What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who Will Last Longer, Harbaugh or Carroll? (1 Viewer)

Carroll or Harbaugh?

• Carroll

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Harbaugh

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

MrJohn

Footballguy
I have been thinking about this for a while and I really think that Harbaugh will last longer in the NFL as a coach, even though Carroll has all ready made the playoffs. I think once Harbaugh gets a QB that he can work with, the 49ers will turn around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harbaugh has already chased Carroll out of the college. now he will chase Carroll out of the pro game.

"What's your deal?"

:goodposting:

This all depends on who get's his Franchise QB 1st or if at all. That's the prime reason a coach has long term success in this league. Harbaugh has a better chance getting and developing the QB, and will last longer, Carroll is a college coach, not an NFL.

Harbaugh is a superior coach to Carroll in every aspect
Can we let him coach his first NFL game before declaring that? Pete C won multiple national collegiate championships in the same conference that Harbaugh coached in, without any rings (admittedly at Stanford that would've been an even more impressive achievement), and has just won his division and a playoff game in his first year back in the NFL.

Can we let him coach his first NFL game before declaring that? Pete C won multiple national collegiate championships in the same conference that Harbaugh coached in, without any rings (admittedly at Stanford that would've been an even more impressive achievement), and has just won his division and a playoff game in his first year back in the NFL.
He also got his butt whooped multiple times by Harbaugh with VASTLY superior talent. Carroll best ability was as a recruiter. The guy was legendary at that. He is a good coach. What Harbaugh did with Stanford is on another level. Carroll did better than I expected, but I would still put my money on Harbaugh

You mean the guy who led the most dominant team in college over the last decade versus a guy who's biggest acheivement was winning 1 BCS bowl game?
Thats one way of phrasing it. Another would be the guy who cheated his way to loaded rosters full of NFL players who has a losing record to the guy who had to recruit true student athletes to Stanford and won a BCS bowl with them.

Academic standards for Stanford compared to USC says a lot. Carrol will be average at best wherever he coaches in the NFL. Harbaugh could be the next Jimmy Johnson.

This all depends on who get's his Franchise QB 1st or if at all. That's the prime reason a coach has long term success in this league. Harbaugh has a better chance getting and developing the QB, and will last longer, Carroll is a college coach, not an NFL.
This is pretty much it if you don't get a solid NFL Qb you just don't last in the NFL as a coach. The only one I can think of that did for years is Lovie Smith who had Grossman and Orton for his first 6 years before he got even a good QB in Cutler.

Academic standards for Stanford compared to USC says a lot. Carrol will be average at best wherever he coaches in the NFL. Harbaugh could be the next Jimmy Johnson.
I don't like the guy but making the playoffs in his first year and winning the first game tells me he's above average.

My vote was for Carroll. I'm a big Harbaugh fan but for some reason I'm just not a big fan of the situation in San Francisco. I think Pete Carroll did an excellent job in Seattle in his first season. Not the greatest talent in Seattle. He made the playoffs in his first season and won a playoff game. That is just my humble opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely think Harbaugh. Carroll does have more experience and already has a year up on Harbaugh, but I think SF will be more patient in the long run than Seattle, even if they squeaked into the playoffs this year.

I don't like the guy but making the playoffs in his first year and winning the first game tells me he's above average.
I don't like the guy and I think losing more games than you win might tell me he's not above average.

Ultimately, it's hard to tell with any certainty. For a variety of reasons, coaching the college game and pro game is completely different. Many have done well and many have gone down in flames when making the jump back and forth. These two guys are just the next two experiments.

I don't think this holds much water given the division he plays in. I give credit to for the playoff win, but the Saints D was a trainwreck all last season and didn't show for the game. Still, a playoff win against the defending champ has to be recognized.All that to say there are a lot of things that will determine their successes outside of coaching ability. Surrounding themselves with good position coaches, injuries, managing the relationship with the GM and Owner(s), making good draft picks, etc. It is easy to dismiss Caroll because there is a body of knowledge to draw from where Harbaugh is still a relative unknown at the professional level.

I'll go with Harbaugh based on a gut feeling.

Harbaugh on age alone. He's young enough where he could coach 5 years, go to college for another 10 and then be back in the pros again towards the end of his career. This is Pete's last stint in the NFL, it's either going to work for him here or it's over for him.

Most important thing about being a HC is knowing how to motivate and lead a group of rich men with egos. Pete Carroll knows how to do that.

Don't forget that Pete is also the executive VP of the Seahawks. He's not being judged on head coaching alone. This isn't really a fair comparison, IMO.

Oh, and FWIW, I think they'll both be the HC of their respective teams for quite a while. I'd give the nod to Harbaugh because he's just the HC.

I don't like the guy and I think losing more games than you win might tell me he's not above average.

Ultimately, it's hard to tell with any certainty. For a variety of reasons, coaching the college game and pro game is completely different. Many have done well and many have gone down in flames when making the jump back and forth. These two guys are just the next two experiments.
That's fair, but look at his players and try to argue that they would have done better for someone else. Player development is going to be the key here and I'm guessing Harbaugh will do well there. But that's all it is right now.

lets not forget Pete was not a complete failure before as a young nfl head coach many years ago. he had over a .500 record and Robert Craft wept when making the decision to can Carroll. if Carroll had been able to stick a bit longer and inherit Brady who knows how his NFL career would've panned out. Bill wasn't so great before Brady .

saying that, i like Harbaugh's chances alot. i liken the fiery,competitive,cerebral or heady QB's making coaches to the same type of catchers getting the chance to skipper a baseball team.

Users who are viewing this thread