What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (1 Viewer)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
And the illegal scorpion threat crossing over our southern borders isn't going to just go away.  Who knows how many of those scorpions are terrorists intent on hurting and killing innocent Americans?  Meerkats can protect us from that threat and I, for one, won't sit idly by while a bunch of liberal Washington insiders try to take away my God given right to keep and bear meerkats!!!

Plus sometimes it's just fun to head out into nature to hunt and forage for some tasty rodents and trophy insects with my meerkat.  I am very proud of all the chitinous cockroach carapace trophies hanging above the mantle in my game room.  

I personally think Open Carry in public is  pretty pointless, potentially problamatic and would probably be a huge hassle in today's society with how people react to seeing a person with a gun.  I don't see why a designated driver can't have a gun at a bar. The blood alcohol level for carrying a gun is half for being able to drive a car. If I drink, I am not carrying. 

If you carry in a place with a gun free sign it is considered trespassing.  You will not be arrested for carrying unless you refuse to leave. As far as private property I treat it just like a gun free sign.  If I am asked to leave, I will do so. I would hope that with the lift of gun free zones, private property owners will realize that it only affects those who you would want around in the event of a shooter. 

I think a database would be a huge waste of money. However, if we regulate who can buy a gun through a license, the penalty for selling a gun to someone without a license would be massive. 
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/nra-donald-trump-armed-orlando-club-goers

Just to update this discussion, even Wayne LaPierre doesn't think guns in bars are a good idea.

Wayne LaPierre, who on Sunday said that he did not believe "you should have firearms where people are drinking."

Tough day for the anti-gun nuts.

Senate Votes Down 4 Measures Meant to Curb Gun Sales

Even tougher day for Pocahontas

:lmao:

So now the Orlando tragedy is ISIS related? Convenient. Obama and Hillary are going to be disappointed.
It is possible for it to have been both an ISIS related terrorist attack and an attack targeting the LGBT community.  

The GOP has been pushing Orlando as an ISIS related terrorist attack from the jump.  The fact that the GOP couldn't get their collective head out of the NRA's rectum long enough to vote to prevent suspected terrorists from buying guns is beyond pathetic and shameful.  A new word needs to be invented for how pathetic that is.

It is possible for it to have been both an ISIS related terrorist attack and an attack targeting the LGBT community.  

The GOP has been pushing Orlando as an ISIS related terrorist attack from the jump.  The fact that the GOP couldn't get their collective head out of the NRA's rectum long enough to vote to prevent suspected terrorists from buying guns is beyond pathetic and shameful.  A new word needs to be invented for how pathetic that is.
I vote for 'chaka' to be that new word.  

Tough day for the anti-gun nuts.

Senate Votes Down 4 Measures Meant to Curb Gun Sales

Even tougher day for Pocahontas

:lmao:

So now the Orlando tragedy is ISIS related? Convenient. Obama and Hillary are going to be disappointed.
Use of pejorative terms like "nuts" will not forward discussion.  While many on the reform or change the status quo side have misconceptions about firearms and the 2nd amendment they are good people who just want to see tragedies reduced.   Yes there are some with greater agendas, but not the vast majority.  the vast majority are good and caring folks.  perhaps an open, respectful, information based discussion with them would be productive.  What is rarely productive is alienating folks through name calling.

According to the latest polls, the "nuts" you just described include 92% of the American public. And they're angry about this vote. 

I suspect the tide is turning on this issue. This is going to be another one of those issues, like gay marriage, in which public opinion is going to force rapid changes. Any current victory for the NRA is temporary- they're on the wrong side of history. 

According to the latest polls, the "nuts" you just described include 92% of the American public. And they're angry about this vote. 

I suspect the tide is turning on this issue. This is going to be another one of those issues, like gay marriage, in which public opinion is going to force rapid changes. Any current victory for the NRA is temporary- they're on the wrong side of history. 
Pretty sure there will be some rapid sweeping action that will forever alter the how the Bill of Rights is interpreted. Younger Americans have already abandoned their personal privacy, so this follows. 

Add this to the list of changes including the federal income tax, the new deal, social security act, the now defunct defense of marriage act, the patriot act etc

History will judge the efficacy of the movement. We won't be here to know what the lasting effects will be.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/nra-donald-trump-armed-orlando-club-goers

Just to update this discussion, even Wayne LaPierre doesn't think guns in bars are a good idea.
Weird quote. 

NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre, who on Sunday said that he did not believe "you should have firearms where people are drinking."

Why not quote the entire statement?  Given the source it's totally clear. 

"No one thinks that people should go into a nightclub drinking and carrying firearms,"   NRA lobbyist Chris Cox

Well duh.

Weird quote. 

NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre, who on Sunday said that he did not believe "you should have firearms where people are drinking."

Why not quote the entire statement?  Given the source it's totally clear. 

"No one thinks that people should go into a nightclub drinking and carrying firearms,"   NRA lobbyist Chris Cox

Well duh.
Okay.

"I don’t think you should have firearms where people are drinking," said NRA Vice PresidentWayne LaPierre on CBS's Face the Nation.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/06/19/orlando-nightclub-patrons-shouldnt-have-been-armed-nra-says/86113928/

Doesn't make much sense to me.  Truth be told, I bet the number of guns in bars being carried illegally is a lot higher then you think. We have laws in place that prohibit carrying and drinking anywhere. I carry in a resturant where people are drinking. 
I think it's pretty high. And I think someone caught illegally carrying a firearm in a bar should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I think it's pretty high. And I think someone caught illegally carrying a firearm in a bar should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Well yeah.  (slightly off topic) Unless you play football for Alabama. 

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/06/prosecution_declined_on_all_ch.html

"I want to emphasize once again that the main reason I'm doing this is that I refuse to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and their teenage years, working and sweating, while we were all home in the air conditioning," Jones told KNOE.

Absolutley ridiculous.  Much larger problem then taking away guns as an answer. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yeah.  (slightly off topic) Unless you play football for Alabama. 

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/06/prosecution_declined_on_all_ch.html

"I want to emphasize once again that the main reason I'm doing this is that I refuse to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and their teenage years, working and sweating, while we were all home in the air conditioning," Jones told KNOE.

Absolutley ridiculous.  Much larger problem then taking away guns as a answer. 
This points out the systemic nature of a societal problem. Doing one thing to fix it, makes some people feel better but rarely solves anything. 

This points out the systemic nature of a societal problem. Doing one thing to fix it, makes some people feel better but rarely solves anything. 
Seriously.  Stanford rape judge says the same thing and there is outrage calling for the judge's seat. (Not saying I agree or disagree with the judge.)

Who thinks the courts recent "re-interpretation" the 4th Amendment is an isolated incident? All bets are off. SCOTUS appointments are even more important than ever... and we face the reality that 1 of 2 clowns that can't muster a positive approval rating will be deciding the fate of this nation.

Who thinks the courts recent "re-interpretation" the 4th Amendment is an isolated incident? All bets are off. SCOTUS appointments are even more important than ever... and we face the reality that 1 of 2 clowns that can't muster a positive approval rating will be deciding the fate of this nation.
The new court will undoubtedly roll back concepts now law on the 4th and 2nd amendment.  Those who currently think the decisions are wrong will want new decisions written in stone.  They will act as if those decisions bear the weight of constitutional amendments, they will be wrong and will see the pendulum swing again.

Use of pejorative terms like "nuts" will not forward discussion.  While many on the reform or change the status quo side have misconceptions about firearms and the 2nd amendment they are good people who just want to see tragedies reduced.   Yes there are some with greater agendas, but not the vast majority.  the vast majority are good and caring folks.  perhaps an open, respectful, information based discussion with them would be productive.  What is rarely productive is alienating folks through name calling.
Well said, and I fully admit, this was my reaction when I read his post. I didn't respond, and I'm glad I didn't. You were much more eloquent than I would have been.

I guess we can add killing and wounding a dozen police officers to the list.

Good thing we have so many of these in circulation bc they're fun. Way to go America!
Once again it looks like all the citizen good guys with guns weren't around to save the day.

NRA's biggest strength is everyone #####foots around them.  I am all for people having useful gun.  But you can't hedge if you are running for office.  I will give the NRA what they were founded for which is rifles.  All hand guns and autos are going to be done.  That is how I would run against then.  Run right at them.

Of course I don't go after weapons people already have but no new.  And we will buy yours back when you need rent or another hit on the pipe.

NRA's biggest strength is everyone #####foots around them.  I am all for people having useful gun.  But you can't hedge if you are running for office.  I will give the NRA what they were founded for which is rifles.  All hand guns and autos are going to be done.  That is how I would run against then.  Run right at them.
Handguns are the very foundation of self-defense / concealed carry. Of course they are also the source of the vast vast vast majority of gun crime.  That said, ask Chicago how handgun bans work out... 

Autos aren't a problem... they are quite literally a drop in the bucket with regards to crime as they are effectively illegal now without going through a ton of regulatory hoops and fees. 

Handguns are the very foundation of self-defense / concealed carry. Of course they are also the source of the vast vast vast majority of gun crime.  

Autos aren't a problem... they are quite literally a drop in the bucket with regards to crime as they are effectively illegal now without going through a ton of regulatory hoops and fees. 
Keep yours.  I'll have my shotgun in a home invasion.  Got to get them off the streets.

Keep yours.  I'll have my shotgun in a home invasion.  Got to get them off the streets.
I hear ya... problem is you'll never get them off the streets (see drugs, or chicago's handgun ban). All you're doing is making responsible citizens into sitting ducks unable to defend themselves. I could have a off-books pistol within 30 mins right now, and I'm far removed from the dark underbelly of the criminal world. 

Icon, real question.  You hit someone with a few rubber bullets, not enough?  I understand the drugged out thing, normal person.  Just wondering.  You know my wife carries, I think it is paranoid.  She is a great shot but crap underpressure 

I hear ya... problem is you'll never get them off the streets (see drugs, or chicago's handgun ban). All you're doing is making responsible citizens into sitting ducks unable to defend themselves. I could have a off-books pistol within 30 mins right now, and I'm far removed from the dark underbelly of the criminal world. 
Again, against new not old.

Icon, real question.  You hit someone with a few rubber bullets, not enough?  I understand the drugged out thing, normal person.  Just wondering.  You know my wife carries, I think it is paranoid.  She is a great shot but crap underpressure 
I hear ya buddy... rubber bullets of handgun caliber (which I'm not even sure they make, due to rifling) will likely only antagonize someone. Hell even shotgun rounds (most common) are going to hurt like hell but not actually stop anyone. 

I don't carry because I think I'm going to need it... I carry in CASE I need it. Keep in mind I live in Memphis. If I lived in Green Grass, Montana... I probably wouldn't carry daily unless it was to fend off wildlife. 

So where do the guys who could sell you a gun in 30 minutes get them?  They sure aren't manufacturing them.  Are they all stolen individually during burglaries?

Bottom line is we have allowed ourselves to become so gun permissive as a society that we have virtually unfettered access to them, legally or illegally.  But they all started off being manufactured by a legitimate business.  So where is the breakdown between those decent, law abiding, community pillar gun manufacturers and those dirty, low-life, criminals that have so many guns to put on the streets?  And why aren't we doing everything we can to shut that #### down?

So where do the guys who could sell you a gun in 30 minutes get them?  They sure aren't manufacturing them.  Are they all stolen individually during burglaries?

Bottom line is we have allowed ourselves to become so gun permissive as a society that we have virtually unfettered access to them, legally or illegally.  But they all started off being manufactured by a legitimate business.  So where is the breakdown between those decent, law abiding, community pillar gun manufacturers and those dirty, low-life, criminals that have so many guns to put on the streets?  And why aren't we doing everything we can to shut that #### down?
They are already doing a ####load (all they can, within budgetary constraints?) to get dirty guns off the streets. Constant buy-backs. Here, any gun crime = mandatory jail time. Period. NO leeway. No pleading. No Deals. There are lots of other initiatives... but when people have nothing to lose and aren't afraid of prison, what exactly are you going to do to deter them? 

Users who are viewing this thread