What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (1 Viewer)

The other problem is an unknown rookie QB
CIN's run game has been atrocious.  Only MIA has a lower YPC, and only ATL has run less.  They have been playing from behind all season, and their 70/30 pass/run ratio is only matched by ATL.  I doubt their run game will turn it around, and they will continue to throw from behind.  CIN's season is toast, and they are gonna let Finley throw as much as he wants.  Sure, he may completely suck, but the WR targets will continue.  And, if Finley can't handle the job, they will revert to Dalton to finish the season.

CIN's run game has been atrocious.  Only MIA has a lower YPC, and only ATL has run less.  They have been playing from behind all season, and their 70/30 pass/run ratio is only matched by ATL.  I doubt their run game will turn it around, and they will continue to throw from behind.  CIN's season is toast, and they are gonna let Finley throw as much as he wants.  Sure, he may completely suck, but the WR targets will continue.  And, if Finley can't handle the job, they will revert to Dalton to finish the season.
The big uncertainty is not the amount of throws but their efficiency. Timing, placement, etc. I'd just rather be see Green catching throws from the same guy he's been with for eight years. Hope I'm wrong.

The big uncertainty is not the amount of throws but their efficiency. Timing, placement, etc. I'd just rather be see Green catching throws from the same guy he's been with for eight years. Hope I'm wrong.
Was just saying the targets will continue, but I quite agree with you.  I don't think Dalton has necessarily been underperforming - CIN has simply decided to see what they have in Finley.  Finley better have an internal clock, as only Winston has been sacked more this year.  FWIW, I don't think we've seen the last of Dalton this year.

Was just saying the targets will continue, but I quite agree with you.  I don't think Dalton has necessarily been underperforming - CIN has simply decided to see what they have in Finley.  Finley better have an internal clock, as only Winston has been sacked more this year.  FWIW, I don't think we've seen the last of Dalton this year.
Agree. The only logic I can think of for the switch is that they drafted Finley as a better fit for Taylor's system and Dalton just wasn't getting it or didn't have the mobility. Somewhat like Allen in Denver.

As you say there is no shame going back to Dalton if things aren't working out after a few games so at least there's a floor there.

The other problem is an unknown rookie QB
I guess the way I view this is that common wisdom is to dump Bengals and maybe that's right. Cincy RB & Wrs & TE are near dirt zip right now, right? But, if Finley has a good game they won't be. I've lost games by under 2.0 this year. Gordon, Shepard, DJax Ross and Green have sort of fuggabood my lineups. If Finley does have a good game I will have to kill x FAAB / WW spot to get back in the game, vs do I put one of these guys at the end of my bench or trade for them from an owner who hates them and see if I can't get some targets going. Really, I like this offense and it's been painful watching Dalton. Sort of pulling for this group in general. The only thing I don't think will change is the TE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the way I view this is that common wisdom is to dump Bengals and maybe that's right. Cincy RB & Wrs & TE are near dirt zip right now, right? But, if Finley has a good game they won't be. I've lost games by under 2.0 this year. Gordon, Shepard, DJax Ross and Green have sort of fuggabood my lineups. If Finley does have a good game I will have to kill x FAAB / WW spot to get back in the game, vs do I put one of these guys at the end of my bench or trade for them from an owner who hates them and see if I can't get some targets going. Really, I like this offense and it's been painful watching Dalton. Sort of pulling for this group in general. The only thing I don't think will change is the TE.
I'm wondering if Boyd will see the biggest bump...with Green back he'll no longer be drawing CB1 coverage and great fit for the short/intermediate range throws that seem to be Finley's strength.

Agreed, and I would add, Green's target shares in his career have been around 30% throughout his career, among the highest in the NFL. The Bengals are averaging almost 7 more pass attempts per game than any other year of Green's career.

To me, if Green is healthy, he should be a substantial upgrade from Boyd/Tate, and could potentially be a low-end WR1 the rest of the year. This is a team that is on pace for just under 700 pass attempts. I don't think switching to a rookie QB is going to alter that much, as I don't believe they were throwing that often by choice to begin with. 

I think at this point, barring a Nathan Peterman-esqe showing he'll be the guy for the rest of the year.

Throwing Finley in to face the Ravens may sound brutal, but it's actually not.  They only have 14 sacks to date (only ATL, CIN, MIA, and NYJ have less).  Also, they only have 7 INT's.  Their D isn't what it used to be.

Throwing Finley in to face the Ravens may sound brutal, but it's actually not.  They only have 14 sacks to date (only ATL, CIN, MIA, and NYJ have less).  Also, they only have 7 INT's.  Their D isn't what it used to be.
That Ravens DLine is going against the worst OLine in the NFL this week. Finley will be throwing against a much improved pass defense as the Ravens now sport a secondary featuring Marcus Peters and Jimmy Smith at corner. This should be a slaughterhouse. Now with no AJ Green. Doubt he would have made a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
So let me get this straight - AJG's ankle swells after a short practice on a Wednesday, and by Thursday morning, he is already declaring himself out for a game that's not going to happen for 4 days?

So let me get this straight - AJG's ankle swells after a short practice on a Wednesday, and by Thursday morning, he is already declaring himself out for a game that's not going to happen for 4 days?
Even better his ankle swelled after a short practice on a Monday I believe and he’s out!

Asked about his contract situation Thursday, A.J. Green said he "(doesn't) really care."

"I don't really care about (the contract negotiations)," was Green's exact quote. "If (the Bengals are) worried about me not playing or not being healthy, then there's 32 teams out there. I'm not really worried about that situation." This sounds like it is going downhill fast. Green was supposed to finally make his 2019 debut this week but has since removed himself from consideration. The Bengals should have traded their longtime No. 1 wideout ahead of last month's deadline, but that is something only a smart franchise would do.

SOURCE: Jay Morrison on Twitter

Nov 7, 2019, 2:04 PM ET

Well, it's been 10 wasted weeks on my bench.  It won't be 11.  Time to drop him and hit the waiver wire.

As for AJG, I think he is making the right call.  No hard feelings, you son of a ....

They definitely should have traded him, unless they couldn't get much because he really wasn't healthy and we were all assuming that he was just doing a quiet hold out. 

meanwhile Erickson putting up pretty good numbers 3 weeks in a row if you need one of the garbage time WR's ... probably not much else out there available at this point either

6 Targets 4 Rec 47 yards

14 Targets 8 Rec 137 yards

7 Targets 6 Rec 97 yards

Asked about his contract situation Thursday, A.J. Green said he "(doesn't) really care."

"I don't really care about (the contract negotiations)," was Green's exact quote. "If (the Bengals are) worried about me not playing or not being healthy, then there's 32 teams out there. I'm not really worried about that situation." This sounds like it is going downhill fast. Green was supposed to finally make his 2019 debut this week but has since removed himself from consideration. The Bengals should have traded their longtime No. 1 wideout ahead of last month's deadline, but that is something only a smart franchise would do.

SOURCE: Jay Morrison on Twitter

Nov 7, 2019, 2:04 PM ET
Actually there would be 31 other teams out there.

They played themselves when they didn't trade him.
They can still trade him this offseason.  He will probably fetch more this offseason because the team getting him will be signing him to a long term deal.  The team that would have traded for him at the trade deadline would have been only getting him as a half season rental.

If it were another part of his body I'd probably agree. It's his ankle. It's where any and all motion as an athlete begins. Especially as a WR.
I’m old enough to remember when a lot of people preferred AJ over Julio because of his...wait for it...

Durability!

I’d say that with this being week 10 of the NFL season, he’s one of the 5-10 healthiest players on the roster, a roster where he’s the wealthiest player on it...the ‘I got to put me first’ attitude feels a bit rich.

They can still trade him this offseason.  He will probably fetch more this offseason because the team getting him will be signing him to a long term deal.  The team that would have traded for him at the trade deadline would have been only getting him as a half season rental.
They would have to franchise him to do so and that complicates trades? 

Please just end this nonsense and IR him.  He might just be done.  Bodies break down at different ages.  His decline was fast and sudden if this is the end, but it really may be.

meanwhile Erickson putting up pretty good numbers 3 weeks in a row if you need one of the garbage time WR's ... probably not much else out there available at this point either

6 Targets 4 Rec 47 yards

14 Targets 8 Rec 137 yards

7 Targets 6 Rec 97 yards
Erickson or Tate?

Tate's last 3 weeks

12 Targets 5 Rec 91 yards

6 Targets 3 Rec 65 yards

13 Targets 5 Rec 65 yards

How does he go from being about to play to out indefinitely??? WTF are the bengals doing? It’s an ankle. It should be healed by now
Screw it, I'm doing a 180, I am now fully on board with the idea that he is 100% and just doesn't want to play there anymore. I guess I wasn't being pessimistic enough.

Screw it, I'm doing a 180, I am now fully on board with the idea that he is 100% and just doesn't want to play there anymore. I guess I wasn't being pessimistic enough.
Agreed, another owner just dropped Sanu to cover a bye week 

hello Mr Sanu 

I want to believe that Green wouldn't spite the team by refusing to play until he has a long term contract. It won't help him get a long term contract, and it doesn't make sense for another team elsewhere to shell out one for a WR who sat a whole season due to "injury". But I also don't blame him at all if that is the case.

Hell, maybe I'll keep him on my roster in solidarity. But while I'm not going full-blown conspiracy nut, I think his motivation to get back is much, much lower until he knows where he stands.

I outright dropped him in a .25 PPR league yesterday.  In a corresponding move I picked up Devante Parker.

I have an "IR spot" (Yahoo), but him constantly being "questionable/doubtful" then "OUT" has been a headache. (Anything other than OUT triggers owners to have to make roster moves)

Regardless, its a headache many can't deal with during bye week scenarios.  He may well come back in a few weeks, but it's just not something most of us can wait on anymore. Plus there is always the risk of him being shut down again if he gets so much as a hangnail.

I would imagine in dynasty or keeper leagues he is a must hold, but I don't see many re-draft scenarios where you can hang onto him.

TZM

Users who are viewing this thread