What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Did Supermarket Cashier Open and Look at My Eggs? (1 Viewer)

Why did the cashier open my eggs and look at them?

• To make sure the eggs were not broken

Votes: 109 84.5%
  • To make sure I did not put something else in there (so I could steal it)

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • To check that the carton would close properly and the eggs wouldn't fall out after bagging

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Other

• Seriously, zip it up Willie

• Total voters

Willie Neslon

Footballguy
The last few times I went to the store I noticed the cashier opened my carton of eggs, looked at them and then closed them and rang them up. I've asked a few people why this is happening and I've gotten different answers. Anyone know why they do this?

It is to see they are not broken or cracked, which can't be determined until the carton is opened and looked at (providing it is not clear like Eggland's Best, which is what I buy).

People who buy eggs regularly, do you open the carton yourself before putting them in your cart/basket to check to see if they are broken or to check the quality of the eggs? Or do you just grab a carton without checking?

People who buy eggs regularly, do you open the carton yourself before putting them in your cart/basket to check to see if they are broken or to check the quality of the eggs? Or do you just grab a carton without checking?
I check every time.

I give each egg a little wiggle.

If it's cracked on the top half, I can see it. If it's cracked below, it'll be "stuck" to the bottom and doesn't wiggle. Takes 5 seconds to check a dozen.

I do.. then the clerk checks too.

Bacteria can enter eggs through cracks in the shell. Never purchase cracked eggs. However, if eggs crack on the way home from the store, break them into a clean container, cover tightly, keep refrigerated, and use within two days. If eggs crack during hard cooking, they are safe.

I always check them, and the date

And I buy Egg lands best and my carton is styrofoam, not clear

I check every time.

If it's cracked on the top half, I can see it. If it's cracked below, it'll be "stuck" to the bottom and doesn't wiggle. Takes 5 seconds to check a dozen.
oh, never thought about a crack on the bottom. Usually just open and scan them to make sure they look ok and aren't obviously broken.

Check every single time. I rotate each egg maybe a quarter turn to make sure they're not subtly cracked, seeping egg white, and thus sticking to the carton.

You're OP and some of the early responses gave me a thought, though: I wonder if some shoppers switch out, say, jumbo eggs into a medium-eggs carton? That would allow them to get a jumbo dozen of eggs for something like 1/3 cheaper. I could see a cashier checking for that, maybe -- but it would be easy for the shopper to deny they did anything unless store management was willing to go through some trouble.

Sometimes when I shop for eggs, I see a bunch of mixed sizes in one carton. Large and extra-large eggs getting mixed up? Eh, sure. But medium eggs look like quail eggs next to jumbos -- someone's been doing some switching, I bet.

I've never had a clerk check my eggs or ask me if I checked my eggs.

This is a new one for me.
they do it every time.
Every store in your area, or just one or two stores?

My experience is like gianmarco's: NOBODY around here cares if they sell you broken eggs, mis-sized eggs, 10 eggs in a carton of 12, etc. It's all on the shopper.

I guess you could go back later and get money back, new eggs, etc. ... but that's a PITA. Just check and verify up front.

So we all check them. I assume most do which is why I don't understand the cashier also checking. Double-check?
The eggs could very easily get smashed around in the cart and gone broke after we checked.
The eggs aren't the only ones gone broke after check out.
We had chickens up to about a year ago. Didn't buy eggs for the previous few years. And you are damn right - holy expensiveness

Check every single time. I rotate each egg maybe a quarter turn to make sure they're not subtly cracked, seeping egg white, and thus sticking to the carton.
I check every time.

I never thought to rotate or wiggle the egg for a more thorough check. I will do this going forward. Thanks. 🥚

While we're talking eggs...what kind of eggs do you buy? The cheapest? Brown ones? Cage-free? I have been watching a lot of youtube nutritional videos and virtually everyone there swears by "pasture-raised organic" eggs saying those are the best for you by a mile. Something about high Omega 3's and low Omega 6's. The feed is healthy and the hen isn't stressed because she has room to roam, thus lower levels of cortisol. And she's out in the sun all day giving her eggs higher levels of Vitamin D. Those eggs are the most expensive (of course) but I've been getting those exclusively for a while now. They taste better too imo. They were out of them a few months back so I just got regular cheapo eggs and boy could I taste the difference. Like night and day.

Last edited:
I've never had a clerk check my eggs or ask me if I checked my eggs.

This is a new one for me.
they do it every time.
Every store in your area, or just one or two stores?

My experience is like gianmarco's: NOBODY around here cares if they sell you broken eggs, mis-sized eggs, 10 eggs in a carton of 12, etc. It's all on the shopper.

I guess you could go back later and get money back, new eggs, etc. ... but that's a PITA. Just check and verify up front.

our stores do, though i do a bulk of our shopping at Safeway.

@El Floppo
that's seacliff yuppie to you, Jack!

While we're talking eggs...what kind of eggs do you buy? The cheapest? Brown ones? Cage-free? I have been watching a lot of youtube nutritional videos and virtually everyone there swears by "pasture-raised organic" eggs saying those are the best for you by a mile. Something about high Omega 3's and low Omega 6's. The feed is healthy and the hen isn't stressed because she has room to roam, thus lower levels of cortisol. And she's out in the sun all day giving her eggs higher levels of Vitamin D. Those eggs are the most expensive (of course) but I've been getting those exclusively for a while now. They taste better too imo. They were out of them a few months back so I just got regular cheapo eggs and boy could I taste the difference. Like night and day.
I get the organic ones at Costco. Taste good, clear plastic so you can easily see cracks/leaks top and bottom and they are cheap compared to the organic ones at the grocery store.

Voted the bagging part. It's obviously to make sure the eggs are not broken, but not for your sake. It's to make sure she isn't going to get egg yolk on her hands bagging them. And the closing properly too, I'm sure.

Several potential hazards in bagging up another man's eggs, so it makes sense to be safe.

If I'm buying from a store I go cheapest. I prefer to buy eggs from someone raising chickens. $3 is the going rate around here for farm raised chicken eggs. It's almost double that if you get them at the farmer's market.

Needs a, "I've never bought eggs" option. :oldunsure:

ETA: Well dang, I have to take that back. I've purchased eggs once, but don't remember them checking.

ETA 2: I texted my daughter who worked the checkout at a grocery store in HS. "To check if they were broken" was her answer. She also said they checked as they stocked them.

Last edited:
Back when I was a teenager in small town America, I worked part time in a small grocery store as a bagger. We were taught how to actually bag groceries the proper way and that included opening the eggs to make sure they weren't broken. That is one of my biggest gripes at grocery stores now is the knuckleheads bag your stuff all kinds of wrong. I even load the items on the belt the way they should be bagged to make it easy but I still have to end up rebagging every thing at the end.

Voted the bagging part. It's obviously to make sure the eggs are not broken, but not for your sake. It's to make sure she isn't going to get egg yolk on her hands bagging them. And the closing properly too, I'm sure.

Several potential hazards in bagging up another man's eggs, so it makes sense to be safe.
I can’t remember the last time a clerk bagged my groceries. Sounds like a dream.

Users who are viewing this thread