What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who wins the starting RB job in Arizona? (1 Viewer)

Who starts in 2013 at RB for Arizona?

• Ryan Williams

Votes: 85 27.2%
  • Rashard Mendenhall

Votes: 228 72.8%

• Total voters

tdmills

Footballguy
I own both players throughout my dynasty leagues. However, I'm not sure how this is much of a debate.

Rashard Mendenhall or Ryan Williams

Size:

Mendy= 5'10 225

RW= 5'9 207

Age for 2013 season:

Mendy=26

RW=23

Measurables(combine):

Mendy=

40 yard dash- 4.45

Vertical- 33.5

Broad- 9.9

Bench- 26

RW=

40 yard dash- 4.61

Vertical- 40

Broad- 10.3

Bench- 19

NFL Stats:

Mendy=

2012- 52 carries 195 yards 3.6 1 TD, 8 receptions 49 yards 0 TD

2011- 228 carries 928 yards 4.1 9 TD, 18 receptions 154 yards 0 TD

2010- 324 carries 1274 yards 3.9 13 TD, 23 receptions 167 yards 0 TD

2009- 242 carries 1108 yards 4.6 7 TD, 25 receptions 261 yards 1 TD

2008- 19 carries 58 yards 3.1 0 TD, 2 receptions 17 yards 0 TD

RW=

2012- 58 carries 164 yards 2.8 0 TD, 7 receptions 44 yards 0 TD

College Stats:

Mendy=

2007- 262 carries 1681 yards 6.4 17 TD, 34 receptions 318 yards 2 TD

2006- 78 carries 640 yards 8.2 5 TD, 12 receptions 164 yards 1 TD

2005- 48 carries 218 yards 4.5 0 TD, 13 receptions 82 yards 2 TD

RW=

2010- 110 carries 477 yards 4.3 9 TD, 10 receptions 109 yards 1 TD

2009- 293 carries 1655 yards 5.6 21 TD, 16 receptions 180 yards 1 TD

Injury History:

Mendy=

2012 season- Battled an Achilles injury(not a rupture) after returning to action in week 6

Jan 1st 2012- Torn ACL

RW=

Week 5 2012- Injured his Shoulder, which required surgery and ended his season

August 19th 2011- Ruptured his patella tendon in his right knee

2010 season- Missed 4 full games due to a hamstring injury

I don't feel like I know what either guy will look like next year. Too close to call and feel good about it, but if I had to, I'd go with Mendy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opposing defenses?
I agree. I had Beanie 2 years ago and loved the value. This caused me to hang on to Ryan Williams way too long last year. I feel like if you take anyone in the Cards backfield, you will regeret it repeatedly.

Pencil me in as someone who thinks Mendenhall is done and that Ryan Williams will be the back to own (although it's still going to be pretty bad in ARI from a RB perspective).

It's been years since Mendenhall has actually looked like he deserved the workload he was getting, but I can't say I'm excited about Ryan Williams. All the same, I'd take a shot on him since his price will be much lower than Mendenhall.

As someone else pointed out in another thread, Mendenhall's contract make him very cut-able prior to week 1. The starting RB could still not be on the roster right now.

If he's healthy and motivated, Mendenhall should win it. He's the better talent and the much more accomplished player. I thought Williams showed flashes last year, but with just 58 career carries at 2.8 YPC and two season-ending injuries in the last two years, it would be a big stretch to call him the favorite. The fact that Mendenhall was a three year starter under Arians is also a big advantage. There's a history and a level of trust there that doesn't exist with Williams.

Given two completely unknown grab bags, give me the cheaper grab bag. So, whichever one you can get cheaper. But that begs the question of "do you really want either?" Sometimes the best move is to not make a move.

The truths/facts I know in this case are:

Ryan Williams has completely been unable to stay healthy. That does not mean he won't in the future but the short-term fact is he hasn't so...

The Steelers are kicking all the tires on every RB they have seen and they haven't kept any of them around. It always makes me a bit nervous when a team goes from "He is our unquestioned guy, our bell cow, to It was a nice run...bye."

I think for Mendenhall it's all or nothing. Meaning he'll win the starting job or not be on the roster.

I don't expect the job to be handed to any of them. I think it's a true competition and one that Mendy would seem to have a small leg up early on since he's more familiar with the system and the coach with him. So right now I'm of the mindset Mendenhall makes the team and since I've stated he only makes the team if he's the starter that would be where I would lean right now but it's close and really just a crapshoot call. Let's not forget that both players were characterized last year as not being fully back to health so the winner of this battle might simply be the one that gets healthy the fastest.

To echo some of the opinions of others. If I'm drafting right now I'm probaby looking to pick the one that offers the most value, meaning I'm probably not selecting the first AZ RB unless I think I can pull off selecting them both. My guess is Mendenhall would go above RW in most drafts held right now so while I'd lean on Mendenhall as the starter if I was coming out of a current draft with an AZ RB it would probably be Williams.

The "he could get cut" angle has been overblown. Unless they draft a RB in the first 4 rounds, I don't see a scenario in which he's cut in camp barring some kind of injury issue. Even if Williams wins the job, it would be a huge risk to go into the season with him as your #1 and no insurance behind him. You don't want to get into a situation where you're forced to play Powell or Stephens-Howling again. And it's not like Mendenhall is on some monster contract. Worst case scenario barring injury is that he gets 100-150 carries in mop up duty behind Williams/a rookie and is back on the street again next year after they decide to let him walk.

The "he could get cut" angle has been overblown. Unless they draft a RB in the first 4 rounds, I don't see a scenario in which he's cut in camp barring some kind of injury issue. Even if Williams wins the job, it would be a huge risk to go into the season with him as your #1 and no insurance behind him. You don't want to get into a situation where you're forced to play Powell or Stephens-Howling again. And it's not like Mendenhall is on some monster contract. Worst case scenario barring injury is that he gets 100-150 carries in mop up duty behind Williams/a rookie and is back on the street again next year after they decide to let him walk.
I can think of several scenarios. 1) He is as mediocre as he's been the past few years and he tweets something ridiculous about America/Bin Laden 2) He doesn't win the job, pouts like a baby 3) He is mediocre and someone like Bradshaw is available on the cheap after the draft

The "he could get cut" angle has been overblown.
I don't think it's overblown in the least, in fact I think it's under-reported.

Disagree all you want but ask yourself this one question. Why would the Cardinals only be willing to guarantee him $500K? Personally I can only come up with two answers and neither is good for Mendenhall. One is that you offer that small of a bonus for the obvious reason it gives the flexibility of not rostering him. The other reason, which I think is a part of the equation, is relative to the other offers he got that's all they had to offer to get him to sign. But even if that were true and Mendy's market was baren if the Cardinals viewed him as a roster lock why not up the guarantee and lower the base? If he was such a roster lock this makes the most sense for both parties but the fact the Cardinals did not structure it this way again to me is a clear indicator they don't view him as a roster lock but they would rather have the option of not rostering him versus converting saving some money but offering a more guaranteed but slighly lower contract. Again take a look at the other "one year prove it" deals. Most of those players got the majority of their pay guaranteed.

As for Mendy's contract not being a monster. It's not but it's also an extra $2-3 million and while the Cards are not in a bad cap situation that amount probably represents about 25-35% of their available cap space(Just a guess as I had heard they had around $13mill before signing Palmer). They still have to sign their rookies and there still remains usefull talent in FA. Any RB they draft would make less than million next year and if they grabbed someone in the later rounds that number could be barely above the league minimum.

I can't think of a case in recent years where a team signed a RB of Mendenhall's youth and stature only to cut him before the season even started. The fact that he's (allegedly) only guaranteed $500k makes it all the more unlikely. There is virtually no reason at all to cut him at that price if you think he can help your team in any way. The people latching onto the "he could get cut" paranoia are mostly the same critics inclined to view everything related to him through a pessimistic lens.

A player like this who's at an inflection point in his career tests your ability to weigh variables and extract the right conclusions from incomplete information. I think a lot of people are drawing excessively negative conclusions from the data points, but then I'm sure many of them think I'm guilty of the opposite. That's what makes this hobby fun. If all of the cards were face up on the table, there wouldn't be much guess work or strategy left.

I've been a Ryan Williams supporter, but let's face it - while younger he's never proven anything and at the very least the Cardinals brought in a still young former starter. Mendenhall has to be the favorite to win the starting job, whether he is able to keep it is another question.

Yeah, he's not getting cut. He's cheap and they have no depth at the position. I think Mendenhall is just a guy (a position strongly backed up by his lack of value on the open market), but Ryan Williams hasn't even been that since 2009, so for what it's worth (not much in fantasy terms IMO) it's probably Mendenhall's job to lose.

The fact that he's (allegedly) only guaranteed $500k makes it all the more unlikely. There is virtually no reason at all to cut him at that price if you think he can help your team in any way.
This doesn't make any sense. The price is only $500k if they cut him. Otherwise, it's $2.5M.

I have a feeling they draft a RB in the 4th or 5th round and the carries get split much like Ballard/Brown/Carter last year for Indy. Not sure who gets what, but I don't think I want any of them as my RB2. Maybe RB3

As of now, I would pick Mendy, but I think it will evolve more throughout the season.

I was under the impression that he was guaranteed about $500k and that the rest will hinge on incentives. Either way, I don't see what good the cap space would do them in late August if they decide to cut him. The situation could change if they go out and draft someone like Lacy. Based on what we know now, I don't see any way that they cut him unless he gets injured though. He might not win the starting job, but I'd bet on him being with the team for the duration of this season.

Again, I can't think of a recent situation where a team signed a RB of this stature so early in the free agency period only to cut him a few months later. And it's not like they have a lot of options at RB. Ryan Williams was a high pick, but he's done nada through two years. Their other backs are pure filler. Kind of makes sense why they'd want some veteran insurance. If your job was on the line, I don't think you'd feel good rolling with Williams, Powell, and Stephens-Howling as your RB crew.

EBF said:
I can't think of a case in recent years where a team signed a RB of Mendenhall's youth and stature only to cut him before the season even started. The fact that he's (allegedly) only guaranteed $500k makes it all the more unlikely. There is virtually no reason at all to cut him at that price if you think he can help your team in any way. The people latching onto the "he could get cut" paranoia are mostly the same critics inclined to view everything related to him through a pessimistic lens.
When is the last time a back you deem to be of the "youth and stature" of Mendenhall only received a $500K guaranty on the open market?

I would like to clarify a difference between getting cut and not being on the roster. Not being on the roster could involve being released or being traded. The fact is that contract he signed gives the Cardinals all kinds of flexiblity that may have as much to do with how Mendenahll looks in camp as much as it does Williams or a yet rostered RB.

If you believe in Mendenhall, as you obviously do, the only thing that would bother me about the contract would be if their were medicals you are not privy which resulted in his inablity to get multi-year deal or larger guaranty. Other than that if you believe in him the contract would mean very little to me. If he looks good he'll likely either win he Cardinals job or if for instance Williams shined like a diamond Mendy would become a potentially attractive trade bait and one that is easy to move. In short if he's still effective he'll land on his feet somewhere but as it pertains to the discussion of who the Arizona RB is I do think examining his contract is relevant.

Also I'm the peson who first brought up the notion of his contract being something that I think does not secure him a roster spot on Arizona but don't start labeling me as someone who is paranoid or view Mendenhall in a pessimistic manner. The truth of the matter is earlie this off season I tought both Mendenhall and Wiliams were great buy low candidates. I think both are talented young RB's with value that was more depressed in the fantasy community than it should be. I tried to acquire both of them this off season but only acquired Williams in one place and Mendy no where. I felt Beannie was no comp to Williams and Mendy is so him signing there is and remains a disppoint to me. But none of that means that contract is not a giant major red flag to me in terms of Mendy's roster spot and what it might mean about his medicals.

I have a feeling they draft a RB in the 4th or 5th round and the carries get split much like Ballard/Brown/Carter last year for Indy. Not sure who gets what, but I don't think I want any of them as my RB2. Maybe RB3

As of now, I would pick Mendy, but I think it will evolve more throughout the season.
I think it's a much different situation than last year's Colts team. I think a team like the Jets is a better comparison for last year's Colts. A team with no proven bell cow and nothing but spare parts. In that kind of situation, I think it's much more likely that a late round rookie will emerge.

I think it would be tougher in Arizona. It's clear that a lot of people don't think highly of Mendenhall at this point, but if he were entering this draft as a 21 year old prospect, it's highly likely that he would be the first back selected. He was rated higher than any back in the class, even Lacy. So the idea that it's going to be easy for a team to pluck a superior talent out of this crop seems dubious to me.

There are probably only 2-3 backs in this draft who will turn out clearly better, if that. When you factor in that there are 32 teams in the league and that many eventual star backs don't start as rookies, the odds of one of those players landing in Arizona and making an immediate impact are fairly slim. I think they would be wise to add a back on the second or third day for depth purposes. Short of them grabbing Lacy in the top 50 picks, I wouldn't back a rookie to lead this team in rushing this season.

Amazing Ryan Williams is still 22 years old. (23 in 7 days)

He's not done much on the field in almost 4 years by the time the regular season starts.

As down as Mendenhall looked last year, it was still better than Williams last year. I'd heavily favor Mendenhall. I could see the Cards drafting a mid/late RB, but most likely looking at Mendenhall/Williams 1-2.

I think it's a much different situation than last year's Colts team. I think a team like the Jets is a better comparison for last year's Colts. A team with no proven bell cow and nothing but spare parts. In that kind of situation, I think it's much more likely that a late round rookie will emerge.

I think it would be tougher in Arizona. It's clear that a lot of people don't think highly of Mendenhall at this point, but if he were entering this draft as a 21 year old prospect, it's highly likely that he would be the first back selected. He was rated higher than any back in the class, even Lacy. So the idea that it's going to be easy for a team to pluck a superior talent out of this crop seems dubious to me.

There are probably only 2-3 backs in this draft who will turn out clearly better, if that. When you factor in that there are 32 teams in the league and that many eventual star backs don't start as rookies, the odds of one of those players landing in Arizona and making an immediate impact are fairly slim. I think they would be wise to add a back on the second or third day for depth purposes. Short of them grabbing Lacy in the top 50 picks, I wouldn't back a rookie to lead this team in rushing this season.
I agree with you and I don't think if they draft a RB that player necessarily outperforms mendenhall. I just have a feeling the carries will be split more than Arians leads you to believe. I don't see Mendenhall carrying a full load, but that's not based on any fact, just my guess from watching him last year. Williams is very talented and if healthy will contribute. But I don't see him getting a full load either with his injury history.

Also, I see about 12 RBs in this draft that could at least see time as a change of pace back and may get 50 carries or so. I think they could easily get one in the 4th or 5th round. Just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

It really depends what Arians sees. If it doesn't look like Mendenhall looks like he can contribute, maybe the Cardinals draft a back and make him their bellcow.

If they don't draft a back I assure Mendenhall's your guy. Ryan Williams never really stood out to me on tape. I want to like the guy but he kinda fizzled out...

The main thing Arians has said he wants from his RBs is that they block and can run the ball. I think Mendenhall can block. I do not know enough how good Williams is in that area.

Considering that a rookie RB usually has a ways to go as a blocker this could mean that Arians intends for Mendenhall to at least cover that responsibility which will mean he is on the field a lot.

I think Carson Palmer with the quality WRs the Cardinals have will be their bread and butter. The main problem with the offense last season was the pass protection and blocking in general. Arians as well as the ownership has said that one of their goals in this coming draft is to improve their talent on the offensive line. With the QB position taken care of they can now focus their 1st round pick to drafting a quality tackle at pick 7 seems very likely now.

I'd guess that Mendenhall begins the season as the starter and fades in the background to Williams as the season goes on. Williams will get healthier and Mendenhall's issues that caused Pittsburgh to give up on him will surface. Mendenhall will wear out his welcome by sitting out games/pulling himself from games with minor injuries, fumbling at key moments and generally showing that he can't be relied upon when the chips are down and he is really needed.

Whether Williams hangs onto that workload past 2013 will be up to him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...lliams-shoulder-injury-a-blessing-in-disguise

Ryan Williams' shoulder injury a 'blessing in disguise'

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Ryan Williams finally got a chance to take over the Arizona Cardinals' backfield in early October of last season, only to go down with an ill-timed season-ending shoulder injury.

Williams doesn't view the injury as a blown opportunity, however. In an interview with KGME-AM, Williams called the injury a "blessing in disguise" because he still was hovering around 80 percent in his recovery from patellar tendon surgery the previous season. It's an injury that has proven tough for any player to return, much less a physical tailback.

Now feeling better than he has in two years, Williams will challenge Rashard Mendenhall for the starting running back job. Bruce Arians has gushed about Williams since taking over the head-coaching reins.

"I know Ryan can flat run the football," Arians said in February. "I know all about Ryan, and I love him."

Football aside, the most interesting portion of Williams' radio interview came in response to a question about cutting his long dreadlocks.

"I felt like I was gaining female tendencies," Williams explained, noting that he had begun the habit of flipping his hair back. "It started weirding me out. Females do that. I don't want to be some pretty dude."

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

The fact that Mendenhall was a three year starter under Arians is also a big advantage. There's a history and a level of trust there that doesn't exist with Williams.
I agree with this. If Arians weren't there, I'd feel it were much more of a toss-up - especially as the Cards drafted Williams. Arians has a history with Mendenhall, and the Cards went out and got him. For now, the nod goes to Mendenhall.

As a Ryan Williams owners I can't believe anyone is selecting him...its Mendy or someone that is not on the team. That guy was painful to watch and I know they oline problems but even wells look way better when he played.

DoubleG said:
The fact that Mendenhall was a three year starter under Arians is also a big advantage. There's a history and a level of trust there that doesn't exist with Williams.
I agree with this. If Arians weren't there, I'd feel it were much more of a toss-up - especially as the Cards drafted Williams. Arians has a history with Mendenhall, and the Cards went out and got him. For now, the nod goes to Mendenhall.
The nod definitely goes to Mendenhall, but despite Arians knowing him so well they still only gave him a 1 year deal with $500k guaranteed. If Arians was 100% sold on him he would have made sure they locked him up for several years.

Wounded warrior vs. nothing special. It will be mendenhall but rb#3 at best.

DoubleG said:
The nod definitely goes to Mendenhall, but despite Arians knowing him so well they still only gave him a 1 year deal with $500k guaranteed. If Arians was 100% sold on him he would have made sure they locked him up for several years.
Agreed...hence the "For now" qualifier. ;)

Lost in the shuffle is how they could actually compliment each other with Mendenhall getting majority of the work. Arins just wants to throw the ball deep anyway. I tried owning Donald Brown last year and really regretted it. First and ten was always a deep ball. Then Brown would get a stupid carry on 2nd or 3rd n long.

Lost in the shuffle is how they could actually compliment each other with Mendenhall getting majority of the work. Arins just wants to throw the ball deep anyway. I tried owning Donald Brown last year and really regretted it. First and ten was always a deep ball. Then Brown would get a stupid carry on 2nd or 3rd n long.
Scary to think that likely the best we can hope for is Vick Ballard.

If Donald Brown was my RB, I'd be passing every down too.
Some of the same reasons I defend Mendenhall I can say for Brown. Performer in college, decent athlete and first round pick that should have been in line for a nice workload with no real threat to his carries. It happends, my strategy was to wait for RB's. Could have worked out...

I don't expect either guy to hold the starting job all season. As a matter of fact, I'd expect this to be more of a RBBC than anything. I believe Williams is the better player at this point but he's never shown he can stay on the field. On top of that, Mendy has familiarity with the scheme.

It really doesn't matter a great deal as this will again be one of the worst offensive teams in the NFL IMO. I don't see much fantasy potential here even if one guy claims the starting role all 16 games.

Someone needs to step up. Williams Powell is eh and he looked as good as anyone else last year. Williams should be far better. Mendenhall has had some moments no doubt.

I'll use Powell as a barometer in preseason. If no one stands out, I'm not touching this RBBC

DATE OPP RESULT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LSTSun 9/30 vs MIAW 24-21 (OT) 2 2 1.0 2 0 2 6 3.0 4 0 1 0Thu 10/4 @ STLL 3-17 1 7 7.0 7 0 3 20 6.7 10 0 0 0Sun 10/14 vs BUFL 16-19 (OT) 13 70 5.4 17 0 1 8 8.0 8 0 0 0Sun 10/21 @ MINL 14-21 4 13 3.3 7 0 1 5 5.0 5 0 1 0Mon 10/29 vs SFL 3-24 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0Sun 11/4 @ GBL 17-31 1 3 3.0 3 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0Sun 11/18 @ ATLL 19-23 4 10 2.5 6 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0Sun 11/25 vs STLL 17-31 3 11 3.7 11 0 6 63 10.5 25 0 0 0Sun 12/2 @ NYJL 6-7 4 18 4.5 8 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0Sun 12/9 @ SEAL 0-58 5 20 4.0 9 0 2 13 6.5 8 0 0 0Sun 12/16 vs DETW 38-10 5 4 0.8 2 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0Sun 12/23 vs CHIL 13-28 3 6 2.0 7 0 3 21 7.0 10 0 0 0Sun 12/30 @ SFL 13-27 14 52 3.7 10 0 1 -4 -4.0 -4 0 0 0REGULAR SEASON STATS 59 216 3.7 17 0 19 132 6.9 25 0 0 0 http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14432/william-powellSo Powell's only decent game was early on against the Bills, in an overtime game. The only other game that he had more than 10 carries besides the Buffalo game was in week 17 against the 49ers.

He would need to really improve from last season I think.

If the Cards do draft a LT, that combined with a healthy Levi Brown and Carson Palmer posing a real threat in the passing game could see this offense improve significantly from last season.

Biabreakable said:
DATE OPP RESULT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LSTSun 9/30 vs MIAW 24-21 (OT) 2 2 1.0 2 0 2 6 3.0 4 0 1 0Thu 10/4 @ STLL 3-17 1 7 7.0 7 0 3 20 6.7 10 0 0 0Sun 10/14 vs BUFL 16-19 (OT) 13 70 5.4 17 0 1 8 8.0 8 0 0 0Sun 10/21 @ MINL 14-21 4 13 3.3 7 0 1 5 5.0 5 0 1 0Mon 10/29 vs SFL 3-24 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0Sun 11/4 @ GBL 17-31 1 3 3.0 3 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0Sun 11/18 @ ATLL 19-23 4 10 2.5 6 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0Sun 11/25 vs STLL 17-31 3 11 3.7 11 0 6 63 10.5 25 0 0 0Sun 12/2 @ NYJL 6-7 4 18 4.5 8 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0Sun 12/9 @ SEAL 0-58 5 20 4.0 9 0 2 13 6.5 8 0 0 0Sun 12/16 vs DETW 38-10 5 4 0.8 2 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0Sun 12/23 vs CHIL 13-28 3 6 2.0 7 0 3 21 7.0 10 0 0 0Sun 12/30 @ SFL 13-27 14 52 3.7 10 0 1 -4 -4.0 -4 0 0 0REGULAR SEASON STATS 59 216 3.7 17 0 19 132 6.9 25 0 0 0 http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14432/william-powellSo Powell's only decent game was early on against the Bills, in an overtime game. The only other game that he had more than 10 carries besides the Buffalo game was in week 17 against the 49ers.

He would need to really improve from last season I think.

If the Cards do draft a LT, that combined with a healthy Levi Brown and Carson Palmer posing a real threat in the passing game could see this offense improve significantly from last season.
Yeah Powell is not worth a dynasty roster spot IMO. The other RBs should be far better than him.

From Rotoworld:

One NFL front office man told the National Football Post that Rashard Mendenhall is "physically superior than any running back available in the draft."
The NFP's Dan Pompei suggests Arizona may have gotten "a steal" in Mendenhall, who will play 2013 on a one-year, $2.5 million deal. Mendenhall is still only 26 years old and ran a 4.45 forty coming out of Illinois at a rocked-up 5-foot-10, 225. Reunited with former Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, Mendenhall is a sleeper for solid RB2 value in fantasy leagues this season.

From Rotoworld:

One NFL front office man told the National Football Post that Rashard Mendenhall is "physically superior than any running back available in the draft."
The NFP's Dan Pompei suggests Arizona may have gotten "a steal" in Mendenhall, who will play 2013 on a one-year, $2.5 million deal. Mendenhall is still only 26 years old and ran a 4.45 forty coming out of Illinois at a rocked-up 5-foot-10, 225. Reunited with former Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, Mendenhall is a sleeper for solid RB2 value in fantasy leagues this season.
It's strange to me that his college measurables keep coming up. It's kind of like saying "we should sign O.J. Simpson--he looked great coming out of college" in 2013 and thinking you're getting a bargain.

I expect to be proved wrong, but nothing has me thinking "steal". If that were the case, more teams would have kicked the tires IMO.

From Rotoworld:

Big deal, he has a physique.

The measurables didn't translate into anything but a sub-4.0 YPC over 550 carries in 2010-11, when he was younger and healthier and had a better OL than now. Balance and vision are lacking, and he'll always be a very mediocre back.

From Rotoworld:

The measurables didn't translate into anything but a sub-4.0 YPC over 550 carries in 2010-11, when he was younger and healthier and had a better OL than now. Balance and vision are lacking, and he'll always be a very mediocre back.
I don't think anyone is saying he's going to be a top 10 RB in the NFL or FF. If he reaches only 200 touches, he should crack the top 30 in FF(at worst). If he gets into 250+ range(every year but his rookie/injured season) he should crack top 20. I feel like Mendenhall is reaching Michael Turner/BJGE territory, everyone hates him but he represents a great value.

If you call Mendy "mediocre" than what's your definition of Ryan Williams? "water boy"?

From Rotoworld:

I don't think anyone is saying he's going to be a top 10 RB in the NFL or FF. If he reaches only 200 touches, he should crack the top 30 in FF(at worst). If he gets into 250+ range(every year but his rookie/injured season) he should crack top 20. I feel like Mendenhall is reaching Michael Turner/BJGE territory, everyone hates him but he represents a great value.

If you call Mendy "mediocre" than what's your definition of Ryan Williams? "water boy"?
I have Mendenhaall ranked RB33 for dynasty, Williams #36. Mendenhall is on a one-year contract.

In a 32 team league, that's mediocre.

From Rotoworld:

I have Mendenhaall ranked RB33 for dynasty, Williams #36. Mendenhall is on a one-year contract.

In a 32 team league, that's mediocre.
What has Williams done to earn #36? He hasn't done much on the field since 2009, when Brett Favre had 107 QB rating in Minnesota and Chris Johnson ran for 2000 yards.

(I just looked at your rankings and it looks like Mendy is at #30 and Williams at #33).

Give me Mendy at #30/33 over D. Murray at #12, PPR or not(this is the value i'm talking about). Over the last two years Murray has 4 less touchdowns than the "mediocre" Mendy despite 78 more touches in a better offense. Surprised Murray's 4.1 YPC(looks like Mendys) in 2012 doesn't scare you away.

The discrepancy in my dynasty rankings of those players is because I was referencing their ranking when including incoming rookies in this thread...

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=680489

...while you were looking at the FBG dynasty rankings which exclude the incoming rookies until drafted.

Here's what I had to say about it in my thread:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=680489&page=3#entry15470400

If you don't think Mendenhall is mediocre, go get him and be happy. I'm not interested in debating it with you beyond what I've already written above and in my thread..

Does anyone really win with the Arizona job?

In all seriousness, Both Mendenhall and Williams are worthy flyers, but I can see them drafting yet another back in the next year or two.

Users who are viewing this thread