What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will lil Marvin H be worth the #1 dynasty pick? (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
Serious question.

Do I want the #1 pick? Of course. Might I get it? I really have a shot this year... But then I sit back and think to myself.... "Where is this kid gonna end up?"

Because for me, he is VERY likely to go top 5 in the NFL draft. Yes, I think his talent and skillset is THAT good. But now we have to look at what team will he be landing on, and what's their QB sitch looking like?

Carolina, Arizona, NE, Chicago, NYG, TEN are the top 6 at time of this posting. And goodness me, not one of those teams gives me any sort of confidence, bar MAYBE Arizona if Kyler still plays football next year. Does CHI take a WR, because they'd be2nd on the list....

Point is, those spots aren't just ugly, they're FUGLY. Jets Atlanta and TB following close behind, goodness me I'm starting to feel nauseous for Marvin. Washington might be his ONLY saving grace, and I don't think they go WR

"Always draft for talent", I know... But sometimes situation forces me to do otherwise. So man, I don't know... Am I/you taking him #1 in dynasty?

**** I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR SUPERFLEX, BUT SURE, INCLUDE THAT CRUD IF YOU WANT xoxo ****

If Chicago gets him, they must feel good with Fields moving forward. they will have a new OC for sure, and most likely a new coach.

Easily the #1 pick in non-SF leagues. It’s tougher in Superflex.

on talent, absolutely... But then I look at some potential superstar WRs that are also coming out, that will likely end up on teams with good to excellent QBs and I pause.

QB situations can change pretty quick. Marvin Harrison Sr did not get Peyton until a couple of years later. Same with Calvin Johnson and Stafford.

absolutely. but can you COUNT on that? me, I don't..... I force myself to look at the now, cuz down the road is just as likely as bad or worse.

on talent, absolutely... But then I look at some potential superstar WRs that are also coming out, that will likely end up on teams with good to excellent QBs and I pause.
I wouldn’t pause.

When the likes of guys like bowers, egbuka, nabers, odunze and franklin are out there, and may in end in glorious situations, I pause...

Again, I'm taking Marvin #1. I am. I will. No matter what.

But will it be the correct decision?

I wouldn’t pause.

When the likes of guys like bowers, egbuka, nabers, odunze and franklin are out there, and may in end in glorious situations, I pause...

Again, I'm taking Marvin #1. I am. I will. No matter what.

But will it be the correct decision?
I have my doubts about Egbuka, Odunze and Franklin at the next level. Certainly not on the same planet as Harrison.

Yeah, I mean he could end up in a shaky landing spot but he's as real of a deal as they come. He's on that Chase-Calvin-Larry dynasty level prospect.
I agree, but there is something to be said about poor QB play. Big difference between college and the NFL. That being said, there is no way on God’s green earth I take any other WR over Harrison.

If Chicago gets him, they must feel good with Fields moving forward. they will have a new OC for sure, and most likely a new coach.
There’s a decent chance Fields gets traded, the bears draft Caleb or Maye and MHJr.

Carolina, Arizona, NE, Chicago, NYG, TEN are the top 6 at time of this posting. And goodness me, not one of those teams gives me any sort of confidence, bar MAYBE Arizona if Kyler still plays football next year. Does CHI take a WR, because they'd be2nd on the list....

Point is, those spots aren't just ugly, they're FUGLY.
Levis to MHJr could be a thing of beauty. IF the titans can fix their turnstile of a line.

There’s a decent chance Fields gets traded, the bears draft Caleb or Maye and MHJr.

Levis to MHJr could be a thing of beauty. IF the titans can fix their turnstile of a line.
Totally against drafting a qb at 1.1. The chance of that pick busting on a qb sets you back for years. Just as good a chance of a lower round qb succeeding if given a great supporting cast.

Levis is not the QB I want with MHJ.

Totally against drafting a qb at 1.1. The chance of that pick busting on a qb sets you back for years. Just as good a chance of a lower round qb succeeding if given a great supporting cast.
Not too many teams picking at 1.1 have a great supporting cast. If you have the first pick and need a QB, you are crazy if you do anything but take one.

QB situations can change pretty quick. Marvin Harrison Sr did not get Peyton until a couple of years later. Same with Calvin Johnson and Stafford.

absolutely. but can you COUNT on that? me, I don't..... I force myself to look at the now, cuz down the road is just as likely as bad or worse.
It's dynasty, for WR you take the talent first, situation second.

Yep situations can change quick.

And lots of Wrs can do well in bad situations. Garrett Wilson?
Hell souls favorite guy ever had a top season with crap at QB in cleveland

True but there are different kinds of bad situations. There's bad QB with a good D and the team just tries to shorten the game and take no risks. Then there's bad offense with bad defense where the coach just says F IT and lets the QB sling it.

True but there are different kinds of bad situations. There's bad QB with a good D and the team just tries to shorten the game and take no risks. Then there's bad offense with bad defense where the coach just says F IT and lets the QB sling it.
Agree, but those situations also change.
Now picture the lesser talent in that situation. Turns into a total dud

Agree, but those situations also change.
Now picture the lesser talent in that situation. Turns into a total dud
Oh yeah, I am 100% team draft talent not situation.

Exactly what I was going to post. Depends on the league, scoring, etc.

IMO single QB, PPR, MH2 is easily 1.01

SF changes everything, but then it comes down to team needs. If you’re sitting there with Mahomes/TLaw, then absolutely take MH2 1.01

Or deal the pick to 1.02 if they need a QB & take MH2 & a small profit.

SF changes everything, but then it comes down to team needs. If you’re sitting there with Mahomes/TLaw, then absolutely take MH2 1.01

You play in leagues where guys move down for small profits? I wish I had people like that in my leagues :lmao:

You play in leagues where guys move down for small profits? I wish I had people like that in my leagues :lmao:
Not often. But it happens.

Isn't the subtext of this question: is there a college RB coming out who could be more valuable in fantasy than Marvin H Jr? I don't know college football well enough to know that answer but the #1 pick in dynasty is not always about top talent, but supply/demand and the landing spot matter. Since I don't know that answer, I assume Marvin is the presumptive 1.01 in dynasty but it wouldn't shock me if a good-to-great RB came out and, if it's a thin class, the case could be made to pick that guy first.

Isn't the subtext of this question: is there a college RB coming out who could be more valuable in fantasy than Marvin H Jr? I don't know college football well enough to know that answer but the #1 pick in dynasty is not always about top talent, but supply/demand and the landing spot matter. Since I don't know that answer, I assume Marvin is the presumptive 1.01 in dynasty but it wouldn't shock me if a good-to-great RB came out and, if it's a thin class, the case could be made to pick that guy first.
IMO it's a very weak RB class- at least at the top. Nobody I would put anywhere near the Bijan, Gibbs, Breece, ETN, etc of recent years.

In PPR Garrett Wilson is WR25 and less than .7 point per game from WR18. That's one hell of a floor.
There are two that could easily get there if they go to a sweetheart spot.

In PPR Garrett Wilson is WR25 and less than .7 point per game from WR18. That's one hell of a floor.
Yep, he hasn't been catastrophic or anything. Right there in the Olave, Devonta Smith, Waddle territory- useful and still young with lots of upside. He's not winning you anything but he's not the reason you are losing either. Still if we are talking about spending the 1.01 in a rookie draft, you would really want more than 2 years of 12-13 ppr ppg. But yes, it's a nice safe floor.

It is.

Based on peoples comments so far there is not a RB worthy of consideration over Marvelous part 2.

However there are some good RB prospects out there who if drafted high enough and into a good situation might be able to change that tune. In fact there are a handful of them who get pretty strong grades depending on what source for this you may be looking at.

Its just that none of them to my knowledge are being mocked as 1st round picks right now. Combine numbers and other factors could change that later on.

Based on 1st round mock drafts (which I have only looked at a few) this draft class looks strong at QB and WR which overshadows the RB prospects somewhat.

Then again in todays NFL RBs are under valued and its becoming more consensus opinion that RB are not worth 1st round draft picks, while QBs and WR certainly are.

There also has been a shift in dynasty manager perspective about roster construction that favors valuing WR over RB because of the generally greater length of the WR careers compared to the RB careers. This is a notion that I mostly agree with. I have said many times that one builds the core of their fantasy team with top WR talents that have some staying power for 5 or more years and to not invest in RBs until your team is a contender, and then add RB as the final piece to contend for championships.

Teams who earned the 1st overall pick in a dynasty rookie draft are unlikely to have a championship caliber team, so they should not be focused on RB. However sometimes championship caliber teams end up with the 1st overall pick due to trades and in this case they have a harder decision as far as drafting a RB who might be able to help their team right away or selecting the best player available which is probably Harrison even though they already have many good WR on their team and Harrison may not impact their bottom line as much as a RB could. Of course such teams can just draft Harrison and trade away one of their other WR for a RB to get to where they want to go.

Anyhow there do seem to be some good RB that will be available in the 2024 draft. However there are a lot of different forces against them as far as them contending for 1st pick consideration in a dynasty draft right now.

There are two that could easily get there if they go to a sweetheart spot.
Which two RB do you think are far and away better than the rest?

From what I am looking at there are some good grades on 6 to 10 different RBs and who are the top ones seems to vary from different sources.

Users who are viewing this thread