What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be the starting QB for Tampa this year? (1 Viewer)

?

• Josh Johnson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brian Griese

• Byron Leftwich

• Luke McCown

• rookie draft choice - Josh Freeman

• other - not currently on the roster

• Total voters

Norseman

Footballguy
After seeing many differing opinions in the Leftwich signs with the Bucs thread, I wondered what was the concensus of the Shark Pool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lefty is now "Raheem's guy". He's the guy Raheem went after and brought in. Lefty will be the starter. I wouldn't hold out hope for any of the Gruden leftovers to ever be significant.

Byron will be the stop gap until Raheem either drafts someone or trades for a QB he wants.

I don't think Leftwich would have signed when there are still teams that need a QB unless he was told he'd at least be able to compete for the job.

None of the above? LOL

I dont like any of them! I say they get someone else? Via trade or whatever? Still a lot of cap space!!

Yeesh, not in love with any of them. I'm dead serious when I say that I fully expect all of these QB's to start 2-4 games during the season, at some point they will all be hitting the bench. The only person that won't be in this hot/cold rotation will be the guy that gets cut before the regular season and I'm thinking that's going to be Griese.

Yeesh, not in love with any of them. I'm dead serious when I say that I fully expect all of these QB's to start 2-4 games during the season, at some point they will all be hitting the bench. The only person that won't be in this hot/cold rotation will be the guy that gets cut before the regular season and I'm thinking that's going to be Griese.
I agree. Flawed poll should include, QBBC as an option.This team is going to stink.

Voted McCown, because I think he starts the MOST games this year.

I could see Lefty winning it, McCown takes over, and if the Bucs are out of it, Josh Freeman starting the last few games.

Call me crazy but I think people are going to be surprised by McCown this year. He may come on like O'Sullivan in SF last year with hopefully a better ending to the season. McCown has an arm and can move in the pocket which is what he will have to do. He has been around a good while so he knows the NFL game. They are installing a more traditional offense this year with more PA off of a solid running game likely. The addition of Winslow as a security blanket for a new starting QB is a great luxury. I don't see Lefty as Morris' guy but just "another guy" to push for the job and is more indicative of their concerns for what is behind McCown than McCown himself. We will see but the Bucs have a nice, young line that should give him some time with some decent weapons. This team may surprising compete in the South when everyone has them down for 4 wins in a "rebuilding" project year. Just my .02

I chose Leftwich too, but agree with some of the other guys on the board in saying it'll likely be a QBBC in Tampa. Think SF, 2008. If I were a bettin' man, I'd toss down a couple o' nickels on a prop bet that at least three of those guys will start at least one game and I doubt any will start as many as 10.

That's pure gut feeling with no facts to back it up. Good thing I'm not a bettin' man.

I agree QBBC.

I am curious what updates people have heard on Josh Johnson.

I am not saying he will start, I am just asking for any recent information on him.

I live near Green Bay, and I keep searching for updates on Josh, but I am not finding anything.

Any chance that he might be starting in the next two to three years?

I think Lefty looked good in his limited PT in Pitt last season. I think he wins the job, but like the rest I am sure he isn't the long term solution. I would like to see more of McCown.

I got Leftwich. He was a good starter with the Jags until Garrard was given the job (still a wrong move imo) and was pretty much signed to back up since. He is only 29/30 so he could start for another 5 years. The way his contract works, I say that if he goes 8-8 or better (which I think he can do) the Buc's will simply develop Johnson behind Leftwich. Leftwich has an arguably better offense than he did in Jacksonville and he most definitely has the leadership qualities that a QB needs.

Also consider his possible chips on his shoulders:

A) was bailed on by the Jags

B) couldn't get a real starting job for multiple years

C) got a Super Bowl ring as a backup (time to earn it)

D) this is his last real chance to define his career.

Call me crazy but I think people are going to be surprised by McCown this year. He may come on like O'Sullivan in SF last year with hopefully a better ending to the season. McCown has an arm and can move in the pocket which is what he will have to do. He has been around a good while so he knows the NFL game. They are installing a more traditional offense this year with more PA off of a solid running game likely. The addition of Winslow as a security blanket for a new starting QB is a great luxury. I don't see Lefty as Morris' guy but just "another guy" to push for the job and is more indicative of their concerns for what is behind McCown than McCown himself. We will see but the Bucs have a nice, young line that should give him some time with some decent weapons. This team may surprising compete in the South when everyone has them down for 4 wins in a "rebuilding" project year. Just my .02
I went with McCown and am thinking something along these lines as well.Winslow stated in an interview last week (prior to the Leftwich signing) that McCown was a big reason he chose to join the Bucs. (Of course, you can't argue with that contract either)McCown was with the Browns when Cleveland drafted Winslow. They have some chemistry.

McCowan faired pretty well when pressed into action. Seems like he has a good arm and mobility. I hope he gets an honest shot at starting. We already know what Leftwich has to offer he has met his ceiling.

The starter will be Luke McCown. The Leftwitch deal is basicly a one year $2M deal thats a backup deal. Leftwitch is an upgrade over Greise who will be cut. Leftwitch will be the vetran back up nothing more.

A Rough Day For LeftwichPosted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 17, 2009, 10:03 p.m. EDTBy all accounts, this hasn’t been a great day for Byron Leftwich. As Florio noted earlier (we’re on a last name basis), Josh Freeman is getting closer to contending for the Bucs starting quarterback job.The guys from Pewter Report wrote on their Twitter page that Leftwich has struggled recently in practice.“[He] took many sacks, had errant throws. This guy isn’t leading the QB derby, folks.”They believe that Luke McCown is winning the race. And Freeman’s sudden inclusion into the starting mix doesn’t speak well for either veteran.To add further insult, Leftwich was knocked to the ground by rookie free agent Jarrett Buie, a big taboo in non-contact drills. The quarterback is hands off.Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris was livid and quickly booted the kid out of practice after an “expletive-filled tirade.”Leftwich joked about the incident, but he must feel the pressure. A once-promising career is at a crossroads, and he may not have many good opportunities left to win a starting job.
Leftwich love by media talking heads(ESPN and NFLN) has baffled me. I think McCown starts the year, and Feeeman may end the year.

you dont draft a guy at 17 overall to not play him.

Early in the year it will probably be some ugly Lefty/McCown combo, but ultimately Freeman is starting at years end

Early in the year it will probably be some ugly Lefty/McCown combo, but ultimately Freeman is starting at years end
I actually agree that Freeman sees time before the year's end, but there are plenty of early draft picks that sit their first year.

I actually agree that Freeman sees time before the year's end, but there are plenty of early draft picks that sit their first year.
not qb's that have the kind of dreck in front of him that Freeman does.

Voted Freeman.....don't think he will start week 1 (that'll be McCown) but he will start the most number of weeks in 2009 and ultimately it will be his job to lose.

Carson Palmer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Carson Palmer?
Kitna was serviceable, but McNair sat behind Chris Chandler and worse most of his rookie and 2nd years. Freeman is not NFL ready, if the Bucs aren't in contention, Freeman will probably play the last few games.

(KFFL) Rick Stroud, of the St. Petersburg Times, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers may consider making QB Josh Freeman the team's starting quarterback if he continues to make progress during training camp.

If Freeman is the best QB that Tampa has -- that is not a good sign. He was awful in high school and in college. I don't see him getting any better -- just my opinion.

(KFFL) Rick Stroud, of the St. Petersburg Times, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers may consider making QB Josh Freeman the team's starting quarterback if he continues to make progress during training camp.
May... Consider... If = usually not indicative that a coach intends to make him the starter.
Yeah I don't really know who Rick Stroud is and this is just his opinion.

Nice job by the Pool in this poll here...with Lefty running away with this. :eek:
It could be like Vegas setting a line and the majority of people bet on one side, and they are usually on the wrong side.
:thumbup: I've seen Leftwich play. The only thing they'll win with him is a high draft pick in 2010
Who was he throwing to when you saw him play?
An old Jimmy Smith > A. BryantSeriously?You really want to say Leftwich suffered with bad receivers? He's bad and the WRs on TB aren't any better than what he had in JAX

Nice job by the Pool in this poll here...with Lefty running away with this. :o
It could be like Vegas setting a line and the majority of people bet on one side, and they are usually on the wrong side.
:thumbup: I've seen Leftwich play. The only thing they'll win with him is a high draft pick in 2010
An old Jimmy Smith > A. BryantSeriously?

You really want to say Leftwich suffered with bad receivers? He's bad and the WRs on TB aren't any better than what he had in JAX
That's a good point. I was just going to mention that when he played in Pitt with some pretty good WR's he looked pretty darn good/ But then that hearkens back to your second point in that they have ABryant and a bag of balls at WR in Tampa. Not a huge fan of Freeman and thinking of him as the starter makes me shudder as an A Bryant owner....

Nice job by the Pool in this poll here...with Lefty running away with this. :shock:
:) I've seen Leftwich play. The only thing they'll win with him is a high draft pick in 2010
An old Jimmy Smith > A. BryantSeriously?You really want to say Leftwich suffered with bad receivers? He's bad and the WRs on TB aren't any better than what he had in JAX
Sure, and when Leftwich played with Smith, he did fairly well. Never a stud, but Lefty wasn't as bad as people like to think now from 2003-2005.

I haven't seen any real footage yet, but I can tell you what's going on in the local media and what I've heard from Team employees.

Josh Freeman has been nothing short of impressive. He's picked up the offense relatively quickly, noting the similiarity in the blocking schemes and routes to his KSU O. He's nailed every interview, taking the wide criticism of his pick in stride and with maturity. Doug Williams has become his Tampa 'father'. And Raheem Morris said he would have taken him #1 overall.

I have no doubt in my mind he'll see plenty of time this year...UNLESS...the Bucs start off strong with McCown. But if you've seen the Bucs schedule, they could easily start 0-5.

I think Lefty looked good in his limited PT in Pitt last season. I think he wins the job, but like the rest I am sure he isn't the long term solution. I would like to see more of McCown.
I would agree with this.He did look pretty good in Pit, but PIT has a better offense and a better team overall.I dont think he did badly in Jaxsonville when he was there, but he sure didnt blow the doors off either.I do think he should win the job, but that is not a certainty.... and I'm not sure they really have the personell (other than a decent O-Line) to make a lot of noise in Tampa.Either way, I will reserve my judgement until we get a little further into training camp.

Leftwich is a freaking statue and Freeman didn't even dominate in college plus he is a bad decision maker - How will he deal with a heavy rush and fast DBs? Answer.....Not very good - If JRussell sucks - Freeman will suck more.

TheFanatic said:
Zoomanji said:
You really want to say Leftwich suffered with bad receivers? He's bad and the WRs on TB aren't any better than what he had in JAX
That's a good point. I was just going to mention that when he played in Pitt with some pretty good WR's he looked pretty darn good/ But then that hearkens back to your second point in that they have ABryant and a bag of balls at WR in Tampa. Not a huge fan of Freeman and thinking of him as the starter makes me shudder as an A Bryant owner....
Is everyone writing off Winslow Jr. already?

Users who are viewing this thread