What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst local commentators (1 Viewer)

Qmaster

Footballguy
Year after year the local Cleveland Browns channel hires Bernie Kosar as a color man on the local Browns broadcasts. Kosar is a god-like local celebrity but his announcing is unbearable. :hophead:

Half the time his speech is slurred and I'm certain he is drunk :banned: .....he is also unnecessarily condescending (think Theisman liquored up) and it is painful to listen to.

Any other local commentators make you cringe? :confused:

Eagles use local sports guy Don Tollefson. He's brutal. At least the have Baldinger with him. Hugh Douglass is on the field. After the 2nd quarter they stop giving play by play and don't mention any names. They just talk about the off-season and the star players.

Eagles use local sports guy Don Tollefson. He's brutal. At least the have Baldinger with him. Hugh Douglass is on the field. After the 2nd quarter they stop giving play by play and don't mention any names. They just talk about the off-season and the star players.
That Eagles crew was horrendous. Baldy is ok, but the play by play guy is bad, and Hugh Douglas can't speak.

That Eagles crew was horrendous. Baldy is ok, but the play by play guy is bad, and Hugh Douglas can't speak.
:goodposting: Its painful to listen to. I usually put on Merrill and Mike.

Year after year the local Cleveland Browns channel hires Bernie Kosar as a color man on the local Browns broadcasts. Kosar is a god-like local celebrity but his announcing is unbearable. :hophead: Half the time his speech is slurred and I'm certain he is drunk :banned: .....he is also unnecessarily condescending (think Theisman liquored up) and it is painful to listen to.Any other local commentators make you cringe? :confused:
I couldn't DISagree more. Kosar's speech problem is entirely due to the hits he took as a QB, and to suggest he is drunk shows a lack of integrity on your part. He shows remarkable insight into the game that is rare these days. Sorry that such things are too deep for you to grasp. :thumbdown:

Year after year the local Cleveland Browns channel hires Bernie Kosar as a color man on the local Browns broadcasts. Kosar is a god-like local celebrity but his announcing is unbearable. :hophead: Half the time his speech is slurred and I'm certain he is drunk :banned: .....he is also unnecessarily condescending (think Theisman liquored up) and it is painful to listen to.Any other local commentators make you cringe? :confused:
kosar is def drunk and telling it like it is and he becomes more outspoken as the game goes on. hes proly the best nfl announcer of all time.

Don Criqui is tough to listen to on the Pats preseason broadcasts.

He used to be one of the best, but something happened to his voice several years back. It keeps cracking now.

Jim Plunkett

Greg Papa

Tom Flores

JT the Brick

Quadfecta of Suck
I just came in here to post the Raiders...effing terrible.Probably the worst thing about moving to the bay area...man are they bad.
Can't disagree with that, although I love Papa's enthousiasm, he is a giant homer. And Flores has this monotone that feels like he's talking in his sleep or using public library manners. Of course, the Raiders had it great back in the day of the great Bill King, a Raider broadcasting legend. There's no following that man's footsteps. RIP Bill King. :banned:

The Bears guys are awful! I think it's Erik Kramer and someone else. Just painful to listen to and you learn nothing at all.

Don Criqui is tough to listen to on the Pats preseason broadcasts.He used to be one of the best, but something happened to his voice several years back. It keeps cracking now.
I am from the town in NJ he lives/uded to live in. He actually was a very nice guy and his kids played pop warner with me (I believe one went on to play basketball at Princeton). With that said, he was at least 7+ years older than my dad (or seemed so when we were kids), and my father just turned 70...I can't imagine he will be doing this much longer.

Babe Laufenberg. Possibly the worst Dallas QB ever and he talks like he is the expert on good QB play. Not sure what annoys me more, his face, his voice, or his "know it all" tone.

Jim Plunkett

Greg Papa

Tom Flores

JT the Brick

Quadfecta of Suck
I just came in here to post the Raiders...effing terrible.Probably the worst thing about moving to the bay area...man are they bad.
Completely agreed. It's strange how one team such as the Raiders rolls out a sad-sack local crew, while others like the Packers, use an actual network crew like Harlan and Gannon (I realize they probably won't be paired together this season, but they have in the past)

I couldn't DISagree more. Kosar's speech problem is entirely due to the hits he took as a QB, and to suggest he is drunk shows a lack of integrity on your part. He shows remarkable insight into the game that is rare these days. Sorry that such things are too deep for you to grasp. :thumbdown:
Considering that Kosar has had documented issues with alcohol I wouldn't say that bringing up the possibility shows a lack of integrity. I do think he says some interesting things about quarterbacking and what teams are trying to do in the passing game. That said, I agree with the OP that he can be hard to take at times (and I was a big fan during his playing days).

Year after year the local Cleveland Browns channel hires Bernie Kosar as a color man on the local Browns broadcasts. Kosar is a god-like local celebrity but his announcing is unbearable. :hophead:

Half the time his speech is slurred and I'm certain he is drunk :banned: .....he is also unnecessarily condescending (think Theisman liquored up) and it is painful to listen to.

Considering that Kosar has had documented issues with alcohol I wouldn't say that bringing up the possibility shows a lack of integrity. I do think he says some interesting things about quarterbacking and what teams are trying to do in the passing game. That said, I agree with the OP that he can be hard to take at times (and I was a big fan during his playing days).
Want to know the truth? http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/07/the_life_and_times_of_bernie_k.html

Was coming to post about Kosar as well. Dude is ####faced :banned:

Want to know the truth? http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/07/the_life_and_times_of_bernie_k.html
I don't know if I've ever heard the man speak and have no dog in this fight, but there's nothing in that article to suggest that his speech impediments are due to the hits he took as opposed to a drinking problem.

Anyone who watched the Colts vs. Redskins preseason game knows that its gotta be the Colt's commentators. Holy #### they were bad, even for a preseason game. Just horrible.

Hugh Douglas can speak, unfortunately. He spoke when he said he didn't really play for the Jaguars, it was more of a paid vacation. Stay classy, Hugh. :thumbup:

You'll never hear an announcer misidentify a player worse than what I just heard.

Verne Lundquist, bless his heart, used to be one of the best in the business. But it's about time to put him out to pasture. He's calling the Seahawks/Broncos game from last night. If any of you DVR'd the game, watch the last play of the 1st Q. Denver has the ball on Seattle's 40. Willis McGahee is the RB. Orton takes the shotgun snap. McGahee stays in to block and is standing RIGHT NEXT TO ORTON as he throws the ball 25 yards down field. Here is Verne's play call:

"Seattle.... drops (HUH??? -- I guess he meant to say "Orton drops") ... OH YES! Caught at the 15 yard line. Willis McGahee, number 23, out of the backfield! No, it's Eric Decker, 87, I beg your pardon. Eric Decker."
Where to start?McGahee is a 6-0 black guy who wears #23 and could not have possibly run 25 yards downfield that quickly.

Decker is a 6-3 white guy who wears #87.

I can't even fathom how that could come out of his mouth.

LOL, at the end of the very same drive....

"Ball is on the 2. They try the left side..... KNOWSHONNNNNNNNN!!!!

No, it's McGahee, I beg your pardon."

:mellow:

How drunk could you get playing Verne's "I beg your pardon" drinking game?

LOL, at the end of the very same drive....

"Ball is on the 2. They try the left side..... KNOWSHONNNNNNNNN!!!!

No, it's McGahee, I beg your pardon."

:mellow:

How drunk could you get playing Verne's "I beg your pardon" drinking game?
Agreed.. Verne needs to go. He blows up college basketball games too. horrible. Congures up visions of Pat Summerall :X

The Broncos had Verne Lindquist and Alfred williams. Between Verne's complete misidentification of players )was that number 23 or number 87?) and the mangling of the english language by Alfred, uggh, brutal.

Users who are viewing this thread