What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Favre take his ball and go home (1 Viewer)

Hoss_Cartwright

Footballguy
Vikings coach Brad Childress is leaning toward starting Tarvaris Jackson Sunday, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

The sentiment in some circles all along has been that Childress is a bigger obstacle for Favre than the ankle injury. We'll believe it when we see it, as it may be no more than gamesmanship to keep the Patriots guessing. Childress is taking it a "day at a time," and Favre intends to try to get in some practice work on Friday. If Favre can't do any on-field work before Sunday, it will increase the odds of Jackson starting. Randy Moss and Percy Harvin take a hit if Jackson does get the call. Oct. 29 - 8:13 am et

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

You think Favre will just hang it up if Chilly ends the streak for him?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking the same way. If Brett doesn't start he's played his last game in Minnesota.

Not sure, why would he quit? You gonna do some dog and pony show and take jsut hte first snap and then let tarvarias play to keep some streak going?

Favre is hurt and frankly has sucked anyway, take a seat pal.

I don't know, it almost seems like Childress has had his control of the team challenged. Make no mistake about it, Childress has been the object of lots of ridicule, some of it warranted. But he seemed like he's had enough of Brett Favre. If he is able to bench Favre this week (meaning ownership allows him to make the call and doesn't overrule him), he might just take the opportunity to do it just to reassert the fact that he's in charge. He just seems like he's to that point. He was pretty much saying in those interviews that he is done having Favre make him look like a joke.

I've been thinking the same way. If Brett doesn't start he's played his last game in Minnesota.
Why? Chillys jobs is to put the players on the field that gives Minny the best chance to win, not to worry about Farves ego. After seeing the 41 year old Farve gimping around at the end of last weeks game, then not praticing at all this week any coach worth his salt would give Jackson the start. Jackson is a fourth year guy..not a rookie. Minny needs a shot in the arm right now and Jackson may be that shot.

Nope. Say what you want about Favre but I doubt he will want to have his NFL career end with him essentially quitting on his team - regardless of whether he could use the injury as a reason why. From all accounts he still wants to play so I doubt he retires mid-season. What I think will be interesting is if Favre sits and Jackson does well and the Vikings win a game or two without Favre, does Childress have the stones to keep benching Favre if he gets healthy? I don't think Jackson is talented enough to pull that off but given all the crazy stuff that's gone on this season nothing would surprise me at this point.

Why? Chillys jobs is to put the players on the field that gives Minny the best chance to win, not to worry about Farves ego. After seeing the 41 year old Farve gimping around at the end of last weeks game, then not praticing at all this week any coach worth his salt would give Jackson the start. Jackson is a fourth year guy..not a rookie. Minny needs a shot in the arm right now and Jackson may be that shot.
The question was not what's in The Vikings' best interest. It was what would Favre do if benched.

Nope. Say what you want about Favre but I doubt he will want to have his NFL career end with him essentially quitting on his team - regardless of whether he could use the injury as a reason why. From all accounts he still wants to play so I doubt he retires mid-season. What I think will be interesting is if Favre sits and Jackson does well and the Vikings win a game or two without Favre, does Childress have the stones to keep benching Favre if he gets healthy? I don't think Jackson is talented enough to pull that off but given all the crazy stuff that's gone on this season nothing would surprise me at this point.
That will be the ideal situation in so many ways.

For one thing, Chilly won't bench Favre. This is just his weak attempt to force the Patriots to plan for both possiblities, but I doubt Bill Belichick is going to fall for it.

If he benches Favre in some attempt to prove his authority, I don't see that going over in the lockerroom. It's a little late for that.

Unless the players want Tavaris in there, which is possible I suppose.

On the other hand, what happens if Chilly benches Favre, Jackson stinks the joint up, they lose, then Favre says in a press conference that he could have played but it was Chilly's call to bench him. Is that a nail in the coffin for Chilly. The more conservative -- and safer route -- for him is to stick with the established starter in Favre.There are so many "what if" scenarios that you could make yourself dizzy with them. The real question is, who gives you a better chance to beat New England this Sunday -- Jackson or Favre? I have to say Favre, even with his "broke foot."

Not sure, why would he quit? You gonna do some dog and pony show and take jsut hte first snap and then let tarvarias play to keep some streak going?Favre is hurt and frankly has sucked anyway, take a seat pal.
I kinda would like to see Chilly do this.Start Favre for a play and pull him.You wanna keep your precious little streak? There ya go. :shrug: -QG

Not sure, why would he quit? You gonna do some dog and pony show and take jsut hte first snap and then let tarvarias play to keep some streak going?Favre is hurt and frankly has sucked anyway, take a seat pal.
I kinda would like to see Chilly do this.Start Favre for a play and pull him.You wanna keep your precious little streak? There ya go. :sleep: -QG
Do you think Favre would actually go along with that? Isn't it kind of Cheezy to start the game and come out after one play? Wouldn't that require an asterisk by that streak?

I kinda would like to see Chilly do this.Start Favre for a play and pull him.You wanna keep your precious little streak? There ya go. :sadbanana: -QG
Do you think Favre would actually go along with that? Isn't it kind of Cheezy to start the game and come out after one play? Wouldn't that require an asterisk by that streak?
Yes but the Colts have pretty much done with that with Peyton in recent years. Vikings did it with Cris Carter several years ago too. I think it cheapens the honor significantly and that's why I don't expect that to happen with Favre. If he plays, he'll play until he either gets hurt worse or Childress benches him.

Not sure, why would he quit? You gonna do some dog and pony show and take jsut hte first snap and then let tarvarias play to keep some streak going?

I kinda would like to see Chilly do this.Start Favre for a play and pull him.

You wanna keep your precious little streak? There ya go. :sadbanana:

-QG
Yes but the Colts have pretty much done with that with Peyton in recent years. Vikings did it with Cris Carter several years ago too. I think it cheapens the honor significantly and that's why I don't expect that to happen with Favre. If he plays, he'll play until he either gets hurt worse or Childress benches him.
Not because he was hurt they didn't. Only in meaningless games at the end of year, BIG DIFFERENCE !!

I kinda would like to see Chilly do this.Start Favre for a play and pull him.

You wanna keep your precious little streak? There ya go. :rant:

-QG
Not because he was hurt they didn't. Only in meaningless games at the end of year, BIG DIFFERENCE !!
Maybe to a slight degree. In any event I don't think this will happen Sunday. I can't see Childress starting Favre only to keep the streak alive and I can't see Favre going along with such a plan.

basher said:
he still has a lot of money to make this year.
If he doesn't start, maybe he can decide that his ankles DOES need surgery and head to the IR. He's out of the Vikings' hair and still gets paid.If the Vikings didn't have another game vs. Green Bay on the horizon, I'd think he might IR himself if the streak gets broken. But I'm not sure he doesn't want another shot at beating GB, even if it means sitting out for a week or two first.

This is not Chilly's choice to make.

I'd love to see him pull Favre mid game though because I highly doubt Favre would take a benching without a major protest. They might actually fight on the sidelines, that was be so fantastic to see.

I think Favre either plays 1Q or a close to a half... sucks it up again... then gets sacked and exaggerates the injury so he can come off the field.

TJax takes over and is the big WW pickup of the week after passing for 200 yds and 2 TD's for the 2nd half.

Favre starts talking retirement again to overshadow the texxxting/harrasment situation.

Speculation is fun.

This is interesting speculation, but I think some people have it wrong. Childress doesn't make that decision. Favre does. Favre has made those decisions since he joined the team. Childress gets knocked for not running the team because he doesn't.

If Favre wants to play, he'll be behind center on Sunday. I think it's that simple.

I don't think Favre would ever put himself ahead of the team. He is humble and self sacrificing, and likes to stay out of the limelight, always giving credit to others.

he's playing

Favre practices Friday, takes first-team reps

Brett Favre (ankle) returned to practice Friday and took all of the first-team reps during the media-access portion of the workout.

ESPN's Ed Werder predicts that Favre will start at New England, citing "the expectation of everyone" in the Vikings' organization. Werder noted that Favre got around "with a noticeable limp" in his high-top cleats, but looks poised to lead Minnesota onto the field against the Patriots. Randy Moss and Percy Harvin appear safe to use in fantasy leagues. Favre, though, is just our No. 16 quarterback for the week. Oct. 29 - 1:07 pm et

Hoss_Cartwright said:
QuizGuy66 said:
I kinda would like to see Chilly do this.Start Favre for a play and pull him.You wanna keep your precious little streak? There ya go. :shrug: -QG
Didn't say I thought Favre would willingly go along with it. Saying it would be funny if Chilly put him out there and then willfully pulled him.-QG

My hope:

Favre starts, Favre plays, Favre sucks, repeat

The Vikings deserve this for letting him toy with them and NFL fans deserve it for having to watch cut aways in coverage of international news to hear that Favre farted and it sounded like "I'm going to play."

My hope:

Favre starts, Favre plays, Favre sucks, repeat

The Vikings deserve this for letting him toy with them and NFL fans deserve it for having to watch cut aways in coverage of international news to hear that Favre farted and it sounded like "I'm going to play."
If he could actually do that I have to say that it might be worth the press coverage. :shrug: -QG

I told fellow Poker pro, Mike Schneider (Full Tilt pro from Minn) before the season that there was a greater than 50% chance Favre pulls a "Griffey" this season.

i don't think he'll quit but i can see a sudden turn for the worse for his ankle to where he can wear street clothes thru the rest of a 5-11 season and pull in the rest of the 20M

i don't think he'll quit but i can see a sudden turn for the worse for his ankle to where he can wear street clothes thru the rest of a 5-11 season and pull in the rest of the 20M
Yep, even Favre isn't that stupid. I'm sure the 20M plays a role, especially considering his wife will get half :blackdot:

I don't know, it almost seems like Childress has had his control of the team challenged. Make no mistake about it, Childress has been the object of lots of ridicule, some of it warranted. But he seemed like he's had enough of Brett Favre. If he is able to bench Favre this week (meaning ownership allows him to make the call and doesn't overrule him), he might just take the opportunity to do it just to reassert the fact that he's in charge. He just seems like he's to that point. He was pretty much saying in those interviews that he is done having Favre make him look like a joke.
This will not happen. Brett Favre calls the shots, not Childress.Childress has no spine. It will show on Sunday when Favre limps onto the field in New England.

he's playing Favre practices Friday, takes first-team reps Brett Favre (ankle) returned to practice Friday and took all of the first-team reps during the media-access portion of the workout.ESPN's Ed Werder predicts that Favre will start at New England, citing "the expectation of everyone" in the Vikings' organization. Werder noted that Favre got around "with a noticeable limp" in his high-top cleats, but looks poised to lead Minnesota onto the field against the Patriots. Randy Moss and Percy Harvin appear safe to use in fantasy leagues. Favre, though, is just our No. 16 quarterback for the week. Oct. 29 - 1:07 pm et
I just saw the report on NFL.com... sounds like he took snaps, but no drops (stationary throws only). Then they kicked the media out.Also, they showed a clip of him trying to walk around... looked pretty hobbled to me.I can't believe he gives MIN their best chance to win this weekend.

This will not happen. Brett Favre calls the shots, not Childress.Childress has no spine. It will show on Sunday when Favre limps onto the field in New England.
:( Is there a way to bet on this? Anyone know of a website that is giving odds on Favre starting?

Did you not read the bolded?

Vikings coach Brad Childress is leaning toward starting Tarvaris Jackson Sunday, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.The sentiment in some circles all along has been that Childress is a bigger obstacle for Favre than the ankle injury. We'll believe it when we see it, as it may be no more than gamesmanship to keep the Patriots guessing. Childress is taking it a "day at a time," and Favre intends to try to get in some practice work on Friday. If Favre can't do any on-field work before Sunday, it will increase the odds of Jackson starting. Randy Moss and Percy Harvin take a hit if Jackson does get the call. Oct. 29 - 8:13 am etSource: Minneapolis Star-TribuneYou think Favre will just hang it up if Chilly ends the streak for him?
My guess is no. When Farve is healthy, he'll start. If of course he isn't healthy for the rest of the season, he may have played his last game. But no way do they pay him whatever million and he's healthy and watching T. Jackson.Sure they want to see what they have in Jackson, but come on it only helps so much. They probably won't have Moss next year, so if he throws up a ball 50 yards downfield and Moss catches it, what am I supposed to take from that? Jackson will have plenty of time all summer and preseason to show what he can do. A healthy Farve plays and no, I don't believe if he is asked to sit because he's injured he will then not play when he's truly healthy.

My hope:Favre starts, Favre plays, Favre sucks, repeatThe Vikings deserve this for letting him toy with them and NFL fans deserve it for having to watch cut aways in coverage of international news to hear that Favre farted and it sounded like "I'm going to play."
I don't think Minnesota deserves it. They went after the guy who led them to what I thought was a dominant performance in the NFC Championship game. They weren't going back there with T. Jackson, they just weren't. At best they win what looks to be a competitive yet unspectacular division and lose early in the playoffs, at best.Things have basically turned out about as bad for the Vikings as you could have imagined. Somehow Farve gets caught up in a scandal with a woman, Farve is so injured that he looks like he can't play midseason, and if he does it's hard to imagine he could be effective.The way I look at it at least the Vikings went out swinging if it ends up like that. They had no shot of winning everything without him, and that's what it's all about, at least to me. They may have struck out but there's a lot of teams around the league that don't take their swing and stink every single year.

My hope:Favre starts, Favre plays, Favre sucks, repeatThe Vikings deserve this for letting him toy with them and NFL fans deserve it for having to watch cut aways in coverage of international news to hear that Favre farted and it sounded like "I'm going to play."
I don't think Minnesota deserves it. They went after the guy who led them to what I thought was a dominant performance in the NFC Championship game. They weren't going back there with T. Jackson, they just weren't. At best they win what looks to be a competitive yet unspectacular division and lose early in the playoffs, at best.Things have basically turned out about as bad for the Vikings as you could have imagined. Somehow Farve gets caught up in a scandal with a woman, Farve is so injured that he looks like he can't play midseason, and if he does it's hard to imagine he could be effective.The way I look at it at least the Vikings went out swinging if it ends up like that. They had no shot of winning everything without him, and that's what it's all about, at least to me. They may have struck out but there's a lot of teams around the league that don't take their swing and stink every single year.
Sure they had a chance. They could have traded for McNabb, who was coached by Childress back in Philly. They could have perhaps traded for Vick or Kolb. Same system.

Let Favre start. Send everybody out on really deep patterns that take a long time to develope. The Patriots will then settle the issue for everyone for the rest of the season.

Favre will start. If he completes a bomb or TD pass he'll jump around like a kid out there before forgetting to limp. If he throws an INT or gets sacked he'll act all injured and hobble around the field. Then he'll come out, having kept the streak alive and having gotten camera time for the evening highlights.

I don't think Tarvaris is as bad as so many others seem to. I think he is more likely to put up deep balls and let Randy Moss go get them. Favre doesn't seem to be doing this within the context of the offense and when he gets pressured he just jacks up balls that look like a game of Duck Hunt

I am not sure if TJ's game is suited to hitting Percy on crossing patterns with regularity but if he has any sort of connection with Harvin at all TJ's escapability in the pocket should lead to some nice open field opportunities for Harvin on bootlegs and broken plays where TJ escapes towards the sidelines.

The Vikings have been waiting for Favre to round into game shape, due to missing training camp, and they really can't afford to wait much longer. I think having to play in New England is less than ideal for both TJ and Favre but at some point the Vikings are going to have to either start preparing for next year, which means giving TJ a chance or make a turn around this year, which might come from either Favre or TJ. The question is, as it has been for awhile, how much longer can they afford to wait on Favre before giving TJ the chance?

Sabertooth said:
Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
Sure they had a chance. They could have traded for McNabb, who was coached by Childress back in Philly. They could have perhaps traded for Vick or Kolb. Same system.
Seriously, do you think Minnesota record would be any better with McNabb at the helm? Isn't the Washington offense statistically speaking one of the worst in the NFL? I am glad Minnesota kept their 1st round draft pick.

Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
I don't think Minnesota deserves it. They went after the guy who led them to what I thought was a dominant performance in the NFC Championship game. They weren't going back there with T. Jackson, they just weren't. At best they win what looks to be a competitive yet unspectacular division and lose early in the playoffs, at best.
I don't see how you can say something like this with any certainty.I have seldom seen a QB given fewer opportunities who people trust less than Tarvaris Jackson.

The guy has all the physical tools to get the job done and has been in the same offense for four years. I don't see why people don't give him a legitimate chance before completely writing him off.

Despite all his gaudy passing numbers, in the games that really matter, Favre has been far more prone to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory than the other way around. Now he's 41 years old, doesn't have his sea legs under him yet and is tanking while taking the Vikings with him. The Vikings can still salvage this season. But what can they honestly expect from Favre at this point?

Love how Brent reeled all of the suckers in again with his drama. Nice limp after the game last week. Got 'em again, Brent. :X

First off, Favre does not and would not fake a limp. You people who have never started a game only disrespect yourselves with such nonsense. They guy has played hurt so many times that he does not need to fake ANYTHING. Until you do, you are typing nonsense.

Second, he would never quit or retire midseason. He has never done anything or said anything to suggest this. He will sit on the bench like any other player.

If anything, his behavior has suggested exactly the opposite, revealing this as a poorly designed, or incredibly misinformed, fishing trip for gunkies.

Bad form, but the usual offenders have again shown their hatred. No surprise.

First off, Favre does not and would not fake a limp. You people who have never started a game only disrespect yourselves with such nonsense. They guy has played hurt so many times that he does not need to fake ANYTHING. Until you do, you are typing nonsense.Second, he would never quit or retire midseason. He has never done anything or said anything to suggest this. He will sit on the bench like any other player. If anything, his behavior has suggested exactly the opposite, revealing this as a poorly designed, or incredibly misinformed, fishing trip for gunkies. Bad form, but the usual offenders have again shown their hatred. No surprise.
Looks like he got you too. Congrats

Users who are viewing this thread