What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is Biden Still Wearing a Mask? (2 Viewers)

we're going backward here.  anti-vaxxers are killing us and complaining at the same time.
Not that it has to do with this, but the wife was telling me today there is a brewery in northern WI that are planning a vaccination party for the end of may.   Present proof of vaccination, and get a free beer.   The replies on FB, are predictable, sad, and funny at the same time. (their ad had something to do with "a taste of freedom" , or something like that).  

• "wow, talk about discrimination!" 
  • "This isn’t freedom. Show your papers. Sounds like Russia or China."
  • "This isn’t freedom it’s corersion. Forcing someone to get something that they don’t want or is not healthy for them. That is not freedom"
We sure are an odd species.  

Not that it has to do with this, but the wife was telling me today there is a brewery in northern WI that are planning a vaccination party for the end of may.   Present proof of vaccination, and get a free beer.   The replies on FB, are predictable, sad, and funny at the same time. (their ad had something to do with "a taste of freedom" , or something like that).  

• "wow, talk about discrimination!" 
  • "This isn’t freedom. Show your papers. Sounds like Russia or China."
  • "This isn’t freedom it’s corersion. Forcing someone to get something that they don’t want or is not healthy for them. That is not freedom"
We sure are an odd species.  
I've got no problem with businesses trying to have freebies or encouraging vaccination.  To me that's different than requiring it for employment/service.  I'm not sure how much success they will have in doing it, but doing it in a fun way or offering it while at a game such as the Braves did last night, will be much more effective with hesitant folks than government statements will be.  

I've got no problem with businesses trying to have freebies or encouraging vaccination.  To me that's different than requiring it for employment/service.  I'm not sure how much success they will have in doing it, but doing it in a fun way or offering it while at a game such as the Braves did last night, will be much more effective with hesitant folks than government statements will be.  
Plus, it's one day - it's not like it's their policy going forward.  

If I am thinking correctly, this place is a little bit of a lightning rod though, as there was a bit of a to-do over them putting up a *gasp* Biden sign during the campaign.   North WI not messing around! 

Plus, it's one day - it's not like it's their policy going forward.  

If I am thinking correctly, this place is a little bit of a lightning rod though, as there was a bit of a to-do over them putting up a *gasp* Biden sign during the campaign.   North WI not messing around! 
Yeah if it's seen as a political thing it's not going to work.  I know people who have taken the vaccine who really had a problem with the Braves doing that for instance.  I would get the objection if it was required for entrance.  But if they are simply offering it, that's a convenience for the willing people who want the shot.

I've got no problem with businesses trying to have freebies or encouraging vaccination.  To me that's different than requiring it for employment/service
I am require to have the annual flu shot to remain employed.  Also required of employees of vendors.   Been that way for well over a decade.   Granted this is a healthcare organization, though I am physically nowhere near doctors or patients (1500 miles).   Don't see how this would/should be different?

I am require to have the annual flu shot to remain employed.  Also required of employees of vendors.   Been that way for well over a decade.   Granted this is a healthcare organization, though I am physically nowhere near doctors or patients (1500 miles).   Don't see how this would/should be different?
It's different for two reasons.

1) None of the covid-19 vaccines are fully FDA-approved.  Of course, this is mainly because the FDA is a dysfunctional organization that served the country incredibly poorly during the pandemic -- in a sane world, the three leading vaccines would have been approved months ago.  But the point remains that it's understandable why we (as a society) might be skittish about requiring people to take non-approved drugs.

2) The poster wasn't talking about you, and I'm sure you probably knew that when you were typing up your reply.  If you work in a field that requires a spectrum of vaccinations now, then you can reasonably expect to see the covid-19 vaccine added to that list in the near future, after the FDA gets around to doing its job.  For most of us, mandatory vaccination is not currently a thing, and covid-19 shouldn't be an exception IMO.

The complete lack of focus on ventilation is killing far more people than anything else you guys ever talk about.

And that is 100% the fault of "experts"  
Not really.  The lack of people getting vaccinated at this point is the #1 barrier to normalcy and reduction in deaths in the US.

It's different for two reasons.

1) None of the covid-19 vaccines are fully FDA-approved.  Of course, this is mainly because the FDA is a dysfunctional organization that served the country incredibly poorly during the pandemic -- in a sane world, the three leading vaccines would have been approved months ago.  But the point remains that it's understandable why we (as a society) might be skittish about requiring people to take non-approved drugs.

2) The poster wasn't talking about you, and I'm sure you probably knew that when you were typing up your reply.  If you work in a field that requires a spectrum of vaccinations now, then you can reasonably expect to see the covid-19 vaccine added to that list in the near future, after the FDA gets around to doing its job.  For most of us, mandatory vaccination is not currently a thing, and covid-19 shouldn't be an exception IMO.
1) Sure, but that will likely change.

2) But unless I misunderstood the point it was that employers shouldn't be allowed to make this a condition of employment.  Maybe a different analogy would be drug testing for recreational drugs in sports (among other places).  Or companies that terminate you for smoking at home off hours.  I think of these kinds of intrusive requirements of employment among battles that were lost decades ago. Requiring a Covid vaccine might be new to you, all of these might be new to you, but these battles were lost by anti-union sentiment of the eighties and nineties.   Once an approved drug I don't think this is any different from any of these. 

For most of us, mandatory vaccination is not currently a thing, and covid-19 shouldn't be an exception IMO.
I strongly disagree with you. I think it SHOULD be an exception. Simply put, we should allow businesses, transportation, schools, actually ALL venues to demand proof of vaccination of employees, passengers, students, customers, etc.,  and strongly encourage them to do so. You should not be able to resume a “normal”, pre-2020 life in this country unless you’ve been vaccinated for Covid-19. 

I strongly disagree with you. I think it SHOULD be an exception. Simply put, we should allow businesses, transportation, schools, actually ALL venues to demand proof of vaccination of employees, passengers, students, customers, etc.,  and strongly encourage them to do so. You should not be able to resume a “normal”, pre-2020 life in this country unless you’ve been vaccinated for Covid-19. 
Why would you require schoolkids to get it?  

I agree that businesses should be allowed to require vaccination.  Of course, most businesses don't currently do that for other infectious diseases, and I don't expect that covid will be different.  That's just a prediction, not a prescription.  

So that it doesn’t spread?  
It's not even approved for kids.  I mean I guess down the road we are assuming it will be but there have been no outbreaks at my daughters' schools nor my wife's who teaches in a large district.  The cases the kids at their schools have had have been caught from parents and when they've gotten it it's been drowsiness/headaches those type symptoms.  So I guess if it's eventually approved and shown safe for those age groups we look at it then.  But today it's not an issue and frankly kids that age just don't seem to be getting very sick at all if they happen to contract it from all the data that I can find.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that businesses should be allowed to require vaccination.  Of course, most businesses don't currently do that for other infectious diseases, and I don't expect that covid will be different.  That's just a prediction, not a prescription.  
Right, I think I understand your viewpoint. For me it’s a prescription. (I want businesses to make an exception for COVID.) 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not even approved for kids.  I mean I guess down the road we are assuming it will be but there have been no outbreaks at my daughters' schools nor my wife's who teaches in a large district.  The cases the kids at their schools have had have been caught from parents and when they've gotten it it's been drowsiness/headaches those type symptoms.  So I guess if it's eventually approved and shown safe for those age groups we look at it then.  But today it's not an issue.
It will be approved shortly: weeks, not months. I would frankly like to see a vaccine created for newborns, so we can treat this like polio and smallpox in the future. 

It's not even approved for kids.  I mean I guess down the road we are assuming it will be but there have been no outbreaks at my daughters' schools nor my wife's who teaches in a large district.  The cases the kids at their schools have had have been caught from parents and when they've gotten it it's been drowsiness/headaches those type symptoms.  So I guess if it's eventually approved and shown safe for those age groups we look at it then.  But today it's not an issue and frankly kids that age just don't seem to be getting very sick at all if they happen to contract it from all the data that I can find.
The kids get it and infect their unvaccinated grandparents.  I think that’s the primary concern.  Also there have been kids who have suffered from long Covid even though it’s atypical.

The kids get it and infect their unvaccinated grandparents.  I think that’s the primary concern.  Also there have been kids who have suffered from long Covid even though it’s atypical.
Honestly, at some point if people choose to be unvaccinated that's on them.  I chose to get the vaccine and likely would choose for my kids to as well.  I realize the risk is non-zero, but I can think of a lot more unsafe activities our children freely engage in than if they were to contract Covid.  So based on that it's pretty hard for me to say to a parent, you must vaccinate your child or face penalties such as your child being removed from school.  Oh by the way, the reason you must do so is to protect someone who freely chose not to vaccinate themselves.  

How many were dead before the vaccine was available? 

And the "lack of people getting vaccinated" isnt a government response. 
No disagreement that lack of focus on ventilation in the past was one of the primary causes of unnecessary deaths.  Then again, other countries similarly botched that topic and still kept death rates way lower than us.

On the 1st point, unless we can raise the dead, from a go-forward perspective vaccination is the #1 thing that can prevent further unnecessary deaths.

On the 2nd point, I never claimed it was a government response.   

How do you know that kids were getting covid from parents, and not the other way around?

Honestly, at some point if people choose to be unvaccinated that's on them.  
I would agree with this if we had a 100% effective vaccine.  But we don't.  So anytime someone chooses not to get vaccinated, they are risking not only their own lives but also the lives of others.

How do you know that kids were getting covid from parents, and not the other way around?
Odds would say if a kid in a class came down with Covid, nobody else in the class has Covid, yet their entire household has Covid, the Covid infection started in the household.  

Odds would say if a kid in a class came down with Covid, nobody else in the class has Covid, yet their entire household has Covid, the Covid infection started in the household.  
Sure, probably would go with the odds that a kid got it from someone in their household.   Or from their neighbors.  Or daycare.  Or from another kid on a sports team.  Or from an asymptomatic kid in class who never got tested.  Etc.

Anyway, back to the thread topic, glad that the biggest issue we face right now is Joe Biden wearing a mask.

Honestly, at some point if people choose to be unvaccinated that’s on them. 
This is where I fundamentally disagree with you. We have just suffered the greatest catastrophe to hit this nation, and planet, since World War II. In the United States alone 900,000 people have died due to COVID (Thats per a new study by the University of Washington.) 

We cannot treat this as a freedom of choice issue. Ita not on them. It’s on all of us. 

I would agree with this if we had a 100% effective vaccine.  But we don't.  So anytime someone chooses not to get vaccinated, they are risking not only their own lives but also the lives of others.
So what's the answer then short of the state mandating 100% vaccination from its citizenry?  If your point is that the unvaccinated put those at risk who are vaccinated, on a small statistical scale we agree.  So how do you fix that?  The only way I can come up with is if you want it to be as close to zero as possible you would have to mandate it to everyone.  I don't think we as a country are anywhere near able to go there.

Sure, probably would go with the odds that a kid got it from someone in their household.   Or from their neighbors.  Or daycare.  Or from another kid on a sports team.  Or from an asymptomatic kid in class who never got tested.  Etc.

Anyway, back to the thread topic, glad that the biggest issue we face right now is Joe Biden wearing a mask.
The reason why it's bad for Biden to wear a mask is because it sends a message that the vaccines don't really work or aren't really reliable.  For example, this guy seems to think that vaccinated people face some kind of significant risk from unvaccinated people, which simply isn't the case.  If you've been fully vaccinated, the probability of you catching covid is very close to zero, and your probability of dying from covid, which is what really matters, is even lower.  This is good news that for some reason isn't breaking through, and the president is uniquely positioned to shape that narrative.  

So what's the answer then short of the state mandating 100% vaccination from its citizenry?  If your point is that the unvaccinated put those at risk who are vaccinated, on a small statistical scale we agree.  So how do you fix that?  The only way I can come up with is if you want it to be as close to zero as possible you would have to mandate it to everyone.  I don't think we as a country are anywhere near able to go there.
See my post above, We don’t need to mandate it. (I wish we could but too many problems.) But we can, and should, make normal life as untenable as possible for those who are not vaccinated. Can’t go on an airplane or train, Cant go to a movie. Can’t put your kid in school. Etc etc. 

The reason why it's bad for Biden to wear a mask is because it sends a message that the vaccines don't really work or aren't really reliable.  For example, this guy seems to think that vaccinated people face some kind of significant risk from unvaccinated people, which simply isn't the case.  If you've been fully vaccinated, the probability of you catching covid is very close to zero, and your probability of dying from covid, which is what really matters, is even lower.  This is good news that for some reason isn't breaking through, and the president is uniquely positioned to shape that narrative.  
I disagree with this as well. 

If Biden goes maskless a whole lot of people will assume “it’s over”, and many unvaccinated folks will go maskless, and some folks will catch COVID and some folks will die. 
Biden needs to wait until it’s truly over. That’s not now. 

I don't really want to mandate it, but hopefully we find creative ways to "nudge" people to get vaccinated.  Once we reach herd immunity, I'll probably stop caring about it.  

I don't disagree with you.  The flip side is that Biden not wearing a mask sends a message to really dumb people that this is all over already, regardless of vaccination rates.   It's a tough balance.

This is where I fundamentally disagree with you. We have just suffered the greatest catastrophe to hit this nation, and planet, since World War II. In the United States alone 900,000 people have died due to COVID (Thats per a new study by the University of Washington.) 

We cannot treat this as a freedom of choice issue. Ita not on them. It’s on all of us. 
It is on them.  I can't force those who don't want to take it to take the shot, neither can you.  There's nothing you can do about that even if you want to.  I won't feel guilty if and when they get sick either.  I've had my shots, I'm assuming you have.  What part is on us?

I'm not arguing we haven't gone through a tragic event, of course we have.  You are speaking of deaths that occurred because we had no vaccine.  It's been horrible, I feel terrible for everyone who lost a loved one.  Framing it that way though doesn't change the here and now though that we have vaccines, it's a new time and conditions have changed.  The best thing we can do to help is take the vaccine, I assume we agree there.  But we both know it's not going to be mandated for everyone in the country.  If you want to take your time feeling bad for someone who chose not to take it, then you can do so.  I simply have never felt bad for people who willingly make a choice knowing the risk and suffer a bad outcome from it.  Now, if you want me to feel bad for the few people who might get sick, though likely not seriously, from catching covid from a non-vaccinated person even though they themselves were vaccinated, yes I would feel bad.

If Biden goes maskless a whole lot of people will assume “it’s over”, and many unvaccinated folks will go maskless, and some folks will catch COVID and some folks will die. 
Unvaccinated people aren't taking their cues from Biden.  They're going maskless now, and have been this whole time.  That's on Trump, among others.

What I'm more interested in is the phenomenon of people who seem to have a psychological hang-up with re-entering society. That group of people actually is mostly Biden-friendly and his messaging matters with that group.  

I don't really want to mandate it, but hopefully we find creative ways to "nudge" people to get vaccinated.  Once we reach herd immunity, I'll probably stop caring about it.  
It's fine to care, I care.  I want as many people to take it as we can get.  I think the government pushing it has limits though and mostly the people who are reluctant will actually be pushed moreso in that direction the more they feel the government is pushing it.

Terminalxylem said:
While that research letter is far from definitive, within the limits of the study (powered to detect a meaningful difference of 2%, IIRC), masks didn’t promote hypoxia.

I’m not sure about the physics of a moisture barrier, but we have no direct evidence impairment in gas exchange is relevant for mask wearers. But we do have at least a couple small studies which suggest otherwise. Here’s another one

I know it’s also a small group, but can you provide any data suggesting to the contrary?
I looked but all I could find were more small studies showing no evidence of increased hypoxia.  For example, this one looked at 30 total people doing 6 minutes of walking.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/face-masks-may-increase-feelings-of-breathlessness

Apparently the body’s pulmonary system is robust enough in general go maintain oxygen levels for brief times with (presumably) new, dry masks, so I will concede that point.

The above link is actually an interesting read around the subject of discomfort vs. true danger.  I like the PPE analogy — it may make you hot, uncomfortable, and sweaty, but your risk of true hyperthermia is fairly low.

I don't disagree with you.  The flip side is that Biden not wearing a mask sends a message to really dumb people that this is all over already, regardless of vaccination rates.   It's a tough balance.
Not really.  The message should be "Get vaccinated.  If you're not vaccinated, you should keep wearing a mask and stay home.  If you are vaccinated, do whatever you want."  It's not a complicated message.

I didn't come up with this analogy, but it's sufficiently wonderful and memorable enough that I'll steal it anyway.  What you're asking for is the equivalent of telling guys that they should wear a condom while they're enjoying quality alone time on Pornhub, because if they don't then really stupid people will think it's okay to go bareback at their local orgy.  Normal people don't actually have a difficult time distinguishing between those levels of risk.  

When the government warned people to evacuate New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina, we still tried to save the people that ignored that advice.  I see this as the same.  Just because someone has not been vaccinated yet is not a reason to just let them get sick and possibly die.  At least until we’ve made some serious efforts to help them.

Not really.  The message should be "Get vaccinated.  If you're not vaccinated, you should keep wearing a mask and stay home.  If you are vaccinated, do whatever you want."  It's not a complicated message.
All of the folks with the "govt shutdowns are destroying the economy" narrative would lose their minds if Biden went with your uncomplicated message.  That said, I would love to hear that message.

When the government warned people to evacuate New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina, we still tried to save the people that ignored that advice.  I see this as the same.  Just because someone has not been vaccinated yet is not a reason to just let them get sick and possibly die.  At least until we’ve made some serious efforts to help them.
And there is a not insignificant number of people who can't get vaccinated (my wife who is immuno-compromised) so I appreciate your opinion as well.

What I'm more interested in is the phenomenon of people who seem to have a psychological hang-up with re-entering society. That group of people actually is mostly Biden-friendly and his messaging matters with that group.  
Why do you care if people continue to avoid re-entering society?  I'd like to see life return somewhat to normal, but I really don't care if anyone else decides to hole up in their homes for the next 25 years.

Side note:  last Thursday was 2 weeks post-vaccine for me.  I celebrated by visiting a few vaccinated friends for dinner Thursday night, had an outdoor lunch with 3 vaccinated co-workers on Friday, and drove up to Wisconsin that afternoon to see my vaccinated parents for 24 hours.  It was awesome.   

And there is a not insignificant number of people who can't get vaccinated (my wife who is immuno-compromised) so I appreciate your opinion as well.
Yet another reason we should nudge people to get vaccinated as quickly as possible.  Can't imagine how scary and frustrating it must be (for your wife and/or you) to see folks just absolutely unwilling to get vaccinated.

I don’t have issue with Biden wearing a mask. I think it’s pretty obvious he’s broadcasting a message - masks are effective. It’s overly cautious but it is a painless, low effort way to protect people.

To your hurricane analogy. I don’t really think this analogy works but in any case if people refuse to get the vaccine after it has been available to them we are not choosing to let them get sick and die. They can go to the hospital, they can seek treatment. 

Yet another reason we should nudge people to get vaccinated as quickly as possible.  Can't imagine how scary and frustrating it must be (for your wife and/or you) to see folks just absolutely unwilling to get vaccinated.
Thanks.  Yeah, its a weird/tough time right now psychologically for her.  We have quite a vocal anti-vaxx minority in our area  which makes neighborhood social media one of the most depressing and angering places around.  And that's the adult vaccine.  I dread what the kids vaccine lunacy around here will be like as just the prospect of continued Fall masks in school has the crazies on tilt. Hopefully that 12-15 year old vaccine will be available way before the new Fall school year as that will ease the stress on 2 out of our 3 kids. I may have to get a fake ID for my 9 year old.

Why do you care if people continue to avoid re-entering society? 
It's an interesting psychological phenomenon.  Most of us, me included, spent a year and change literally conditioning ourselves to think that the air is poisonous and that other people pose direct and immediate dangers to us.  I found it easy to overcome that conditioning, but it's very obvious that other people are struggling with it.  

Otherwise, it doesn't affect me much one way or the other.  If you want to wear a mask after you've been vaccinated, great.  My approval or disapproval should be a matter of complete indifference to you, because it's none of my business.  Biden and other elected officials are fair game for criticism because they're not just random people on the street, but otherwise it doesn't matter to me as long as it doesn't affect policy.

In the case where vaccinations are required for going to work or other activities in the US:

How do we handle people we cannot get the vaccine (some sort of pre-condition)

How do we handle people that have received the first dose and had significant side effects and decide not to get the second dose.

How do we handle people that have received the second dose and had significant side effects and decide not to get the 3rd, 4th, 5th dose etc that are created for future variants or ongoing immunization.

I personally think the biggest problem with Biden's mask wearing is that it has no rhyme or reason to it. 

He takes photos indoors not wearing a mask. He speaks indoors, not wearing a mask. 

Then he wears a mask outdoors. 

Wtf kind of message is it to say mask up everybody, well except for photos and spewing aerosols during speeches???

How do we handle people we cannot get the vaccine (some sort of pre-condition)
Isnt this a crazy short list? 

I understand there are conditions where the vaccine may not work for some people, but I thought the list of people that cant actually get it was super small. 

Users who are viewing this thread