What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Calvin Ridley, TEN (1 Viewer)

I hope everything is OK

However have to think fantasy football related. Should we drop? In my league with short rosters I might. 

I moved him to IR and moved Miles Sanders off. Not dropping yet but he was riding pine for me last two weeks anyway. 

I think going forward, owners/GMs must have wording and language in the contract that discusses these types of issues. I am not down playing the legitimacy of his illness but I think its highly unfair to the other 51-52, however many players, coaches, companies have a lot invested and it can't just be at the player's discretion anytime they want to seek help for mental illness. I would expect he is checking into a "Facility" immediately and is under round the clock care until they can get to the root of the problem. 

I hope he can find what he needs. 

I think going forward, owners/GMs must have wording and language in the contract that discusses these types of issues. I am not down playing the legitimacy of his illness but I think its highly unfair to the other 51-52, however many players, coaches, companies have a lot invested and it can't just be at the player's discretion anytime they want to seek help for mental illness. I would expect he is checking into a "Facility" immediately and is under round the clock care until they can get to the root of the problem. 

Sounds like you have no idea what mental illness involves at all. Bad take all around.

Yea that's not how it works. He could be seeing a shrink regularly. Could be on medication for anxiety and depression already. Sometimes people that suffer from these kinds of illnesses can have an episode at any time. I have multiple family members with this and it's not something you can prepare for. You can only treat as best as you can. 

I wish the young man well. 

The important thing is that he has accepted the fact that he needs guidance and medical assistance.   Get well, Ridley.   

A guy who should have been a top 4 WR? Yes, how ever could you have been so silly.

No one should have had to talk themselves into Ridley. He’s a stud. No one could have foreseen his “personal problems”, whatever those are. 
Actually, yeah.  I had my doubt on him being able to actually be the #1.  It's clear at this point he's having some mental issues and perhaps it's because he's underperforming as a number 1.  

You do you, but perhaps it's best to stop defending the guy blindly.  My opinion is as good as yours and right now I shouldn't have taken him.

Not angry with you, but I'm pretty sure the bolded is an epic fail.

Sounds like you have no idea what mental illness involves at all. Bad take all around.
Are you a Psychiatrist or certified metal health professional? 

Since you know so much and offered so little it doesn't sound like you have a strong grasp on whatever the issue is here. 

I simply said going forward we have entered into an era where people feel they can just raise their hand and stop whatever is happening and say personal issue/mental illness and that's fine but then you need to check in and seek professional help. 

I don't see the reason you need to attack me vs the actual post but whatever floats it for you. 

Not angry with you, but I'm pretty sure the bolded is an epic fail.
I appreciate you not being angry, I'm simply saying many players figure out in the off season and we sometimes are surprised they end a career early but most of the time it doesn't happen Week 8 of the season. 

I do hope he gets well and FTR, I don't have a financial stake of any kind in him being on the field or not, it was just a reaction to his updates today. 

Since you know so much and offered so little it doesn't sound like you have a strong grasp on whatever the issue is here. 

I simply said going forward we have entered into an era where people feel they can just raise their hand and stop whatever is happening and say personal issue/mental illness and that's fine but then you need to check in and seek professional help. 

I don't see the reason you need to attack me vs the actual post but whatever floats it for you. 
I've suffered from a host of mental health issues since I was 12, so while I don't have any medical training, I am /intimately/ close to the topic.

Let me give you a brief overview of what dealing with a single issue is like =  first you think everything is normal because there's no outwards signs of physical issue.   Then the very basics of life become harder to almost impossible, for instance take 25 year old me. I was sitting on my bed one morning before work and felt that I would rather put a loaded gun into my mouth than put my pants on.  At that time I was already in weekly therapy and already taking medication for anxiety and depression, which made it so I was capable of holding down a job in the first place (as I had said before, this has been going on since I was 12).

Now from an outsiders perspective I see myself in Ridley, doing all the right things (or maybe not, maybe he's trying to self medicate or just ignore his problems and this is now the point when he's finally decided to get help) and the problems still getting worse.   And I hear you say "people feel like they can just raise their hand" when raising your hand in that situation is probably the most difficult thing to do... It's so offensive and insensitive to where I was in life. To where this man is in life, that he'd rather shut down than play a game for a living.  Nobody wants to be mentally ill. How you could possibly think it's just an easy way to hide from criticism or that he isn't aware of the other men on his team who need him and that hasn't made it harder to take make this choice to take care of himself...

Just rethink your awful opinion.

Point is it's not a normal knee injury or Achilles where people say "Oh that stinks but it's out of his control." This is something that to an outsider looks like a person has nothing wrong but it's the same as a knee injury or Achilles to your brain. You can't force yourself through it just like you can force yourself to run with a torn ACL. 

I think with more guys coming forward this is going to be a more common place thing where it can be designated during the week as questionable. The fear of backlash is part of the anxiety that keeps guys from speaking up. 

@Ministry of PainI

want to make it clear that I don't think you yourself are "bad" or whatever word I can't find at the moment.  Just that your opinion on the topic, and it's a widely held opinion, is ignorant of the reality of living with this legitimate issue.  Our first through 500th concern should be about ridley and his well being, just like when a player suffers a torn acl or broken arm.  Then we can focus on how we react in the fantasy world (imo hold as there's not enough information, this could be a week issue, it could be a career ending issue).

A lot of what's happening now with athletes bringing mental health to the forefront is a learning process for many.   And it's past due.

I'm one who is pissed Ridley didn't play.  I'm likely done for the season; out of the playoffs.  Small potatoes. 

But even moreso than a physical injury, its shallow to dismiss/ be apathetic about whatever is going on with him.  WE DON'T KNOW and everybody is different.

i hope he gets well soon and gets back to playing a game I hope he loves playing ----

Plain & simple, he should be done for the year. If it's that serious,  football should be the last thing on his mind. Take care of himself and don't leave everyone in limbo every day.

"Hey boss, I know you gave me a $6 million signing bonus, but I'm going to need the day off.  Even though I was mentally strong enough to become one of the most elite athletes on the planet, once I mention mental health, nobody will be allowed to question me on this decision."

"Hey boss, I know you gave me a $6 million signing bonus, but I'm going to need the day off.  Even though I was mentally strong enough to become one of the most elite athletes on the planet, once I mention mental health, nobody will be allowed to question me on this decision."
Sure you can be an ignorant person and criticize him. Many will. Hopefully this will open people's eyes to how debilitating mental Illness can be.

We shouldn't be saying "Guy has that much money to play a game and can't suck it up mentally to play, what a wuss." We should be realizing that a guy has that much money to play a game CANT get himself up mentally to do it. It can happen to anyone regardless of profession or social status.

Sure you can be an ignorant person and criticize him. Many will. Hopefully this will open people's eyes to how debilitating mental Illness can be.

We shouldn't be saying "Guy has that much money to play a game and can't suck it up mentally to play, what a wuss." We should be realizing that a guy has that much money to play a game CANT get himself up mentally to do it. It can happen to anyone regardless of profession or social status.
Then don't sign a contract saying you will fulfill your obligation. 

“No problem @Synthesizer your well being is our priority. Please focus on you.  We will make every possible resource available in order to assist.”

Crazy that people are mad because they spent a 2nd rounder on him in a $100 buy in league. This could potentially save his life.
Thank you.  Imagine how terrible some of these posts would look if instead of taking time off Ridley ended up committing suicide.

If it turns out that he is just being "a wuss", that would make you the ignorant one correct?

Thank you.  Imagine how terrible some of these posts would look if instead of taking time off Ridley ended up committing suicide.
Listening to some of the heartless, “my fantasy team first”, idiotic responses some have had, I’m betting they could care less if he committed siuicide. What a pathetic life some lead when that’s all that matters. I’m praying he and Lane Johnson, and anyone else suffering from this get help and enjoy their God given life. Screw  football (fake or real) over happiness.

I'm pretty old school. I've also had my own battles with addiction and alcohol abuse, which is pretty neatly tied to my anxiety problem. So I can see both sides of the issue. On one hand, people on the outside wonder how this can't be right. How the athlete must feel with the life of the celebrity and all the perks he or she must lead. How can the athlete just willy-nilly decide to abandon his team, his brothers, his responsibility? I can sympathize with that point of view. I love stand-up, dependable, no bull#### guys, too. 

What they do not realize is how crippling these things can be. I can remember sitting, twenty-six like wgoldsph, unable to breathe from panic attacks. Like my throat had been constricted and I had to breathe through a straw. Never forget it. Was it self-induced from drink and drugs? I don't know. But I do know how debilitating even the easiest social situations can be. I dreaded going out, meeting new people. Everything was futile. 

And I didn't have the worst of it. No suicidal ideations whatsoever. If it gets to that point, I can only imagine how others must feel because I can't fathom. 

And neither can most of you guys. Give this guy a bit of a break for a moment. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And being in the spotlight can exasperate these things making it worse not better than it is for a regular Joe

@Ministry of Pain  MoP, this was you just weeks ago: 

1st thing I thought of was that Ridley cannot travel to London due to whatever the local mask/mandates/vaccination rules are and that's about as far as we can discuss things. That said I find it hard to believe he is the ONLY one on 2 NFL teams right now so my brain says it might be more family related and the way Atlanta says Ridley has their full support, he might be going thru something really terrible so I would prefer to just send best wishes until we know more

🤷‍♂️

Edited October 7 by Ministry of Pain

Users who are viewing this thread