What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who was your first fantasy pick ever (1 Viewer)

It was 21 years ago. I was invited to replace a dropout two nights before the draft of a 14 team league, yardage only scoring. I bought a Street & Smiths and hand wrote a list on wide carriage (green & white) computer print out paper (NKA Cheat Sheet). I didn't know how the draft thing really worked. As luck would have it, I had no time to sit back a learn. I drew the #1 pick. I went for what I thought was a safe choice: Jerry Rice. The equally clueless guy drafting at #2 took Mark Duper. It was the league's first and only WR run to occur in the first round.

Ended up trading Rice for RB and TE help. Lost out on making the playoffs by on tie breaker. In the twenty seasons that have followed I have never been short on RBs.

Of course, I was hooked. Founded my own league the next year. If there are any leagues running continuously for more than our 20 years, I'd like to hear about them.

Good topic, especially for those of us who have been playing for a while.

My first year in College (1990) I hooked up with a bunch of guys for a league. I picked with my heart (1st mistake) and took the Nigerian Nightmare, Christian Okoye he went nuts in 1989 but in 1990 when I drafted him he was a flop and Barry Word took over late in the season.

Thus my first draft pick was a BUST

First year - selected Jerry Rice in the 1st and then Steve Young in the 2nd.. Won the league the first year with those two generating a lot of the points..

I have not won since and its been a bunch of season.. should have quit after year one :lmao:

Terrell Davis. He seemed to work out pretty well. A bunch of us had never played before and formed a league with 10 teams. I had pick 1.09. Everybody before me took QBs - remember NONE of us had ever played before. A guy even took S. Humphries with the 5th overall pick!! (It was the year after SD got beat in the Super Bowl.) So my pick comes along and all the QBs I wanted were gone, so I regrettably took TD. Wound up 3rd that year, but won the league a year or two later with TD and a rookie named Fred Taylor who I picked up on the waiver wire. I still have my Broncos hat from that time. Memories!!

Good topic, especially for those of us who have been playing for a while.My first year in College (1990) I hooked up with a bunch of guys for a league. I picked with my heart (1st mistake) and took the Nigerian Nightmare, Christian Okoye he went nuts in 1989 but in 1990 when I drafted him he was a flop and Barry Word took over late in the season.Thus my first draft pick was a BUST
Hey, I drafted Okoye ninth overall two years AFTER you did in my first FF experience. Looking back at his career stats, he apparently had a bit of a rebound year in 1991, leading me to the inescapable conclusion he would be awesome.

1990 Randall Cunningham first overall. I think RAIDERNATION made the same pick. He lasted less than one game. I remember my mom telling me that some boy was on the phone laughing wildly about two minutes after it happened. To this day, I don't think she understands the whole concept (of course, it's my wife that has to put up with it now).
I agree with this guy.

William Green in 2003

I thought I had done my homework. He averaged over 100 rushing yards in over 24 carries a game his final 7 games in 02. Along with 5 tds in those games.

I think you guys know how that one ended up.

I took I believe Harrison in the 2nd, and then Dillon in the 3rd...where half way through Rudi went bananas, I was able to get Rudi off waivers and Duckett after Dunn went down. Ended up being the best team the final 4 weeks of the season, still only managed to take the consolation bracket.

Vinny Testeverde in '99 (go figure.....). Blown ahcilles with only 97yards passing. Worked out though. I picked up some newbie named Kurt Warner that no one drafted and he took me to the Championship game. ;)
That wasn't my first year but that happened to me but the kicker is that my keeper was Terrell Davis who also blew out his knee in week 1. Still won the championship. :thumbup:

1996 - drew a late first round slot and after analyzing my newspaper stats from the previous year decided on CuMar - in his (i think) 2nd year @ NE.

Won the league drafting off the stat list when many others didn't have much cheat sheet / magazine wise.

1993 - Amp Lee.

Was running late for the draft and a buddy made the first 6 picks for me (Emmitt Smith, etc.). Sat down for round 7, looked in my magazine and saw that Amp Lee had 4 TDs the year before. :thumbup: A bad pick to be sure and the draft went downhill from there

In 1988, went Elway-Esiason on the turn of a ten-team total points league. It was a start two QB league with a scoring system that tended to favor QBs (bonuses for long TDs, 6 pts for passing TDs). Our third QB was Chuck Long :thumbup: but we got lucky on a rookie RB named Thurman Thomas.

Back in those days, nobody really knew what they were doing.

Picking last in my first year was 1994... Barry Sanders, and immediately picked up Pete Stoyanovich. I still won that year as a rookie. It was a strange league that awarded 1 point per yard of TD run/REC. Barry covered up my kicker mistake in the second round..

Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
Curtis Martin - 2003

I had no clue what I was doing after the first round. I was taking Defenses and QBs way to early. A total disaster.

My 1st FF pick was 3 or 4 years back ... I had #5 pick, and I landed up getting Shaun Alexander because the guy who was #4 took Ahman Green. That was the year Green got injured I think. I won my league but this was despite drafting Vick #2 (this was the year Vick came back after his injury), Santana Moss #3, Koren Robinson #4.....I made some great WW picks that year (Kerry Collins being the biggest one). I just stopped playing Vick, inserted Kerry in my line up and won my league by going on a tear in the playoffs. I had the Bears D too ... before they were known much

2000 Marshal Faulk at #5. Yes, it panned out quite well with 2100 yds and 26 tds.

#1 overall was Peyton Manning.

#2 was a big surprise, Ron Dayne.

#3 was Eddie George because that owner didn't draft players who played their home games on artificial turf.

#4 was Edge

And I got my #1 overall ranked player at #5. I also got Isaac Bruce, Daunte Culepper, and Tory Holt in the 3rd, 5th and 7th rounds.

I still have a starting line up from my 1986 team on paper...

Gerald Riggs - was my 1st round pick.

My best pick though was Jerry Rice, he went nutso as my #2 WR. "Championship"

Also, there were lots of QBs gone by the end of round 2. About a dozen for the 16 teams.

1st -- Herschel Walker;

2nd -- Warren Moon;

Others -- Ozzie Newsome, Fuad Reveiz (all I can remember).

It was either 94 or 95...I was in a co-owned team. The first guy we got was Natrone Means

I believe he led the league in TD's that year.

As best I can recall my first team included Jay Schroeder(after his big year in Wash), Gerald Riggs, Stanley Morgan, Wesley Walker and Steve Jordan. My team wasn't very good that year.

Edit to say: Now that i think about it I believe my RB was John Riggins not Gerald Riggs.

-- 1991... i think -- the commish had been in a league before and the other 9 of us were newbies. we all submitted to him 14 self-addressed stamped envelopes so he could mail out the results/standings each week.

first few picks were like: Marino, Elway, Cunningham, Moon... i picked #7, and the best six QBs were gone, so i had to settle for Jim 'machine gun' Kelly as my QB (and #1 pick overall in my life)

the commish picked at the #8 spot he says to all of us (dripping with sarcasm) 'you know... since you guys have picked all the good QBs first, i'm going to go out on a limb here, and with my first pick i'm going to take a running back...' and he chooses Emmitt Smith.

i really don't think it even occurred to any of us until that moment that choosing a position other than QB first was a good way to build a FF football team. He then went on to pick up Barry Sanders after the turn. I got Andre Rison with my second pick.

Another crazy thing looking back is that Ben Coates (who was the Gates of the day) went completely undrafted, and the commish picked him up off the waiver wire about five minutes after the draft ended.

Now that I think about it the WW was really messed up back then-- it was first-come first-serve but you had to go thru the commish to use it.

For example:

*ring* *ring*

commish: "Hello?"

me: "Yeah, i want to pick up this 'Fav-Ray' guy"

commish: "Who?"

me: "Umm... Fav-Ray? the backup QB for the Packers? Here it is: 'Brett Fav-Ray' The USA Today shows he did a pretty good job filling in when Don Majkowski went out on Sunday..."

commish: (pausing a second) (papers shuffling) "Ohhhh... Ummmm... Sorry guy... I just picked him up about an hour ago."

me: (after an short pause) "Um, OK... well I'll call you back in a few cause I need to pick up another QB"

commish: "Well, I can trade you Fav-Ray"

Years later after speaking with the some other owners in that league I found out that my 'WW bummer' was fairly typical occurrence for them too.

The shady commish won that total points league by more than DOUBLE the score of the next closest team. Literally, he could have not submitted a lineup after week 8 and still beat us all.

BUT the good news is--- Even though i never played in THAT league again: I was hooked.

To this day I smile a little whenever I get a glimpse of Jim Kelly's comb-over.

My first year playing FF was 2005. My first draft was done via e-mail and I got the #4 overall pick. Out of the first three picks, 2 were QB's. I, like many a newbie, felt the need to draft a QB (had done no research or planning and we started in early August). With Peyton gone, the next best QB I could think of was Trent Green (had a good year in '04 with 4,591 yds & 27 TD's).

So that's right, my first overall pick was Trent Green in 2005. He proceeded to throw only 17 TD's in a TD heavy league and I finished 7th out of 10.

I was in 2 more leagues that year and did some research before both of those drafts. My first picks in those two leagues were Tiki and Alexander. I won them both.

I'm now officially hooked on FF.

My first pick was Jerry Rice way back in 1995.

122 catches

1848 yards

16 touchdowns

Not bad....although I bricked the pick because Emmitt Smith was still available when I picked and he got.

1773 yards

25 touchdowns

Kind of funny looking back. The first pick that year was none other than Drew Bledsoe. The picker was a die hard Packer backer. Did I mention Brett Favre won the league MVP that season?

7 years ago.

Greg Clark, TE, 49ers

It was a 2nd or 3rd round pick in a dynasty league I was in and taking over a team in.

It was embarrassing. My 1st fantasy football draft. I'm surprised they let me stay in the league.

Cant remember my first pick, but I did take over a team in a keeper league (my first) 6 or 7 years ago. Two of my keepers were Duce Staley and Robert Smith - yes when he retired.

my first pick was YA Tittle....I believe George "Pat" Sumerall lead me to championship that year with clutch kicking :lmao:

Actually I believe my first pick was Edgerrin James at #2...It was also the year he got injured about halfway through the season

First year - selected Jerry Rice in the 1st and then Steve Young in the 2nd.. Won the league the first year with those two generating a lot of the points..I have not won since and its been a bunch of season.. should have quit after year one :yes:
Sounds a lot like my first season in 1995 in a TD only league. I had the #2 pick and the #1 pick took Steve Young (he got hurt) and I got Emmitt's 25 TD season. I almost didn't join the league as I was much younger and $300 for fantasy seemed like a lot at the time. I ended up winning it all and won more than $1300, so I was glad I did it. I ended up also drafting Pickens (17 TDs), Erik Kramer (30 total TDs), Anthony Miller (14 TDs), and Curtis Conway (12 TDs). I also had some decent bench players like Brett Perriman (9 TDs).Probably the best draft pick I made was Derek Loville. No one had any clue who he was and I just replied he is the starting RB for the 49ers. He had 13 TDs and in the rest of his career, his best was 4 TDs. Even in the fantasy magazines that year (imagine that that was pretty much your only source :hifive: ), he was listed as "SF 49ers RB" in the ranking.For a FF novice in a 10 or 12 team league (can't remember since the league died after year 1), I had the #4 QB, the #1 and #5 RB and the #1, #4 and #8 WR as my starting lineup. There was one other guy who had almost as good a team as I did and we ran away with almost every $100 weekly prize and the 1st place and 2nd place pots. I have won my other league since then, but this was easily my best team, draft and $$$ and I doubt I will ever repeat since it was almost a perfect storm and I was pretty much in the running for the weekly prize every single week.

My first pick ever was Fred Taylor at #7 in 2000. He was to miss the first 2-3 weeks with a knee problem. Then I teamed him with a rookie named Culpepper I got in the 3rd round. Was sweet winning the championship my first year....havent won it since!

I think it was Thurman Thomas, 1989. All-guppy league in Houston, the first five picks went Scott Norwood :football: , Mike Cofer, Gary Anderson (all kickers), Troy Aikman, and Deion Sanders.

I remember it well....do I ever.

It was in 1998, and although I was a huge football fan, I really knew nothing about Fantasy Football....and I had 2 days to prepare for the draft.

The choice seemed easy to me -- in 1997, Kordell Stewart had thrown 21 TD's and rushed for 11. So -- with the second pick in the draft!!!! -- I picked up Kordell Stewart. And in case you don't remember, he threw 11 and rushed 2 that year.

My team, um, wasn't too good that year.

Not something that I'm proud about but I had a later pick and grabbed Ricky Ervins. It was like 1991 and I thought he was going to be great. I grabbed Jim Kelly on the way back.

Mark Rypien in 1990. Took him with the No. 2 overall pick after Jerry Rice was taken No. 1.

I was a total guppy. I didn't know a thing about fantasy football and there were no websites or other magazines to really use as resources back then.

I cringe when I think of that pick now but also realize how far I have come since then.

1996, 12-team standard performance scoring redraft league. I'm drafting at the 1.06.

I've read up on VBD and am all geeked on, taking my first crack at VBD numbers and using them literally, how much value the great Carl Pickens has at that spot. :lmao:

So I nabbed him at 1.06, paired him with Herman Moore at 2.07, and away I went! My starting RB's that year were Greg Hill and Larry Centers. :X

Oh, and the player who went at 1.07? Terrell Davis. :bag:

Users who are viewing this thread