What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who was your first ever (1 Viewer)

H.K.

Footballguy
The year was 1993, my first round, first ever draft selection was....John ElwayThat first draft was sooo different than how things are run today, we had one NFL preview magazine that was passed around the room with practically each selection. We were just a bunch of guys who hung out after work. We kepts stats on an excel spreadsheet and just used total points from a made up scoring system, there was no H2H. Now everyone shows up with carefully prepared notebooks containing cheatsheets & depth charts, along with a FF mag for last second verification on bye week scheduling. Hey, its the off-season, time to reminisce as we look to next year......

Last edited by a moderator:
The year was 1993, my first round, first ever draft selection was....John ElwayThat first draft was sooo different than how things are run today, we had one NFL preview magazine that was passed around the room with practically each selection. We were just a bunch of guys who hung out after work. We kepts stats on an excel spreadsheet and just used total points from a made up scoring system, there was no H2H. Now everyone shows up with carefully prepared notebooks containing cheatsheets & depth charts, along with a FF mag last second verification for bye week scheduling. Hey, its the off-season, time to reminisce as we look to next year......
Are you sure you are not me? ha ha.. My first year was 1993 and my first pick was Elway also. I wish I could have that pick back however as he was outscored by many picked after him. I remember he was rated so high that year because they picked up Anthony "The Bust" Miller. I drafted Miller as well and lived to regret it.

I can't remember the year exactly, but it was 8 or 9 years ago. 12th pick of 12 teams. Jeff Blake with Terrell Davis on the turn.

Warren Moon - back in '90 or '91, I forget which. I learned a very simple lesson that year - drafting a QB early is wrong. I've made plenty of other mistakes, but at least that's one I've never made again!

1989 - Randall Cunningham. He worked out well for me. Our scoring system based points on how long a TD was, and that was doubled for QB's who ran the ball in.

Are you sure you are not me? ha ha.. My first year was 1993 and my first pick was Elway also. I wish I could have that pick back however as he was outscored by many picked after him. I remember he was rated so high that year because they picked up Anthony "The Bust" Miller. I drafted Miller as well and lived to regret it.
Yep, I remember that....I also had Rod Bernstein on my roster at one point, too!

Warren Moon - back in '90 or '91, I forget which. I learned a very simple lesson that year - drafting a QB early is wrong. I've made plenty of other mistakes, but at least that's one I've never made again!
warren moon in 1992...bottom of 1st round in 8 team league of first timers. took rice on the turn, immediately traded them for 1st overall pick emmitt smith...won league.it took a couple failures to really learn the high QB rule, but i finally did.

I think it was '93. Went with Barry Sanders in round one. Used the strategy that I still use to some extent today, RBs early, QBs that benefit from a system late, which back then meant drafting Warren Moon or Bobby Hebert (in this case, Hebert) in the later rounds. Gotta love reminiscing about the run and shoot and red gun offenses in a FF context!

1998 -- Marshall FaulkWell, I'm not sure actually, because it was a Sandbox autodraft league.But my QB was Bledsoe, my RBs were Faulk and Natrone Means (I picked up Fred Taylor as soon as James Stewart went down), and my WRs were Joey Galloway and Ed McCaffrey.So looking at it that way, it had to be Faulk, right?(By the way, I traded him and Taylor for Terrell Davis. :wall: :wall: The guy with whom I made the trade went from 3-4 to the league winner. After trading Edge for Terrell Davis in 2000, I learned my lesson: never trade for your favorite player.)

1996 - Scott Mitchell ...... :wall: :wall: :wall: (followed by Herman Moore, and then Eddie George)after 2 rough years, went on to win 4 out of the next 5 championships in that leagueWas in a league a couple years before that, but a 6 man fantasy league doesn't count in my book (guys that I lived with in college).

2000 -- Brad Johnson. D'oh, I know. I managed to win my league with the pickup of Kordell Stewart (!) in the final week.

The year was 1994. 6 teams, I had #1 then in round 2 had #12. #1 was Marshall Faulk and #12 was Brett Favre. I won my SuperBowl that year. :P

1988 - Jerry Rice. He was on the tail end of his consecutive games scoring a touchdown record.2nd round pick was Eric Dickerson followed by Neal Anderson. QB injuries killed my playoff chances though as I went through 3 different QBs in the first 3 weeks of the season.

1990-Neil Anderson. We had a whopping four teams that year. My lineup included Warren Moon, Jim Everett, Jim Kelly (never played), Neil Anderson, Bobby Humphrey, Gary Clark, Andre Rison, Andre Reed, John Taylor, Brent Jones and Mike Cofer. I started out killing everyone until my RBs slowed down, and I learned early you need good RBs and RB depth to win it all (which I finally put into practice 12 years later for my first title win).

1994 - Emmitt Smith (21 TDs that year) Pretty good...it's just too bad I followed it up with Michael Haynes in the second round. :rant:

1994 ~ Emmitt Smith in THE year of Emmitt Smith.Smoked all but one team in my league. (Porkins, I hate you!) :cX:

1992- Rodney Hampton 8th overall. Someone took Chip Lohmiller ahead of me. I ended the year with the Marks Bros as my 2 WR. Ouch.

1993 - Pete Stoyanovich :eek: Boy were we all raw in those days.Followed that up with Dan Marino in Round Two.Made the final in that first year :excited: amazingly enough.We have all got a lot wiser since then :D :D

98 or 99 Moss 3rd overall in keep 5 league. I have won the title in that league 3 times with 4 straight division titles.

1988:I had second overall pick and took R.Cunningham (got double points for QB rushing TD's). Joe Montana went first overall.In the second or third round I took Henry Ellard and third or fourth I took Greg Bell. We also drafted individual defensive players and I got Erik McMillen (NYJ) and he ran back three or four INTs or Punt Returns that year at 25 points a pop.Those four players carried me to a runaway Championship in my first FFL season in the PI Days (Pre-Internet). In those days the USA Today and Sporting News were just about the only periodicals with any Fantasy information at all. :football: :football: :thumbup:

1999 - Jamal Anderson. I was asked three days before the draft to take over for an owner who didn't have time for the league. I was given an old magazine and ended up with the first overall pick. :wall:

1987. I took Eric Dickerson. He had 1800 yards+ the year before and was THE stud runningback as his 2105 year was only 2 years prior. He had a decent year for me...but only scored like 6 or 7 TD's all year. Not the player I thought I had drafted. Although, it is still better than the year I drafted Dalton Hilliard in the first round. He had 18 or 19 TD's and close to 2000 total yards the year before. Then, he hopped onto my team and slapped me with an injury and 1 TD the whole year.

The year was 1993, my first round, first ever draft selection was....John ElwayThat first draft was sooo different than how things are run today, we had one NFL preview magazine that was passed around the room with practically each selection. We were just a bunch of guys who hung out after work. We kepts stats on an excel spreadsheet and just used total points from a made up scoring system, there was no H2H. Now everyone shows up with carefully prepared notebooks containing cheatsheets & depth charts, along with a FF mag last second verification for bye week scheduling. Hey, its the off-season, time to reminisce as we look to next year......
Make that 3 of us...1993, John Elway followed by Terry Allen...the glory days!

Warren Moon, 4th pick... we screwed around making a 6 tm league and the guy picking 6th was sooooo peeved he got the last pick (which was Emmitt Smith, shucks) he named his team the 6th pick superstars. lol..

1989-Dan Marino :thumbup: 'nuff saidThat was the early days, before the internet and the glut of magazines. There were just a couple on the market back then. Man everything was so new and unknown. As a matter of fact, after I picked Dan tha Man, Morton Andersen (NO) went next and another k went in the 1st rd. How times have changed. :D

Hall of Famer... Barry Sanders, 1997 I think. I won our league, but it wasn't because of Barry...it was because of a one of my low round picks named, Kordell Stewart.

1989-Dan Marino :thumbup: 'nuff saidThat was the early days, before the internet and the glut of magazines. There were just a couple on the market back then. Man everything was so new and unknown. As a matter of fact, after I picked Dan tha Man, Morton Andersen (NO) went next and another k went in the 1st rd. How times have changed. :D
Great wasn't it? I mainly used a book by Cliff Carpentier, I think his name was. He even devolped the book cover curse where every player he put on the front had a bad year. And just about every single player on the local team (DC in this case) was taken since they got the more press than anyone else. Oh for the good ol days of having to do the scores manually by going through box scores in the newspaper and printing reports out on a dot matrix printer.

Don't remember the year ... but it was James Brooks of the Cincinnati Bengals ... followed by another Bengal in the third round ... Eddie George.Oh yeah, and I won the league!!!Can't say I have had many Bengals on my roster since.Edited to add: Oh yeah, Cliff Carpentier was da man! He used to have a gold book ... a book mind you, not a magazine. I remember one year even paying an additional $12 to get updates snail-mailed to me during training camp.

1990, with the 3rd pick I took Barry Sanders. Along with him were Andre Reed, Andre Rison, Anthony Miller, Randal Cunningham and Morten Andersen, I don't remember my defense. 2nd running back was a problem all year long, I had a couple of youngsters on the bench by the names of Emmitt Smith and Rodney Hampton - but both were rookies and not much use that year. At one point I had to pick up Tony Paige from the waiver wire to start at rb 2 - he scored that week.It took a last second field goal on Monday Night by Morten in our super bowl to win the league for me, which actually was his second attempt at the field goal - his first attempt was blocked but there was a penalty on the Rams so he got another shot. Champs!I was one Warren Moon quarterback sneak from having an unbeaten season that year, the first year of that league's existance.True story.

About five years ago, I went with my brother to his draft. I had never done FF, didn't really know much. I convinced him to burn his first round pick on Curtis Enis, because (as a big ten fan) I was convinced he'd be a star.THe first pick I ever made on my own team was Deuce McAllister, which worked out a bit better.

Terrell Davis, 1999, #3 overall. I thought I was the luckiest man alive since he was the landslide choice as consensus #1 pick. Didn't turn out that well though.

1997--I picked 10th and 11th and ended up with Jeff Blake and Curtis Martin--Neither ripped it up that year, but I drafted incredible depth and eventually lost in our Championships. Sad to say, but to this day, it was my best draft ever!!! :no:

Oh yeah, Cliff Carpentier was da man! He used to have a gold book ... a book mind you, not a magazine.
GDB Cliff Charpentier - I bought one of his books in 1995 and drafted Leroy Hoard as a result. Hoard had his only pro-bowl year in 1994 with over 1300 yards and 9 TD's and I thought I had a steal as I drafted him pretty late, and Hoard gave me a 12 game 600 total yard zero TD season. Never bought any more of Cliff's stuff after that :D !

Users who are viewing this thread