What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why doesn't Reggie Bush run more vertical routes? (1 Viewer)

shining path

:prettyplease:
Just based on seeing him a few times this year, it seems like Bush is used almost exclusively on short/underneath routes, even when he lines up outside. Is there a reason for this? He has elite speed and good hands, why not run him on vertical routes like fly patterns and deep slants? Is he running these routes and just not being targeted and/or getting open?

I think that the Saints are trying to get Reggie the ball in space. They can run off a zone with a WR, and hit Reggie underneath with a chance to make a big play.

Just based on seeing him a few times this year, it seems like Bush is used almost exclusively on short/underneath routes, even when he lines up outside. Is there a reason for this? He has elite speed and good hands, why not run him on vertical routes like fly patterns and deep slants? Is he running these routes and just not being targeted and/or getting open?
I have always wondered this. If Reggie showed the threat of going deep on occasion, it seems it would create even more room for the underneath routes the Saints use so much.

I think that the Saints are trying to get Reggie the ball in space. They can run off a zone with a WR, and hit Reggie underneath with a chance to make a big play.
That's probably it. But with his skill set you'd think they run a more diverse set of routes with him. And his poor ypc (~5.5) indicates that he's not breaking many of the short receptions.

part of it is that they dont seem to be calling the deep routes for Bush as much, part of it is that the line is not consistently giving Brees the time to make those downfield routes work. I'm also afraid that Bush is starting to wear down without Deuce to absorb a lot of the body blows from the D. I wouldnt be surprised to see the Saints give Stecker/Thomas more than half the carries down the stretch like they did last week.

Users who are viewing this thread