What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is Thad Lewis? (1 Viewer)

Lmao.....

I was in the process of starting a thread with this exact title.

As a Spiller owner who was horrified by Tuel's performance last Thursday I'm curious to see what a practice squad QB can do with this opportunity.

ETA- Looks like he got a start for Cleveland on New Year's Eve last year. Anybody recall that game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised they didn't go hard after Freeman. Hell, Brett Favre may even be a better option at this point.

Lewis has bounced around the NFL the past few years, mostly on & off practice squads. He started a game for the Browns last season. He went 22-32 for 204 yards & a TD vs the Steelers who were the #1 Defense in the NFL at the time. No idea what to expect, probably a very conservative game plan. One thing I know for sure, he can't be any worse than Jeff Tuel was on TNF.

Freeman made no sense for the Bills. Manuel is only out a month, and Freeman would need a few weeks before he'd even be ready to start. There's also no reason to potentially create a QB controversy when you just spent a high first round pick on your QB of the future, who is doing well. Buffalo knows they aren't contending this year, if they lose all their games while Manuel is out, better draft pick.

He was a pretty solid QB at Duke.
He was definitely solid at Duke and put up consistently good numbers. I don't think he's got much of a future in the NFL as more than a backup, but he's certainly a more viable starter than Jeff Tuel at this point. Lewis has been in the Bills system since week 4 of preseason...Bills traded a backup LB to Detroit for Lewis after Kevin Kolb suffered what may well be a career-ending concussion.

He got extended playing time in the Bills final preseason game (oddly enough, against Detroit). He didn't look amazing, but he looked much better than Matt Leinart, who was his competition. Leinart was cut and they signed Lewis to the practice squad as the #3 behind Jeff Tuel.

I really think Lewis is getting a 3-4 week tryout to be EJ Manuel's backup for the future. If he flops, look for a veteran backup to be signed in the offseason.

Anyone know how mobile this guy is? I'm curios because I want to know how likely the Bills will be to continue calling all of the read-option plays with Lewis that haven't worked at all with Manuel and Spiller...

Anyone know how mobile this guy is? I'm curios because I want to know how likely the Bills will be to continue calling all of the read-option plays with Lewis that haven't worked at all with Manuel and Spiller...
He can move a little in the pocket, but read-option isn't his game. Ran a 4.84 at the combine.

St. Louis Rams[SIZE=small][[/SIZE]edit]

Lewis signed with the Rams as an undrafted free agent soon after the 2010 NFL Draft.

Cleveland Browns[SIZE=small][[/SIZE]edit]

The Cleveland Browns claimed him off of waivers on September 4. Lewis was later waived by the Browns on October 11, 2012. He was signed to the practice squad on October 13, 2012. He was again added to the Browns active roster December 24, 2012 after injuries to Brandon Weeden and Colt McCoy.[4] He made his first career start when the Browns took on the Pittsburgh Steelerson December 30, 2012 and completed 22 of 32 passes for 204 yards with one touchdown and one interception, though the Browns were defeated 24-10. [5] This performance is one of particular note due to his strong performance against the first ranked defense in the NFL during the 2012 season.[6]

Lewis was waived by the Browns on May 22, 2013.

Detroit Lions[SIZE=small][[/SIZE]edit]

The Detroit Lions claimed him off waivers on May 28, 2013. He looked to compete with 2012 UDFA, former Heisman finalist from Boise State, Kellen Moore for the 3rd quarterback position.

Buffalo Bills[SIZE=small][[/SIZE]edit]

On August 25, 2013, the Buffalo Bills traded linebacker Chris White for Lewis, due to the mounting quarterback injuries for the Bills.[7] He was released on August 31, 2013 and signed to the practice squad September 1. On October 7, 2013, coach Doug Marrone announced on WGR Radio 550 that Lewis was promoted to the active roster from the practice squad and will start Week 6 against the Bengals over undrafted rookie Jeff Tuel.[8]

Its only because Manuel is looking at an extended absence that I even put brain cells into this guy, but given he is probably a starter in fantasy for almost half of our season (if the ~6 week timeline for Manuel is accurate), what are we to expect from Mr. Lewis?

Bye week filler?

Total waste of time?

Hey, how did that guy get 21 fantasy points?

Take your shots....

Its only because Manuel is looking at an extended absence that I even put brain cells into this guy, but given he is probably a starter in fantasy for almost half of our season (if the ~6 week timeline for Manuel is accurate), what are we to expect from Mr. Lewis?

Bye week filler?

Total waste of time?

Hey, how did that guy get 21 fantasy points?

Take your shots....
I like that he plays for an offensive-minded head coach and that he excelled in college, not just with his arm, but with brains and decision making. I also like the offense playmakers around him when they are healthy. A lot of them aren't now, however.

I HATE his upcoming schedule before the bye and after the bye Manuel should be back, so this is probably all you have to work with and it isn't pretty...

Cin

@Mia

@NO

KC

@Pit

NYJ

Pass. (for now)

Apparently he's supposed to be terrible because I'm pretty sure the line on this game would be 3.5 tops with Manuel and Byrd/Gilmore coming back.

The stat line from that Pittsburgh game is pretty much what Manuel has been doing this year though. I kinda think +7.5 is crazy value for a home dog. :shrug: :homer:

He wasn't awful in that lame duck week 17 game last year. Can move a little, wasn't afraid, seemed to lose confidence as the game went on though. He could really use Stevie.

Hate to say it, because I'm pulling fo the Bills and their fans, but this is probably a decent shot for Pittsburgh to get its first win.

I also think this can't be good for Jackson and Spiller.

Hate to say it, because I'm pulling fo the Bills and their fans, but this is probably a decent shot for Pittsburgh to get its first win.

I also think this can't be good for Jackson and Spiller.
does not compute.
Ha, you're right, I've got Geno Smith on the brain. Also, Lewis played Pittsburgh last year. Waking up.

:doh:

Maybe I need to frame this in the form of a question: what does this do for/against FJax/Spiller?

My initial impression is considering Glennon in TB & Martin that it may not ding them somewhat at least this week. Lewis has been on the practice squad for about a month so it's not like he's off the street though.

Also maybe the Bills run Spiller and Jackson all day, so maybe it works for them.

The line surprises me too, I am going to rewatch the pre-season game.

The Bills are a MUCH tougher D at home than on the road, their line is playing very well and they are getting back two probowl level defenders in the secondary.

Plus THE LEGEND

Looks like a lot of value as a big home dog.

My question is what does this mean for Stevie/Woods. Is he just a dink and dunk guy? Does he have the arm and mindset to throw to the wide receivers or is he just going to be throwing to the backs and tight ends?

Cindy has a pretty strong run defense, and if he can't keep the front seven honest it's going to be a really tough day for the Bills

Ruh roh. Found this on line

OVERVIEW

Lewis has been an extremely effective quarterback for Duke over the past four years and has done a good job of maintaining a quality touchdown-to-interception ratio. He understands the offensive scheme and is a good game manager, but his arm strength is marginal and his accuracy, especially on the deep throws, can be erratic at best. He is athletic and can extend the pocket and does a good job of squaring his shoulders to make the throw when on the move. He does a good job of protecting the football and does not force many throws. He will struggle when he needs to add some zip on his throws to squeeze the ball through small windows but has enough going for him to make you think he could catch on as a backup at the next level.

Also mentioned that he is short and has to wind up to release the ball. Looks like I'll be starting Marlon Brown over any Bills receiver

Ruh roh. Found this on line

OVERVIEW

Lewis has been an extremely effective quarterback for Duke over the past four years and has done a good job of maintaining a quality touchdown-to-interception ratio. He understands the offensive scheme and is a good game manager, but his arm strength is marginal and his accuracy, especially on the deep throws, can be erratic at best. He is athletic and can extend the pocket and does a good job of squaring his shoulders to make the throw when on the move. He does a good job of protecting the football and does not force many throws. He will struggle when he needs to add some zip on his throws to squeeze the ball through small windows but has enough going for him to make you think he could catch on as a backup at the next level.

Also mentioned that he is short and has to wind up to release the ball. Looks like I'll be starting Marlon Brown over any Bills receiver
If you are worried about how dinking and dunking will affect Stevie and Woods, you really wouldn't see too much variance from the games with Manuel as Manuel has done pretty much the same through the first 5 games.

He can move a little in the pocket, but read-option isn't his game. Ran a 4.84 at the combine.
He is absolutely a read-option QB. He seems to be much better with his legs than his arm. Vid below is the only extended action he got in preseason, edited for just his pass/run plays. This was only 2-3 days after he signed with Buffalo, so he was learning on the fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eIWu45CRszM

He is absolutely a read-option QB. He seems to be much better with his legs than his arm. Vid below is the only extended action he got in preseason, edited for just his pass/run plays. This was only 2-3 days after he signed with Buffalo, so he was learning on the fly.

No, he's not. I watched him play 4 years at Duke. That was not his game. His rushing totals by year were:

2006: (-74)

2007: (-148)

2008: 96

2009: 48

If Buffalo is trying to do read-option with him, it will fail.

No, he's not. I watched him play 4 years at Duke. That was not his game. His rushing totals by year were:

That didn't stop them from trying it with EJ.

Did you watch the video? Most plays he ran were read-option.

Not saying I think he's suited for it, but regardless what he did at Duke, that's what I foresee happening in Buffalo.

Resident A said:
Rick James said:

Did you watch the video? Most plays he ran were read-option.

Not saying I think he's suited for it, but regardless what he did at Duke, that's what I foresee happening in Buffalo.
That video is not exactly reassuring.

It looks like he comes in down 21-0, then it's 28-0, then 35-3, they end up losing 35-13.

He goes 7/16/132/1/0. He did run 7/51/0 which sounds nice.

79 of the 132 came on a TD pass to Easley when down 35-6 in the last half of the last 4th quarter of the preseason.

A couple of the throws at least it looked like he was hanging his receivers out to dry there.

He threw a good number of deep balls. The pass to Easley was pretty.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330829002

But he had been with the team just a day or two at that point. the Bills did trade for him.

That preseason game was ugly. He threw one nice deep ball, but a LOT of bad passes.

He was under a fair but of pressure, the line has been playing well so he might have a little more time.

I wouldn't have high hopes for Bills WRs this week, they might hit a deep ball but not sure I would count on it.

I would LOVE!!!! If they would get the ball to Spiller and Chandler more in the passing game which should be safe throws for Thad.

Who is Thad Lewis?

He's the symbol of this whole freaking season for the Bills. He's a reminder of the bad decisions the organization has made. He's a reminder of the mind bending bad luck that has amplified those bad decisions by a million. He's a symbol of the kick in the nuts Bills fans receiver every season.

Who is Thad Lewis?

He's the symbol of this whole freaking season for the Bills. He's a reminder of the bad decisions the organization has made. He's a reminder of the mind bending bad luck that has amplified those bad decisions by a million. He's a symbol of the kick in the nuts Bills fans receiver every season.
So by you putting that out there, I'm sure the fantasy gods will channel their inner Jim Kelly this weekend and he goes for 300/3.

Who is Thad Lewis?

So by you putting that out there, I'm sure the fantasy gods will channel their inner Jim Kelly this weekend and he goes for 300/3.
Only because at this point it'd just be an even bigger screwjob by costing them a higher draft pick.

Who is Thad Lewis?

I don't fault the Bills' decision making process on the QBs they brought in (other than maybe the Manuel pick itself). They brought in a veteran that had shown some talent with Kolb - who actually looked pretty good in the preseason until the concussion. Tuel also looked good enough in the preseason to the point where they had to keep him on the roster (that wasn't necessarily a bad problem to have). And Kolb's injury occurred so late in the preseason that adding another veteran QB at that point would have been problematic not only because he was never going to have time to adequately learn the system, but also because that would have meant another active roster spot - something the Bills didn't have with the huge number of other preseason injuries they were dealing with.

That video is not exactly reassuring.

It looks like he comes in down 21-0, then it's 28-0, then 35-3, they end up losing 35-13.

He goes 7/16/132/1/0. He did run 7/51/0 which sounds nice.

79 of the 132 came on a TD pass to Easley when down 35-6 in the last half of the last 4th quarter of the preseason.

A couple of the throws at least it looked like he was hanging his receivers out to dry there.

He threw a good number of deep balls. The pass to Easley was pretty.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330829002

But he had been with the team just a day or two at that point. the Bills did trade for him.
I was at that game. It was a joke from the start. Matt Leinart started and got basically booed off the field against the Lions 1/2 defenses, and Lewis played mostly against the 3s and 4s.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the scoreline. The Bills looked like they had stopped trying before the game even started.

He wasn't awful in that lame duck week 17 game last year. Can move a little, wasn't afraid, seemed to lose confidence as the game went on though. He could really use Stevie.
Yep. He looked competent. I expect a decent outing.

The line surprises me too, I am going to rewatch the pre-season game.

The Bills are a MUCH tougher D at home than on the road, their line is playing very well and they are getting back two probowl level defenders in the secondary.

Plus THE LEGEND

Looks like a lot of value as a big home dog.
FWIW the line is down to 6 as of this morning. I doubt the $ that came in on the Bills was square/public $. +7.5-8 was a big sharp play for sure.

start bengals D!!!!!!
Licking my chops with the Bengals D. This guy is terribly inaccurate. The Bengals strength is their front 7 so that doesn't bode well for the Bills being able to grind it out on the ground.
I don't necessarily disagree but the Bills have faced nothing but stout 7's in every game so far.

Rotoworld:

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that Thad Lewis (ribs) is expected to play in Week 9 despite Wednesday's missed practice.
PFT allows Lewis may also miss Thursday's session, but he's fully expected to start over Jeff Tuel and Matt Flynn against the 8-0 Chiefs. Coach Doug Marrone has already stated E.J. Manuel (knee) will not be playing this week.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Thad really got pounded by the Saints on Sunday, I mean bad.

He's missing practice now.

Gutsy, talented, smart guy and he has really made a place for himself in the League, and he's gonna play I take it, but the Chiefs may have him down and out by the first half.

Users who are viewing this thread