributed greatly to the hobby and provide a fresh perspective.

I am sure I am missing many people. I am an oldie in this industry and have seen it take many forms. I still can't believe I am able to do this for a living. It really is a dream come true.

Users who are viewing this thread