What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amon-Ra St. Brown, DET (1 Viewer)

I think he is in a perfect storm for targets/usage. Hockenson was out, no WR1 and no Swift. There really was nobody else. Don't get me wrong. He is a very good NFL player but as I said I think he will be better for NFL than he will be in FF.

Based on his finish I expect him to be drafted quite high but I don't think he wjll return the performance that his draft price will require.

In some ways that he was able to do that when he was the lone focal point tells you how good he is. Jameson and Chark burner speed will take away the safeties as well as the best and fastest corners. Amon-Ra will still be the primary chain mover even with Hock healthy. Amon-Ra won't have the volume he did the last 5 games, but the Lions offense will be much improved. His YPC will be higher as he is a very tough runner with sneaky elusiveness. I would still expect a minimum of 1100 yards and 6 TDs which puts his floor at WR15. More likely his numbers look like 1200-1300 yards and 8-10 TDs, so a WR6 thru WR12 guy. He will be Goff's favorite target.

Looks like I was being pessimistic with 1200-1300 yards and 8-10 TDs, so a WR6 thru WR12 guy.

Amon-Ra St. Brown caught 9-of-12 targets for 116 yards and two touchdowns in the Lions' Week 2 win over the Commanders.​

St. Brown once again led all Lions receivers on the day, seeing yet another 12-target day on the afternoon. He would score the first and last touchdowns for the Lions in the one, with his first score coming on a 13-yard touchdown in the first quarter. He would post two plays of 40+ yards in this one, which included a 58-yard run late in the third quarter just minutes after a Washington touchdown. St. Brown's final touchdown came on an 11-yard reception midway through the fourth quarter, which would end up being enough to put the game out of reach for Washington. St. Brown is a high-end WR2 next week against the Vikings.
Sep 18, 2022, 5:15 PM ET

Finished last season during his last 6 games in half point PPR with

19.6 pts
11.3 pts
19.5 pts
21.4 pts
29.4 pts
22.1 pts

Because the lions acquired a few players, and drafted a rookie at WR (Jameson Williams) he has not been getting near as much hype as he deserves. The last 6 games of the season you could see that Lions figured out how to use him more, and even started using him on a couple of designed running plays each game. Goff looks to him whenever he needs a first down or a big play. I know the argument is the Lions had nothing else at WR behind him last year, but maybe the argument should be that he is just a really good player? I mean he was a rookie, and put up some crazy numbers down the stretch, and I still don't see how his value goes down at all in his 2nd year. I have him in both my leagues as his value was so low, and the potential to be a top 10 WR.

He scored all 6 of his tds during the last 6 games. Overall stats during the last 6 games were

51 receptions
560 yards
5 rec tds

7 rushing attempts
61 rushing yards
1 TD

What are everyone else's thoughts on this guy?
I'm pretty high on St.Brown. I actually thought he looked a lot like Chris Godwin. I'm not super concerned that most/all of his production came with Hockenson out, but that might be something that makes me a little lower on both in week 1, just to see how the pecking order works. I've got them as WR19 and TE7 respectively.

I think St.Brown's YPC should go up a bit, with more talent around him. I do think 110+ catches is on the table, but I don't see the TD's being all that high, due to Hockenson being the top target in the redzone.

2022 Stats (Half Point PPR)

Week 1- 16.4 pts 8 rec 12 targets 64 yds 1 TD
Week 2- 34.9 pts 9 rec 12 targets 116 yds 2 TD, 2 rush 68 yds rushing

Definitely looking like one of the steals of the draft so far because a lot of "experts" wrote him off to the situation last year.....

Last year, rookie Amon-Ra St. Brown was already one of the league's best at creating separation at the catch point. Here's a quick look.

According to Next Gen Stats, St. Brown was generating an average of 3.5 yards of separation at the catch point. This number doesn't mean anything by itself, but giving context shows that St. Brown is among the league's elite route runners, already. Some notable WRs and their separation stat:

Cooper Kupp: 3.6 yards

Tyreek Hill: 3.6 yards

Hunter Renfrow: 3.5 yards

Jaylen Waddle: 3.3 yards

Deebo Samuel: 3.3 yards

Chris Godwin: 3.3 yards

Diontae Johnson: 3.2 yards

Keenan Allen: 3.1 yards

CeeDee Lamb: 3.1 yards

DeAndre Hopkins: 2.8 yards

I could keep going, but I think you get the point. The numbers back it up too - he just gets open, and wide open at that.

Excited to see St. Brown's performance this season.
The bolded suggest St. Brown is going to continue to be a target monster. He simply gets open all the time.

The bolded suggest St. Brown is going to continue to be a target monster. He simply gets open all the time.

Goff was asked about him yesterday and he said “He’s a comfortable WR to play with. He’s always where he’s supposed to be, he never drops the ball, you know you can trust him.”

Unrelated but another reason he’s such a baller: great run blocker. The OL loves pulling to his side bc they know they have one less DB/LB to account for; he absolutely relishes being able to hit people and works really hard, wants to be known as the best blocking WR in the league.

Here's another gem:

Asked Wednesday if the Vikings took a receiver ahead of him in the 2021 draft, St. Brown said, "They didn’t, no."

"But they didn’t draft me, either," he said. "I know they had some picks in there."

Here's another gem:

Asked Wednesday if the Vikings took a receiver ahead of him in the 2021 draft, St. Brown said, "They didn’t, no."

"But they didn’t draft me, either," he said. "I know they had some picks in there."

Minn did draft a WR in the 5th though. I love the fact that he carries a chip on his shoulder against every team. It is driving him to an elite level. I think he can put up a Cooper Kupp=like season.

Amon-Ra St. Brown caught 6-of-9 targets for 73 yards in the Lions' Week 3 loss to the Vikings.​

St. Brown came up limping with an ankle injury in the 2nd quarter, but he played through the injury for the rest of the game. He was likely hampered by the injury, however, with 30 of his 73 yards coming on a first-quarter catch and run. His 30-yard play set the Lions up for a two-yard rushing score, but the second-year receiver was otherwise quiet. His 22% target share broke an eight-game streak of having at least a 29% target share. St. Brown will look to bounce back in Week 4 against the Seahawks.
Sep 25, 2022, 5:23 PM ET

Amon-Ra St. Brown (ankle) did not practice Thursday.​

St. Brown's absence for a second-consecutive day is concerning, although there's still time for him to get in a practice on Friday. Accouting for almost 34% of the Lions' receiving yards on the season, St. Brown will be sorely missed if he's unable to suit up for Week 4 against the Seahawks. St. Brown is a WR1 if he suits up, but if he's ruled out, Josh Reynolds could have some appeal as a FLEX option.
RELATED:
Sep 29, 2022, 12:58 PM ET

Looks like Josh Reynolds may be limited with a low ankle sprain. I picked up Chark, but may change that for Reynolds.

Was just reflecting on how this is the first year that I can remember in forever that I've not had any of my fantasy starters go down to injury..... then this happens.

Hope he gets some rest and gets healthy. He's been a beast

Consensus going into the Seattle game was that ARSB would be held out through their week 6 bye. Does 1-3 looking at 1-4 change that this week?

by RotoWire Staff
(7 mins ago)
All five of Detroit's starting skill-position players were held out of practice, including three (Swift, Amon-Ra St. Brown, DJ Chark) who missed Sunday's shootout loss to Seattle. With a bye coming up in Week 6, it won't be surprising if the Lions err on the side of caution this Sunday in New England, especially after Jamaal Williams scored two more TDs in the Week 4 loss. That said, the Lions haven't ruled out any of the injured players, including Swift.

Amon-Ra St. Brown (ankle) did not practice Thursday.​

That makes it five straight practices missed for St. Brown, who did not play last week and does not look particularly close to playing right now. Friday can bring better news, but St. Brown would probably be regarded as a true questionable even if he was able to get in a limited session.
SOURCE: Benjamin Raven on Twitter
Oct 6, 2022, 1:02 PM ET

I don't like the sounds of this injury TBH. I saw somewhere that yesterday (Yahoo maybe?) he was "made it a point to say he could run in a straight line". Feels like a weird thing to state if the injury isn't serious. I guess having the bye ahead changes things a bit, but still... not super encouraging.

Any indication this is a high-ankle sprain? I just traded him for Dameon Pierce. I am short at RB (Swyft out) and long on WR (Pittman, D. Johnson, M. Thomas etc).

Amon-Ra St. Brown (ankle) returned to practice Friday.​

It's a decidedly positive sign for St. Brown's Week 5 availability against the Patriots. St. Brown was among several key Detroit players who missed Week 4, opening up routes and targets for the team's second and third stringers. St. Brown would resume his target-dominating role in the Lions offense if he's a full go against New England.
SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter
Oct 7, 2022, 11:04 AM ET

St Brown could play Sunday

But on the final day of preparation for the New England Patriots, St. Brown is suiting up in an effort to play in New England. His availability is no certainty though. Detroit will be careful with its top offensive skill player, especially with next week’s bye allowing for an additional two weeks of rest.

The above is per local beat writer.

I'm guessing game time decision.

Last edited:
Personally, I think unless he's suddenly 100%, it probably makes more sense to sit him through the bye. Still plenty of options there with TJ, Chark, Reynolds, and Williams.

@davebirkett

Amon-Ra St. Brown didn't stop and talk with reporters in the locker room after practice today, said he had to get to rehab. But he was moving fine on his ankle on his way out the door. Injury report at 4. Feels like a questionable designation coming.

The fact that he came back after the injury and played on it and had some catches makes me think it wasn’t a bad injury. He also strikes me as someone as driven as there is and he will do whatever it takes to get on the field meaning rehab to the max and do everything possible to get back in the lineup.

I have him and Jameson Williams in a keeper league but can’t keep both and it will be a crazy hard decision who to move. St Brown is a heck of a player.

The fact that he came back after the injury and played on it and had some catches makes me think it wasn’t a bad injury. He also strikes me as someone as driven as there is and he will do whatever it takes to get on the field meaning rehab to the max and do everything possible to get back in the lineup.

I have him and Jameson Williams in a keeper league but can’t keep both and it will be a crazy hard decision who to move. St Brown is a heck of a player.
Obviously, you have a ton of time to decide, but as much as I love Williams (I thought he was the best WR in this class even with the knee injury) St. Brown looks like he could be a Kupp level player if things break right.

Users who are viewing this thread