What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why no love for WR Bryant Johnson? (1 Viewer)

BigTex

Don't mess with Texas
Bryant Johnson seemed as if he was ready to take on the #2 spot then Arizona drafted Fitzgerald. When Boldin went down with the knee problems in 05 in filled in well, like wise last year when Fitz was out.

He's a big target with good hands and he runs well. Seems like he just got lost with two great receivers around him.

I'm I missing something here?

Also isn't he a FA after this season?

You answered your own question. He won't beat out Boldin or Fitz and will really only see a lot of targets if those guys are out of the lineup. He's not a bad guy to have around for fatnasy depth should either of the other guys get hurt, but he's tough to start for fantasy purposes as the Cards' #3 as he will have a couple decent weeks but you won't know when.

Bryant Johnson seemed as if he was ready to take on the #2 spot then Arizona drafted Fitzgerald. When Boldin went down with the knee problems in 05 in filled in well, like wise last year when Fitz was out.

He's a big target with good hands and he runs well. Seems like he just got lost with two great receivers around him.

I'm I missing something here?

Also isn't he a FA after this season?
Yes, he is.Id

I have him in two leagues, and am waiting for him to go somewhere else next year and be a nice, solid WR2.

David Yudkin said:
You answered your own question. He won't beat out Boldin or Fitz and will really only see a lot of targets if those guys are out of the lineup. He's not a bad guy to have around for fatnasy depth should either of the other guys get hurt, but he's tough to start for fantasy purposes as the Cards' #3 as he will have a couple decent weeks but you won't know when.
Hello Mr. Yudkin,Sorry, let me make it clearer, the question is really long term, i.e. after this year. In the past guys like Betts, Turner to name a few get a lot of hype and they backup the best in the business. Yet I've seen nothing but good things from Johnson who's a FA after this season and no one is talking about him. He seems to have #1 talent.A. Bryant gets hyped year after year, team after team and he gets one new thread a month. Yet here's a guy behind two of the best, who's performed very well when played and you hear nothing.Bryant Johnson is currently ranked #83 on the Wide Receiver ranking behind guys like A. Bryant, Wes Welker, Sinorice Moss, Mark Bradley just to name a few. This is laughable.Bryant Johnson was the 17th overall pick now all of a sudden he's ranked #83 in a Dynasty and he's in the last year of his contract. He's 6-2, 214 ran a 4.55-40 and in highschool he ran a 10.65 in the 100 meters. ;) It just seems like we're missing the mark BIG TIME on this one.:twocents:

jwb said:
I have him in two leagues, and am waiting for him to go somewhere else next year and be a nice, solid WR2.
I have him in one but really considering him in others and don't have a problem taking him after C. Johnson but before "ALL" other rookie wrs in this draft.

David Yudkin said:
Hello Mr. Yudkin,Sorry, let me make it clearer, the question is really long term, i.e. after this year. In the past guys like Betts, Turner to name a few get a lot of hype and they backup the best in the business. Yet I've seen nothing but good things from Johnson who's a FA after this season and no one is talking about him. He seems to have #1 talent.A. Bryant gets hyped year after year, team after team and he gets one new thread a month. Yet here's a guy behind two of the best, who's performed very well when played and you hear nothing.Bryant Johnson is currently ranked #83 on the Wide Receiver ranking behind guys like A. Bryant, Wes Welker, Sinorice Moss, Mark Bradley just to name a few. This is laughable.Bryant Johnson was the 17th overall pick now all of a sudden he's ranked #83 in a Dynasty and he's in the last year of his contract. He's 6-2, 214 ran a 4.55-40 and in highschool he ran a 10.65 in the 100 meters. :goodposting: It just seems like we're missing the mark BIG TIME on this one.:twocents:
I didn't realize you meant long-term. However, there are plenty of guys drafted earlier than he was in recent years that have not done very little to date (at least recently) including . . .Troy WilliamsonMike WilliamsMichael ClaytonCharles RogersDavid TerrellKoren RobinsonRod GardnerPeter WarrickTravis TaylorDavid BostonTroy EdwardsKevin DysonIke HilliardYatil GreenReidel Anthony I'm not saying Johnson will bomb some place else, but IMO he benefitted by being in an offense that passed a ton. The current Cardinals team may not pass that much and who knows where he could end up. He's someone worth stashing away if you have the roster space, but it's a gamble in that he could end up in an equally not great situation fantasy wise.

David Yudkin said:
Hello Mr. Yudkin,Sorry, let me make it clearer, the question is really long term, i.e. after this year. In the past guys like Betts, Turner to name a few get a lot of hype and they backup the best in the business. Yet I've seen nothing but good things from Johnson who's a FA after this season and no one is talking about him. He seems to have #1 talent.A. Bryant gets hyped year after year, team after team and he gets one new thread a month. Yet here's a guy behind two of the best, who's performed very well when played and you hear nothing.Bryant Johnson is currently ranked #83 on the Wide Receiver ranking behind guys like A. Bryant, Wes Welker, Sinorice Moss, Mark Bradley just to name a few. This is laughable.Bryant Johnson was the 17th overall pick now all of a sudden he's ranked #83 in a Dynasty and he's in the last year of his contract. He's 6-2, 214 ran a 4.55-40 and in highschool he ran a 10.65 in the 100 meters. :eek: It just seems like we're missing the mark BIG TIME on this one.:twocents:
I didn't realize you meant long-term. However, there are plenty of guys drafted earlier than he was in recent years that have not done very little to date (at least recently) including . . .Troy WilliamsonMike WilliamsMichael ClaytonCharles RogersDavid TerrellKoren RobinsonRod GardnerPeter WarrickTravis TaylorDavid BostonTroy EdwardsKevin DysonIke HilliardYatil GreenReidel Anthony I'm not saying Johnson will bomb some place else, but IMO he benefitted by being in an offense that passed a ton. The current Cardinals team may not pass that much and who knows where he could end up. He's someone worth stashing away if you have the roster space, but it's a gamble in that he could end up in an equally not great situation fantasy wise.
In all fairness Mr. Yudkin C. Rogers was the first taken in that draft that year as well as a few others on your list. I guess what I'm saying is, we've seen Johnson play and he's play very well overall and I think his dynasty ranking is waaaay off. No way guys like A. Byrant should be ahead of him as a matter of a fact, he's proven more than the 50 receivers ahead of him in the ranking and again he's a FA dream.........clearly a shark pickup. :)

When Boldin went down with the knee problems in 05 in filled in well, like wise last year when Fitz was out.
Disagree.What a lot of people don't realize is Johnson has had a ton of opportunities to show us what he can do. In his four seasons in the league he's averaged nearly 8 starts per season despite playing behind players like Boldin and Fitz. But has he "filled in well" when he's had is opportunites to start?'064/53/03/81/1 +4/48/01/9/0 --3/87/02/17/16/82/0 +1/40/1'051/12/0 --5/61/03/28/0 -6/66/1 +'042/9/0 --4/77/04/34/0 -0/0/0 --- WTF?3/20/0 -3/38/17/54/03/45/01/7/0 --6/53/03/39/0'032/22/0 -4/70/01/18/0 --1/6/0 --1/6/0 --3/40/06/86/0 +7/68/0 +Those are his 31 career starts; 5 good games, 4 poor games, 7 awful games and one game where he started and couldn't get on the stat sheet. What really stands out to me is the fact in 31 starts he couldn't muster ONE SINGLE great game (a 6+/100+/1+ game) Keep in mind this is a guy that has played on bad teams playing from behind with the opportuntiy to get plenty of garbage time stats and has also benefeited from playing across from two of the best WR's in the game to draw coverage away from him when he's started. I used to kind of be on this guys bandwagon in deep leagues but no more. He's had his shot and simply hasn't produced in pretty good situations. Looks good on paper, everything sounds rosey for him every summer, never pans out.

When Boldin went down with the knee problems in 05 in filled in well, like wise last year when Fitz was out.
Disagree.What a lot of people don't realize is Johnson has had a ton of opportunities to show us what he can do. In his four seasons in the league he's averaged nearly 8 starts per season despite playing behind players like Boldin and Fitz. But has he "filled in well" when he's had is opportunites to start?'064/53/03/81/1 +4/48/01/9/0 --3/87/02/17/16/82/0 +1/40/1'051/12/0 --5/61/03/28/0 -6/66/1 +'042/9/0 --4/77/04/34/0 -0/0/0 --- WTF?3/20/0 -3/38/17/54/03/45/01/7/0 --6/53/03/39/0'032/22/0 -4/70/01/18/0 --1/6/0 --1/6/0 --3/40/06/86/0 +7/68/0 +Those are his 31 career starts; 5 good games, 4 poor games, 7 awful games and one game where he started and couldn't get on the stat sheet. What really stands out to me is the fact in 31 starts he couldn't muster ONE SINGLE great game (a 6+/100+/1+ game) Keep in mind this is a guy that has played on bad teams playing from behind with the opportuntiy to get plenty of garbage time stats and has also benefeited from playing across from two of the best WR's in the game to draw coverage away from him when he's started. I used to kind of be on this guys bandwagon in deep leagues but no more. He's had his shot and simply hasn't produced in pretty good situations. Looks good on paper, everything sounds rosey for him every summer, never pans out.
FYI,Most of those were when Arizona opened in 3 wr sets. Boldin has missed 8 games and Fitz has missed 3, so those are the games that should be looked at, not all the ones you posted.edit: And I'm pretty sure LeRon McCoy started one game in 2005, because I picked him up and started him. :own3d: It was week 10 of 2005, a game that Boldin missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
BigTex,he stunk it up some weeks, he was feast or famine as their replacement
Of all the WR with 70+ targets he was #3 with 17.9 yds per catch, that has to say something no? :thumbup: :banned: You may certainly be right, I noticed him last year, I saw three games he seemed to catch all that came his way, I've been reading up on him some and I've yet to read anything negative.

You may certainly be right, I noticed him last year, I saw three games he seemed to catch all that came his way, I've been reading up on him some and I've yet to read anything negative.
This is how he replaced Fitz in weeks 6,7,8| 6 chi | 0 | 2 17 | 1 || 7 oak | 0 | 3 87 | 0 || 8 gnb | 0 | 1 9 | 0 |I've felt he was an up N comer for years now. He's a former first round pick so obviously he's loaded with talent but after 4 years he's not so much better than he was as a rook, better sure but not a whole lot.50 yards a week seem especially good to you for a WR? Well most of his career he doesn't even get that. 2 years ago, the #1 passing offense by yardage and how'd he do? Remember Boldin and Fitz are thriving in Arizona under the same circumstances and yet he's still struggling.IMO, it's time to cut the cord with him and quit hoping this will be his year over and over

Of all the WR with 70+ targets he was #3 with 17.9 yds per catch, that has to say something no?
Not unless your league gives points for YPC average for FF. My leagues don't and the NFL doesn't.Swervin Mervyn and James Jett ring any bells?

He's got WR2 upside if he ever goes to a team that doesn't have two Pro Bowlers in front of him.

You may certainly be right, I noticed him last year, I saw three games he seemed to catch all that came his way, I've been reading up on him some and I've yet to read anything negative.
This is how he replaced Fitz in weeks 6,7,8| 6 chi | 0 | 2 17 | 1 || 7 oak | 0 | 3 87 | 0 || 8 gnb | 0 | 1 9 | 0 |I've felt he was an up N comer for years now. He's a former first round pick so obviously he's loaded with talent but after 4 years he's not so much better than he was as a rook, better sure but not a whole lot.50 yards a week seem especially good to you for a WR? Well most of his career he doesn't even get that. 2 years ago, the #1 passing offense by yardage and how'd he do? Remember Boldin and Fitz are thriving in Arizona under the same circumstances and yet he's still struggling.IMO, it's time to cut the cord with him and quit hoping this will be his year over and over
Week 6 - Johnson started the game in the absence of Larry Fitzgerald. He began well with a six yard reception to convert on third and six. Leinart went back to Johnson at the end of the drive, and Johnson was able to cut past the closest defender for an 11 yard touchdown. He failed to catch any of the other passes thrown in his direction and finished with less targets than Troy Walters. Week 7 - Johnson stepped in for injured WR Larry Fitzgerald and responded with three catches for 87 yards. Johnson showed some big play ability, catching a 58 yard pass and also showed he has a good on the field IQ. He made a smart play, after a mid range reception, when he wasn’t touched by any Raiders’ defenders, got back to his feet, and gained some more yards after the catch. Week 8 - Johnson was guilty of at least one dropped pass, but many of the passes thrown his way were not catchable.

Of all the WR with 70+ targets he was #3 with 17.9 yds per catch, that has to say something no?
Not unless your league gives points for YPC average for FF. My leagues don't and the NFL doesn't.Swervin Mervyn and James Jett ring any bells?
So does Holt and TO but neither of these nor the ones you've listed have any affect on Johnson's abilities.

He's got WR2 upside if he ever goes to a team that doesn't have two Pro Bowlers in front of him.
What do you think of his routes and hands? I have always seen him as a faster Jerramy Stevens ...
Decent but not great routes, above average hands...you don't see him drop many catchable balls and he can make the tough catch as well. His strongest attribute appears to be his ability to get separation despite his above average size. That being said he's rarely running against the #1cb which is why you can't get too optimistic about him.It just took him a while to come into his own, but he's definitely better than a lot of WR2s floating around out there IMHO. He's going to get big time free agent dollars next year so he's a nice keeper stash...he should be right in his prime when he hits the market..

What do you think of his routes and hands? I have always seen him as a faster Jerramy Stevens ...
Decent but not great routes, above average hands...you don't see him drop many catchable balls. His strongest attribute appears to be his ability to get separation despite his above average size. That being said he's rarely running against the #1cb which is why you can't get too optimistic about him.It just took him a while to come into his own, but he's definitely better than a lot of WR2s floating around out there IMHO.

He's going to get big time free agent dollars next year so he's a nice keeper stash...he should be right in his prime when he hits the market..
I think he will have to have a very good year to make the kind of cash you are referring to. There are other WRs in the same state as Johnson like Drew Carter and Patrick Crayton, iirc. I see the WR of these three that has the best year, and improves the most, as getting the big contract. But, if Johnson has another year in 2007 like he had in 2006, he might have to settle for coming back to 'zona for a less than stellar deal. I expect one of the three WRs to re-sign with the current team, one signing for big cash, and the other moving on for an average deal.

I think he will have to have a very good year to make the kind of cash you are referring to. There are other WRs in the same state as Johnson like Drew Carter and Patrick Crayton, iirc. I see the WR of these three that has the best year, and improves the most, as getting the big contract. But, if Johnson has another year in 2007 like he had in 2006, he might have to settle for coming back to 'zona for a less than stellar deal. I expect one of the three WRs to re-sign with the current team, one signing for big cash, and the other moving on for an average deal.
I like Crayton more, Carter less. He'll land big money if he has another solid year.

Week 6 - Johnson started the game in the absence of Larry Fitzgerald. He began well with a six yard reception to convert on third and six. Leinart went back to Johnson at the end of the drive, and Johnson was able to cut past the closest defender for an 11 yard touchdown. He failed to catch any of the other passes thrown in his direction and finished with less targets than Troy Walters. Week 7 - Johnson stepped in for injured WR Larry Fitzgerald and responded with three catches for 87 yards. Johnson showed some big play ability, catching a 58 yard pass and also showed he has a good on the field IQ. He made a smart play, after a mid range reception, when he wasn’t touched by any Raiders’ defenders, got back to his feet, and gained some more yards after the catch. Week 8 - Johnson was guilty of at least one dropped pass, but many of the passes thrown his way were not catchable.
OK so you like him and I've had enough of the excuses and hear violins playing when people talk about it. I think we're done here bro, let's see how 07 works out :cry:

OK so you like him and I've had enough of the excuses and hear violins playing when people talk about it. I think we're done here bro, let's see how 07 works out :rolleyes:
:ph34r: You got it Bri :wall:

Thought I'd bump this with Johnson's pre-season numbers and get another round of takes as to a) Will he go to a team as a WR#1 b) Will he to to a team as a WR#2 c) Will he resign with ARI d) What kind of money will he get?

7 recp

150 yards

21.4 ypc

1 TD (also his longest reception for 58 yards)

*15.3 ypc if you remove his longest reception

Thought I'd bump this with Johnson's pre-season numbers and get another round of takes as to a) Will he go to a team as a WR#1 b) Will he to to a team as a WR#2 c) Will he resign with ARI d) What kind of money will he get?7 recp150 yards21.4 ypc1 TD (also his longest reception for 58 yards)*15.3 ypc if you remove his longest reception
People are just not sold on him, I'm thinking maybe it just took him a little longer to adapt to the flow of the game. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread