What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Chase Claypool, BUF (1 Viewer)

Have to wonder if his NFL career is over. Locker room issue in Pittsburgh and Chicago, and his play does not support overlooking his terrible attitude.

Traded to Miami.

Ian Rapoport
🚨 🚨 🚨

The #Bears are trading WR Chase Claypool to the #Dolphins, sources tell me and @TomPelissero. This ends a prolonged drama and gives Claypool a fresh start. They have tried to trade him since last week after he was a healthy scratch. Now, everyone moves on.

I wouldn’t hold out any hopes that this fresh start will be any different than the ’fresh start’ he had in Chicago.

This kid was originally born in Canada so when his NFL career is over, perhaps he can sign with the Saskatchewan Roughriders or his hometown team, the B.C. Lions

Wonder how this effects Waddle, who already is starving for targets...

Bears traded WR Chase Claypool to the Dolphins in exchange for a 2025 sixth-round draft pick.
The Dolphins will also get a 2025 seventh rounder from the Bears, who have made Claypool a healthy scratch for the past couple weeks after he had persistent on-field effort issues in September. Chicago’s 2022 acquisition of Claypool goes down as one of the worst in recent NFL history, with the Bears parting with a second round draft pick. Claypool had 18 catches in ten games with the Bears. In Miami, it’s hard to envision Claypool, 25, getting any serious playing time or looks in an offense dominated by Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle. He can remain on waiver wires for now.

Don't really see his place in this extremely speed oriented offense. If he was upset with usage in Chicago, I don't see a single way this ends well in a vastly more talented receiving unit.

ETA: ran a 4.42 lol. He's fast, he's just not good.

Don't really see his place in this extremely speed oriented offense. If he was upset with usage in Chicago, I don't see a single way this ends well in a vastly more talented receiving unit.

He was a great blocker in college, he was incredibly soft with the Bears.

Chase Claypool is on the trade block​

According to Jordan Schultz, Bears general manager Ryan Poles is tossing Claypool in trade talks. The Bears want a fifth- or sixth-round pick in return for the possibly still-capable wide receiver.
The Bears likely will have to give a 5th or 6th for someone to take him.

Wonder how this effects Waddle, who already is starving for targets...

Bears traded WR Chase Claypool to the Dolphins in exchange for a 2025 sixth-round draft pick.
The Dolphins will also get a 2025 seventh rounder from the Bears, who have made Claypool a healthy scratch for the past couple weeks after he had persistent on-field effort issues in September. Chicago’s 2022 acquisition of Claypool goes down as one of the worst in recent NFL history, with the Bears parting with a second round draft pick. Claypool had 18 catches in ten games with the Bears. In Miami, it’s hard to envision Claypool, 25, getting any serious playing time or looks in an offense dominated by Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle. He can remain on waiver wires for now.
Based on current standings the Dolphins are dropping down from roughly 188 to 194. Throw in the comp picks and it's 220 to 226.

Only the Panthers, 49ers, and Eagles could have offered less.

If Claypool played last night, could he play on Sunday for Miami?
That's an interesting question and I'm curious to know the answer. Then. A really cool possibility is created where u start one guy and get two games of stats out of it.
I believe Zach Ertz was put in the same type of situation. He wasn't allowed to play Sunday after being traded affer a Thursday night game.

He was a great blocker in college, he was incredibly soft with the Bears.
I think he bought in to his own hype, and got more interested in social media than actually playing football.

This is one of the few spots that may give you a chance to sell

Hill and Waddle are the top dogs. I doubt you can comfortably start Claypool in startem leagues. He could turn into a decent bestball player if he's MIA WR3.

At this point he is a good wr handcuff for if Hill, Waddle, Berrios, Cracraft and Chosen are out. Only if the matchup is good. Also at home. Non primetime game.
I have always wondered if Claypool is playing wrong position and should be a move TE. Perhaps Miami will feel the same, as that's essentially what Gesicki was.

I think Chosen and Cracraft aren't unassailable, if Claypool still cares.

At this point he is a good wr handcuff for if Hill, Waddle, Berrios, Cracraft and Chosen are out. Only if the matchup is good. Also at home. Non primetime game.
I have always wondered if Claypool is playing wrong position and should be a move TE. Perhaps Miami will feel the same, as that's essentially what Gesicki was.

I think Chosen and Cracraft aren't unassailable, if Claypool still cares.
Dudes huge for a wr. Same size at Dalton Kincaid. Interesting possibility.

Claypool comes across as a guy who got paid and then checked out. He had a lot of talent coming into the league.

This is why it's impossible not to respect the great ones (Rice, Manning, Jordan, Woods, Lebron, etc.). They have everything, yet their drive to be great doesn't change.
He was fine with Big Ben throwing him the ball.
He didn't do well with three QBs we mocked- Trubisky, Fields, and rookie Pickett.

How do you judge that?
I can think of a lot of WRs that didn't do well with bad QB play...of course.

Miami already has two young WRs that could be special but never see the field and now we'll never see them play.

I don't know that he's going to be anything other than a big end zone target- I don't see him stepping into a spot where he can prove himself at all.

I saw several poor effort highlights and thought nothing of it. He was not catching the poorly thrown pass and didn't try to. Sure ya always want effort but what's it like to see a fourth pass that you're not going to be able to catch? Gotta be frustrating as all...

I don't have him in any leagues and I'm not saying the guy is any good. I just noticed people were critiquing literally only him for the bad QB play. It wasn't Kmet's or Mooney's or Diontae's. Heck in NY we mock one Wilson but the other Wilson, Lazard, and their TEs never get flack

He could help Miami's short yardage and goal line game. Jet sweeps, blocking, using his size versus smaller CBs on short passes. He should be good on contested catches down field. The QB play has been subpar, so there's a chance he could succeed with Tua. Remember the 4 TD game his 1st year with Big Ben at QB?

With the injuries at WR to Cracraft and Ezukanma, plus Berrios out one day this week with a knee, Grier made the right call IMO.

Claypool comes across as a guy who got paid and then checked out. He had a lot of talent coming into the league.

This is why it's impossible not to respect the great ones (Rice, Manning, Jordan, Woods, Lebron, etc.). They have everything, yet their drive to be great doesn't change.
He was fine with Big Ben throwing him the ball.
He didn't do well with three QBs we mocked- Trubisky, Fields, and rookie Pickett.

How do you judge that?
I can think of a lot of WRs that didn't do well with bad QB play...of course.

Miami already has two young WRs that could be special but never see the field and now we'll never see them play.

I don't know that he's going to be anything other than a big end zone target- I don't see him stepping into a spot where he can prove himself at all.

I saw several poor effort highlights and thought nothing of it. He was not catching the poorly thrown pass and didn't try to. Sure ya always want effort but what's it like to see a fourth pass that you're not going to be able to catch? Gotta be frustrating as all...

I don't have him in any leagues and I'm not saying the guy is any good. I just noticed people were critiquing literally only him for the bad QB play. It wasn't Kmet's or Mooney's or Diontae's. Heck in NY we mock one Wilson but the other Wilson, Lazard, and their TEs never get flack
There's something off with him. He was outed in PIT and quickly tossed to the curb in Chicago

Big end zone target is the first thing that came to mind when considering why Miami would trade for him. It didn't cost them anything. Why not spin the wheel and see if you can tap the talent?

Good coach speak from McDaniel.

>>We had an opportunity to upgrade our team with a talented guy that’s not easily accessible all the time,” McDaniel said. “It’s up to him to see what that looks like. It’s an exciting opportunity... We are very happy with our receiver core... [but] sometimes things come across your radar you weren’t even looking for. If it has a chance to make [you] better, you jump on that.”

Claypool has been criticized at times for allegedly not taking the game seriously enough, but McDaniel said he won’t be pre-judged and has a “clean slate. I’m pretty sure he is aware of the narratives out there.”<<

We are were very happy with our receiver core

Looks like the Miami Herald needs an editor.

Guys and Dolls, I'm available.
Fixed. I think this is an indictment of the Chosen one. After the injuries to Cracraft and Ezukanma, perhaps season-ending in the case of EZE , they realized he is truly a 1-trick pony who can't block and run underneath precision routes.

It's corps. You have core muscles. The core of your team is tough. You have a wide receiver corps.

I agree. I think McDaniel is fantasizing about a motivated and willing Claypool, a big guy who can block and get open with that 4.4 speed. What's to lose?

I don't think it will work, but if it does? Watch out.

Last edited:
was it last year or the year before where he got a first down toward the end of the game and stopped to celebrate while the time ran out, essentially eliminating Pitt from the playoffs let alone with that game. that moment imo defines who he is and seems to me the quick exit from Chicago and the comments coming out cements that notion.

as the fourth of fifth option on the field for MIA, hopefully he won't have any opportunities to screw it up for the team. he certainly has the size and raw skills to be a factor in the redzone, which is how he could negatively affect the other receivers.

You dropped the ball here, he's been MIA for a while
Lol. In the Miami @ CHI game last year, during late game comeback mode, the game where Fields ran for 100+ yards, Claypool was targeted on a long sideline pass which he would've caught if the Miami CB hadn't interfered, but it wasn't called. That may have caught GM Grier's attention. Then Chase was MIA for the remaining games. Strange, cause he seemed to have a role in his very first game in CHI with 6 targets, and 1 rush for 4 yards. He's not a guy who gets separation based on quickness.

Loss of Cracraft and Ekzuma (spelling) means Miami needed a guy that can come in and play. Robbie Chosen is on the Practice sqaud an I think has been elevated twice, so this middling pick lets miami keep chosen off the rest of season roster. Cracraft was Miami's best blocking WR, so perhaps that is the role they envision here as the "other slot" guy and blocker.

It's always a decent move to add cheap talent where you can I guess.

Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel said the team acquired Chase Claypool from the Bears because “he’s fast.”

It’s no secret that McDaniel and Miami decision makers value player speed above all else, and Claypool apparently fits the bill. The Dolphins on Friday traded a 2025 seventh round draft pick for Claypool, who had played his way out of favor in Chicago over the past month. Claypool is worth a pick up in deeper formats. It’s hard to see a path of Claypool to see targets in a Miami offense dominated by Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle, however.

The homer in me says Claypool has a chance to contribute. Great blocker in the run game, adds size to the WR room, good with Big Ben as a rookie, Tua's accuracy. Coach McDaniel will find a way to utilize him.

>>Dolphins tight end Durham Smythe, who played with Claypool for two years at Notre Dame, said “He was obviously very talented player physically. That was evident the minute he got there as a freshman. Obviously, he’s had a lot of success in the league. Things have gotten kind of it seems like a little odd lately. I don’t know all the specifics, not being around those teams or communicate with him lately. I’ve always liked him, liked being in the locker room with him.

“When he first got to Notre Dame, he was almost size he is now and was destroying safeties and corners in the run game which I think is a part of his game that not a lot of people talk about. Physically very talented. Good complement to what we have here. We’re excited to have him.” Asked about his character, Smythe said: “It was always great. People have asked me around the building; I told them straight up he’s a good guy, really is. Good guy, smart guy.<<

Tua took the blame for guys lining up wrong in Buffalo game. McDaniel said wasn't Tua's fault and he was covering for someone. That someone probably was Chosen. Think Mike got tired of that and the not blocking.

Out of curiosity how this works. His team played Thursday but he was inactive. I would imagine he is eligible to play this weekend for Mia?

He should be good on contested catches down field.
He just isn't good in this situation. In jump ball contested catch opportunities down field you can expect him to go up, not catch the ball, then fall down.
Hopefully, Claypool will do some of this in Miami: https://youtu.be/eqQliCrdizM?feature=shared
Hopefully for MIA it works out that way. I have watched most Steelers games and the highlight you showed was an exception to the rule I mentioned: Claypool falls down a lot (especially in contested catch scenarios).

Claypool falls down a lot

Just watched a Bears game where he didn't high point but instead fell backwards and to the ground. The ball bounced away harmlessly, and the announcer pointed out that you'd "like to see him high point that." But then see that very first game of his career against the Giants where he makes that circus catch high-pointing a ball on the sideline while toe tapping, and you immediately think, "All-Star."

I think it's all about effort for him. If he tries, he flies. If he gets in his own head and thinks, he stinks.

Users who are viewing this thread