What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wisdom of the Crowds (1 Viewer)

Tbone

Shrinkage
So I noticed the "Wisdom of the Crowds" feature in the week 2 section. Wondering how long this has been around? Also wondered how many votes have been cast, that kind of thing but couldn't seem to find details about it. The idea that is mentioned and the results are intriguing but if only a handful of peeps are voting don't think it's nearly as valid.

Link

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/wdis/rankings.php

and Link

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=171

-ETA ok, so here's the link http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=609259

Sorry didn't realize this was tied to a contest. I was mainly interested in using as a weekly "who do I start" helper.

Thanks Doug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess you missed the intro in an email and the thread that explains it's genesis and rationale......it's still here if you look for it

Yeah guess I missed it. I tried searching before I posted but couldn't find, still can't. I guess I'm search challenged. Perhaps the thread used different terms than Wisdom or Crowd?

So I noticed the "Wisdom of the Crowds" feature in the week 2 section. Wondering how long this has been around? Also wondered how many votes have been cast, that kind of thing but couldn't seem to find details about it. The idea that is mentioned and the results are intriguing but if only a handful of peeps are voting don't think it's nearly as valid.

Link

and Link

About these rankings: thousands of footballguys subscribers generated these rankings collectively by comparing players two at a time. The votes were then cobbled together and aggregated using a weighted maximum likelihood method, such as the one described here. In constructing these rankings, more recent votes are weighted more heavily than older votes, and votes from people with better season-to-date performance are weighted more heavily than others. They are updated every hour at ten minutes past the hour.

nobody called me :shrug:

Yeah guess I missed it. I tried searching before I posted but couldn't find, still can't. I guess I'm search challenged. Perhaps the thread used different terms than Wisdom or Crowd?
The thread is title "Another Subscriber Contest" or something like that.

Link

and Link

About these rankings: thousands of footballguys subscribers generated these rankings collectively by comparing players two at a time. The votes were then cobbled together and aggregated using a weighted maximum likelihood method, such as the one described here. In constructing these rankings, more recent votes are weighted more heavily than older votes, and votes from people with better season-to-date performance are weighted more heavily than others. They are updated every hour at ten minutes past the hour.

nobody called me :shrug:
Kind of what I was thinking. Figured if "thousands of footballguys subscribers" had generated these rankings I'd have known about it.

I'd like to see a small addition to the rankings which are the team the player's team is playing this week.

Fascinating concept. Where on Earth did FBG come up with the idea? :rolleyes: You know what they say about imitation. I'm flattered. We did pioneer this concept in the fantasy industry in 2009 (some FBG Staff were members of our site back then) and some of the verbiage of this new FBG offering has been lifted directly from our site. However, scale is critical and FBG can bring scale to our concept better than we can at the moment. I wish FBG continued success with it. Getting ripped off, even partially, isn't a fun feeling, but it is business and it happens all the time. C'est la vie.

On another note, FBG is a great service, driven by some hugely talented people who live, eat and breathe fantasy football and I have a lot of respect for this community. I've been coming here for almost 10 years. If there was ever a way for us to work together on this concept, I'd welcome it.

Cheers!

Fascinating concept. Where on Earth did FBG come up with the idea? :rolleyes: You know what they say about imitation. I'm flattered. We did pioneer this concept in the fantasy industry in 2009 (some FBG Staff were members of our site back then) and some of the verbiage of this new FBG offering has been lifted directly from our site. However, scale is critical and FBG can bring scale to our concept better than we can at the moment. I wish FBG continued success with it. Getting ripped off, even partially, isn't a fun feeling, but it is business and it happens all the time. C'est la vie.On another note, FBG is a great service, driven by some hugely talented people who live, eat and breathe fantasy football and I have a lot of respect for this community. I've been coming here for almost 10 years. If there was ever a way for us to work together on this concept, I'd welcome it.Cheers!
:ptts:

Fascinating concept. Where on Earth did FBG come up with the idea? :rolleyes: You know what they say about imitation. I'm flattered. We did pioneer this concept in the fantasy industry in 2009 (some FBG Staff were members of our site back then) and some of the verbiage of this new FBG offering has been lifted directly from our site. However, scale is critical and FBG can bring scale to our concept better than we can at the moment. I wish FBG continued success with it. Getting ripped off, even partially, isn't a fun feeling, but it is business and it happens all the time. C'est la vie.On another note, FBG is a great service, driven by some hugely talented people who live, eat and breathe fantasy football and I have a lot of respect for this community. I've been coming here for almost 10 years. If there was ever a way for us to work together on this concept, I'd welcome it.Cheers!
Um, the format really is not at all similar to what's on FBG. There's nothing that assimilates your "calls" into a ranking system like the FBG system does, much less applies techniques such as weighting results by time or by track-record of the person making the "call". Looking back in time, FBG had postseason contests that had some similarity as well with yes/no type of questions on things such as which of a pair of players will throw for more yards, will there be 60 (or whatever) or more TDs in the playoffs and the like. Seems like a weak claim - I was really expecting something MUCH more similar to this contest when I went to your site.Cheers!-QG

It's the internet, if you don't want to get copied, don't hit publish.

/me has 100's of websites, gets scraped constantly. It's just the reality of it.

It's the internet, if you don't want to get copied, don't hit publish./me has 100's of websites, gets scraped constantly. It's just the reality of it.
I totally agree. Furthermore, it's not like anyone cloned our site in its entirety. We were the first in the fantasy industry to develop a concept around aggregating consensus on lineup calls (yes, including Yahoo) and the fact that the industry at large has started to catch on to this really just speaks to the validity of the concept. It's a non-issue, and I meant it sincerely when I wish FBG success with their endeavour. It's all good.

Care to expand more on this? I have no idea who you are or who your site is, but I certainly do not feel we ripped off your idea. Feel free to enlighten all of us on your website and why you believe we stole your idea, your verbiage, etc

Care to expand more on this? I have no idea who you are or who your site is, but I certainly do not feel we ripped off your idea. Feel free to enlighten all of us on your website and why you believe we stole your idea, your verbiage, etc
:popcorn:

I missed this too but kind of came into the draft/season late. Glad to see it on the week 2. I will be interested to see how it shakes out.

I don't care to expand on it because I have zero issue with FBG. The industry is not a static entity, it's always moving and evolving. That is nobody's fault, that is just reality.

My default is to have signatures off. I just turned them on and this is the first time I have ever seen a link to Grouse's website. We have talked about implementing this kind of concept for FBG right after the Wisdom of Crowds book came out in 2004. Joe loved the book and sent a lot of us on staff on a copy. These ideas also meshed with what I was taught in my Orgnizational Behavior classes on my way to getting my BS in Industrial Engineering at USC. Multiple people's opinions generally wash away the bias and lead to good conclusions. It's the reason we have had most of the staff giving rankings, why we solicit countless opinions on sleepers, etc.

We introduced something similar to this a few years ago where we asked subscribers whether a player was valued or overvalued against ADP. We also experimented with said concepts in some of our playoff contests. At our Tennessee retreat this year, we spent more time on this with the sole purpose of trying to answer the questions we get in the Assistant Coach Forum (namely, Who is a better play this week).

This is the results of those efforts.

I'd like to see the new questions time change from 1:00 AM EDT to something like 8:00 PM or 9:00 PM EDT.

I'm not staying up until 1:00 AM to answer the new set of questions, yet if I'm not mistaken, in case of a tie, the earlier answerer wins.

Why can't the changeover happen at a more "normal" time?

My default is to have signatures off. I just turned them on and this is the first time I have ever seen a link to Grouse's website. We have talked about implementing this kind of concept for FBG right after the Wisdom of Crowds book came out in 2004. Joe loved the book and sent a lot of us on staff on a copy. These ideas also meshed with what I was taught in my Orgnizational Behavior classes on my way to getting my BS in Industrial Engineering at USC. Multiple people's opinions generally wash away the bias and lead to good conclusions. It's the reason we have had most of the staff giving rankings, why we solicit countless opinions on sleepers, etc.We introduced something similar to this a few years ago where we asked subscribers whether a player was valued or overvalued against ADP. We also experimented with said concepts in some of our playoff contests. At our Tennessee retreat this year, we spent more time on this with the sole purpose of trying to answer the questions we get in the Assistant Coach Forum (namely, Who is a better play this week).This is the results of those efforts.
All cool by me, and my apologies if my comments were misinterpreted. At the end of the day, all roads lead to FBG anyway. One of the primary inspirations behind my site concept stemmed from an FBG Shark Pool message board thread that I started years ago. This is going back probably 5+ years, I started a Pool thread called "'I'm Starting _________ over _________ in Week #' - What are you stewing over this week?" After a season or two it eventually took on a life of its own in the Pool, but it was from starting that particular thread that in part gave me the original impetus for creating my site. I've been an FBG paid subscriber for years because it's hands-down the best effin' value in the industry, period. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread