What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who would you rather hire? (1 Viewer)

Who would you most likely hire? Someone with a...

• Science degree from Bob Jones University

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • Science degree from an online (DeVry/Capella, etc.) University

Votes: 91 76.5%

• Total voters

Hastur

Footballguy
Pretty straight forward question.

Bob Jones university thinks the earth is 6,000 years old.

Online degrees have their own set of negative baggage.

ETA: Both canidates are fresh out of collage, no experience, etc.

I'm really trying to figure out which degree would come with the most negative connotations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interviewing the candidate would carry a lot more weight than where they got their degree in this case. As well as what experience and other qualifications they have.

The reality is Bob Jones actually ranks ok in several science/engineering disciplines. They are at least average to a bit above. Now it's really easy to get in to BJU. But at the end of the day I don't care where you got your degree. I just want to know if you can do the job and fit in with our existing employees. I did vote online school though because of the religious aspect. We are pretty much a liberal, kind of atheist type company. The very religious people we have tried to hire in the past haven't fit in.

The reality is Bob Jones actually ranks ok in several science/engineering disciplines. They are at least average to a bit above. Now it's really easy to get in to BJU. But at the end of the day I don't care where you got your degree. I just want to know if you can do the job and fit in with our existing employees. I did vote online school though because of the religious aspect. We are pretty much a liberal, kind of atheist type company. The very religious people we have tried to hire in the past haven't fit in.
I'd enroll my wife in BJU.

Neither. For me, when I hire someone, they need to demonstrate good judgement and a record of success.

BJU demonstrates terrible judgement and an online degree demonstates no record of success.

Neither. For me, when I hire someone, they need to demonstrate good judgement and a record of success.

BJU demonstrates terrible judgement and an online degree demonstates no record of success.
How so? As I mentioned many of their programs compare well to other second tier schools.

I'd enroll my wife in BJU.
Is your wife really easy to get into?

How so? As I mentioned many of their programs compare well to other second tier schools.
I think by attending BJU, you tacitly accept things like the Earth is only 6,000 yo and other related BS especially if you're in their science program.

I think by attending BJU, you tacitly accept things like the Earth is only 6,000 yo and other related BS especially if you're in their science program.
:lmao:

Is that not the case? I've never heard of BJU but the OP said BJU believes the Earth is 6,000 yo. If not true, then I rescind my statement.

I have nothing against Christian universities but I do have something against institutions of higher learning that espouse theories that are easily refutable. I also think students who attend those universities exercise bad judgement: they either believe those theories or they choose to attend an institution whose beliefs are so out of whack with the rest of society that it makes me wonder about their decision making capability.

Is that not the case? I've never heard of BJU but the OP said BJU believes the Earth is 6,000 yo. If not true, then I rescind my statement.

I have nothing against Christian universities but I do have something against institutions of higher learning that espouse theories that are easily refutable. I also think students who attend those universities exercise bad judgement: they either believe those theories or they choose to attend an institution whose beliefs are so out of whack with the rest of society that it makes me wonder about their decision making capability.
oh...you weren't making a funny? my bad :oldunsure:

If I were deciding on where to attend college, I would immediately exclude any institution that believed the Earth was only 6,000 yo. I wouldn't visit the campus, apply or devote a modicum of thought to considering their institution.

If I were deciding on where to attend college, I would immediately exclude any institution that believed the Earth was only 6,000 yo. I wouldn't visit the campus, apply or devote a modicum of thought to considering their institution.
I'd hold this position too if I were after a biology degree or something that had to deal with this realm. You didn't make any such caveat so I assume your comment is regardless of major. That to me is laughable. I can't tell you what the biology departments taught at the various schools I went to. I can't tell you what the religious studies departments taught either. That's because they had nothing to do with what I was there for. I went to the schools based on the departments I was interested in, not departments that had nothing to do with anything I was there to learn about. I find this throwing the baby out with the bath water approach peculiar but to each his own.

I'd hold this position too if I were after a biology degree or something that had to deal with this realm. You didn't make any such caveat so I assume your comment is regardless of major. That to me is laughable. I can't tell you what the biology departments taught at the various schools I went to. I can't tell you what the religious studies departments taught either. That's because they had nothing to do with what I was there for. I went to the schools based on the departments I was interested in, not departments that had nothing to do with anything I was there to learn about. I find this throwing the baby out with the bath water approach peculiar but to each his own.
I wouldn't go there because their belief in a 6k old earth means they hold other beliefs I would not support. Why would I give them tens of thousands of dollars when I don't agree with them on science or social issues?

It's akin to a university teaching the existence of the tooth fairy as fact. I would probably interview them just to see what a BJU graduate was like.

I wouldn't go there because their belief in a 6k old earth means they hold other beliefs I would not support. Why would I give them tens of thousands of dollars when I don't agree with them on science or social issues?
Not sure...for me, it's a business decision. Education is a means to an end in my eyes. Generally speaking there is no real social issue that I hold such a strong opinion on that I would let it interfere with my education. If the degree I am going there for is one of the "best" in the industry, the science department isn't going to deter me from going to the business school. I don't typically have an issue with co-mingling with those I don't agree with....not ever been an issue for me. In my mind, my tens of thousands of dollars went to my education, not to a belief I didn't agree with.

I get what you're saying and agree with it if I'm going there for the degree in science. I couldn't go to a school for a degree where said degree isn't really respected in the industry. Them meshing with me on morality is pretty low on the list of deterrents. Guess I am a heathen.

Not sure...for me, it's a business decision. Education is a means to an end in my eyes. Generally speaking there is no real social issue that I hold such a strong opinion on that I would let it interfere with my education. If the degree I am going there for is one of the "best" in the industry, the science department isn't going to deter me from going to the business school. I don't typically have an issue with co-mingling with those I don't agree with....not ever been an issue for me. In my mind, my tens of thousands of dollars went to my education, not to a belief I didn't agree with.

I get what you're saying and agree with it if I'm going there for the degree in science. I couldn't go to a school for a degree where said degree isn't really respected in the industry. Them meshing with me on morality is pretty low on the list of deterrents. Guess I am a heathen.
Here's the thing. They are basically a middling school in the second tier. Now add all the baggage the name conjures. For instance that it took them until the late 80's to curb their racist policies. The fact that if you aren't going to be a church leader or a Republican appointee their diploma is a joke to most people. This is definitely not the school that polishes your resume except in very specific cases.

People who get the U of P degrees sometimes have good reasons, like parenting, money, time, etc. Those who chose to attend Bob Jones U have no good reason for the choices they made.

Is it the same curriculum? Or are they riding dinosaurs to work at BJU?

I have nothing against Christian universities but I do have something against institutions of higher learning that espouse theories that are easily refutable.
Technically, it's not easily refutable.

I have nothing against Christian universities but I do have something against institutions of higher learning that espouse theories that are easily refutable.
Notebook updated. Sarnoff has terrible judgement and common sense.

Notebook updated. Sarnoff has terrible judgement and common sense.

I didn't know you had a proof against solipsism. Philosophers have been searching for one for a few hundred years.

Here's the thing. They are basically a middling school in the second tier. Now add all the baggage the name conjures. For instance that it took them until the late 80's to curb their racist policies. The fact that if you aren't going to be a church leader or a Republican appointee their diploma is a joke to most people. This is definitely not the school that polishes your resume except in very specific cases.
Above, you said it was a school that is very comparable to other second tier schools. I tend to agree. I'm not comparing them to larger, better schools. Context matters and that's the context I am commenting under. My overall point is if I'm not going there to learn science, I don't care what the science department is teaching :shrug: I asked my question about the zombies and dracula because relatively respected schools DO have such classes, but I don't see people completely writing them off as possibilities. Those classes are, at least, as absurd as the 6000 year old earth classes.

Actually it has been refuted many different ways. Genetics, geology and physics all tell us the Earth can't be 6000 years old. If it is those sciences are fundamentally wrong and we know they aren't.

To be completely frank, if the job was related to their major, "science", I would not hire either.

For the BJU graduate, I would wonder how they can so blatantly disregard the scientific method on matters that conflict with their religion.

For the online diploma mill grad, I tend to think negatively of those places in the first place, and secondly, its not like you can do lab work for an online degree, which is pretty darn necessary for nearly every one of the hard sciences.

---

Not exactly related, but I once took a course at a school with a large online program and also numerous satellite campuses on military bases. I enrolled to get a Master's in International Relations. After one course, I was convinced that the program was a complete joke and dropped out. I never put this class on a resume or applications to other graduate schools (which ask you to list past coursework specifically) because it was so terrible that I did not want to be associated with it at all. I later got my Master's from U of Maryland, College Park.

Maybe it was just my own personal experience, but anyone I know who is generally a smart person and has a degree from one of these places typically says that it was a waste of time and wishes that they had never bothered with it. The only people I know who are "Phoenix Proud!" or whatever tend to be complete buffoons. Based on this, I doubt these degrees are worth more than the paper they're printed on. Again, this is just my exposure, but a lot of people who work for the government here in DC have online degrees because Federal hiring rules make zero distinction between a degree from U of Phoenix and Harvard.

Above, you said it was a school that is very comparable to other second tier schools. I tend to agree. I'm not comparing them to larger, better schools. Context matters. My overall point is if I'm not going there to learn science, I don't care what the science department is teaching :shrug: I asked my question about the zombies and dracula because relatively respected schools DO have such classes, but I don't see people completely writing them off as possibilities. Those classes are, at least, as absurd as the 6000 year old earth classes.
Why don't you look up one of those courses and then show me where the school that teaches it espouses a belief in them? Where they have professors they employ that go to conferences and push the idea of zombies and vampires?

To be completely frank, if the job was related to their major, "science", I would not hire either.

For the BJU graduate, I would wonder how they can so blatantly disregard the scientific method on matters that conflict with their religion.

For the online diploma mill grad, I tend to think negatively of those places in the first place, and secondly, its not like you can do lab work for an online degree, which is pretty darn necessary for nearly every one of the hard sciences.

---

Not exactly related, but I once took a course at a school with a large online program and also numerous satellite campuses on military bases. I enrolled to get a Master's in International Relations. After one course, I was convinced that the program was a complete joke and dropped out. I never put this class on a resume or applications to other graduate schools (which ask you to list past coursework specifically) because it was so terrible that I did not want to be associated with it at all. I later got my Master's from U of Maryland, College Park.

Maybe it was just my own personal experience, but anyone I know who is generally a smart person and has a degree from one of these places typically says that it was a waste of time and wishes that they had never bothered with it. The only people I know who are "Phoenix Proud!" or whatever tend to be complete buffoons. Based on this, I doubt these degrees are worth more than the paper they're printed on. Again, this is just my exposure, but a lot of people who work for the government here in DC have online degrees because Federal hiring rules make zero distinction between a degree from U of Phoenix and Harvard.
:shock:

And that is one reason why the government is full of A-level jobs with C-level (or worse) players.

---

:shock:

And that is one reason why the government is full of A-level jobs with C-level (or worse) players.
That and their firing rate is absurbly low. Its near impossible to be dismissed.

Users who are viewing this thread