What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the best team in the AFC after 13 weeks? (1 Viewer)

Who is the best team in the AFC after 13 weeks?

• Bengals

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Broncos

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Jets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Patriots

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • Ravens

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • Raiders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steelers

Votes: 43 31.4%
  • Texans

Votes: 17 12.4%
  • Titans

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Fensalk

Footballguy
Results from week 12

Still a lot of teams bunched up but let's see if opinions have changed after another week of play.

Results:

#1 Steelers 43 votes (31%)

#2 Ravens 38 votes (28%)

#3 Patriots 28 votes (20%)

#4 Texans 17 votes (12%)

#5 Broncos 9 votes (7%)

#6a Bengals 1 vote

#6b Titans 1 vote

#8a Jets 0 votes

#9 Raiders 0 votes

Last edited by a moderator:
Patriots are probably the best team even though their defense is what could earn them an early exit. If they can find a way to slug it out with the defenses like the Ravens and Steelers, it would be high scoring potential SB with Green Bay. I voted for the Patriots as being the "best team". But I think either the Steelers or Ravens will take them down in the playoffs.

I might be biased but it's extremely hard to beat a team 3 times in a season......

That sayin', I want no part of the Pats in the playoffs. And really....who wants to play against Tebow?

I'm liking the Steelers....especially if they get a bye.

'Black&Gold said:
I might be biased but it's extremely hard to beat a team 3 times in a season......That sayin', I want no part of the Pats in the playoffs. And really....who wants to play against Tebow?I'm liking the Steelers....especially if they get a bye.
Since the merger in 1970, there have been 19 examples of a team trying to beat another team for the third time in a season. The team has finished the sweep 12 of those times, including the Steelers vs. the Ravens a couple of years ago.The Ravens beat the Steelers twice, beat the Texans with Schaub, beat the Bengals and beat the Jets.Most important, since the debacle at Seattle, where Rice got 5 carries and Flacco threw 52 times, they've recommitted to the running game. In the last 3 games, Rice has carried 20, 21, and 29 times for 367 yards. Flacco has thrown 27, 23, and 23 times, and been sacked only twice. The Ravens are starting to hit their stride -- if they win out, they'll be the #1 seed in the AFC. At home, they're 6-0.

'Ministry of Pain said:
Baltimore and Pittsburgh and since Baltimore has beaten them twice I'll say Baltimore
My thoughts as well, as a Steeler fan. Hate admitting it but I've got to give Balt. the proper respect for sweeping us in the regular season.

'Black&Gold said:
I might be biased but it's extremely hard to beat a team 3 times in a season......That sayin', I want no part of the Pats in the playoffs. And really....who wants to play against Tebow?I'm liking the Steelers....especially if they get a bye.
Since the merger in 1970, there have been 19 examples of a team trying to beat another team for the third time in a season. The team has finished the sweep 12 of those times, including the Steelers vs. the Ravens a couple of years ago.
:goodposting: Teams that have won the first two meetings in a season complete the sweep if they meet for a third time more often than not. There are still four games left but the Steelers will likely have to win out and the Ravens are going to need to stumble at least once for the Steelers to finish ahead in the AFC North. This is certainly possible but I don't think it is probable which means a third meeting would be in Baltimore where the Ravens are very tough. Things may change but as of week 13 I gotta go with the Ravens right now...

'Black&Gold said:
Since the merger in 1970, there have been 19 examples of a team trying to beat another team for the third time in a season. The team has finished the sweep 12 of those times, including the Steelers vs. the Ravens a couple of years ago.
:goodposting: Teams that have won the first two meetings in a season complete the sweep if they meet for a third time more often than not. There are still four games left but the Steelers will likely have to win out and the Ravens are going to need to stumble at least once for the Steelers to finish ahead in the AFC North. This is certainly possible but I don't think it is probable which means a third meeting would be in Baltimore where the Ravens are very tough. Things may change but as of week 13 I gotta go with the Ravens right now...
The difference in this year's scenario, however, is that the rubber match may very well be played at the field of the team which has lost the two regular season games. Week 15, Stillers at San Francisco looms very large. Little Brother could do Big Brother a big favor.

'Black&Gold said:
The difference in this year's scenario, however, is that the rubber match may very well be played at the field of the team which has lost the two regular season games. Week 15, Stillers at San Francisco looms very large. Little Brother could do Big Brother a big favor.
In order for this to come into play the Ravens have to lose. I am not sure I see a loss here:vs Colts (0-12)@ Chargers (4-7)vs Browns (4-8)@ Bengals (7-5)

I still vote Patriots. I don't think their defense is as bad as people say.
I'm a Patriots fan, and even I think the defense is completely awful at times. It's weird though, they have a very "Jekyll & Hyde" aspect to them. Some weeks, they don't give up many points and look like a tough, fast, talented, fearsome squad. Then, the next week they'll just give up 400 to Vince Young and then 350+ to Dan Orvolovsky. How this happens... I don't understand.

'Black&Gold said:
In order for this to come into play the Ravens have to lose. I am not sure I see a loss here:vs Colts (0-12)@ Chargers (4-7)vs Browns (4-8)@ Bengals (7-5)
I think Ravens fans are a little nervous about San Diego (Rivers has had some huge games vs. Baltimore) and very nervous about needing to win at Cincy, which has been a house of horrors for them, in Week 17. Week 17 could be fascinating -- it's very realistic that if the Ravens enter that game at 12-3, they could be the #1 seed if they win (they hold the head-to-head tiebreaker over Houston, would hold the Common Opponents tie-breaker over the Patriots) but could drop all the way to #5 if they lose.In the NFC, it's looking like SF and NO are going to meet in the divisional round, with the winner advancing to play Green Bay. In the AFC, two teams out of the Ravens-Steelers-Patriots mix are headed for a divisional round match-up, with the third team feeling fortunate to play whoever emerges from the South/West/#2 Wild Card gang. Houston was tough, but the loss of Schaub (and maybe AJ again) knocks them down a big step.And not to be a hater, but I think either Pittsburgh or Baltimore would feast on Tebow.

Steelers homers are the most blind fanbase on the planet.

The Ravens beat them. Twice. Yet they are leading the poll?

:rolleyes: :towelwave: :rolleyes:

I think what the Texans did with a rookie 3rd string QB, losing their all-pro WR, and their RB sick with the flu, against a playoff-caliber Falcons team, is about as impressive as it comes. Fully healthy, they are the clear #1. Too bad the one year they have it on both sides of the ball they get nailed with injuries.

Ravens are the best currently, but this conference feels like the NFC of a few years ago - a revolving door at #1.

'Black&Gold said:
I think Ravens fans are a little nervous about San Diego (Rivers has had some huge games vs. Baltimore) and very nervous about needing to win at Cincy, which has been a house of horrors for them, in Week 17. Week 17 could be fascinating -- it's very realistic that if the Ravens enter that game at 12-3, they could be the #1 seed if they win (they hold the head-to-head tiebreaker over Houston, would hold the Common Opponents tie-breaker over the Patriots) but could drop all the way to #5 if they lose.In the NFC, it's looking like SF and NO are going to meet in the divisional round, with the winner advancing to play Green Bay. In the AFC, two teams out of the Ravens-Steelers-Patriots mix are headed for a divisional round match-up, with the third team feeling fortunate to play whoever emerges from the South/West/#2 Wild Card gang. Houston was tough, but the loss of Schaub (and maybe AJ again) knocks them down a big step.And not to be a hater, but I think either Pittsburgh or Baltimore would feast on Tebow.
GB Godsbrother, this is what I meant -- here in Crabtown (scratches self) we don't share your confidence that the home team will run the table, though it will be interesting to see how they respond with the pressure of the Stillers breathing down their necks every week. We can easily see the Ratbirds dropping one (The_Man is absolutely correct about the Bengals matchup Week 17) so we would very much like to see the Niners step up and give Baltimore another game's cushion. That's the only foreseeable possible (emphasis on possible) loss left for Pittsburgh.

You mean the defense that, in the past two weeks, has given up a combined 753 passing yards to Vince Young and Dan Orlovsky?
Funny how the Pats 32nd ranked pass defense gets lambasted while the Packers and their 31st ranked pass defense are locks to win the SB. Net total yards from scrimmage: GB +1350, NE +1370.I'm not saying the Pats are all that, only that the Packers and Patriots have similar resumes. The only difference is the Pats have been playing some street free agents lately.

You mean the defense that, in the past two weeks, has given up a combined 753 passing yards to Vince Young and Dan Orlovsky?
I just find it hard to believe that it is not common knowledge by now that Belichick doesn't care about yards on defense. He plays a bend-but-don't-break defense. His teams typically give up yards but not points. We had this debate in the Shark Pool back like 8 years ago, and it still comes around again. Belichick is only one of the greatest coaches of all time. You'd think people would know his style by now.Belichick has also always favored the old Detroit Lions offense that heavily favors passes the the TE. Belichick coached tight ends and wide receivers for the Lions in the 1970s. That's why he coveted Kyle Brady so much in the draft in the early 1990s to the point where he traded down out of pure frustration once the Jets picked him one spot ahead of him. That's why he keeps drafting TEs. That's why the offense stars Gronk.Belichick coached TE Charlie Sanders of the Lions. Hall of Fame inductee in 2007. That had a serious impact on his style.

Steelers homers are the most blind fanbase on the planet.The Ravens beat them. Twice. Yet they are leading the poll? :rolleyes: :towelwave: :rolleyes: I think what the Texans did with a rookie 3rd string QB, losing their all-pro WR, and their RB sick with the flu, against a playoff-caliber Falcons team, is about as impressive as it comes. Fully healthy, they are the clear #1. Too bad the one year they have it on both sides of the ball they get nailed with injuries.Ravens are the best currently, but this conference feels like the NFC of a few years ago - a revolving door at #1.
The question isn't, "who has the best record" or "who is likely to get the #1 seed", it's "who is the best team?" The way I answer these questions is to ask myself, "if you could pick one team to win the AFC; if you're right, you get to live and if you're wrong, you get shot, who would you pick?" If that were the case, I'd probably pick the Steelers this year. Wouldn't have been the case many other years. I don't think (with Houston's injuries) that I'd even consider anyone but Pittsburgh or Baltimore, and despite the Ravens' two wins over Pittsburgh so far, if they meet again in the playoffs, I'd pick the Steelers no matter where the game is. They have the edge in big-game experience. I'd certainly give the Ravens way more than a puncher's chance (and would expect them to be favored in BAL) but with a gun to my head, I'm taking Pittsburgh.

'Black&Gold said:
If there's one thing we can count on, it's Baltimore losing a game it shouldn't. I'll go with @San Diego.

Steelers homers are the most blind fanbase on the planet.The Ravens beat them. Twice. Yet they are leading the poll? :rolleyes: :towelwave: :rolleyes: I think what the Texans did with a rookie 3rd string QB, losing their all-pro WR, and their RB sick with the flu, against a playoff-caliber Falcons team, is about as impressive as it comes. Fully healthy, they are the clear #1. Too bad the one year they have it on both sides of the ball they get nailed with injuries.Ravens are the best currently, but this conference feels like the NFC of a few years ago - a revolving door at #1.
The question isn't, "who has the best record" or "who is likely to get the #1 seed", it's "who is the best team?" The way I answer these questions is to ask myself, "if you could pick one team to win the AFC; if you're right, you get to live and if you're wrong, you get shot, who would you pick?" If that were the case, I'd probably pick the Steelers this year. Wouldn't have been the case many other years. I don't think (with Houston's injuries) that I'd even consider anyone but Pittsburgh or Baltimore, and despite the Ravens' two wins over Pittsburgh so far, if they meet again in the playoffs, I'd pick the Steelers no matter where the game is. They have the edge in big-game experience. I'd certainly give the Ravens way more than a puncher's chance (and would expect them to be favored in BAL) but with a gun to my head, I'm taking Pittsburgh.
Fair enough. But if it's true that the only 2 options are Pittsburgh and Baltimore (which I agree with) then wouldn't it be really helpful, what with your life in the balance and all, to have some data to help us pick between the two teams? I mean, some direct way of comparing to see who is better? You can't just go with your homer gut with your future in the balance, can you?Oh wait, there is. Head to head game. Baltimore, 2. Pittsburgh, 0.

In the AFC, two teams out of the Ravens-Steelers-Patriots mix are headed for a divisional round match-up, with the third team feeling fortunate to play whoever emerges from the South/West/#2 Wild Card gang. Houston was tough, but the loss of Schaub (and maybe AJ again) knocks them down a big step.
I think we have a repeat of 2010. Pats get the #1 seed. Jets will get the 6 seed and knock off TJ Yates and Houston. Jets-Pats, Steelers-Ravens.

Fair enough. But if it's true that the only 2 options are Pittsburgh and Baltimore (which I agree with) then wouldn't it be really helpful, what with your life in the balance and all, to have some data to help us pick between the two teams? I mean, some direct way of comparing to see who is better? You can't just go with your homer gut with your future in the balance, can you?Oh wait, there is. Head to head game. Baltimore, 2. Pittsburgh, 0.
So, then I guess Seattle is a better team than Baltimore. After all, head to head game, Seattle 1. Baltimore 0.With a gun to my head, I assure you, homer-ism isn't entering the equation. That week 1 game was a butt-kicking, but week 1 has very little to do with how teams are playing now. The Bills and Lions looked like world beaters much more recently than week 1 and now neither team may make the playoffs. The game a few weeks ago is much more representative of these two teams, and the game was decided with :30 left. They're very evenly matched and in an instance like this (a playoff game), I typically take the team that's been there and won before. Steelers have been to the Super Bowl 3 times in the last 6 years. Ravens have time and again come up just short when they have needed that one big win. That's got nothing to do with being a homer, it's just where I'd put my money in that spot. I'd take the Patriots over a healthy Houston team with a gun to my head for the same reason, even though Houston (with Schaub and Johnson) are probably a more complete and overall talented team than this year's Pats. And I hate New England.

Just as I don't want the Steelers to see the Pats although they took it to them this year already....the Ravens don't want to meet the Steelers in the playoffs. Until you get the monkey off your back, it's still there. The Ravens know they can't beat the Steelers in the playoffs as the Steelers can't beat the Pats.

'Black&Gold said:
Since the merger in 1970, there have been 19 examples of a team trying to beat another team for the third time in a season. The team has finished the sweep 12 of those times, including the Steelers vs. the Ravens a couple of years ago.The Ravens beat the Steelers twice, beat the Texans with Schaub, beat the Bengals and beat the Jets.Most important, since the debacle at Seattle, where Rice got 5 carries and Flacco threw 52 times, they've recommitted to the running game. In the last 3 games, Rice has carried 20, 21, and 29 times for 367 yards. Flacco has thrown 27, 23, and 23 times, and been sacked only twice. The Ravens are starting to hit their stride -- if they win out, they'll be the #1 seed in the AFC. At home, they're 6-0.
:goodposting: If the Texans still had Schaub, I'd be on them - but they don't, and though Yates was competent in his first start he isn't a veteran with the experience to deal with playoff-level football. I'd say Ravens>Steelers>Texans>The rest

Fensalk, while Belichick might like a bend but don't break-style defense, it is not true at all that his defenses always give up lots of yards, but not a lot of points. They've been a top 10 defense (in yards allowed) five of the last nine years (and were 11th one of the other years). And when he was the DC for the Giants and Jets, his defenses frequently were a top 10 defense in yards allowed.

Having said all of that, I'd still take the Patriots as the best right now. Despite their leaky defense, they do create turnovers, and while Brady and the offense stunk it up in the last two playoff games, I think they'll turn it around this time around.

Baltimore and Houston don't have the quarterbacking to make me consider them the conference's best right now.

Pittsburgh is up there, but they never beat Belichick's Patriots in the playoffs, so if they are gonna make the Super Bowl, they had better pray that someone else beats New England. Pittsburgh caught a break in 2005 and 2010 when NE was knocked off by someone else in the divisional round and in 2008 when Brady's injury kept NE out of the playoff altogether. Because if the Steelers and Patriots play in January, it doesn't matter where the game is played: the Patriots will win.

'Black&Gold said:
I agree that its extremely hard to beat a team 3 times in a season. However, when predicting the future you only need to look at what needs to be done(not what has already been done).For example, you would never say "I think Green Bay loses this week against Oakland because its extremely hard to win your first 13 games of a season" or "I don't think Cam Newton will have another rushing touchdown this season because its extremely hard for a QB to rush for 14+ TDs in one season."

'Black&Gold said:
I'll add in that not only are they 6-0 at home, but they have a +80 PD in those 6 games despite having a pretty tough home schedule so far(Pit, NYJ, Hous, Ariz, Cincy, SF)

If the Patriots achieve the impossible by defeating the Tebows two weeks from now, are they a lock for #1?

Edited the date. :ph34r:

1. If they meet in the playoffs, it'll most likely be in Baltimore2. You say "Baltimore would be favored in BAL"3. But then you say you'd take the Steelers to win if your life was on the line.So are you saying that you disagree with the super efficient market that sportsbooks and sharp sports bettors create? You think your personal views are more accurate than that market?
So, then I guess Seattle is a better team than Baltimore. After all, head to head game, Seattle 1. Baltimore 0.
There are plenty of other things to look at other than head-to-head:Points scored: Balt 296, Pit 268Points allowed: Balt 192, Pit 195Strength of Schedule: Balt 1.0, Pit 0.8SRS: Balt 9.6, Pit 6.8DVOA: Balt 21.3, Pit 20.7
With a gun to my head, I assure you, homer-ism isn't entering the equation
I agree that if an actual gun were to your head, then your homerism would be likely to disappear. However going on a message board and saying "If I had a gun to my head I would pick _____" does not extinguish homerism at a similar level.
That week 1 game was a butt-kicking, but week 1 has very little to do with how teams are playing now.Steelers have been to the Super Bowl 3 times in the last 6 years. Ravens have time and again come up just short when they have needed that one big win. That's got nothing to do with being a homer, it's just where I'd put my money in that spot.
So week 1 = too long ago to be meaningful, but....A super bowl 6 years ago = something we can definitively use as evidenceReally? And you aren't being a homer at all with this type of logic?

Just as I don't want the Steelers to see the Pats although they took it to them this year already....the Ravens don't want to meet the Steelers in the playoffs. Until you get the monkey off your back, it's still there. The Ravens know they can't beat the Steelers in the playoffs as the Steelers can't beat the Pats.
Or maybe, just maybe, theres a ton of variance in a single elimination playoff, and you're bound to get certain teams that will lose 3, 4, 5, or even more straight playoff games against another team just due to random luck/variance.

If the Patriots achieve the impossible by defeating the Tebows two weeks from now, are they a lock for #1?Edited the date. :ph34r:
If all the Big 4 win out, IIRC the Pats hold none of the tiebreakers. So if the Pats finished tied with BAL or PIT, the AFC North winner will be ahead of NE. HOU would also likely hae the tie breaker based on strentgh of victory. So Pats would need the Texans to lose to get a bye. NE should be considered the least likely to win the #1 seed at this point.

I don't see how anyone can say, right now, that the Steelers are better than the Ravens when the Ravens beat the Steelers twice already.

However, that won't matter in the playoffs. If they play, no matter where it is, it'll be a hard fought game that's decided by turnovers and who makes the big plays in the fourth quarter.

I think the Steelers have a great chance to finish the year 13-3. The Ravens control their own destiny for the #1 seed, but I believe they'll be be challenged on the road in San Diego and they have to finish up with a divisional road game in Cincinnati.

I don't think the Patriots or Texans without Schaub are on the same level this year.

In the AFC, two teams out of the Ravens-Steelers-Patriots mix are headed for a divisional round match-up, with the third team feeling fortunate to play whoever emerges from the South/West/#2 Wild Card gang. Houston was tough, but the loss of Schaub (and maybe AJ again) knocks them down a big step.
I think we have a repeat of 2010. Pats get the #1 seed. Jets will get the 6 seed and knock off TJ Yates and Houston. Jets-Pats, Steelers-Ravens.
That would be a great matchup, Jets and Houston. Two teams with great defenses, 1 with a rookie QB and the other with a QB who still plays like he's a rookie. ;)

Or maybe, just maybe, theres a ton of variance in a single elimination playoff, and you're bound to get certain teams that will lose 3, 4, 5, or even more straight playoff games against another team just due to random luck/variance.
It depends. If a team loses 3, 4, 5 or more straight playoff games against another team, and each game was very close and one key play changed the outcome, you have a point. But if one team just outright dominated the line of scrimmage all day for 5 playoff meetings, then no I think one team is clearly better.

1. If they meet in the playoffs, it'll most likely be in Baltimore2. You say "Baltimore would be favored in BAL"3. But then you say you'd take the Steelers to win if your life was on the line.So are you saying that you disagree with the super efficient market that sportsbooks and sharp sports bettors create? You think your personal views are more accurate than that market?
So, then I guess Seattle is a better team than Baltimore. After all, head to head game, Seattle 1. Baltimore 0.
There are plenty of other things to look at other than head-to-head:Points scored: Balt 296, Pit 268Points allowed: Balt 192, Pit 195Strength of Schedule: Balt 1.0, Pit 0.8SRS: Balt 9.6, Pit 6.8DVOA: Balt 21.3, Pit 20.7
With a gun to my head, I assure you, homer-ism isn't entering the equation
I agree that if an actual gun were to your head, then your homerism would be likely to disappear. However going on a message board and saying "If I had a gun to my head I would pick _____" does not extinguish homerism at a similar level.
That week 1 game was a butt-kicking, but week 1 has very little to do with how teams are playing now.Steelers have been to the Super Bowl 3 times in the last 6 years. Ravens have time and again come up just short when they have needed that one big win. That's got nothing to do with being a homer, it's just where I'd put my money in that spot.
So week 1 = too long ago to be meaningful, but....A super bowl 6 years ago = something we can definitively use as evidenceReally? And you aren't being a homer at all with this type of logic?
Yes, I think Baltimore would be favored at home, and yes, I would still pick the Steelers outright. The books aren't necessarily trying to predict the outcome, they're trying to predict where money will land. They're also wrong all the time.Week 1 was something of a fluke (but certainly counts the same, not taking anything away from Baltimore) and I don't think it's particularly relevant in terms of how the two teams are playing right now. The fact that the Steelers have won the AFC 3 times in the past 6 years is not relevant to how the teams are playing right now either, but could factor into a playoff game because success breeds success. The Steelers' players, by and large, have more big-game experience and more of a culture of winning, and with two teams this evenly matched, any intangible could make the difference.

Serious question, Evilgrin: how many players from the 2005 Steelers are still on the team?
Not sure, but off the top of my head, Roethlisberger, Ward, Miller, Farrior, Polamalu, Hampton, Foote, Taylor, Starks were all starters on that team. 8 of those 9 are still starters and the 9th (Foote) still plays a very significant number of snaps. That's damn near half the starting lineup that has been to 3 Super Bowls. Would have been 10 if Aaron Smith hadn't gotten hurt.

Steelers aren't quite as good this year as they've been in the past few years. Defense is a step slower, doesn't force as many turnovers. And the Ravens are a little bit better than they've been -- their defense is clearly better this year than last, with Pagano replacing Mattison as Defensive Coordinator. Plus Torrey Smith gives them a threat they didn't have before. So I'll go with the Ravens. With Grubbs back at LG and getting healthier, and the offense recommitted to feeding Rice the ball after the Seattle and Jacksonville 5-carry debacles, they're starting to hit their stride.

Users who are viewing this thread