What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why did Fred Taylor start off so slow? (1 Viewer)

Cunk

Footballguy
I've always been a Fred Taylor fan. Cecil and Bloom were correct in predicting that he still had a lot in the tank before the season started. I picked him up late in the draft (in all 3 leagues I'm in) and was happy to do so. After waiting and waiting he just wasn't putting up any decent fantasy stats. So I dropped him in week 9. All of a sudden he starts to be the Fred Taylor like we remember from years ago. What happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred didn't really start off THAT slow, his role just didnt offer much room for error, since he rarely gets 20 touches, a lot of receptions, or goal line carries. He was on in the first Houston game, but didnt quite have the gas in the tank to finish a 90 yard TD run early, instead only busting off a 76 yarder. MJD hit a home run later in the game, and also ripped off a long TD vs KC in week 5 - so you knew the potential was there for long TDs in this run game. The whole O hit a dry stretch with Quinn Gray in, and then it started humming when Garrard returned, and Taylor followed suit - Taylor was not running better later in the year as much as the perfectly blocked plays happening when he was in instead of MJD.

Fred didn't really start off THAT slow, his role just didnt offer much room for error, since he rarely gets 20 touches, a lot of receptions, or goal line carries. He was on in the first Houston game, but didnt quite have the gas in the tank to finish a 90 yard TD run early, instead only busting off a 76 yarder. MJD hit a home run later in the game, and also ripped off a long TD vs KC in week 5 - so you knew the potential was there for long TDs in this run game. The whole O hit a dry stretch with Quinn Gray in, and then it started humming when Garrard returned, and Taylor followed suit - Taylor was not running better later in the year as much as the perfectly blocked plays happening when he was in instead of MJD.
Dead-on.

Yeah, I know he had solid stats throughout the year. It just seemed like that trend of good stats but no paydirt was going to continue throughout the year.

I'm glad he made the pro-bowl. I'm sure he's going to go a lot higher in next year's draft. But he'll still probably be a good value where you get him.

Users who are viewing this thread