What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Roger Goodell create a Civil War in the NFL? (2 Viewers)

Is your question more a statement on how you're struggling to come to terms with the fact that this program even existed with the Saints?
Explaining, not advocating:His angle is that the bounty payments weren't big enough to change behavior. While this take is very strictly true IMHO, it discounts completely the non-monetary psychological motivation behind any kind of extra prize for performance.
Ok. I'd argue that the $ amount is inconsequential in promoting/deterring behavior change, but as you aptly put it above, we'll get derailed here.Culture change is the thrust of this thread. OP doesn't like it. I do. Or, at least I like the direction the NFL is moving toward.

His angle is that the bounty payments weren't big enough to change behavior. While this take is very strictly true IMHO, it discounts completely the non-monetary psychological motivation behind any kind of extra prize for performance.
:goodposting: This has been my argument all along amongst my circle of friends. The money is secondary to the accolades from other players and from their coaches (who are father figures to a good number of these kids). Praise is an EXCEPTIONALLY strong motivator, especially in a close-knit social situation like a team lockerroom. Yes, the "illegal" aspect of the bounties (per the NFL rules) was the additional money, but Goodell is taking aim at the non-monetary motivators because he feels, as do many of us, that it doesn't belong in the arena of professional sports.

$1,000 to a guy making $1,000,000 a year is the equivalent of $50 to a guy making $50,000 per year.

$10,000 to a guy making a million is the equivalent of $500 to a guy making $50,000 per year.

Let's say a guy here on this board is (naturally) in a FF league) and let's say he makes $50,000. Let's say the pot for winning that league is $500 and let's say some consolation prize like third place or something is $50.

Let's say you're that guy. Now I ask you, would you CHEAT, COLLUDE, underhandedly conspire to win your league or that third place prize for $500 or $50 (or less if you make less, or maybe more if you make more)?

My guess is you would say a "HELL NO". So if that's true, you wouldn't but an NFL football player would?

Why again?
People collude in $50 leagues. People collude in free leagues. There are plenty of reported instances of wealthy athletes not wanting to pay paltry sums like the cost of a meal.Though really the dollar worth of the bounty is a minor issue. It completely neglects a much more major player motivation - pleasing the coach. The coach is the one who decides who gets playing time, who gets to keep their job, who gets cut, and how much a player is worth in his contract. There is great truth to the statement that athletes are conditioned to please their coach, especially in football, and an NFL player's financial livelihood is very tied to doing so.

If a coach comes out and says I want you to go rupture this guy's ACL, even without an on-the-spot offer of a bounty payment, there is plenty of financial incentive for a player to do what his coach asks. Especially amongst those who find themselves in open competition for their job.

I think it's time to start considering Goodell as a great commissioner, to be honest.
Yeah, the same commish who fought tooth and nail to keep chris nowinski away from talking to the media about his book on concussions in 2007.
How did he exactly fight tooth and nail for this? Goodell was, like tags before him, skeptical and uninformed about concussions in the early part of 2000. This much seems to be true based on my colleagues who presented data to the NFL about 8 years ago or so. But, I was unaware of his attempts to conceal the issue.Anyway, since that time, he has been an essential/integral part of changing the culture and conditions in a tangible way to prevent and manage head injuries. This is just an undeniable fact. He has done a tremendous job in this regard. Whatever ignorance he and the powers that be within the NFL showed early on has evolved a fll 180 degrees to the extent that now the NFL is doing more to promote research, player safety, and filter this model down to the college, high school, and youth leagues. I cannot say enough about how important Goodell has been in making this initiative (concussion/head injury specific) a reality.

I think it's time to start considering Goodell as a great commissioner, to be honest.
Yeah, the same commish who fought tooth and nail to keep chris nowinski away from talking to the media about his book on concussions in 2007.
How did he exactly fight tooth and nail for this? Goodell was, like tags before him, skeptical and uninformed about concussions in the early part of 2000. This much seems to be true based on my colleagues who presented data to the NFL about 8 years ago or so. But, I was unaware of his attempts to conceal the issue.Anyway, since that time, he has been an essential/integral part of changing the culture and conditions in a tangible way to prevent and manage head injuries. This is just an undeniable fact. He has done a tremendous job in this regard. Whatever ignorance he and the powers that be within the NFL showed early on has evolved a fll 180 degrees to the extent that now the NFL is doing more to promote research, player safety, and filter this model down to the college, high school, and youth leagues. I cannot say enough about how important Goodell has been in making this initiative (concussion/head injury specific) a reality.
Not really sure what Nowinski meant by the NFL fighting him tooth and nail. One of his first contributions as a commissioner, 6 months into his regime, was to push for the first ever concussion summit, requiring the medical staff from every NFL team to attend and made baseline neuropsychological testing a requirement. Since then, return to play guidelines have been established for the first time. Again, tags was agnostic to the whole concussion issue, and in fact resembled the tobacco industry in its head-in-the-sand approach to cigarettes and cancer. It's very difficult to make the same argument for Goodell. He gets it.

$1,000 to a guy making $1,000,000 a year is the equivalent of $50 to a guy making $50,000 per year.

$10,000 to a guy making a million is the equivalent of $500 to a guy making $50,000 per year.

Let's say a guy here on this board is (naturally) in a FF league) and let's say he makes $50,000. Let's say the pot for winning that league is $500 and let's say some consolation prize like third place or something is $50.

Let's say you're that guy. Now I ask you, would you CHEAT, COLLUDE, underhandedly conspire to win your league or that third place prize for $500 or $50 (or less if you make less, or maybe more if you make more)?

My guess is you would say a "HELL NO". So if that's true, you wouldn't but an NFL football player would?

Why again?
People collude in $50 leagues. People collude in free leagues. There are plenty of reported instances of wealthy athletes not wanting to pay paltry sums like the cost of a meal.Though really the dollar worth of the bounty is a minor issue. It completely neglects a much more major player motivation - pleasing the coach. The coach is the one who decides who gets playing time, who gets to keep their job, who gets cut, and how much a player is worth in his contract. There is great truth to the statement that athletes are conditioned to please their coach, especially in football, and an NFL player's financial livelihood is very tied to doing so.

If a coach comes out and says I want you to go rupture this guy's ACL, even without an on-the-spot offer of a bounty payment, there is plenty of financial incentive for a player to do what his coach asks. Especially amongst those who find themselves in open competition for their job.
I thought about deleting my comment after reading Doug's response, thinking maybe he had a point and I did not want to step on the thread.But then I see the resposnse and I re-read MOP's post and so yes I am thinking about the culture conflict (or civil war) that may or may not be brewing.

The way I see this is a 90 year old league itself based on a sport that had been brought from the brink of extinction when people were *dying*, literally, around the turn of the century.

And then I see the point further above about the NFL seeking to take the monetary incentive out of injuring players totally out of the game.

I think Doug was speaking about not turning this into one of the other now nearly exhausted threads about the Saints' awareness of what was going on and the defensibility of it. I get that.

However the issues merge.

Examples:

- The Giants knocked out 5 QB's in 7 games in 2010, they went 5-2 in that stretch. The point here is not that 'everyone does it', the point is that knocking out QB's wins games.

- The only game-changing injury that I recall in the Saints 9ers playoff game was Patrick Willis knocking out Pierre Thomas, a LEGAL play which caused Thomas to leave the game, which cost the Saints 3 points, which cost the Saints a fumble and more points later when Sproles was taken out on kick returns and Roby came in and fumbled, etc. The point being not that 'everyone does it' but that knocking a player out of a game on purpose or not is still LEGAL in some circumstances and that doing so to the right player can win a game.

The NFL still pays teams' players - all of them, not just one - to win playoff games.

- So, Jay Cutler is knocked out of the NFCC game in 2010, and they went on to win the SB the year after the Saints' SB win. That did not guarantee a win for the Pack - but for anyone who saw Collins and Hanie afterwards know it pretty much sealed the deal. How did Cutler get hurt? Did he really wimp out in the biggest game of his life (is there a better term - he was called some bad things) or did Packers LB Walden hit him in the knee on a running play two plays before?

1:23-1:26 - Cutler is (possibly) popped in the knee/leg by Erik Walden, Packer OLB on a *running* play. One play later Cutler is out the game. Walden personally made at least $80,000 off that play considering the NFL BONUSES for winning that game, making the SB and then winning the SB.

My point here is NOT "everybody does it." My point here is that whether it was intentional or not, Packers-Bears NFCC game or otherwise the NFL pays every team for appearing and then again for winning a playoff game.

>>>> "(NFL) players earn $21,000 for winning a wild-card game and $19,000 for losing one. That rises to $21,000 for the divisional round and $38,000 for the conference championship game. Players on a Super Bowl winner receive $83,000 each; the losers get $42,000 each."<<<

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0611/Playoff-Perks-For-Pro-

And the chances of winning go way, way, way up when the QB is taken out in this game, and in the modern version it is far more than ever because the QB is far more important than ever. In fact you could argue the new concussion rules actually INCREASE the incentive to hit the QB in the head because now it is far easier to get a player knocked out. The days of Y. A. Tittle playing with a cracked sternum and a concussion are over.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/727/442/ya-tittle_display_image.jpg?1297821396

So while the NFL seems to be sending a message that the cultural rules of the NFL - what goes on inside the locker room - have to change, because coaches and players had better not be caught discussing injury lists or (allegedly) conspiring to take advantage of those injuries by exacerbating them, the reality is that the NFL pays players for doing just that. And yes then there is the incentive for just being the champion.

Not a defense of the Saints here, just brutal cold reailty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was his other option NOT telling anyone why he was about to suspend a coach?
He had some other options:a) a repeat of the sotto voce league-wide warnings of 2010, this time with penalties explicitly spelled out.

b) another approach entirely: make the initial investigations into NFL bounty and/or "pay for big plays" systems public back in 2010, fine/penalize any franchises that were then involved (well less than current Saints penalties, though), and carry on.

Although with the opportunity to execute (b) above passed, the league may have painted itself into a corner once the Saints' insider came forward with new information in 2011.
Really glad you pointed out that Goodell did NOT go public with this before. Boy, it really slams home the point that Goodell has done everything in his power to keep this from the public. Goodell went public when he had to, after everyone involved with the Saints lied, and he was sure punishments were going to be handed out.

I got to meet Deacon Jones and his wife in Southern California by accident, went straight for the head slap question. He was honest and said he did everything he could to force the NFL to create rules against that type of play. Meaning he knew what he was doing. I'm almost sure the NFL outlawed the head slap because of folks like Deacon Jones but maybe my NFL history is a bit off. The bottom line for some of us is we do not believe Roger Goodell is truly concerned about player safety and we simply are calling a spade a spade. Does it mean we are 100% right? It's an opinion...I feel it is rooted in many truths however that said I totally understand the outrage by some posters over what New Orleans did. I get that some folks were shocked...too many casual fans as stated in the OP so of course this was front page news for some of them..."Look Dan, some of these guys were actually headhunting!"And don't take this the wrong way folks but quite frankly the fact so many think Goodell is a God does nothing to deter us from expressing our opinions. I feel he has turned the game into something different than what I grew up watching and not by a little but a lot. You can feel different but it doesn't change our opinions and doesn't make you more right because you might be on the majority side for now. I think eventually folks will wake up and eventually more folks will write about this in the press.
I think he is truly concerned about player safety...but it stems more from $$.
That's my point. I'm not saying you proved my point SN, not at all. Sure, for the record I believe Goodell is trying to curb concussions and injuries within the game, almost no doubt about it. However I believe his reasons are very insincere.

Can you flesh this out a bit? My biggest issue with LeBatard's article is that I think the **last** thing that Goodell wants is this in the news.
If that were true ... does Goodell still release the initial information about the investigation on March 2nd? Goodell controlled whether or not this would all be released to begin with.
What did you think of LeBatard's article?
Well-written hatchet job. LeBetard's theory that the NFL is somehow dragging this out to keep it in the news is funny, at best. His proof, that the NFL broke its own scandal, is a joke. He knows normally it is the media that breaks stories. No one had this scoop, the NFL couldn't keep it a secret ANY LONGER, as punishments were coming, and broke their own story. On a Friday, the best chance of a story dying, BTW. This was a massive story, the fact that it wasn't wrapped up quickly should have been expected. If LeBetard wants to compare of to past scandals, which he didn't I noticed, it may have lent some credence to his baseless speculation.

It also has nothing to do with the point anyone is trying to make in this thread. Of course, these points have been boiled down to "I am calling a spade a spade, and you guys just think Goodell is God.". Openminded posts like that make me wonder why people even bother trying to explain the other side. We are about a page away from you putting your fingers in your ears and saying "blah blah blah, I can't hear you, blah blah blah..."

Can you flesh this out a bit? My biggest issue with LeBatard's article is that I think the **last** thing that Goodell wants is this in the news.
If that were true ... does Goodell still release the initial information about the investigation on March 2nd? Goodell controlled whether or not this would all be released to begin with.
Well-written hatchet job. LeBetard's theory that the NFL is somehow dragging this out to keep it in the news is funny, at best. His proof, that the NFL broke its own scandal, is a joke. He knows normally it is the media that breaks stories. No one had this scoop, the NFL couldn't keep it a secret ANY LONGER, as punishments were coming, and broke their own story. On a Friday, the best chance of a story dying, BTW. This was a massive story, the fact that it wasn't wrapped up quickly should have been expected. If LeBetard wants to compare of to past scandals, which he didn't I noticed, it may have lent some credence to his baseless speculation.

It also has nothing to do with the point anyone is trying to make in this thread. Of course, these points have been boiled down to "I am calling a spade a spade, and you guys just think Goodell is God.". Openminded posts like that make me wonder why people even bother trying to explain the other side. We are about a page away from you putting your fingers in your ears and saying "blah blah blah, I can't hear you, blah blah blah..."
Thanks

So while the NFL seems to be sending a message that the cultural rules of the NFL - what goes on inside the locker room - have to change, because coaches and players had better not be caught discussing injury lists or (allegedly) conspiring to take advantage of those injuries by exacerbating them, the reality is that the NFL pays players for doing just that. And yes then there is the incentive for just being the champion.

You just unintentionally highlighted what the cultural battle is.The NFL does not pay players to cause or exacerbate injures. The NFL plays players to play hard and try to win their games cleanly.

The fact that injuring an opposing player can help one win does not mean the player is being paid to create injuries.

I am being paid to make my company money. Just because I can make my company money by making a bribe doesn't mean they are paying me to make bribes.

You just unintentionally highlighted what the cultural battle is.The NFL does not pay players to cause or exacerbate injures. The NFL plays players to play hard and try to win their games cleanly.

The fact that injuring an opposing player can help one win does not mean the player is being paid to create injuries.

I am being paid to make my company money. Just because I can make my company money by making a bribe doesn't mean they are paying me to make bribes.
Well, ok, point understood.But if so this goes one way or the other: either MOP is right and there will now be a chilling effect in NFL lockers rooms and on the field where coaches and players will be too afraid to appear to be targeting other players, which will lead to a ping-pong like or Arena style of play, OR the players will still be just as incentivized as ever to take out other players.

Now you say Patrick Willis had no incentive to hit Pierre Thomas in the head? And he and his team had no benefit out of that?

By the way I think the NFL bonus is more like a company bonus, not a bribe - you may have earned that bonus the right way or the wrong way but either way the company pays for it. But, unlike your company, breaking the rules (and what Willis did was legal by the way) in the NFL by purposefully knocking a player out can greatly increase the likelihood of receiving that bonus. Why is the NFL paying that bonus again? [Edit: point being your company will can you if they find you've been underhanded, but the NFL will not suspend every player who knocks out another player but we do know they will pay them if they do it to the right victim such that they win the game for it].

And all this talk of Goodell looking out for the players' health: well, great, when does Goodell sign Steve Gleason a check for his ALS?

Now you say Patrick Willis had no incentive to hit Pierre Thomas in the head? And he and his team had no benefit out of that?
I did? :confused: Could you point me to where I said that? Or point to where anyone said it, for that matter.

...But if so this goes one way or the other: either MOP is right and there will now be a chilling effect in NFL lockers rooms and on the field where coaches and players will be too afraid to appear to be targeting other players, which will lead to a ping-pong like or Arena style of play, OR the players will still be just as incentivized as ever to take out other players....
I think saying it's going to significantly change the physicality of the game towards ping pong or Arena is hyperbole.Institutionalized encouragement to injure from the teams may (should) go away. The same incentive (winning) is there as before, only now there is a big enough punishment most teams won't want to get caught at it. Teams will likely shy away from that, fearing a whistle blower. Individual players like a James Harrison who have done it whether on their own or under coach guidance, will continue to do it. Because it's not that hard to hide the intent to injure someone else in the violence of football as long as you aren't an idiot in how you go about it. Even if it looks like you're doing it, it's difficult to sufficiently prove that you did without someone supplying evidence. It took the Saints basically telling the Vikings they'd targeted Favre for an investigation to happen that didn't find proof, until the whistle blower. That's why it happens in football and not so much baseball or basketball. They have the same incentive (winning) in those sports, they just don't play in sports with enough contact to be able to hide it and get the benefit of the doubt.I'm sure there will be less head hunting, but it's silly to think it would go away when the people doing it before were already willing to break the rules to do it. It'll just come down to how likely they think they'll be caught. For an individual player acting on his own, that's not very likely.

But if so this goes one way or the other: either MOP is right and there will now be a chilling effect in NFL lockers rooms and on the field where coaches and players will be too afraid to appear to be targeting other players, which will lead to a ping-pong like or Arena style of play, OR the players will still be just as incentivized as ever to take out other players.
100% agree with this. Players already were trying to make Goodell out to be a Shawshank Prison Warden and on some level they should take solace in the fact he was harsh to the coaches and those in charge...however when the player suspensions come I have a feeling there will be some fines handed out for tweets commenting on those suspensions.

Exactly
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Then you shouldn't need to post that :)
For a guy still angling for a FBG gig, I would expect you to be rooted in facts. The criticism of Goodell is not in this regard.

i guess we can argue that goodall faked the mars landing too and jee whiz that must make it so and hey if the article falls off of the first page then post an article to bump the post up to keep on insulting goodall pretty weak applesauce my friend pretty weak stuff indeed one time i saw a guy talking all big at the county fair but when it came time to actually swing the strongman hammer he could hardly even get it over his head and he sort of missed the spot you hit and ended up hitting the side of the thing and taking a big chunk out of the wooden stand and man was the carnie pissed i bet he had just painted it or something and paint on the road is not a cheap thing point is the big talker tough guy looked dumb but then a few weeks later when everyone forgot about it he just started talking all tough again pretty weak just like the whole saints arguments take that to the bank but this thread is not brohan material

MoP, I'm going to put you in our hot tub time machine and send you back in time to become commissioner instead of Goodell. I'm interested in hearing what you would do instead.

It's kind of an extremely open ended question so let me throw some givens at you of the situation you're walking into and what you'll have to deal with:

1) You are employed by the owners. If you don't run the business end well you will be fired.

2) Studies are starting to come out finding connections between brain damage and concussions suffered in football. When you take over there is already a commission appointed by Tagliabue which is discrediting them. Over the next few years it will win out in the media that there is a problem, and lawsuits are likely down the road. Ex-players have already been complaining for awhile that the league is not taking care of them.

3) The year leading up to you taking over was tumultuous from a standpoint of negative publicity over arrests (Chris Henry, Pacman Jones, etc).

4) You take over right after the signing of a new CBA, though the owners were not unified about it and ended up taking what will soon be considered to be a really bad deal for them, so you'll need to position things for CBA negotiations in 2011 at the latest.

5) When it comes to concussions, you're given guidance by injury studies that find that they are moer likely to result from plays that include players being able to reach full speed, and/or hitting other players who aren't in a position to be able to evade or defend themselves whether because already in the grasp, having to concentrate on throwing/catch/etc. Onside kicks are also a play with a higher than normal percentage of injuries.

6) The Patriots are caught in Spygate.

7) The Saints are caught in Bountygate.

What kind of steps are you going to take to deal with the above? What rules would you introduce? What would you do to provide your bosses with a good negotiating position? How would you handle discipline of the kind of issues that come up?

I'm interested to hear what you would do, do differently, and why.

'Greg Russell said:
MoP, I'm going to put you in our hot tub time machine and send you back in time to become commissioner instead of Goodell. I'm interested in hearing what you would do instead.It's kind of an extremely open ended question so let me throw some givens at you of the situation you're walking into and what you'll have to deal with:1) You are employed by the owners. If you don't run the business end well you will be fired.2) Studies are starting to come out finding connections between brain damage and concussions suffered in football. When you take over there is already a commission appointed by Tagliabue which is discrediting them. Over the next few years it will win out in the media that there is a problem, and lawsuits are likely down the road. Ex-players have already been complaining for awhile that the league is not taking care of them.3) The year leading up to you taking over was tumultuous from a standpoint of negative publicity over arrests (Chris Henry, Pacman Jones, etc).4) You take over right after the signing of a new CBA, though the owners were not unified about it and ended up taking what will soon be considered to be a really bad deal for them, so you'll need to position things for CBA negotiations in 2011 at the latest.5) When it comes to concussions, you're given guidance by injury studies that find that they are moer likely to result from plays that include players being able to reach full speed, and/or hitting other players who aren't in a position to be able to evade or defend themselves whether because already in the grasp, having to concentrate on throwing/catch/etc. Onside kicks are also a play with a higher than normal percentage of injuries.6) The Patriots are caught in Spygate.7) The Saints are caught in Bountygate.What kind of steps are you going to take to deal with the above? What rules would you introduce? What would you do to provide your bosses with a good negotiating position? How would you handle discipline of the kind of issues that come up? I'm interested to hear what you would do, do differently, and why.
I don't believe timchochet is interested in responding to in depth queries. He is a hit-and-run poster, at best; complexities like the ones you raised here fall outside the realm of his monologue shtick. Personally, it's hard for me to find fault with the way he dealt with the head injury issue (e.g. substantive rule changes, commission of concussions, engagement with the BU BU Brain Bank, etc.), Spygate (whacked the Pats pretty hard), Bountygate (whacked the Saints pretty hard), the lockout (no loss of a season, let alone meaningful games; better cap system, long-term deal), television contracts (even more money than before), and strong discipline for off-the-field mishaps (but always seems to give an opening for redemption).

Those that love what Goodell has done...what has he done exactly that you like? Do you like that he treats the players like felons from Leavenworth? Do you like that he is putting a stop or curtailing the violence in the game? Willis did say on CC today that he has no idea what is legal and not legal in the NFL anymore, he also said he does not understand why the league wants them to aim low on the legs where they can potentially end a career vs a hit in the chest area which typically does not threaten the career of most players.
Hey MOP, you need to refresh your memory on the Bengals before Goodell. That's probably a good starting point.We don't have that jazz now.It does not matter whether he is solely responsible for things, he gets the credit and blame as is the way of society so he gets credit here. He did meet with them, he met with certain players there and in NYC.Oh here, good perspective point- Every now and then a radio announcer incorrectly states that Pac Man was drafted by the Bengals.We had Little getting convicted of manslaughter or vehicular manslaughter or some such.The Pacman stuff.Whizzinator was several years before but a point nonetheless.Henry committed suicide and while many people do in society, that's awful odd when you work a dream job and are a millionaire. If there was someone that friends, family, teammates, and psychologists could have helped (and thus save) I think it would have been Henry. Further before, Korey Stringer passed away and still to this day we have practice health discussions and procedures so it's relevant.BB and Eric Mangini were up to no good with video cameras to try and get an unfair advantage.Retirees were barking as they saw some of their buddies struggling to survive while "everyone" in the NFL is loaded.Fred Taylor supposedly lost money his first few years in the league because of a slimy shark that preyed on him and his own poor decision.Shanny and BB made us clueless to injuries and it was very frustrating for us and the reporters that covered games.I disagreed, but people had issues with kickoffs.Chop blocks was a topic here for like 3 months, even when it died, it would arise again after some questionable block.Some teams cried they didn't have money while others were making it hand over fist.Owners whined about their stadiums and there has never been so many new ones in NFL history.NFLE was struggling and had to be dealt with. He made a tough call to shut the league down and thus leave Germany with nothing. I believe this was a poor decision and yeah this sentence is way oversimplified.A senator got nosey and involved in the NFL and players were before Congress.Hurricane Katrina destroyed a team's home, yet somehow the stadium was also a saving grace for thousands of people to survive. This in and of itself is a great story.A strike was averted maybe a year after the NFLPA lost their chief.The internet and the NFL brings up thousands of issues he had to deal with.*********OK so there's plenty of things, far more than I mentioned, but for me it's all the "black eye on the NFL" stuff that he has gone after. I applaud him for that.I believed many teams videotaped improperly and just that the Pats got caught. OC were covering their mouths for a reason, Landry used to and...blah blah blah.I found your "following orders" bit to be a copout. The Saints did what they did, that's it. There have been so many stories of bounties to get Favre when he was in the league, that I'm going to believe one of them was true but just not proven. Biographies of former NFL players often speak of bounties. I think the Saints weren't the only ones, they just got caught.Whether it's a former boss you had or a viewpoint on our government, not every CEO addresses every problem. Goodell does and tries his best. God Bless him for that.I don't agree with the guy every time and he's surely raised an eyebrow or two, but it is extremely obvious how dedicated he is to the league and the game.

MoP, I'm going to put you in our hot tub time machine and send you back in time to become commissioner instead of Goodell. I'm interested in hearing what you would do instead.It's kind of an extremely open ended question so let me throw some givens at you of the situation you're walking into and what you'll have to deal with:1) You are employed by the owners. If you don't run the business end well you will be fired.2) Studies are starting to come out finding connections between brain damage and concussions suffered in football. When you take over there is already a commission appointed by Tagliabue which is discrediting them. Over the next few years it will win out in the media that there is a problem, and lawsuits are likely down the road. Ex-players have already been complaining for awhile that the league is not taking care of them.3) The year leading up to you taking over was tumultuous from a standpoint of negative publicity over arrests (Chris Henry, Pacman Jones, etc).4) You take over right after the signing of a new CBA, though the owners were not unified about it and ended up taking what will soon be considered to be a really bad deal for them, so you'll need to position things for CBA negotiations in 2011 at the latest.5) When it comes to concussions, you're given guidance by injury studies that find that they are moer likely to result from plays that include players being able to reach full speed, and/or hitting other players who aren't in a position to be able to evade or defend themselves whether because already in the grasp, having to concentrate on throwing/catch/etc. Onside kicks are also a play with a higher than normal percentage of injuries.6) The Patriots are caught in Spygate.7) The Saints are caught in Bountygate.What kind of steps are you going to take to deal with the above? What rules would you introduce? What would you do to provide your bosses with a good negotiating position? How would you handle discipline of the kind of issues that come up? I'm interested to hear what you would do, do differently, and why.
I don't think people have a problem with him cracking down on players who get in trouble. I think him being inconsistent is an issue. But no one wants people injured, people paying bounties, people cheating and filming other teams illegally. When people disagree with Goodell everyone always goes to the extremes and says its because we want violent football and have no concerns for the players. Get real. Goodell is like the Catholic church. Its all about having too much power and making too much money. Divorce is BAD, butttt you can get married again for a fee. Hitting a QB is bad butttt all you have to do is pay a fee. How about this, start suspending players for a quarter or a half. Maybe a game depending on the severity of the hit. But just charging the player $75,000 just looks like you just want the money. Its obviously not getting the point across, so if he REALLY cares about safety and not money then hit the players where it hurts, in game time. BUT that might hurt his "business" to have entertainers missing time. To add to that, players getting fined $5,000 for the wrong socks doesn't help the NFLs case of not seeming like a money hungry control freak. Secondly, concussions are part of the game and will be part of the game. The only thing you can do is teach player safety. Start having coaching clinics for highschools that teach coaches how to teach players proper safety. Put more money in to safer equipment, make players go to seminars about concussions so they are informed. Start increasing the length of time a player is out after a concussion. Why the hell was Williams, the SF WR, out on the field to be targeted in the first place???? Oh, cause we want our product to be on the field, and when injuries get worse we will just fine them, cause its all about the money. Football is a violent sport by nature, so is boxing, so is MMA, so is hockey. You don't go into any of those sports without knowing that the risk of getting long term injuries is very high. The players ALL know that, especially now in the wake of the concussion issue. And guess what.... they all still CHOSE to play. People who work with asbestos get paid good money, they know the risks and they willing chose the job because the reward of good pay.I'm not saying that they should just go out and kill each other. Dirty hits, late hit, cheap shots, bounties, face masks, etc have no place in this game. But hard hits, cleaning out a WR, actually being able to TACKLE a QB, putting a shoulder into a guy, these are all part of the game and what its made of. He's changing the game to save his own butt and to make more money and that's not ok. Yes, be aware of the risks and take steps to make things better but not at the risk of changing the game. There is so much money going around this league that there has to be more they can do besides taking away dangerous plays. MMA is a dangerous sport and people love the nature of the sport. You can't take kicking out because it does too much damage, or add more padding to the gloves, cause then its just boxing. You can't take checking out of hockey or not play on ice because of the injuries it creates. At this rate, what is going to be left in football that makes it football? What happens when it gets to the point where the QB is just two hand touch, or you can't lead with your shoulder pads either just arm tackles and hand blocks, lineman have to start in a standing position to remove risks of head collisions? I know these all seem silly but where does it stop? Concussions will still happen and if you keep trying to do whatever you can to get rid of them then there really isn't a stopping point.

Something's a`brewin' here, not sure what:>>>“The NFLPA was aware of the existence of the Gregg Williams audio prior to its release,” the statement read. “We learned of the tape as part of our effort to obtain any and all information related to an alleged pay-to-injure scheme. We had no control of the content and did not make a determination on the method of its release. To date, the NFL has not provided the NFLPA with detailed evidence of the existence of such a program.”<<<

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/black-and-gold/Brees-missed-first-day-of-Saints-conditioning-visits-with-NFL-in-New-York-147590195.html

>>>According to a person briefed on the N.F.L.’s investigation, the league had not heard the audio before Thursday, but it had learned of the speech and its contents during the course of interviews while looking into the bounty scandal.<<<

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/07/sports/football/ruling-on-appeals-in-saints-bounty-case-is-signal-to-public.html

We know that prior bounty systems under Williams with the Bills and the Redskins went and have still gone unpunished:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/bills-had-bounties-under-gregg-williams/

What if the NFL knew of the audio? My guess on the thought process would be that they knew either sooner or later Pamphilon would be completing and releasing his movie and that this info would be coming out anyway. If so, wouldn't getting out ahead of the story be the wisest course of action?

Also, odd and interesting that two of the primary leaders in the players' strike and lawsuit - Brees and Fujita - are both being called into the principle's office with DeMaurice Smith. They also have been asked about what they knew and when they knew it as to the bounty program. Quite a convergence of interests here.

I don't think people have a problem with him cracking down on players who get in trouble. I think him being inconsistent is an issue. But no one wants people injured, people paying bounties, people cheating and filming other teams illegally. When people disagree with Goodell everyone always goes to the extremes and says its because we want violent football and have no concerns for the players. Get real. Goodell is like the Catholic church. Its all about having too much power and making too much money. Divorce is BAD, butttt you can get married again for a fee. Hitting a QB is bad butttt all you have to do is pay a fee. How about this, start suspending players for a quarter or a half. Maybe a game depending on the severity of the hit. But just charging the player $75,000 just looks like you just want the money. Its obviously not getting the point across, so if he REALLY cares about safety and not money then hit the players where it hurts, in game time. BUT that might hurt his "business" to have entertainers missing time. To add to that, players getting fined $5,000 for the wrong socks doesn't help the NFLs case of not seeming like a money hungry control freak. Secondly, concussions are part of the game and will be part of the game. The only thing you can do is teach player safety. Start having coaching clinics for highschools that teach coaches how to teach players proper safety. Put more money in to safer equipment, make players go to seminars about concussions so they are informed. Start increasing the length of time a player is out after a concussion. Why the hell was Williams, the SF WR, out on the field to be targeted in the first place???? Oh, cause we want our product to be on the field, and when injuries get worse we will just fine them, cause its all about the money. Football is a violent sport by nature, so is boxing, so is MMA, so is hockey. You don't go into any of those sports without knowing that the risk of getting long term injuries is very high. The players ALL know that, especially now in the wake of the concussion issue. And guess what.... they all still CHOSE to play. People who work with asbestos get paid good money, they know the risks and they willing chose the job because the reward of good pay.I'm not saying that they should just go out and kill each other. Dirty hits, late hit, cheap shots, bounties, face masks, etc have no place in this game. But hard hits, cleaning out a WR, actually being able to TACKLE a QB, putting a shoulder into a guy, these are all part of the game and what its made of. He's changing the game to save his own butt and to make more money and that's not ok. Yes, be aware of the risks and take steps to make things better but not at the risk of changing the game. There is so much money going around this league that there has to be more they can do besides taking away dangerous plays. MMA is a dangerous sport and people love the nature of the sport. You can't take kicking out because it does too much damage, or add more padding to the gloves, cause then its just boxing. You can't take checking out of hockey or not play on ice because of the injuries it creates. At this rate, what is going to be left in football that makes it football? What happens when it gets to the point where the QB is just two hand touch, or you can't lead with your shoulder pads either just arm tackles and hand blocks, lineman have to start in a standing position to remove risks of head collisions? I know these all seem silly but where does it stop? Concussions will still happen and if you keep trying to do whatever you can to get rid of them then there really isn't a stopping point.
You know all those fines go to charity right, not into Goodell's pocket?

You know all those fines go to charity right, not into Goodell's pocket?
Fair enough. But it obviously doesn't effect these players. They have enough money that they aren't worried about the fines. Taking away game play is the way to go if he wants to get serious.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
Also, odd and interesting that two of the primary leaders in the players' strike and lawsuit - Brees and Fujita - are both being called into the principle's office with DeMaurice Smith. They also have been asked about what they knew and when they knew it as to the bounty program. Quite a convergence of interests here.
Why is it so remarkable that Goodell would want input from two articulate team leaders? Or, did you subscribe to a new conspiracy theory this week?

>>>On NFL players' attitudes to Goodell: Brees got quiet and thought for a moment, then said: "Nobody trusts him. Nobody trusts him. I'm not talking about a DUI, or using a gun in a strip club, which are pretty clear violations. I think there're too many times where the league has come to its decision in a case before calling a guy in, and the interview is just a façade. I think now if a guy has to come in to talk to Roger, he'll be very hesitant because he'll think the conclusion has already been reached.''<<<

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/07/29/mmqb/index.html#ixzz228Ag0jDI

Why is it so remarkable that Goodell would want input from two articulate team leaders? Or, did you subscribe to a new conspiracy theory this week?
7/5/12 NYT:"A lawsuit was filed against the N.F.L. by the players union on behalf of three suspended players ...""The lawsuit asserts Goodell violated the collective bargaining agreement by presiding over the appeal hearings and by denying the players access to “critical documents or witnesses.” ""“On some level, the case may turn on that: Did the N.F.L.P.A. concede absolute dictatorial power to the commissioner to do anything?” said Lee Adler, a professor at Cornell’s School of Industrial and Labor Relations, who has no connection to the bounty case but has been involved with labor litigation for more than 35 years. "http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/sports/football/nfl-commissioner-goodell-showed-bias-in-bounty-scandal-union-asserts.htmlThat's kind of where I was going with that.Goodell met not only with Fujita and Brees but Union leaders generally. Brees has filed an affidavit in Vilma's case and Fujita (now of the Browns, with the Packers' Hargrove and Will Smith) has also filed suit.There are Union issues overlapping here.

hey mop you hate him so much i do not get it all you do is bash the guy are you somehow connected in the nfl where if he gets fired you get a shot at his job or in the administration of whoever the next commishoner would be or something fill us in brohan

Brees says no one trusts Roger anymore. No if he says this then why are the folks in this place such staunch Goodell supporters.
Im pretty sure the 31 owners and TT of GB trust Roger, the players dont really matter in football, havent for a long time, its the logo on the side of the helmets and the NFL shield.

Weird. If the players didn't trust him they probably should have negotiated a different set of rules about discipline.

'Ministry of Pain said:
Suspension overturned
Why do people keep saying this? They were NOT overturned. The panel determined that the commisioner had authority over only half the stated reason the players were suspended. The commisioner still has the right to suspend for the half he had jurisdiction over...and ANOTHER ENTITY can suspend or take action for the other half.This was anything but a clean win for the players.

'Ministry of Pain said:
Suspension overturned
Why do people keep saying this? They were NOT overturned. The panel determined that the commisioner had authority over only half the stated reason the players were suspended. The commisioner still has the right to suspend for the half he had jurisdiction over...and ANOTHER ENTITY can suspend or take action for the other half.This was anything but a clean win for the players.
Hey Rene that's cool and I appreciate you pointing this out. Drew Brees was pretty candid yesterday, I was happy the players are eligible for Sunday. Maybe things will turn bad for these folks anyways like you say but for today I think it was a big lift to a lot of players.

This was anything but a clean win for the players.
Wait, the players lost?
When all is said and done, the players could end up wishing they had "lost". Goodell can still suspend them for "Conduct detrimental" while another entity can suspend them for cap violations. It's possible (though admittedly highly unlikely) that the punishments could get worse for these players rather than better. The common perception seems to be that they got off...and that's extremely misleading. A more likely result is that they still receive significant suspensions (say 75% of the original)for conduct detrimental and a hand-slap fine (at the most) from the other entity for the relatively minor cap violations.

It's going to take a few key media and sports pundits to get vocal about this and show Goodell for what he really is.
"NFL needs arbitrator working with Roger Goodell on discipline issues"http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--nfl-needs-arbitrator-working-with-roger-goodell-on-discipline-issues.htmlThat was a great call MOP. Personally, I would have no problem with Goodell being a bad ### mother####er when it comes to discipline IF he were consistent about it. The only consistency I've seen so far is you can cheat by stealing plays or taking performance enhancing drugs, you can tarnish the image of the league by hitting your gf or driving drunk or running over a guy with your car for that matter and get a slap on the wrist. The one thing you don't ever, ever want to do is make Goodell look bad. Go to NY and lie to him(Vick) or fail to cooperate(Saints) and you get the death penalty. Maybe I'm alone on this but I think players/coaches should be disciplined based on their misconduct on and off the field, but bruising the ego of the commissioner shouldn't draw the biggest penalty of all. NOBODY should be more important than the league itself, not the players, coaches, and certainly not the commissioner. My $0.02.

Who knew it would be about something other than Bountygate?

Clay Mathews just sold out Goodell and posted his office number on his Facebook account.

His number & email has been posted all over twitter too.

I am starting to agree that Gary Bettman > Roger Goodell

Who knew it would be about something other than Bountygate?
:goodposting:Goodell has some fatal flaws -- the biggest being his inability to serve up appropriately measured responses to crises (perceived or real). Intransigence would be another -- sometimes you ARE wrong, Roger.

Users who are viewing this thread